Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like how in the books Drogon comes out of nowhere and saves Dany in the midst of utter turmoil. Like if he didn't show up then Dany would be dead. On the show she saves him by getting the giant fire lizard, who is easily slaughtering just people in gold masks, to fly away. Sure he had a few sticks in him, but with Jorah and Daario easily killing like 15 dudes, the three of them could have cleared out that whole stadium. And next season we'll get all of them sans Dany sitting around talking about how she flew off with no explanation of how they managed to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
It was weird that the Harpies killed Hizdhar no Hizjarjar because in the books I had the feeling he was at least affiliated with them. Wasn't that why Barristan killed him in the books? I always got this vibe he was at least a harpy puppet trying to manipulate Dany to allow slavery again.

It was also funny that despite plenty of Unsullied being in the crowds that the Harpies were all able to sneak in masks and daggers too. That would have been the perfect plan if you ask me. Have a huge event and run security detail. No doubt you'd have plenty of harpies showing up to pull off an assassination at a public event. How else are you going to feed those dragons?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This was before 9/11 so that tight of security around sporting events wasn't necessary. I bet spectators were allowed to bring in their own food and drink too.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Hizdahr might not be dead. It took 34 stabs to kill Caesar.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

Hizdahr might not be dead. It took 34 stabs to kill Caesar.

How many did Jon endure though? These wild stabbings sure aren't effective.

Solice Kirsk posted:

This was before 9/11 so that tight of security around sporting events wasn't necessary. I bet spectators were allowed to bring in their own food and drink too.

Drogon will crash into the Wall and Viserys will crash into the Titan of Bravos.

It is known. Then we'll see how Westeros enjoys it's freedoms.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hunky Joe posted:

How many did Jon endure though? These wild stabbings sure aren't effective.

Drogon will crash into the Wall and Viserys will crash into the Titan of Bravos.

It is known. Then we'll see how Westeros enjoys it's freedoms.

What about the Septagon?

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

What about the Septagon?

:golfclap:

Seven gods, seven sided building. It makes so much sense now...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aurain posted:

That's before he realises that he needs to actually save the kingdom first though, TWOW gives us this.

It's pretty decisively out of character by this point in the story, should the show have kept faithful.

I am not sure how this passage supports what you are trying to say?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hunky Joe posted:

Never Forget.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ague Proof posted:

Never Forget.

Lol, the Freys get away with it because the idiot show cut out Stoneheart and Fat Manderly.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

Never Forget.

Robb lied, Starks died. :911:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Lol, the Freys get away with it because the idiot show cut out Stoneheart and Fat Manderly.

The North forgot.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Hunky Joe posted:

Wasn't that why Barristan killed him in the books?

I don't think he is dead in the book, just in jail

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I don't think he is dead in the book, just in jail

Okay I couldn't remember if Barristan killed him or arrested him. The show is really warping my memory of events already. I think I assumed they had killed (?) him in the show that way since Barristan wasn't around to dole out some Westerosi Justice.

Westerosi Justice should be a spin off too. I like the way that sounds.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
westerosi justice staring gregor clegane, pi

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I never really liked Stoneheart but the loss of Manderly is a sin.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Fat Manderly was the best part of the books post-Joffrey by a huge margin.

I'm so sad we won't be getting Titus Andronicus feast of Freys.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Hunky Joe posted:

Dragonfire can't melt Ironborn - Harren the Black

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

How does nobody know that an adaptation necessarily combines characters while still hitting the same story beats? If Frey is supposed to get his then it will happen a different way. With all the things that are loving awful about Gurm and the series to complain about I dunno why nerds focus on the most defensible decisions.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
having a big fat guy that everyone thinksi s a lame rear end in a top hat follow the proper forms of guest right and hospitality and then murder and eat a frey and also serve it to them and their allies is going to be better than anything they do to them in the show

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sarkozymandias posted:

How does nobody know that an adaptation necessarily combines characters while still hitting the same story beats? If Frey is supposed to get his then it will happen a different way. With all the things that are loving awful about Gurm and the series to complain about I dunno why nerds focus on the most defensible decisions.

I actually have a new-found respect for grrm and his ability to construct stories such as those in A Feast for Crows, and A Dance With Dragons, mediocre as they are. It is clear that HBO does not have any writers of that caliber.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am not sure how this passage supports what you are trying to say?

If I die, you will fight to the death for my daughter and gently caress it, Burn her are opposites.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Sarkozymandias posted:

Yes, they had Dany's champion fight Mereen's champion.

But Belwas did it better and there was a big slippery dook.

Lol that you don't understand that good storytelling isn't just checking things off a list. By your dumb logic they could change the story so that everyone in it dies of old age before Dany so she gets the throne and that's the same as having a narrative that gets her to that point. Dingus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, sand snakes doing the foot shuffle or dany trotting around the stadium on drogon for dumbest scene of the season.

