Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't remember that at all. Got a source?

book posted:

I believe in chapter 351, Negi writes in the class roster that Zazie might be from Venus. I don't think it was ever explicitly confirmed.

Yeah, it was one of those teaser comments that was written near Zazie in Negi's Class Roster when they were getting close to the epilogue, from the months that were skipped at the end of Negima. Set off a fury of speculation too, but the whole Demon world on Venus thing always made a whole lot of sense to me once I saw that comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It's a heck of a thing to take a break from following a Manga. When I left off with UQ Holder they'd just wrapped up Santa's arc, then I come back and read the most recent 10 chapters or so and his sword is talking, he's actually a clone and he's become Hula-man.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

New chapter out.

The Black of Venus and White of Mars being Magia Erebea and Magic Cancel respectively, confirmed.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Total trying to be DIO :allears:

Akamatsu does really great training arcs

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Anyway, Kirie's training makes a whole lot of sense and I think several of us predicted it.

Edit: Actually now that I checked none of us did, at least in this thread.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 10, 2015

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Anyway, Kirie's training makes a whole lot of sense and I think several of us predicted it.

I actually completely forgot about that aspect of her powers. It's a pretty neat method to gain all the knowledge you want.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Well aside from the sheer soul crushing-ness of having to repeat the same week of nothing but study over and over again. :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I kinda forgot about the whole academic aspect of magic, since the only real mage we've seen train is Negi.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I liked Kirie better when she was Chisame.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
After this chapter, I think Dana and Jack Rakan definitely need to hook up. Assuming they haven't already.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bremen posted:

After this chapter, I think Dana and Jack Rakan definitely need to hook up. Assuming they haven't already.
She's going to grab Fate by the end.

People poo poo on the last arc of Negima but adding Fate to the comedy stable is a big plus.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I kinda forgot about the whole academic aspect of magic, since the only real mage we've seen train is Negi.

Yue also did the whole academic magic thing when she was in Ariadne, along with her Pactio artifact helping her with that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rodyle posted:

She's going to grab Fate by the end.

People poo poo on the last arc of Negima but adding Fate to the comedy stable is a big plus.

The last arc was fine. It was the ending that was (understandably) terrible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Yue also did the whole academic magic thing when she was in Ariadne, along with her Pactio artifact helping her with that.

That was mostly a hot-blooded montage filled with friendship, though.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Since I'm bored, I'm bringing up the old theory that UQ Holder is in the universe that Asuna was sealed for a 130 years. They specifically mentioned that Magic Cancel is the only thing that can absolutely destroy the Life Maker, with which Touta has both Erebea and Magic Cancel. Since immortality is more or less achievable through Erebea when you're part of the royal Ostian lineage, it would make sense that he would have an innate attribute with Magic Cancel. As that's also another royal Ostian specific thing. Compounded by the fact that Fate was seeking him so that he can save Negi and that the Life Maker is still alive. I also don't remember seeing Asuna at all in the party hunting down the Life Maker in that flashback that cyborg samurai had.

Also not going to bother spoiling anything since anyone who's following UQ Holder in this thread, has already the chapter by now.

If you're sure that immortality is just an Erebea thing, there's a comment in the final battle with Eva in the original series about it. It more or less specified that the only reason Negi was even able to recover from his petrified BSOD state was because of his lineage.

the page

VVV: Erebia is actually a word. Specifically the name of a butterfly.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 10, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
This is me getting my :spergin: on but I absolutely must point out it's Erebea with an E.

^^^ but it's not the word being used here. It's coming from 'Erebus' who is the Greek deity for darkness.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 11, 2015

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

If you're sure that immortality is just an Erebea thing, there's a comment in the final battle with Eva in the original series about it. It more or less specified that the only reason Negi was even able to recover from his petrified BSOD state was because of his lineage.

the page

And, of course, burning shounen spirit. :colbert:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

That is a total given.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
So basically Touta's going to have super-kanka or whatever? Rather than magic in one hand and chi in the other, it's erebea in one hand and cancel in the other?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just finished the second-to-last volume of Negima. (See my post history in this thread for my thoughts on Negima up to around Negi vs. Rakan.)

