Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
The docks definitely look a lot more exciting than the first three levels. It might have been better if this had been the third level and Flats and Mill had been combined together into one level for better pacing. On the other hand, the challenge with the cranes and the swinging look a lot more difficult and extreme than any of the other previous challenges, so maybe the earlier levels are necessary to acclimate the player to the controls first before upping the ante?

Also, it's pretty neat that the level design provides multiple ways to get up if you ever accidentally fall off the beaten path, so it's not necessary to restart one of those race challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's impressive that in a 3-minute TAS of Tony Hawk's 2 for the GBA the game doesn't look half as broken as some of the stuff you've played here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC_Oh_REllI

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I only have 3 levels left to record and they are likely to be much easier due to being able to cherry pick the challenges I do to reduce frustration. It's been fun recording so far and I'm just happy to be an active part of this thread.

For all users in the EU/UK I recommend giving FreeRunning a go, as the controls are really responsive, and the only truly broken bit is the video gallery. The controls work fine, the levels (especially later on) are well put together (With the occasional nitpick which will be explored in the videos) and the 'boss' races are difficult but fun when you know what you are doing. When you know the courses the game can become fairly fluid, bearing in mind that I am generally really bad at Extreme Sports games.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

It's impressive that in a 3-minute TAS of Tony Hawk's 2 for the GBA the game doesn't look half as broken as some of the stuff you've played here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC_Oh_REllI

Honestly, that game looked really, really well-made. I didn't know how the Tony Hawk portable games looked. That looked really fun. Thanks for showing that.

And yeah, sorry for the slow start of Free Running. I mean, doing all the challenges isn't busy work if you need to do them to progress, but the viewers don't need to unlock more themselves. Still, there's cool stuff in all the levels, so you should still see what you want to see. And any, I mean ANY crash test events that we come across are going in those vids. Guaranteed (right?).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Maybe all but one, as the recording was too corrupted to use, but it was the Freighter so the most uninteresting one. I can rerecord for a bonus vid if you want.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Next up on Transworld Snowboarding, we get another short video with a big air and a halfpipe in it. That means you you get to see me flailing about trying to get the perfect combo back to back with me busting the biggest tricks and easily blowing the point goals away! Balance, everyone!

Transworld Snowboarding Part 6: Train Gap and Tokyo Indoor

Text Link

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
And in Free Running, we go on to level 5, the Freighter. Here, we run back and forth on a boat, vaulting and climbing all over that poo poo. We're going to keep up the pace of this game now. We're sticking to a new level per video.

Free Running Part 7: Freighter

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The freighter map looks evil. So many paths, so many lead to a drop to the bottom.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

The freighter map looks evil. So many paths, so many lead to a drop to the bottom.

Hey man, you have to hit bottom before you hit top.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Huh, I would have thought you'd lose more health from falling at that height and hitting your head, but nope, video game logic. Would also explain why the freighter is missing so many railings and catwalks.

Also that mannequin butt. I don't think video game logic can even cover that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Look at this extreme sport!
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CURLING12/curling-2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Oh god, not again!

Anyways, today on Transworld Snowboarding, we're going into the last fourth of the game. Again, the cycle goes on and we hit up another race and another slopestyle. This race track is bright, neon, futuristic, and Japanese. That may or may not sound familiar to other snowboard game fans from the era. Then, we go to bust some big tricks on one of the biggest jumps in the whole game. Remember that massive drop all the way back in that Shaun Palmer level? Well, this one might just give it a run for its money.

Transworld Snowboarding Part 7: The Tube and Canadian Rockies

Text Link

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just to let you all know I was having recording issues so was worried the FreeRunning vids would die here but it's working again and I was able to record the Next level without glitches. Got greedy though and crashed pinnacle trying to record the level after but I'll try again later.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, today on Free Running we are going through level 6, the Warehouse. In it, BioEnchanted and I have a little discussion about the order of the levels, especially those in the latest set (Docks, Freighter, Warehouse). At the moment, the set starts with the big, open area before getting to a medium-sized one and finishing with the smallest of the set. Also, the Warehouse is the easiest of the three by far, while the Frieghter seems to be the hardest. Should they have rearranged the levels in a different order, or was this fine? Personally, I needed to see the Docks and its much more interesting level layout and jumps after three levels of generic city. But what do you guys think? Here's the video for the sixth level, Warehouse.

