Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Every Mario cookie I have eaten, and indeed every Mario cake (which is the 3D version) has been unique, enjoyable, and something I would recommend to my gaming friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Bicyclops posted:

Cookie cutters are okay when you're baking delicious cookies, with a recipe that you've perfected that your friends and family all enjoy.

until your aunt brings round a new brownie recipe and you wonder why the gently caress you're still eating these dumb cookies

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I made a new recipe, it involves replacing the dough and chocolate chips with feces.

But hey at least its not the same-old-same-old recipe.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stux posted:

im not gonna lie and say that wasnt different, but of course nintendo went back to the boring cookie cutter afterwards because heaven forbid they do something different. see also: US/EU super mario bros 2

There are tons of "new formula" Mario games they are just called something else instead of being "Super Mario 52" or whatever.

- A few Tetris-like games
- Actual Tetris
- A turn-based RPG series
- A few board game series (I think there might be more of these than actual mario games, counting various iterations)
- Various sports, especially golf
- A breakout-like game
- A ghostbusting game (with Luigi)
- An isometric platformer (with Toad)
- Probably a ton of other poo poo I can't think of right now

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Your aunt isn't going to put weed in the brownies, Stux.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Not every game has to reinvent the wheel

virtually every game ever made is an iterative improvement and the amount of games that are truly innovative is mind bendingly small - search your feelings, you know it to be true. not a dig at nintendo tho - they do iterative improvement better than almost anyone and just don't feel the need to cloak it in a new artstyle to fool people into thinking it's a revelation

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

univbee posted:

There are tons of "new formula" Mario games they are just called something else instead of being "Super Mario 52" or whatever.

- A Tetris-like game
- Actual Tetris
- A turn-based RPG series
- A few board game series (I think there might be more of these than actual mario games, counting various iterations)
- Various sports, especially golf
- A breakout-like game
- A ghostbusting game (with Luigi)
- An isometric platformer (with Toad)
- Probably a ton of other poo poo I can't think of right now

ah yes all mediocre and well played out genres other people did first that they have half-assed and put mario on to sell more.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
thank god we had nintendo around otherwise we wouldve never have had *looks at post it note* golf and tennis.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hopefully in Fallout Bawhstan they'll let me drive around a cahhh.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Stux what video games do you enjoy

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I can't believe taint reaping is contagious.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stux posted:

ah yes all mediocre and well played out genres other people did first that they have half-assed and put mario on to sell more.

Nintendo is pretty much single-handedly responsible for Tetris being a thing at all. Without Nintendo, Tetris would have gone the way of Links [name of CPU series here] of being a thing you play on your PC along with Solitaire and Minesweeper when you think your boss isn't looking.

And you take that back about Super Mario RPG! :mad:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

virtually every game ever made is an iterative improvement and the amount of games that are truly innovative is mind bendingly small - search your feelings, you know it to be true. not a dig at nintendo tho - they do iterative improvement better than almost anyone and just don't feel the need to cloak it in a new artstyle to fool people into thinking it's a revelation

Yeah, it's true. You can probably count them on one hand, and the truly innovative ones are often very clunky, because they're still kind of learning how to do new stuff.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
What's this? Somebody ruthlessly making GBS threads on Nintendo for making decades of solid-to-spectacular games?

*sniffs air*

Yep, E3's comin'..

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

yeah

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

What's this? Somebody ruthlessly making GBS threads on Nintendo for making decades of solid-to-spectacular games?

*sniffs air*

Yep, E3's comin'..

