Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elucidarius posted:

I mean, I guess in the grand scheme of Battleworld I didn't see how it fit. Why couldn't these people just ask Doom to move them to a new kingdom? I'll probably buy #2 but I just felt like it would make more sense on its own not tied into anything.

I don't really think there is a way for the non nobles to petition Doom for redress, and as mentioned a few times, travel between kingdoms is rather hard (unauthorized travel even gets the attention of Strange). And like any oppressed people what's to make you think that any other kingdom wants them?

Related to that how big are kingdoms? I swear a couple of them seem like they're the size of the all US or even the whole earth? I mean I'm sure there is a sliding scale or loose rules for story purposes, but they all seem huge compared to an incursion point.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

gfanikf posted:

I don't really think there is a way for the non nobles to petition Doom for redress as and as mentioned a few times, travel between kingdoms is rather hard (unauthorized travel even gets the attention of strange). And like any oppressed people what's to make you think that any other kingdom wants them.

Related to that how big are kingdoms? I swear a couple of them seem like they're the size of the all US or even the whole earth? I mean I'm sure there is a sliding scale or loose rules for story purposes, but they all seem huge compared to an incursion point.

Good point.

I was wondering how large they were too because in Years of Future Past Kelly mentioned landing in New York and "The United Doomstates" which makes it seem like it is the same size as the US.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
I like the idea Doom makes an effective God, not only because DOOM!, but also because he has prior experience making a universe and being God. He has already tried and failed to make a world in his image.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gfanikf posted:

I don't really think there is a way for the non nobles to petition Doom for redress, and as mentioned a few times, travel between kingdoms is rather hard (unauthorized travel even gets the attention of Strange). And like any oppressed people what's to make you think that any other kingdom wants them?

Chris Sims talked about it on Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men and in he and Chad Bowers' original pitch for X-Men '92, they talked about sending them to all those '90s locales like Genosha and Madripoor and editorial nixed it, explaining that they're not on a whole planet, so I wonder if different editors are using different sized sections.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Elucidarius posted:

I mean, I guess in the grand scheme of Battleworld I didn't see how it fit. Why couldn't these people just ask Doom to move them to a new kingdom? I'll probably buy #2 but I just felt like it would make more sense on its own not tied into anything.
Because Doom explicitly forbade travel between Regions?

Endless Mike posted:

Chris Sims talked about it on Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men and in he and Chad Bowers' original pitch for X-Men '92, they talked about sending them to all those '90s locales like Genosha and Madripoor and editorial nixed it, explaining that they're not on a whole planet, so I wonder if different editors are using different sized sections.
Yeah, Westchester's a very small region on Battleworld, while a lot are much larger.

I recommend everyone listen to that episode of Rachel & Miles, it's amazing. :allears: Albeit with very mild spoilers for X-Men '92.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Domalom posted:

I like the idea Doom makes an effective God, not only because DOOM!, but also because he has prior experience making a universe and being God. He has already tried and failed to make a world in his image.

The next panel was Valeria just nodding at her wacky uncle doom wasnt it?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

That interview makes me hate how long we have to wait for a print version. It just sounds amazingly fun.

The twins in Lilttle AvsX can't be the Maximoffs, there's already a Lil Scarlet Witch. I liked when she is pushing Lil Rogue and Rogue does not look up from her phone.

Years of future past was not bad. I enjoy the setting and I like how it tries to be in tune with the Claremont era. Rachael having her hound outfit was neat too.

Renew Your Vows was pretty meh. I like the idea of Spider-Man having to go outside his comfort zone to protect his family, but over all it fell flat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unnnngh the worst part of this even is that the tie-ins cant even compete with the main series. This is the worst feeling!

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

The twins in Lilttle AvsX can't be the Maximoffs, there's already a Lil Scarlet Witch. I liked when she is pushing Lil Rogue and Rogue does not look up from her phone.

Wow, totally didn't even notice. I just assumed it was poking fun at the whole Disney vs Fox thing.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
When was the last time we saw the face of Doom? I mean, my head just about exploded but I don't notice anyone else mentioning it so..

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not many times. This is certainly the most hosed up looking he's been tho.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I haven't been reading a regular series since I was in high school, and I seriously don't know how you people do this. 22 pages of Secret Wars, and then double super cliffhanger, wait until December (or maybe even later!) before you'll see the whole story! I just read all of Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers over a week to learn the backstory for Secret Wars, and I cannot handle going to a one-a-month schedule, especially now that dates are starting to slip.

I seriously have to just forget about this until next year.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Elucidarius posted:

Wow, totally didn't even notice. I just assumed it was poking fun at the whole Disney vs Fox thing.

What other twins are there? The Struckers?

But yea, when I saw the post, that's what I assumed they had done.

And yea, that Doom face was pretty awesome. The only other times I can remember seeing Doom maskless they showed him having scars or burns. Missing a whole nose and lips and teeth just grotesque.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's still a Fox/Marvel joke even if that's not them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're also poking fun on their own stuff seeing as Battleworld has a panel making fun of Avengers Arena.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

What other twins are there? The Struckers?

But yea, when I saw the post, that's what I assumed they had done.