Free Running Part 8: Warehouse

Text Link

About the level itself: Man, it's so weird that you have this whole upper area which is literally separated into a "left wall" and "right wall" line. The game, again, forgot that the point of Free Running is having a good amount of freedom in getting from point A to point B.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The barbed wire fence for no reason was a nice addition.
Is this map smaller than the tutorial area?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yes, the warehouse is easily the smallest level in the whole game, in both dimensions.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, I pretty much agree that they should have gone with the Warehouse earlier, unless the designers' intention was to give the player a breather level of sorts to add some contrast and variety to the game's pacing. But ideally, they should gone for escalation instead. Also, where are the explosives in Crash Test? You'd think the warehouse would be the very first place you'd find explosions in. :colbert:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Well, that's one vote for "out of order". I maintain that it was at least interesting to see the Docks when we did, even if it made the flow a bit wonkier. Here's just a radical thought that I can't fully flesh out at the moment - what if the whole game's level order was switched around? What if we didn't have 'level packs' and instead the order was based on scale or such. Warehouse could be, like, level 2 (since level 1 was obviously easy introduction purposes) and Docks would be later in the game. The last few levels, from what we recorded, all seem to be large and tough so there would still be a difficulty curve or sorts. I don't know, just thinking here. It would add a bit of (forced) level variety to go back and forth between locations.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, it's time to finish strong on Transworld Snowboarding! In this last part (of career mode), we finally get another backcountry track to smash more ice walls in, and then we power through one more race to beat the world tour. And what is our prize for doing so? A bonus level, of course! And what is in that bonus level? Watch the video, silly!

Also, if you have become a fan of Daniel Franck, please continue. However, if you are somehow still a fan of Jonny Moseley, look away. He gets yet another verbal thrashin' for his slow speed and stupid game.

Transworld Snowboarding: Helidrop and Alpe D'Huez (Plus Bonus Level)

Text Link

After this, there will be a bonus video. In it, you'll see a sample of the random crap that you can find outside the level boundaries.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The bonus level looked neat. They've put more effort into it that they did in half of the normal stages, though I wish they did more things with fire, like setting the board ablaze and igniting a rocket or something.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

The bonus level looked neat. They've put more effort into it that they did in half of the normal stages, though I wish they did more things with fire, like setting the board ablaze and igniting a rocket or something.

I wish setting your board on fire actually made a noticeable difference! Sure, it would end up happening because a fire would always be at the top of a big jump, but I didn't feel like the bonus mattered at all.

Now, it's back to Free Running. In the last part of the game, we've ramped up the difficulty and the level size. I guess if you thought things were tough before, they...took it to the next level? Like, I don't know. But things definitely seem tougher now, and I think they'll stay that way.

Free Running Part 9: Plaza

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Did one of you stabilize the footage?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Youtube may have done it automatically, it certainly wasn't doing that while we were recording the commentary.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Okay, so normally I use youtube to auto-crop the video back to 4:3. This is the first time it's decided to auto-stabilize along with cropping the video.

Uhh, sorry about that. It should be fixed now.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Are you always racing the same shirtless hippy?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Croccers posted:

Are you always racing the same shirtless hippy?

In the normal races? Uhh, you might. I don't know. As we've seen, the special races have real people 'as themselves', but you might just keep defeating the same middle-aged shirtless dude over and over again.

Now, we're on the the very last episode of Transworld Snowboarding. The developers were fairly loose in their efforts to keep you inside the level, and you can escape most levels by simply riding over a ridge or hopping over a fence. Outside, in the fairly vast terrain, we can see some weird poo poo going on. Join us in a bonus video as we check it all out.

Transworld Snowboarding Bonus: Out-of-map Exploration

Text Link

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
That drop at the 9:40 min mark? You dropped from the second tallest building in the world.

The one at the end?

Croccers fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 4, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The one-sided crowds, hill snowboard adrenaline, ghost vehicles, air surfing, and the game going "..." at your trick chain... This was worth waiting for :magical:

What's next?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

The one-sided crowds, hill snowboard adrenaline, ghost vehicles, air surfing, and the game going "..." at your trick chain... This was worth waiting for :magical:

What's next?

Probably a couple one-off vids while Free Running finishes up. There might be another game block coming up, but I'm on the fence about it, mainly because don't want to pick more just-boring games to do in a row. I need to get more of a feel for them.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Meanwhile some crazy people have started on the story mode of Skate 3 with team rear end Pandas
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724298

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Updated the Google Doc of finished games to include Transworld Snowboarding.

SelenicMartian posted:

Meanwhile some crazy people have started on the story mode of Skate 3 with team rear end Pandas
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724298

Surprisingly, I never really got into the Skate series. I guess I'll be watching it as well.