It's stux; this is a year-round activity for him. He, Adam Bowen and the actual reaper roam through threads, looking for taints.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I will not fall for some troll for I am a gamer and not some idiot.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Great E3 Pastime of declaring Nintendo dead every year

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really don't like EA or Ubisoft, but I prefer to talk about the games that I like and plan to enjoy and am excited about, with maybe an occasional joke about how bad the conference is overall or laugh about a company's big flubs, like the guy they had presenting Hyrule Warriors last year who said "You can taste the epic" and died several times playing the easy mode of a Musou game.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

"I hope Nintendo stops making games and dies," says Man as he genuflects in the glow of Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How many Assassin's Creed games are currently in development again?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Funky Valentine posted:

Stux what video games do you enjoy

the current games i am playing are call of duty, destiny, bloodborne, mass effect, MGSVGZ (thanks Sony), axiom verge and P4G. also constantly have spelunky, BoI etc on the go on the vita obviously. i love lots of many games over many platforms.

univbee posted:

Nintendo is pretty much single-handedly responsible for Tetris being a thing at all. Without Nintendo, Tetris would have gone the way of Links [name of CPU series here] of being a thing you play on your PC along with Solitaire and Minesweeper when you think your boss isn't looking.

And you take that back about Super Mario RPG! :mad:

who cares about tetris when i have candy crush

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

How many Assassin's Creed games are currently in development again?

More than any human can count.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

until your aunt brings round a new brownie recipe and you wonder why the gently caress you're still eating these dumb cookies

Aunt Ubisoft slyly disposes of cheap ready-made open-world brownie mix box while u aren't looking

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

assassin's creed is basically the new megaman, except people actually buy asscreed games

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fun uncle, Bethesda, shows up with his patented bourbon balls, which are always a little weird-shaped and he does the same thing every year, always bringing them to the party a bit late because he took too long to make make them, but gently caress it, they taste decent and eating a couple will get you pretty buzzed.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Bicyclops posted:

It's stux; this is a year-round activity for him. He, Adam Bowen and the actual reaper roam through threads, looking for taints.

How does one not notice a reaping coming? Seriously it's like a dog going right for your crotch.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Miyamoto walks on stage, announces Zelda Tetra Trackers Wii U with online multi, drops mic, nintendo wins e3

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Motto posted:

assassin's creed is basically the new megaman, except people actually buy asscreed games

True, all of them after the second one are bad. The gritty futuristic reboots of Mega Man are actually good, though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Miyamoto walks on stage, announces Zelda Tetra Trackers Wii U with online multi, drops mic, nintendo wins e3

dont see why this would win when im sure that ubisoft and activision will also be showing off low effort instalments in their own games as well, both of which sell a ton more than any nintendo property does now.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

who actually looks forward to assassins creed games at this point? even troglodytes in siberia must be aware that it's an amazing premise covering for utter, utter dross.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Aunt Ubisoft spends like half the party talking up her Brownie Features but when the tinfoil is removed you see they are only QTBs (Quick Time Brownies) and she did not spend much time on them at all

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
aunt activision says her new cake is pretty good and it turns out it has a jetpack and 12 layers of frosting and loving hell why is ur mom making these stupid cookies anymore, the only person who cares are your grandparnets

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
the joke is only old people play nintendo games still

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I have very low opinions of people who enjoy AssCreed gameplay. If you like the setting and environments, that's whatever, but good god the gameplay is loving retarded and boring. And repetatitatitatitatitatitatitatitatitatitatitatitatitatitatitatitatitatitatitatitatitative.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I liked the pirate parts of the pirate one. It could have been a pretty good pirate game if they'd just focused on that

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Me when I'm 80 and Neo-neo-neo-Nintendo announces Wii Music 2

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Generic Monk posted:

who actually looks forward to assassins creed games at this point? even troglodytes in siberia must be aware that it's an amazing premise covering for utter, utter dross.

The set they did/are doing with locations from around the world made me almost consider buying one, but the lesson I learned from Liberation's potentially cool concept being executed terribly was too strong. Honestly if they dispensed with the rest of the game and just made it Run Around on Cool Architecture Simulator like Mirror's Edge I'd be more interested.

Where the gently caress is Mirror's Edge give me Mirror's Edge.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Your cousin, Konami, has decided he isn't bringing dessert anymore, and all of the presents he brought for the holidays are just lottery tickets wrapped in tinfoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

can't wait to see xenobladex and it just be the translation team running around in the japanese version rambling about how they'll randomly rename things for an hour again

• Locked thread