Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Porzingas is tall white and has a funny name, Tskitishvili was tall white and has a funny name, definitely basically the same guy.

WhyteRyce posted:

It's probably my WCS mancrush speaking, but I don't get why Orlando would take him. Well, I mean I know why they would be interested and can field a super scary and active defense, but at some point they'd need more than 2 guys in the starting line-up that can do anything defensively right?

They don't really have anyone who can protect the rim right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Everyone trying to find the next Dellavedova.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Mudiay feels like the guy for the Knicks considering how Phil has been talking about penetration and poo-pooing three-point shooting recently. (Assuming they don't get lucky.)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

WhyteRyce posted:

It's probably my WCS mancrush speaking, but I don't get why Orlando would take him. Well, I mean I know why they would be interested and can field a super scary and active defense, but at some point they'd need more than 2 guys in the starting line-up that can do anything defensively right?

What the heck are you trying to say? Orlando is in the complicated position of having too many pretty good prospects, they pretty much have to go BPA. The question with WCS would be if he can develop any kind of jumper to open space for Vucevic.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

IcePhoenix posted:

Probably just more smokescreening but still fun. Apparently it's Towns and not even close" for the Wolves.

https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/608099788429651969

(scroll up to read the whole conversation)

From everything that I've read, it seems like Towns is the better fit for what the Wolves are trying to build. I'd still be happy if they went with Okafor, but Towns is the better defensive prospect, he's a more natural fit running the floor, is a much better free throw shooter, and has the potential for a more diverse offensive game than Okafor, though Okafor should have a dominant low post game. Towns also apparently gets along well with Wiggins.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

DeimosRising posted:

What the heck are you trying to say? Orlando is in the complicated position of having too many pretty good prospects, they pretty much have to go BPA. The question with WCS would be if he can develop any kind of jumper to open space for Vucevic.

It's actually not that ridiculous of an idea for them to go after WCS as he could guard 4s, but he's never going to develop a jumper; especially when Vuc already has a really nice outside shot.

But yeah Orlando has a weird roster issue and is going BPA; probably Hezonja/Winslow.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd be shocked if Winslow goes before Mudiay like that SI mock.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
SI's draft coverage is really bad.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

morestuff posted:

SI's new mock has WCS falling to 12 and the Hornets taking Kaminsky so I'm happy to ignore it

Trey Lyles for okc in this mock. If he could play the 3 I would be fine with it but I doubt he can

I know nothing about him other than his height and weight

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He's a stretch four who is skinny but would have gotten a lot more time, points and rebounds if he wasn't platooning with guys like Towns, Dakari Johnson and WCS.

Also here's your reminder that Kentucky managed to not win a championship with these guys and college basketball is the kind of sport where you should never make 40-0 T-shirts before the season.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

MourningView posted:

Porzingas is tall white and has a funny name, Tskitishvili was tall white and has a funny name, definitely basically the same guy.

same age, same size, same position, "able to play and defend 4 positions", high skillset, needs to add muscle and experience, huge upside, dirk/pau comparisons

to be honest I think it was a pretty darn good pull for just being off the top of my head but okay if you want to read some sort of anti-euro bias ignorance that's fine....

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/27/8474249/kristaps-porzingis-nba-draft-2015-scouting-report?_ga=1.222547547.1521348319.1432148618

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2013/9/5/4692668/nba-most-hyped-nikoloz-tskitishvilis-dramatic-disappointment

Basically they just replace KG with Chris Bosh in terms of a comparison with Pau

and we're even talking about Denver as the potential destination.

CISMALES DID 9-11 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 10, 2015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aniki posted:

Towns also apparently gets along well with Wiggins.

They were roommates at some camp when they were both in high school

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

same age, same size, same position, "able to play and defend 4 positions", high skillset, needs to add muscle and experience, huge upside, dirk/pau comparisons

Tskitishvili's track record before the draft wasn't as good. Porzingas has been playing in the second best league in the world for two years now, and producing. He has demonstrated his high skill level somewhere other than workouts.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

He strides elegantly, like a gazelle. Porzingis has a majestic lope that you cannot deny.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I can't get over these obstacles when trying to evaluate any but the top talent from my office chair (I'm acknowledging real scouts see more)

For PGs:
1)Looks equivalent or worse to someone in the D-league now
2)Looks good but is small so I know the odds are against him
3)Is playing against sub-European, sub-United States High Schooler talent in so everything they do is suspect.

For Wings:
1)Defense seems to rarely transfer to the pros
2)The ability to get to the basket doesn't always transfer to the pros either.
3)They take so many bad shots that I'm not sure if their jumper can be fixed with better shot selection, or if that shot selection bump won't be undone by the farther line
4)Looks good but is small so I know the odds are against them.