And yea, that Doom face was pretty awesome. The only other times I can remember seeing Doom maskless they showed him having scars or burns. Missing a whole nose and lips and teeth just grotesque.

It kind of reminded me about Kingdom of Heaven and the scene where the King dies and we see Eva Green remove his mask, showing Ed Norton's face destroyed by leprosy.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

SynthOrange posted:

The next panel was Valeria just nodding at her wacky uncle doom wasnt it?

Future Val kisses Doom on the cheek, tells Doom to say thank you and he tells Reed they're even.

Then she looks at Doom's old kingdom and says "Here I can build"

Fantastic Four #611( I read it today for the first time)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I still say adult Franklin and Valeria were spared or somehow will jump start the new multiverse.

I'd love to see them be the future for the M.U. like the Fantastic Four were for Marvel. "First superhero family" type stuff.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It just hit me that thanks to the 8 year gap Franklin and Valeria now make sense being drawn as 10-11 year olds.

EDIT: Then again this Susan is just Susan Storm and I doubt Doom would keep the Richards name around (has any other Reed been shown in any of the zones?) so who loving knows. If they are copies of 616 then maybe?

I also really like Susan's new costume.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 4, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I read Renew Your Vows and Armor Wars and they were so bad that I dont even want to bother with the rest of this weeks tie ins.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm pretty sure the white event that Franklin Richards and Valeria took part in when they "jumped" was in fact this event and their alive.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

net cafe scandal posted:

I read Renew Your Vows and Armor Wars and they were so bad that I dont even want to bother with the rest of this weeks tie ins.

Read Battleworld and Giant Sized Little Marvels AvX, they will save you.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure the white event that Franklin Richards and Valeria took part in when they "jumped" was in fact this event and their alive.

I think that was just time catching up to them wherever it was they were working from. That jump led them directly to facing the Mad Celestials so it's a neat idea but I doubt it.

Adult Valeria and Nathaniel probably got wind of incursions from the council gates as they closed/lost connection permanently. Franklin likely survived and may come into play to fight Beyonders (if they return). I'd love to see them again.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

net cafe scandal posted:

I kind of didn't like any of the tie-ins this week all that much, but Armor Wars stuck out to me as particularly awful.

Did Robinson wake up one morning, realize the script was due that afternoon, and just summarized that one bit on Technopolis that Hickman presented as part of his 256 slide SECRET WARS Power Point that Robinson half-remembered at the writer's retreat?

TNG fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 4, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I'll drop Battleworld. It really doesnt add much at all.

Master of Kung Fu was pretty good tho, even if lol Cypher dies again

Nothing else really looked interesting enough to pick up, or scared me off. Peter David, writing Hulk? Oh yess... OH gently caress ITS GREG LAND.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hey so uh what ever happened to Stark? Last thing I remember was he was in the shamecube and spiderwoman and black window were walking away from him as he was screaming he was the only one who could save them. Then there was a shot with the other illuminati looking at his broken cube and blood and some metal and a spine were there and everyone was sad. Is he a baron on some dumb techno-robot world and they just....never showed what happened or do I need to read the Iron Man series to see?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uh did you skip the last few issues of Avengers?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wasn't that original Stark in Ultimate End?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Armor Wars was way too much set up and too much "As you know" dialog. One thing I did like was the design of Spyder-Man.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hakkesshu posted:

Wasn't that original Stark in Ultimate End?

Unless they pop up elsewhere and explain how they survived an incursion, Cap and Tony are super dead. The Stark from Ultimate End is the same as everyone else in Battleworld: a creation of Doom.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
tony and caps corpses are giant sized and sitting next to the life raft the cabal came out of probably.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Infinity Gauntlet was really drat good in both the story and art department.

Inferno was okay, felt like a bit of a slog and poorly paced, though I'm find with the story overall. I thought the Scott as Xavier art was neat.

The Inhuman tie in was good too.

X Men 92 was awesome if you read it in the voices of the cartoon characters.

I still have a couple of others from the week and last week to finish, but man most of the tie ins are pretty good and not making things easy for my wallet in the future.

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009
So at the end of the second Battleworld 2 story was that actually supposed to be Doom getting pissed or just a Doom stand-in by Arcade ?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

Hey so uh what ever happened to Stark? Last thing I remember was he was in the shamecube and spiderwoman and black window were walking away from him as he was screaming he was the only one who could save them. Then there was a shot with the other illuminati looking at his broken cube and blood and some metal and a spine were there and everyone was sad.
Why didn't you just read the last issues of Avengers/New Avengers, if you already made it that far?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 4, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I caved and read the rest of the tie-ins. Kind of a mistake since the only thing I really enjoyed was Little AvX and Kung-Fu #2. On the bright side we're getting Ghost Racers next week :mrgw:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just looked at the July 1st tie in costs. Around $70. :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just cut it down to the ones you're interested in.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Secret Wars #3 was totally awesome, but I really hope the delays for #4 and #5 are so Ribic can learn how to stop drawing O-faces...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's a little weird, I never noticed that problem in his older work. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

It's a little weird, I never noticed that problem in his older work. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

You weren't because he does that every-loving-where. I find it hilarious every time so I don't mind but it's his go-to face.

• Locked thread