Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Since I got to Skellige I can't use anything but Igni. Is this a badly-explained plot thing, or a bug?

Nah, that seems to be a bug. I think somebody else here had the same thing happening and managed to fix it by mounting the horse, which automatically switches your selected sign to Axii, using that once, then dismounting again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Nah, that seems to be a bug. I think somebody else here had the same thing happening and managed to fix it by mounting the horse, which automatically switches your selected sign to Axii, using that once, then dismounting again.

That fixed it, thanks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hallowed posted:

Two questions from a level 8 Witcher:

1) When and where do I get the first bear armour quest and what level do I need to be before I attempt it?

2) Where are the hairdressers? I want a ponytail.

Bear armour is level 17, if I recall correctly, so you're a ways off yet.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So apparently if you want to play Lambert for Gwent: Old Friends and you've done the Eye for an Eye quest, he'll be in the Nowhere Inn in the bits, near the stairs leading up to the bride district. He is in no way, shape or form marked. In fact, the game had me pointed to Kaer Morhen. I found him completely by accident blindly wandering through every door I saw for exploration's sake.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I ran into my first decision where I disagreed with Ciri. It had to do with a circus troop needing horses and a guy wouldn't sell to them so they were going to rob them. My Geralt thought it was a really stupid idea to steal horses in a city that burns non-humans/freaks. Then I had to beat up a clown and Ciri was all teen angst about it. Look theft is wrong!

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I spent 10k at the pellar buying all his loving glyph recipes and now I discover I can't combine a bunch of my lesser glyphs. Is this just a known bug? I have a ton of less glyphs of igni, but the crafting menu says I have 0.

This appears to be a result of an earlier bug were normal glyphs were named "lesser" in your inventory. It's "fixed" in that now normal glyphs will be named as such when you pick them up, but the misnamed glyphs you already had in your inventory will still have the wrong names and won't let you combine them.

If you have a "lesser" glyph with a +5% intensity that's a misnamed one you won't be able to combine. Actual lesser glyphs have +2% intensity.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 6, 2015

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Levantine posted:

So apparently if you want to play Lambert for Gwent: Old Friends and you've done the Eye for an Eye quest, he'll be in the Nowhere Inn in the bits, near the stairs leading up to the bride district. He is in no way, shape or form marked. In fact, the game had me pointed to Kaer Morhen. I found him completely by accident blindly wandering through every door I saw for exploration's sake.

Hopefully they add an unplayed player icon at some point for Gwent. It's a real lovely chore to keep tracking them down past like level 20. There's online maps but switching in and out of game is not smooth.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Since the patch, I can't craft any more greater mutagens. It just tells me "Already Produced". I have the mats, it just wont let me make another. is there a way around that?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Levantine posted:

Since the patch, I can't craft any more greater mutagens. It just tells me "Already Produced". I have the mats, it just wont let me make another. is there a way around that?

Drop 'em like they're hot.

Levantine posted:

Heh, when I finished his quest I already had the Old Friends quest and luckily immediately talked to him after I finished it.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Levantine posted:

Drop the ones you already have on the ground while you craft. Seems like a really annoying bug, but at least the workaround isn't hard.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Generic Monk posted:

so that's where you get asschematics for glyphs - is there a similar one for runestones? I keep getting lesser ones but just sell them on becuase I only have one bog standard schematic and all my slots are full with the few greater ones I've found

Pellar has schematics for both glyphs and runes.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
So I think I've run into a bug of some sort? In the quest "A Deadly Plot" I'm supposed to meet Dijkstra at the Passiflora. I go there, talk to Serenity, she tells me she knows why I'm here and says "this way please" - and then nothing. Just stands there fanning herself. The quest marker is still on her, but I can't talk to her. What happen.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

botany posted:

So I think I've run into a bug of some sort? In the quest "A Deadly Plot" I'm supposed to meet Dijkstra at the Passiflora. I go there, talk to Serenity, she tells me she knows why I'm here and says "this way please" - and then nothing. Just stands there fanning herself. The quest marker is still on her, but I can't talk to her. What happen.

There should be a hidden door in the wall opening up right beside her, giving you a way up some stairs. She herself doesn't move, and I think neither does the quest maker until you've made it all the way to the top.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Levantine posted:

Same issue with White Gull (and the other alcohols I guess). Not a big issue though, as you can produce one once you've used your existing White Gull in another alchemy recipe.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Perestroika posted:

There should be a hidden door in the wall opening up right beside her, giving you a way up some stairs. She herself doesn't move, and I think neither does the quest maker until you've made it all the way to the top.