For PFs
1)Looking good against college bigs means nothing against pros.
2)College offenses rarely use big men the way the NBA does.
3)Shot selection from teammates so bad that I assume it inflates their rebounding numbers.
4)Defense against them is soft so hitting a midrange jumper in college doesn't mean they can hit it in the pros
5)Looks good but is small so I know the odds are against them

For Cs
1)Guys with very limited skills are often touted as top prospects for reasons I don't see.
2)Poor touch around the basket
3)Looks good but is small so I know the odds are against them.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

safest position is just to bet against every single prospect and accept that you'll only be wrong on about 25% of them

I just play the odds.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

rabidsquid posted:

He strides elegantly, like a gazelle. Porzingis has a majestic lope that you cannot deny.

Like a majestic anorexic antelope.

I love how hard he tries to dunk it, he's like the polar opposite of Asik who is giant and tries to finish like a ballerina.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rick posted:

I can't get over these obstacles when trying to evaluate any but the top talent from my office chair (I'm acknowledging real scouts see more)

For Wings:
3)They take so many bad shots that I'm not sure if their jumper can be fixed with better shot selection, or if that shot selection bump won't be undone by the farther line

I'm biased but: Kelly Oubre.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It's actually not that ridiculous of an idea for them to go after WCS as he could guard 4s, but he's never going to develop a jumper; especially when Vuc already has a really nice outside shot.

But yeah Orlando has a weird roster issue and is going BPA; probably Hezonja/Winslow.

I don't think WCS is a ridiculous idea, in fact he's perfect for them defensively and since he probably won't be able to play all that many minutes at first you just trot him out with Tobias Harris at the 4 most of the time at first and figure it out. I was just having trouble parsing the way that post is written, first he says he likes WCS, then he doesn't get why Orlando would want him, then he does get why they would want him because he's good on defense, then implies they wouldn't want him because they need people who are good on defense. It makes no sense.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rick posted:

For Wings:

This is probably why Devin Booker is shooting up the boards

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
I'm curious how WCS having sickle cell trait should/will affect his draft position and career:

http://ukbasketball.bloginky.com/2013/12/12/important-distinction-to-note-on-wcs-sickle-cell/

quote:

Most people with sickle cell trait have no symptoms and will not have any health complications, the website said. They can participate in athletics. Maintaining good hydration is important.
Coaches should consider someone with sickle cell trait like any athlete at risk for heat exhaustion...

Cauley-Stein noted the sickle cell trait in explaining why he played only 25 minutes against Boise State on Tuesday. He said he occasionally needs extra rest to deal with symptoms like chest pain and a rapid heart rate. Tuesday night happened to be one of those occasions.

He averaged 23-26 minutes per game over his 3 years at Kentucky. To take him in the lottery, you'd like to think he could develop into a 35+ minutes/game guy with energy in reserve to impact games late. He might not be physically able to be that guy.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
OTOH it confers resistance to malaria so if there is ever a series of basketball games played in remote tropical locations, he might have an edge

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ragle posted:

He averaged 23-26 minutes per game over his 3 years at Kentucky. To take him in the lottery, you'd like to think he could develop into a 35+ minutes/game guy with energy in reserve to impact games late. He might not be physically able to be that guy.

I think your hope would be that he can become Tyson Chandler, who hasn't averaged more than 33 minutes a night in the last 5 years and averaged 28 on Dallas's championship team. If you think that's what he's going to be, I think that's worth a lottery pick for sure.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

I don't think WCS is a ridiculous idea, in fact he's perfect for them defensively and since he probably won't be able to play all that many minutes at first you just trot him out with Tobias Harris at the 4 most of the time at first and figure it out. I was just having trouble parsing the way that post is written, first he says he likes WCS, then he doesn't get why Orlando would want him, then he does get why they would want him because he's good on defense, then implies they wouldn't want him because they need people who are good on defense. It makes no sense.

:rolleyes:

Orlando drafted a bunch of defense first guys already, do they want to continue to do so or do they want to spend some draft capital on offense. That was my question. I understand putting WCS together with Payton, Oladipo, and Gordon creates a potential scary good collection of defensive personnel but is that a priority for Orlando? That is something I was wondering. I realize there was a typo at the end of the post but calm down

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 10, 2015

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ragle posted:

I'm curious how WCS having sickle cell trait should/will affect his draft position and career:

http://ukbasketball.bloginky.com/2013/12/12/important-distinction-to-note-on-wcs-sickle-cell/

In boot camp, the guys with sickle cell got extra water during PT. Made me so loving jealous

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

chunkles posted:

OTOH it confers resistance to malaria so if there is ever a series of basketball games played in remote tropical locations, he might have an edge

Orlando?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

All the mocks are telling me I should start getting excited for Emmanuel, so gently caress it I'm on board let's do this poo poo

Anyone have a spare second rounder they would give us for McCallum???

