Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

LazyDivey posted:

I just binged watched this whole series in like 2-3 days and I'm hooked. Definitely love the concept and the characters. Lito is hilarious, Sun and Van Damm are badass. I didn't care too much for Riley though. Hopefully next season they flesh out the Whispers a bit more and go into detail more about Clusters and how they are born or whatever

I loved the last episode where each sense8 pitched in to rescue pixie goth daenerys

Also that transcontinental mind orgy was hot

It would have been hilarious if one of the Sense8s were a bigoted southern baptist who kept accidentally popping in on the gay couples.

Accidentally. Right. Like so many others of those fundamentalist "Down with fags" types accidentally ended up in the wrong bathrooms accidentally signaling for a hookup and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Question: Did anyone actually like Naveen Andrews' part in this? I mean if you want to talk about eye-rolling cliche writing, "invisible guardian angel who speaks softly and mysteriously" is pretty high on the Annoying List.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

precision posted:

Question: Did anyone actually like Naveen Andrews' part in this? I mean if you want to talk about eye-rolling cliche writing, "invisible guardian angel who speaks softly and mysteriously" is pretty high on the Annoying List.

I thought his character was ridiculous. The fact that he got caught was his own fault on top of everything else. It's one thing to tease a cop with cryptic BS, who doesn't want to do that? However once Will demonstrates he was willing to put his own life at risk to nab him... maybe that would be a good time to come clean and start using more concrete language and concepts. There were a lot of points in that car chase where he could have started spilling information rather than continuing to provoke a cop in hot pursuit. Instead he gets caught which allows lazy writers to keep vague lines in his mouth because the bad guy is right there listening to him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kegslayer posted:

And then she gets in over her head and needs to be saved by Dr Mathias when Whispers comes.

Not really. Dr Mathias is saving himself, where her and Amanita just run the gently caress away because they have nothing to fight a gun wielding psycho with. Which was the more sensible decision. Mathias had no interest in saving them, he just bought them a few seconds to run a bit further. Even then, the gun wielding psycho doesn't actually target them, why would he after all when Whispers very obviously wants Nomi alive? Dr. Mathias didn't save them from poo poo.

Kegslayer posted:

When she returns home desolute?

Her girlfriend comes back to cheer her up and her old friend drops by just at the right time with everything she needs.

I can't really say as I see the complaint regarding this one either, because the things that help her in this case are all stuff she herself has actively helped establish: her girlfriend of several years and an old friend that she had helped in the past and asked to come help them prior to that. Sure, she didn't ask him to come in that specific instance, but he wouldn't be in the story at all if she hadn't rang him for help earlier and if she hadn't taken a conviction for him in the past.

Kegslayer posted:

My argument is that Nomi is a badly written one dimensional character in the majority of the series. Her role is to play the damsel in distress, have bad things happen to her and then be saved by someone else. I'm sorry but its just lovely writing and my original point was that even her mother, who's only in like two scenes, is better written than her.

We're only talking about Nomi because some other poster jumped on my pile of :words: but she isn't the only badly written character.

Kala, is another example but Capheus and Sun are not.

See, I can definitely see where someone could find her to be badly written, but I don't think she's really any worse than anyone else in the cast in that regard because most of the writing is very simplistic in it's broad strokes (character development, arcs and so on), and the dialogue tends to concentrate more on establishing themes and poo poo than really making it flow for it's own sake. What I at least took issue with was the idea that Nomi was being childish in the hospital, especially when contrasted with her mother whom you seemed to find perfectly reasonable despite the fact both were being equally reasonable or unreasonable because of their history.

Capheus I would also point out constantly needs to be saved, mostly by Sun and that he's portrayed as perfectly nice and good himself with a mother who is a dying AIDs victim and little saint by all accounts from the show. Sure, he does some stuff himself and has some agency in that he gets in to the plot with the druglord because of his own poo poo, but then, the same is true of Nomi. She fights for herself on occasion too, mostly by hacking, but it counts, and she is in that situation partially due to herself and takes some degree of control of the situation once released from the hospital. The same can basically be said for Sun. I just don't see where one is completely poo poo, but the other is fine since both are basically the same.

precision posted:

I found him alright until he started giving a speech about how humans are fundamentally broken from nature and perhaps sensates are what humans were meant to be because they can move in a pack like fish or birds do. I loving hated that hippie poo poo, and was delighted to see that when it ended with him going "after all, only a human could kill like that" we cut immediately to Wolfgang going on a murder spree for selfish reasons. It has to be have been entirely deliberate and I can only speculate that they wanted to turn the audience against him for some reason at that point, but I've no idea why. Either way, like Whispers, I think I'd have enjoyed the show more without him.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I'm still not through the whole series yet but are people addressing the dialogue that goes beyond just telepathy? I don't think the show is about being connected or even much about telepathy. What I think they're going for, and what I really love, is defining and challenging the concept of self. The idea of having a collective mind, they're no longer individuals, they're a new type of being that experiences life through 8 bodies. It's really exciting and interesting to think about, how would you react if you were no longer just an individual, but a collective? The mind orgy scene (the karaoke scene too) wasn't about being titillating (though it was), but literally "coming together" and experiencing things as one being.