* Negi became stronger than the other protagonists by far but didn't render them irrelevant, which is good.
* The graveyard lady being Negi's mother was a pretty abrupt twist that wasn't really followed up on so far.
* The resolution to Setsuna vs. Tsukuyomi was disappointing, as Akamatsu basically admits in the end-of-volume notes. Setsuna just wins for no real reason beyond FRIENDSHIP.
* The ending of Negi vs. Fate was cool, though.
* I like Negi's plan to save the Magic World. It's sensible, but it's also easy to see why no one else tried it before.
* The recent running gag of characters NOT ending up naked is mildly amusing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The... graveyard lady? I'm not sure what you mean. As far as I know, Arika or however her name is spelled has only appeared in flashbacks and we never found out what happened to her.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

The gravekeeper is Negi's grandmother. Arika is definitely Negi's mother and fell off the face of both planets. Probably died, absorbed by the Life Maker, or is Nekane(shrug).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

The gravekeeper is Negi's grandmother. Arika is definitely Negi's mother and fell off the face of both planets. Probably died, absorbed by the Life Maker, or is Nekane(shrug).

That makes a bit more sense.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

New chapter out.

More Eva backstory, and a confession from Touta.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

That reminds me of when Eva had a fever in early Negima and Negi saw her chasing after Nagi.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

And now for the Oedipus Complex to go into overdrive.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Arc is probably wrapping up since "surpassing the teacher", not that Touta will actually succeed, is usually the last step.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

InfinityComplex posted:

And now for the Oedipus Complex to go into overdrive.

Yep, Touta's relationship with his mom is bonkers. He wasn't in love with the present version at all, but the younger version was a different story.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
If Touta somehow pulls young Eva into their time, things are going to get weird.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I think it'll be the other way around, it looks like he's about to get accidentally zapped back into the past.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Either way, romancing a younger version of one's mom is some weird Heinlein poo poo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well, can't say this direction wasn't getting leaned on, even as a joke.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not too worried about this going completely into skeeve town or anything.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Avulsion posted:

I think it'll be the other way around, it looks like he's about to get accidentally zapped back into the past.

You know, considering Touta is immortal he could do a crazy hyperbolic time chamber training scene by getting sent a thousand years into the past, and then showing up the next day and saying "Man, that was exhausting." Not that I expect it to happen, since Touta's thing is being the clueless newbie, but it would be funny.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Bremen posted:

You know, considering Touta is immortal he could do a crazy hyperbolic time chamber training scene by getting sent a thousand years into the past, and then showing up the next day and saying "Man, that was exhausting." Not that I expect it to happen, since Touta's thing is being the clueless newbie, but it would be funny.

That would actually fit in with the other training arcs, especially like Kirie's: "Gee you suck at being a wizard. Relive this week a zillion times until you don't suck."

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm not too worried about this going completely into skeeve town or anything.

You *did* pay attention to who the mangaka was, right? You did look at his previous works, right?

If not, I'd suggest a parachute and the emergency exit on your left. This really isn't going to be the story for you.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

buzmeg posted:

You *did* pay attention to who the mangaka was, right? You did look at his previous works, right?

If not, I'd suggest a parachute and the emergency exit on your left. This really isn't going to be the story for you.

Completely, Ken'll have his fun but it won't overpower the quality of the work.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Touta's situation is very messed up, but I really don't see adult Eva as ever being a love interest for him.

However, it might be that this is what Dana meant when she said Touta would teach Eva love. In other words, that he would be the one who taught her love in the distant past. Dana is probably pretty loose when it comes to causality.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 18, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Touta's situation is very messed up, but I really don't see adult Eva as ever being a love interest for him.

However, it might be that this is what Dana meant when she said Touta would teach Eva love. In other words, that he would be the one who taught her love in the distant past. Dana is probably pretty loose when it comes to causality.

I agree.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

So I guess this is what Dana meant when she wanted Touta to "teach Eva love."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

I guess with all of her past and such, she would have trouble trusting people again during that time. Love would be an analog for trust.

Just my two cents on what I see in this situation.

• Locked thread