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

DeimosRising posted:

Ahhhhh. Gotcha.

What's the deal with Harris? Is he resigning or is NYC a serious threat?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

For PGs:
1)Looks equivalent or worse to someone in the D-league now
2)Looks good but is small so I know the odds are against him
3)Is playing against sub-European, sub-United States High Schooler talent in so everything they do is suspect.

For Wings:

For PFs
1)Looking good against college bigs means nothing against pros.
2)College offenses rarely use big men the way the NBA does.
3)Shot selection from teammates so bad that I assume it inflates their rebounding numbers.
4)Defense against them is soft so hitting a midrange jumper in college doesn't mean they can hit it in the pros
5)Looks good but is small so I know the odds are against them

For Cs
1)Guys with very limited skills are often touted as top prospects for reasons I don't see.
2)Poor touch around the basket
3)Looks good but is small so I know the odds are against them.

You watched a lot of Arozona, what do you think about Hollis-Jefferson? Do you think he'd be a good fit for the Mavericks?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

You watched a lot of Arozona, what do you think about Hollis-Jefferson? Do you think he'd be a good fit for the Mavericks?

I lean towards no.

Dallas seems to expect all their wings to shoot threes and even though the form of his shot has improved, he's not going to come into the NBA with that sort of range even if he additively improves from where he's at now. He's a defense-only player probably to start and those guys don't get a ton of time in Dallas.

Dallas scores enough that they might be able to get away with sticking him in a Tony Allen type role if his defense catches up to NBA speeds. But this would be a departure from Dalla's style that I'm not sure they make at this point. They also could use him as a small ball PF (something they do once in a while) to bully them (he's very strong and comparatively athletic to many of the small ball PF) and the Mavs have shown a propensity to get their PFs shots right under the basket or on the break, which are situations he can score in.

But yeah realistically given their window they probably would not have time to experiment with him and let him come along so not the best fit.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Ahhhhh. Gotcha.

What's the deal with Harris? Is he resigning or is NYC a serious threat?

He is restricted so the Magic should match any offer no matter what.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

they should really rename the restricted free agent to something without the word free agent in it

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

I lean towards no.

Dallas seems to expect all their wings to shoot threes and even though the form of his shot has improved, he's not going to come into the NBA with that sort of range even if he additively improves from where he's at now. He's a defense-only player probably to start and those guys don't get a ton of time in Dallas.

Dallas scores enough that they might be able to get away with sticking him in a Tony Allen type role if his defense catches up to NBA speeds. But this would be a departure from Dalla's style that I'm not sure they make at this point. They also could use him as a small ball PF (something they do once in a while) to bully them (he's very strong and comparatively athletic to many of the small ball PF) and the Mavs have shown a propensity to get their PFs shots right under the basket or on the break, which are situations he can score in.

But yeah realistically given their window they probably would not have time to experiment with him and let him come along so not the best fit.

It sounds like you are describing Aminu, who the Mavs already have on the roster.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think of all the projected top 7 players, the only one I'd be genuinely disappointed for the Sixers to draft is Porzingis. I just don't see any good reason for their team to take him as far as what he could add even in his best case scenario. That and he has bust potential written all over him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

iamsosmrt posted:

I think of all the projected top 7 players, the only one I'd be genuinely disappointed for the Sixers to draft is Porzingis. I just don't see any good reason for their team to take him as far as what he could add even in his best case scenario. That and he has bust potential written all over him.

Its Shawn Bradley all over again.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WhyteRyce posted:

!!!!

@ryenarussillo

Few trade notes. The scouts put WC Stein in special tier as a defensive player. Heard Cousins wants him @6 so he doesn't have to play C.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

Well Pistons just traded for Ilyasova so I guess that means bye Monroe and also hello either Stanley Johnson or (ugh) Mario Hezonja

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

As long as they don't take either of the Wisconsin dudes I won't be too upset.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

EvanTH posted:

!!!!

@ryenarussillo

Few trade notes. The scouts put WC Stein in special tier as a defensive player. Heard Cousins wants him @6 so he doesn't have to play C.

You know the NBA has gone soft when the best center in the game who also happens to be 6'11" and 270+lbs wants to play PF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

You know the NBA has gone soft when the best center in the game who also happens to be 6'11" and 270+lbs wants to play PF.

So, the 80s?

• Locked thread