Now, we're back to Free Running, where the levels get bigger, the challenges get harder, and the lines get...uhh...really confusing. It's like they hit a sweet spot of 'flow' in the middle of the game and now all the flow is getting stripped away for all these difficult, precise routes. Is this what you guys expected 'end-game' difficulty to look like?

Free Running Part 10: Building Site

Text Link

Also, in the video, we talk about the game's soundtrack a bit. If you're interested in hearing it, here is a link to a youtube playlist of the songs.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 6, 2015

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Now, we're back to Free Running, where the levels get bigger, the challenges get harder, and the lines get...uhh...really confusing. It's like they hit a sweet spot of 'flow' in the middle of the game and now all the flow is getting stripped away for all these difficult, precise routes. Is this what you guys expected 'end-game' difficulty to look like?

Actually, it was kind of close to what I expected, except for the horrible camera angles. Like you guys said in the video, if the camera had pulled back a bit farther, those oddly precise lines would have been more reasonable, since you'd be able to see possible routes and your intended goals ahead of time. It doesn't really do the game in any favors to have the camera fixate on the player's body 90% of the time when one needs to see where they're going in the first place. I do enjoy how creative these lines are, at least.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Daigerus posted:

It doesn't really do the game in any favors to have the camera fixate on the player's body 90% of the time
But how else can anyone see the dummy's butt?

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Have you ever played 3Xtreme? It's a combination skateboarding/rollerblading/BMX racing game for the PS1. I totally forgot about it until I was browsing around my local game store today and saw it on the shelf for $3.99. I remember it being pretty awful to control but maybe I was just bad.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Transworld just pushed all its levers to ridiculous and left them there. With the kind of air you were getting, it's actually tame to have aliens down on the ground and not up in space for you to jump up to and high-five.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

Actually, it was kind of close to what I expected, except for the horrible camera angles. Like you guys said in the video, if the camera had pulled back a bit farther, those oddly precise lines would have been more reasonable, since you'd be able to see possible routes and your intended goals ahead of time. It doesn't really do the game in any favors to have the camera fixate on the player's body 90% of the time when one needs to see where they're going in the first place. I do enjoy how creative these lines are, at least.

I never really explained what I was trying to say in the Free Running video. A good level would have both 'obvious' lines and also allow the player to make their own lines, but neither would be exactly 'forced'. You should be able to find your own way from A to B. It seems weird when the game now drops these complex lines as THE way to go about doing things.

arcsig posted:

Have you ever played 3Xtreme? It's a combination skateboarding/rollerblading/BMX racing game for the PS1. I totally forgot about it until I was browsing around my local game store today and saw it on the shelf for $3.99. I remember it being pretty awful to control but maybe I was just bad.

I haven't played it, but it's in my collection and is coming up, probably along with 2Xtreme. We'll see how Xtreme we can get.

Now, up next is something a little bit different. I really can't commit on any specific game for the next week or two, so I'm trying something out. It's been a while since we played Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer, so it's been a while since we went SURFING!

That's why we're about to start a :siren:SURFING BLOCK:siren:

But since I haven't played any of the games before, and since surfing games might be likely to do the same things over and over, we're going to get our feet wet (eh? EHHEHEHEH?) for each of the three. We'll do a single video for each game at first, checking to see if it's a decent game or if it's garbage. Hopefully, one of the games will be good enough or decent enough to do a full playthrough of.

First up, we just finished with Transworld Snowboarding, so why not try Transworld Surf?

Transworld Surf

What is this game?
Transworld Surf is a surfing game licensed from the Transworld brand. The other game in the brand's series delivered loose gameplay that didn't care too much about forcing you to abide by 'rules' or 'level geometry'. What will Transworld Surf bring to the table? Will we pick it to do the full game? Find out below.

Transworld Surf: First Impressions

Text Link

Insetik fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 11, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Can you break the levels in this one and go surfing on the beach?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

Can you break the levels in this one and go surfing on the beach?

Further Testing is needed.

EDIT: Jesus Christ that was so easy.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 12, 2015

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Ovues posted:

Further Testing is needed.

EDIT: Jesus Christ that was so easy.
Good to see the prestigious Transworld brand maintains a consistent level of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Okay, so last night I tested some stuff out and recorded some footage. It turns out all you need to do to break Transworld Surf is try the most obvious thing. This vid had a quick turnaraound, so the quality is a little worse and it has subtitles explaining things rather than normal commentary.

Transworld Surf Bonus: Extra Glitches

Text Link

• Locked thread