One thing I did notice about the arena scene is just how loving awful the fight choreography is for the westerosi. All that spinning and twirling and jorah got his loving rear end kd because of it. How is it that Vikings is the only show that seems to come remotely close to showing how sword fighting actually worked? A show whbody builders wear biker gear instead of chainmail is more authentic than attack of the clones gladiator thrones.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Would have been better if dragon had just landed in the middle of the arena out of loving nowhere, crushing friend and foe, and setting them to barbecue rather than conspicuously announcing his arrival in a big dramatic build up because of course that's what's going to happen.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

Would have been better if dragon had just landed in the middle of the arena out of loving nowhere, crushing friend and foe, and setting them to barbecue rather than conspicuously announcing his arrival in a big dramatic build up because of course that's what's going to happen.

Imagine the type of person who sought a career animating dragons on the computer.

He's making grandiose gestures at the director with his hands. There is a mild amount of spittle in the air.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I can't get over how dumb the Shireen thing was.

Season 6 and 7 are going to be an experience.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
You say that they will eventually show the Freys getting theirs but I can imagine they will drop that plot line (except maybe fat Wanda) and I doubt they will kill them off one by one in wonderful ways like the books. There is a lot that needed to be edited/cut from the books and I am glad they did. But there's a lot that he did well that would have been good to keep and things like Jaime's rehabilitation are nice to read about. We don't know the ending so maybe this all fits better with the story than what GRRM is putting out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

You say that they will eventually show the Freys getting theirs but I can imagine they will drop that plot line (except maybe fat Wanda) and I doubt they will kill them off one by one in wonderful ways like the books. There is a lot that needed to be edited/cut from the books and I am glad they did. But there's a lot that he did well that would have been good to keep and things like Jaime's rehabilitation are nice to read about. We don't know the ending so maybe this all fits better with the story than what GRRM is putting out.

Walder Frey is coming back so at the very least it won't be dropped.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

computer parts posted:

Walder Frey is coming back so at the very least it won't be dropped.

Is there a cast list for next season?

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Is the show definitely locked in for 7 seasons or is there a possibility for 8 in total? I just can't see how they're going to wrap everything up in 2 seasons.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Is the show definitely locked in for 7 seasons or is there a possibility for 8 in total? I just can't see how they're going to wrap everything up in 2 seasons.

Nobody knows really, I just posted about this in the show spoiler thread so i'll just link to my post http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671702&pagenumber=360#post446301355

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Franco Potente posted:

The show Harpies don't make any sense. When they rise up in ambush, they start cutting the throats of the people in the front row, who I would imagine to be the nobles/wealthy elites of the city. Aren't the Harpies supposed to be fighting for these guys?

The show is terrible

It is like the equivalent of a suicide bomber! They are Terrorists! STAB STABBITY STAB!

ZShakespeare posted:

100% this

I seriously had forgotten about the freys in the show. They seem unimportant now.

Ape Gone Insane posted:

This is an issue I have with both the books and show. The plot seems like it is at the 1/2 way point, or just past. I don't see a decent book wrap up in under 8 ( more likely 10 ), and something similar for the show.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Nobody knows really, I just posted about this in the show spoiler thread so i'll just link to my post http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671702&pagenumber=360#post446301355

Why in the world would D&D push for LESS seasons? Seems coo coo crazy backwards.

-J

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

I seriously had forgotten about the freys in the show. They seem unimportant now.

amazing how this happened

quote:

Why in the world would D&D push for LESS seasons? Seems coo coo crazy backwards.

-J

they probably want to have careers in the future and don't want to leave a fail pile like lost or bsg behind them

not that those shows ruined any careers because they got loving ratings

ego?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

syscall girl posted:

amazing how this happened

they probably want to have careers in the future and don't want to leave a fail pile like lost or bsg behind them

not that those shows ruined any careers because they got loving ratings

ego?

GOT has to be the biggest thing in their careers., right? Maybe they do want more... they are just saying that it's up to HBO, they originally committed to 7 seasons and they can still do that.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

GOT has to be the biggest thing in their careers., right? Maybe they do want more... they are just saying that it's up to HBO, they originally committed to 7 seasons and they can still do that.

probably yeah

sometimes i wonder if everyone involved finds it tiresome and just wants to take their money and go make something that people will look back on kindly

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I think the big thing is they had signed up for seven seasons and went to work planning and writing a general outline. Point A to point B kinda stuff and right now we're into season 5 and I think it's the point of no return. I could see changing course for more content after season two or three, four would be iffy but definitely not now. You start setting up the end game stuff at this point (Hear that Georgie?) and making changes would require a good deal of reworking the general flow of things too drastically.

On one hand it'd be great to give every storyline its due notice and attention with more seasons. On the other hand we'd get god awful filler or more time spent in Dorne shuffling about.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

syscall girl posted:

sometimes i wonder if everyone involved finds it tiresome and just wants to take their money and go make something that people will look back on kindly

Yeah, they must feel weary and ashamed of all the awards and record-breaking ratings.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Arcsquad12 posted:

That arena scene looked worse than Attack of the Clones did thirteen loving years ago. But at least it brought with it a promise that we will still get dysentery Dany.

Not dysentary, leprosy (grayscale)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

kcroy posted:

Why in the world would D&D push for LESS seasons?

Fewer.