The fact that they feel eachothers emotions, don't seem to fear each other, appear to each other when they need help. They're not acting like intruders or like they're being intruded on, it's like interacting with another part of yourself.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

tsob posted:

I found him alright until he started giving a speech about how humans are fundamentally broken from nature and perhaps sensates are what humans were meant to be because they can move in a pack like fish or birds do. I loving hated that hippie poo poo, and was delighted to see that when it ended with him going "after all, only a human could kill like that" we cut immediately to Wolfgang going on a murder spree for selfish reasons. It has to be have been entirely deliberate and I can only speculate that they wanted to turn the audience against him for some reason at that point, but I've no idea why. Either way, like Whispers, I think I'd have enjoyed the show more without him.

To be fair that's not really what he said. He said normal humans are better at it. And get the impression it's supposed to be inherited although they never go into specifics. So I suppose over time a slight advantage could result in there being very few sensates compared to humans. And sensate-human interaction is still about the same as human-human interaction so it makes sense that Wolfgang has no problems with killing, but it's probably unlikely that he would kill someone in his cluster.

ElCondemn posted:

I'm still not through the whole series yet but are people addressing the dialogue that goes beyond just telepathy? I don't think the show is about being connected or even much about telepathy. What I think they're going for, and what I really love, is defining and challenging the concept of self. The idea of having a collective mind, they're no longer individuals, they're a new type of being that experiences life through 8 bodies. It's really exciting and interesting to think about, how would you react if you were no longer just an individual, but a collective? The mind orgy scene (the karaoke scene too) wasn't about being titillating (though it was), but literally "coming together" and experiencing things as one being.

The fact that they feel eachothers emotions, don't seem to fear each other, appear to each other when they need help. They're not acting like intruders or like they're being intruded on, it's like interacting with another part of yourself.
It reminded me of synchronicity (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity), with the sensates having additional paranormal powers beyond humans.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 12, 2015

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

LazyDivey posted:

It would have been hilarious if one of the Sense8s were a bigoted southern baptist who kept accidentally popping in on the gay couples.

No joke, I would love if we find out that there's a cluster that's made up like that.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Postal Parcel posted:

No joke, I would love if we find out that there's a cluster that's made up like that.

Referred to collectively as the Hivemind.

As far as Whispers goes since he can forge a link after eye contact, why doesn't it work both ways. Shouldn't people who make eye contact be able to drop in on him as well? Or is that some special Mind-Fu that can only be utilized after a training montage?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
No it does work both ways, Jonas does exactly that I believe in one of the last two episodes. I think this will probably occur with Will in the next few ones as well.

Also, the acting in this is really good. That scene where Nomi and Lito are in the art museum was loving brutal.

Anything involving Lito is a amazing.

Also, Caphias in the van during the group sex scene and he's watching the Van Damm movie. I kind of get the feeling that maybe Caphias is secretly gay. I'm not sure though.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 12, 2015

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

No it does work both ways, Jonas does exactly that I believe in one of the last two episodes. I think this will probably occur with Will in the next few ones as well.

In that case I want to see Will endlessly recite horrid fanfic at Whispers until one or both of them lose their sanity.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tsob posted:

I found him alright until he started giving a speech about how humans are fundamentally broken from nature and perhaps sensates are what humans were meant to be because they can move in a pack like fish or birds do. I loving hated that hippie poo poo

Ugh, yeah. A lot of people would consider me a hippie in a lot of ways but even I was like "NO, STOP IT, SHUT UP, gently caress THIS".

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I took it less as a hippie thing and more of a "Oh he's the Magneto of this story" thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish I had that much faith in the Wachowski's writing ability, but I just watched Jupiter Ascending a couple days ago.

e: which is actually a really fun movie, but the script is just awful

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

precision posted:

I wish I had that much faith in the Wachowski's writing ability, but I just watched Jupiter Ascending a couple days ago.

J. Michael Straczynski exists, and is credited as a writer on every episode.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's also the whole thing of the other Sensate Riley encounters who claims Jonas and someone else worked for Whispers creating clusters purposefully and hunting them down which to me doesn't make sense?

Stracynzki's a decent television writer and does actually deliver the goods when it comes to long arcs. So I have no doubt if this goes the distance that It'll end satisfactorily.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I keep forgetting he's part of the show, and hope he manages to make the character arcs and plot as compelling here as he did in Babylon 5, which also had a weak first season - though mostly because he didn't have nearly as heavy a hand as in the rest of the show. Still, if one of the cast comes out of this nearly as cool as Londo or G'kar, or there's a relationship that mirrors theirs in it's intensity and impact then even the Whispers poo poo will have been worth it I suppose.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If Jonas turns out to be just as bad as Whispers (or worse) I will gladly eat my hat, because that's the only way to make the character interesting to me.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tsob posted:

I keep forgetting he's part of the show, and hope he manages to make the character arcs and plot as compelling here as he did in Babylon 5, which also had a weak first season - though mostly because he didn't have nearly as heavy a hand as in the rest of the show. Still, if one of the cast comes out of this nearly as cool as Londo or G'kar, or there's a relationship that mirrors theirs in it's intensity and impact then even the Whispers poo poo will have been worth it I suppose.