Okay I just watched a video of that quest on youtube and it seems like Serenity was just in the wrong room in my game. I walked into the right room - where she definitely wasn't - but the conversation I had just had with her triggered a second time, I got teleported to where we talked the first time, and this time she walked into the right room and the quest proceeded as planned :v:

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Levantine posted:

An eye for an eye has nothing to do with Lambert, it only involves Roche right? I did it and Lambert is nowhere to be seen. Do you mean Following the Thread?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Spikeguy posted:

I ran into my first decision where I disagreed with Ciri. It had to do with a circus troop needing horses and a guy wouldn't sell to them so they were going to rob them. My Geralt thought it was a really stupid idea to steal horses in a city that burns non-humans/freaks. Then I had to beat up a clown and Ciri was all teen angst about it. Look theft is wrong!

Stop whining, Geralt.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
God I love rock trolls in this game :allears:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

None of my mods work anymore :cry:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Okay, mostly play on the weekends, so I'm only about ten hours in (mostly spent side-questing). What's up with parry and why does the Witcher flinch and take damage every time I do it? Doesn't seem to matter what I do it against, whether it's a sword, ax, or wolf's jaws. Is it like the 2nd game where I have to upgrade an ability before it's actually useful?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You probably are just guarding instead of parrying. Try hitting the button closer to when the enemy is about to hit you. If you guard and the enemy does a heavy attack it'll break the guard and Geralt will get stumbled, and if they do a light attack you'll both flinch but you won't take damage. But if you don't press the guard button until right when the attack is about to hit you, Geralt will counter and do a shoulder ram or a kick, which stumbles the enemy.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Is the actual criterion of entry to the Lodge being a woman mage or is it just being a mage who wears a shirt with an opening in the middle?

Also Philippa's "gently caress you *flies away*" at the end of the elven ruins is a hoot.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

CJacobs posted:

You probably are just guarding instead of parrying. Try hitting the button closer to when the enemy is about to hit you. If you guard and the enemy does a heavy attack it'll break the guard and Geralt will get stumbled, and if they do a light attack you'll both flinch but you won't take damage. But if you don't press the guard button until right when the attack is about to hit you, Geralt will counter and do a shoulder ram or a kick, which stumbles the enemy.

I guess I'm just hitting too early, then. I think there's an upgrade that adds slow down at the right moment?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is, it's pretty useful if you guard a lot, although the slowdown is a bit hard to notice if you're playing at 60fps because it stays so drat smooth.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CJacobs posted:

In addition to that, parrying can also have certain special effects against some enemies. Against drowners and I think wolves/dogs, you get in a lightly damaging sword hit, against grave hags' tongue attack, it will cut off their tongue entirely, and against sirens' and harpies' swooping attack it will knock them on the ground in front of you.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Perestroika posted:

In addition to that, parrying can also have certain special effects against some enemies. Against drowners and I think wolves/dogs, you get in a lightly damaging sword hit, against grave hags' tongue attack, it will cut off their tongue entirely, and against sirens' and harpies' swooping attack it will knock them on the ground in front of you.

Wow, this is pretty useful. I'll make a better attempt to use parrying in the future.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
So it was our dev friend who wrote that blacksmith's line about the heat of the furnace being somethin' awful, right? :allears:

Also pretty excited about that bulletin board message about a white whale. I wonder if it really exists and if so, where and can I kill it?

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

botany posted:

God I love rock trolls in this game :allears:

I absolutely love their complete enthusiasm about doing whatever little task they do.
Making nekker soup, thinking about rocks, making elves soup, guarding boats with boats, making human soup - a troll is just so happy to do whatever it does .

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

nickmeister posted:

Wow, this is pretty useful. I'll make a better attempt to use parrying in the future.

Just look at the health bar, it will flash red when you can parry.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Ran into a distressed person near the Hanged Man's Tree cross road marker in Velen but I can't find the key to unlock his cage. Various forums seem to say that it's a bug where the bandit chief despawns? Is there a way to fix it with the console or something now?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Speaking of rock trolls, nothing made me like Geralt as much as when (troll sidequest) I chose to have Geralt paint the bird symbol, and he stepped back from the 2nd grade-level painting with a "not half bad, I guess" nod. Looking up the result of letting the troll paint makes this way funnier.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

WarpedLichen posted:

Ran into a distressed person near the Hanged Man's Tree cross road marker in Velen but I can't find the key to unlock his cage. Various forums seem to say that it's a bug where the bandit chief despawns? Is there a way to fix it with the console or something now?

