Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Chi Chi Gonzalez throws a CGSO in his second big league start against what's overall been a pretty good offense, Rangers in sole possession of 2nd.

Come here, Astros :henget:

I want a time machine to go back to late April and tell myself this team would be in a Wildcard spot and just 4.5 out of best in the AL in a little over a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I always forget Keaton is a huge Buccos fan.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm amazed that somebody already did a watercolor of the altercation.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I want a time machine to go back to late April and tell myself this team would be in a Wildcard spot and just 4.5 out of best in the AL in a little over a month.

I have made a deliberate effort to be optimistic about this season but even I would have called bullshit on that. Baseball is weird.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Batman tells you to shut the gently caress up. How do you recover from that?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm amazed that somebody already did a watercolor of the altercation.

Where

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
N: The Yankees had an 8-1 lead going into the 9th and squeaked by with an 8-7 win. Betances' ERA went from 0.00 to 0.30 :rip:

V:

There, in the picture in the tweet, because it is terrible quality.

:thejoke:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sox just won in the 11th offa walk-off HPB.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Avisail owns, what do you want

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Just saw the Venditte highlights, and this owns. LaRussa's gonna trade Goldschmidt for him.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jose Oquendo posted:

I mean he's from Robinson Township so it isn't that hard to believe

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does Keaton live in Atlanta? Why was he at the game?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

The Batman can do whatever the gently caress he wants.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rand alPaul posted:

He's a big Pirates fan

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ice To Meet You posted:

This already happened, he had surgery on his right labrum and pitched as a lefty for Italy in the 2013 WBC.

Wait, maybe I misunderstand exactly how debilitating a labrum injury is but wouldn't that impede your ability to field if you played with that kind of injury?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
If I weren't born a Reds fan, I'd probably root for the Pirates.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I'm sure some of you have heard about the fan at the Red Sox game who was injured by the shard of a shattered bat. The injuries, if what I read is to be believed, are life-threatening.

In the NHL, when a little girl (I think it was a girl) was injured and later died after being hit in the head by an errant shot that went over the glass, they quickly added netting to prevent that from happening again. But you can't feasibly add enough netting to keep bats and balls out of the stands... and that said, if this person dies, I can't believe they'll just do nothing.

Isn't it the maple bats that shatter the most? Especially into dangerous fragments that sometimes end up sticking up out of the infield. I wonder if they'd just say, "Hey, it was fun for a while, but making bats out of the wooden equivalent of glass turned out to be a bad idea. No more." Maybe a return to only allowing ash and hickory models is in the cards?

This is just wild speculation, but many people have been concerned about the safety of maple bats in recent years, and this could be the impetus for making a change.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Like 5 years ago they made some alteration to how they made maple bats and they break a lot less now

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
N:

V:

Fire everybody, burn Safeco to the ground and salt the earth

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
:agreed:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Where's Bill Bavasi when you need him?

I'm sure the AL East teams would appreciate the chance to poach more of Seattle's promising talent.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
N: Stanton at Coors hits a 484 shot, the longest in the league so far this year.

V: Coors + Stanton yup.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Benne posted:

N:

V:

the rays will not be stopped

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

Benne posted:

N:

V:

Let the meaningless firings and long overdue DFA's begin!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groucho Marxist posted:

Like 5 years ago they made some alteration to how they made maple bats and they break a lot less now

They still explode into giant javelin-like shivs. I think it'd be better to ban them. A player is going to die from one of those.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

They still explode into giant javelin-like shivs. I think it'd be better to ban them. A player is going to die from one of those.

RIP Tyler Colvin

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Rand alPaul posted:

This is my problem with them. And even if the rate has gone down, bats break all the time. I'm a little curious as to what the stats are, actually--I'd be amazed if no one was counting these.

Even if they didn't pose a safety risk--and they undeniably do--there is another good reason to get rid of them: how many broken-bat dingers do you see in a year? Broken bats turn base hits into easy outs, they turn great cuts into glorified bunts, and they turn dingers into shallow outfield flyouts. If we have to have something that breaks apart during play, how about some balls designed in such a way that you can literally knock the cover off the drat thing? Like in The Natural. Rip the cover off the ball, and it's a Torn Ball Triple or something.

Ball destroyed by bat: fun for everybody, stories to last a lifetime. Bat destroyed by ball: "Oh, gee, another out. It is fun to watch this."

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

tarlibone posted:

This is my problem with them. And even if the rate has gone down, bats break all the time. I'm a little curious as to what the stats are, actually--I'd be amazed if no one was counting these.

Even if they didn't pose a safety risk--and they undeniably do--there is another good reason to get rid of them: how many broken-bat dingers do you see in a year? Broken bats turn base hits into easy outs, they turn great cuts into glorified bunts, and they turn dingers into shallow outfield flyouts. If we have to have something that breaks apart during play, how about some balls designed in such a way that you can literally knock the cover off the drat thing? Like in The Natural. Rip the cover off the ball, and it's a Torn Ball Triple or something.

Ball destroyed by bat: fun for everybody, stories to last a lifetime. Bat destroyed by ball: "Oh, gee, another out. It is fun to watch this."

Time to turn to aluminum and find out just how far Stanton can hit a baseball.

Also probably kill some pitchers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

God drat the sound of that hit is bizarre.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Benne posted:

N:

V:

:agreed:

gently caress this team, gently caress McClendon, and especially gently caress Jackie Z. We wasted Ichiro's career, and now we're wasting Felix's.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Yep, the Mariners are goddamn depressing. Time to go back to rooting for the Blue Jays full ti - oh wait

They at least score runs I guess

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

God drat the sound of that hit is bizarre.

That's because the mic is picking up the motherfucking doppler effect from that ball being hit so loving hard

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

tarlibone posted:

Watching a pitcher own batters by destroying their bats is pretty fun, yes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

tarlibone posted:

how many broken-bat dingers do you see in a year?

This year i've seen at least one http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/11493214/v57985583. That admittedly didn't count. Dangit Nap you were looking so cool in spring training :(

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

canadianclassic posted:

Yep, the Mariners are goddamn depressing. Time to go back to rooting for the Blue Jays full ti - oh wait

They at least score runs I guess

Aaron Sanchez can be good

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

You could tell it was out when the TV guy just started cackling as soon as he made contact

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Super Jay Mann posted:

Wait, maybe I misunderstand exactly how debilitating a labrum injury is but wouldn't that impede your ability to field if you played with that kind of injury?

I would imagine the recovery time needed from TJS on a non-throwing arm would be a lot less than if it was the throwing arm, at least fielding-wise.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
I don't know why I follow this dumb team from the other side of the Pacific so fanatically, especially when I have no attachment at all to Seattle. I hate baseball. Shoot everyone not named Nelson 'Hernandez' Seager into the sun and trade the remains of the franchise to Las Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm thinking it's pretty close to the Mariners season being over. We're 9.5 behind the Astros, 5.5 in the Wild Card (I guess that's doable?) seems so far away now. A 7 game losing streak, Fernando Rodney's 6.94 ERA with Lloyd refusing to replace him as closer, Robinson Cano hitting like poo poo, Dustin Ackley having to consistently play and be garbage, Zunino unable to not strike out, the rotation is poo poo with two injuries, and our bench bats can't hit to save their lives. On top of that, all of the team's top prospects aren't performing very well in the minors at all.

• Locked thread