Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Xenomrph posted:

If it's determined to be illegal bribe money, wouldn't the US seize it as civil forfeiture?

I hope so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
why is the new fifa prez election going to be so far away? they literally just had one.. just do it again. the voters are probably still in town spending their bribe money, just book the marriott and count hands again

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

you irl posted:

why is the new fifa prez election going to be so far away?

As a guess, Blatter wanted to make a rhetorical gesture and was hoping this will all blow over before his time to actually 'resign' approached.
And good luck for him with that.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Do It Once Right posted:

As a guess, Blatter wanted to make a rhetorical gesture and was hoping this will all blow over before his time to actually 'resign' approached.
And good luck for him with that.

I believe the spoken word performance intended as a parody of justification waffled around the idea that things had to be on the up and up for real this time and it is such a serious matter they can't chance a misstep.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

you irl posted:

why is the new fifa prez election going to be so far away? they literally just had one.. just do it again. the voters are probably still in town spending their bribe money, just book the marriott and count hands again
Nobody wants the legal liability of chairing FIFA while the DOJ still has an arm elbow deep rooting around their fiscal rear end in a top hat.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

zedprime posted:

Nobody wants the legal liability of chairing FIFA while the DOJ still has an arm elbow deep rooting around their fiscal rear end in a top hat.

Bullshit, I'll take the chair. Just spend the next 5 years being honest and sucking up USA rear end, then when everyone forgets about this whole deal, just steal about 0.01% of what Blatter stole. That's still enough to make my great-great-great-great-grandchildren millionaires.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Why do you suppose they let the investigation go on for so long?

Right now, they're fat as can be with Russian and Mid-East oil money. The DoJ is going to scoop it all up and deny Russia and Qatar hosting status as a gently caress you on top.
Oh to be the hero of the world, with our teeth on their throats..

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ork of Fiction posted:

Why do you suppose they let the investigation go on for so long?

Right now, they're fat as can be with Russian and Mid-East oil money. The DoJ is going to scoop it all up and deny Russia and Qatar hosting status as a gently caress you on top.
Oh to be the hero of the world, with our teeth on their throats..

This is the closest we've ever gotten to winning the world cup AND the world's hearts and minds

:monocle:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

putin is reactionary, and will fully invade ukraine if they take the world cup from him. He already believes the whole affair was just an american attempt at getting the games pulled from Russia, with the smoke screen of punishing fifa corruption.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Any chance of seeing unmarked military vehicles and paratroopers suddenly appearing on the streets of Zurich?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Section 31 posted:

Any chance of seeing unmarked military vehicles and paratroopers suddenly appearing on the streets of Zurich?

is ukrainian invader stay indoor for safety

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2rBzaWSfKY

Fifa = blue

goalkeeper = US

ref = Rusqatar

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7CBxfRUaw

:trinidad:

Somebody make the smiley.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

similar to the Colbert Super PAC, Oliver is now through the satire looking glass.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

goddamn jack warner has gotta be my favorite political leader personality right now he is the loving best

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

I'm the soundtrack that is louder that the speech.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

goddamn jack warner has gotta be my favorite political leader personality right now he is the loving best

best way to respond to a DOJ indictment is saying you had medical emergency and then dancing wildly at political rally the next day.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

etalian posted:

best way to respond to a DOJ indictment is saying you had medical emergency and then dancing wildly at political rally the next day.

He's going to get his rear end in a top hat ripped open and be wrecked by American Justice. He's living on marked time. He probably doesn';t even know it yet.

I hate so much about my country's justice system and actions abroad, but sometimes I just have to love my nation and feel pride for very basic functional things.

Every FIFA exec is way more screwed than that billionaire guy who admitted to his many murders.
And all of the FIFA execs don't even know it yet.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm the soundtrack that is louder that the speech.

its a pretty sweet speech

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
timers running, hope you can spill faster than the other guys who are getting indicted

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kinetica posted:

timers running, hope you can spill faster than the other guys who are getting indicted

can someone buy an emote that says "start snitching"

im just the ideas man

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jack Warner is Trinidad and Tobogan Herman Cain

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/world/europe/fifa-spokesman-steps-down-after-joking-about-blatter-being-arrested.html

quote:

Suggesting once again that the FIFA saga might be beyond parody, the chief spokesman for world soccer’s governing body stepped down on Thursday, amid speculation that he was forced out for joking on Swiss television about the possible arrest of President Sepp Blatter.

quote:

Asked if he had a favorite joke about his organization, Mr. De Gregorio said: “FIFA President Sepp Blatter, his director of communications and the general secretary are sitting in a car – who is driving?”

Stumped, the talk show host Roger Schawinski asked, “And the answer is?”

“The police,” Mr. De Gregorio replied.

lololololol

they should have kept him on

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

lololololol

they should have kept him on

Seriously, turning a formerly-racist joke around like that is great.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

:vince: this story gets better every day.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lmao. Why didn't the guy just stay on and say "nah, I'm good. You?" I don't get the source of blatts power now.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
hahaha that guy rocks

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
one thing I love is that the soccer forum thread about all this is locked because various foreigners got angry every time an American said something about anything

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

one thing I love is that the soccer forum thread about all this is locked because various foreigners got angry every time an American said something about anything

they will probably swan dive and hope the mods give american posters a red card for hurting them

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

We are the most powerful people in the world.
reading back:
They got touchy about American stadiums because it ruins the narrative that big stadiums are too rare and wasteful. While in AMERICA we have dozens of giant rear end stadiums and they're usually sold out. By their logic then America should host the WC forever but thats frightening so the the thread is closed.

there I've solved the soccer forum

bloodsacrifice fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 13, 2015

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

you're weirdly proud of your college stadium water tables.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Neiland Stadium in Tennessee, Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, and that ridiculous Michigan stadium are premium places to host the world cup.

College football knows how to build a shrine to sports and decadence.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

oh god its starting again.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

opus111 posted:

We saved soccer. Tennessee can have the 2018 World Cup, Baton Rouge gets 2022. That's our asking price.

Also, you're welcome, planet earth. :patriot:

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

opus111 posted:

Don't worry we'll let Britain host sometime in the next few decades, its only fair.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

They really do hate us for our freedoms. :allears:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

bloodsacrifice posted:

Don't worry we'll let Britain host sometime in the next few decades, its only fair.

ah yes more London riots except this time with Irish Travelers from around the world

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

We saved soccer. Tennessee can have the 2018 World Cup, Baton Rouge gets 2022. That's our asking price.

Also, you're welcome, planet earth. :patriot:

This bad idea since it would ruin the world's positive opinion of the USA by holding games in the deep south.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

etalian posted:

This bad idea since it would ruin the world's positive opinion of the USA by holding games in the deep south.

but it would help ruin soccer some more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

etalian posted:

Atlanta Olympics weren't bad PR for us.

And Baton Rouge is actually pretty loving chill and not quite "middle America". It's got that vaguely European artsy old-south charm to it.

I guess Michigan is out, though, because you don't want to invite the world over to see America's Somalia.

• Locked thread