If you rest nearby the bandits despawn and doesn't respawn. The merchant has absolutely nothing of value though, so it's no big loss.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Speaking of rock trolls, nothing made me like Geralt as much as when (troll sidequest) I chose to have Geralt paint the bird symbol, and he stepped back from the 2nd grade-level painting with a "not half bad, I guess" nod. Looking up the result of letting the troll paint makes this way funnier.
Birdo Ugooly

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Don't get me wrong: I'm really thankful the XP situation is all sorted out.

But man, it really highlights how screwed this game's XP (and difficulty) curve is. I'm consistently about five levels higher than any new main quests I'm given, and the more side quests I do (even if I only do the "bigger" ones), the larger that gap gets. I went ahead and turned the game up to Death March, which is helping a little bit in that I die a lot faster if I screw up, but jeez.

Then again, I'm pretty sure I had a similar experience with The Witcher 2, wherein it was really difficult at first and then got trivial by the end.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

WarpedLichen posted:

This happened to me and I fixed it by spawning the key in with CheatEngine, and I imagine you can do the same thing using the console AddItem command if you can figure out what the key's internal name is.

In my case with CheatEngine I loaded a save from before the Deserter Leader had vanished and killed him in order to figure out what the key's item number was, then added it to my main save.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Credits rolled, farewell game. Finished @ L30. Ciri became my witcher pal and pretty much no mention of Yennefer or Triss was made, which I thought was odd because I did a bunch of quests for Triss, but okay.

Farewell final clown suit.

Farewell Fallout 4 teaser.

Now that the xp bug is fixed I will feel better about doing more sidequests on the next playthrough. I basically started ignoring them after doing a few in Novigrad, ignored Skellige completely. But I feel this might be an Oblivion type situation where the sidequests are more interesting than the main quest. Patch also made some text easier on the eyes so that's good.
Good game, aside from making me feel like I'm RBA Starblade.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Harrow posted:

Don't get me wrong: I'm really thankful the XP situation is all sorted out.

But man, it really highlights how screwed this game's XP (and difficulty) curve is. I'm consistently about five levels higher than any new main quests I'm given, and the more side quests I do (even if I only do the "bigger" ones), the larger that gap gets. I went ahead and turned the game up to Death March, which is helping a little bit in that I die a lot faster if I screw up, but jeez.

Then again, I'm pretty sure I had a similar experience with The Witcher 2, wherein it was really difficult at first and then got trivial by the end.

Even on DM, you'll be overleveled all the time. It hurts so much when main quests become grey :qq:

In W2, you were never overleveled, it just became a breeze because of your skill progression, like every other RPG in history.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I'm trying not to savescum too much, but every so often I'll come across a quest where I just need to see the alternate outcome. I had Geralt paint it the first time, and I anticipated reloading and having the Troll paint it would produce some hilarious results. I was not disappointed.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

GrossMurpel posted:

Just look at the health bar, it will flash red when you can parry.

This is incredibly important. Game enjoyment increased.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

Even on DM, you'll be overleveled all the time. It hurts so much when main quests become grey :qq:

In W2, you were never overleveled, it just became a breeze because of your skill progression, like every other RPG in history.

Yeah, that's true. In TW3, it feels like both are happening at the same time: I'm overleveling everything, and my skill progression is making me into a minor deity. Alchemy is nuts this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Woe is me.

It seems I did not bother to win against the Gwent tutorial scholar in White Orchard the first time around and moved on.
Now that he's gone, I can't get the Zoltan Chivay card from him anymore.

The last missing card for me to complete the quest "Collect 'em all".

I could have sworn I already had it, though.
I was checking off cards on gwentcards.com and he apparently was missing from my deck, along with a third Clear Weather and Torrential Rain card we're supposed to have gathered according to the list. At first I thought someone might have "stolen" them (there was a rumor that Sasha might have nabbed them), but there's no real indication of that having happened.

The catchall-merchant in White Orchard won't sell it, I do no longer win random cards from vendors... looks like you can gently caress up the game's longest running questline 10 minutes into the prologue. :golfclap:

Or can the scholar be found somewhere else later in the game?
Alive in a tavern or dead (and lootable) in a ditch?
Either way is fine with me, I just need that drat card.

By the way, there is another missable card from the Innkeeper Olivier in the Kingfisher.
Play him as soon as possible before he :airquote:retires:airquote:.