Forget that, Lennier FTW.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Lennier is weird to me, because he just kind of drops out of the show after loving up his relationship with the main cast, which leaves his character in limbo with no real end. Favorite secondary character has to be Vir, who despite being really timid and self-conscious manages to come off as really awesome at times, especially when you find out what he's doing during the war, behind even Londo's back. The best moment of the show is when Londo gives him his wish regarding Mordin.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This conversation is Tumblr approved.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tsob posted:

Lennier is weird to me, because he just kind of drops out of the show after loving up his relationship with the main cast, which leaves his character in limbo with no real end. Favorite secondary character has to be Vir, who despite being really timid and self-conscious manages to come off as really awesome at times, especially when you find out what he's doing during the war, behind even Londo's back. The best moment of the show is when Londo gives him his wish regarding Mordin.

Yeah. But I still love him because of his sacrificing half a lung and almost his life saving B5, and refusing any acknowledgement because he just did his duty doing the right thing because that is what you do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What the gently caress is a Babylonian 5, is that some spinoff of Danger 5?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I would really like to see a goon cluster. I think that would be awesome.

"But I don't know how to shop for gundam action figures! ...but I know somebody who DOES!" *Action shop montage*

"I'm about to get my rear end kicked by this german filmmaker who happens to be a semi-pro boxer.. what do I do?" "...I got this." *cool transition with rotating camera then punch to the face*

"I CAN'T DRIVE THIS STREET-SWEEPER, ITS ON FIRE!" "Do not worry, this is nothing!" *vroooooom*

precision posted:

What the gently caress is a Babylonian 5, is that some spinoff of Danger 5?
:allears:

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Just binge-watched it all. It's interesting how much of a huge jump in quality there is after the first 3 eps; I was feeling my interest wane pretty heavily until they managed to make that stupid song actually work sort of effectively. Things just got crazier from there. The only main character I didn't really give a poo poo about was Kala, because even though arranged marriages are bad and all, her fiance is inhumanly nice. All of her indecision never feels very legitimate, especially when compared to the extensive tragedies underlying all the other main characters. She never helps out much until the last episode, either. In general she felt super undeveloped.

Bae Doona is insanely good as Sun, and after seeing her Wikipedia page I have to wonder if she actually trained and did all that martial arts stuff herself. Nomi's cool. Her mom's an rear end in a top hat. That scene she had with Lito at the Diego Rivera Museum had me crying like a baby.

I also wonder if Lito will remain the go-to comedy character if/when another season starts. I'm pretty sure he's the only Sensate who hasn't seen a dead or severely hosed-up person in real life yet. It's great that he's a walking soap-opera and all, it's hilarious, but I'm unsure if he can remain like that for another season.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 13, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Out of all of the characters in the series Lito for me had the most interesting character arc when he goes to confront Dani's abusive boyfriend after taking 4 shots of Tequila then the intro plays out like a soap opera as he drives up. All of that was fantastic. I think I like him and Wolfgang the most , but it's also hard to not like Caphias as well.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Hollismason posted:

Not enough love in this thread for the group sex.
That scene is probably why I've got "Demons" stuck in my head all week.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rollofthedice posted:

Just binge-watched it all. It's interesting how much of a huge jump in quality there is after the first 3 eps; I was feeling my interest wane pretty heavily until they managed to make that stupid song actually work sort of effectively. Things just got crazier from there. The only main character I didn't really give a poo poo about was Kala, because even though arranged marriages are bad and all, her fiance is inhumanly nice. All of her indecision never feels very legitimate, especially when compared to the extensive tragedies underlying all the other main characters. She never helps out much until the last episode, either. In general she felt super undeveloped.

Bae Doona is insanely good as Sun, and after seeing her Wikipedia page I have to wonder if she actually trained and did all that martial arts stuff herself. Nomi's cool. Her mom's an rear end in a top hat. That scene she had with Lito at the Diego Rivera Museum had me crying like a baby.

I also wonder if Lito will remain the go-to comedy character if/when another season starts. I'm pretty sure he's the only Sensate who hasn't seen a dead or severely hosed-up person in real life yet. It's great that he's a walking soap-opera and all, it's hilarious, but I'm unsure if he can remain like that for another season.
Kala's marriage wasn't arranged. It was a love marriage so I found it a little odd that she either didn't love him when she agreed to marry Rajan or she fell out of love but they didn't say anything about how/why. Or somewhere along the way it got hijacked into an arranged marriage or something. The details of it seem to be really odd.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
She says it in the first episode when she goes to pray at the temple to Ganesha: Rajan proposed to her at work, but she had no interest and then when she told her family that the rich son of a pharmaceutical company had proposed to her they were so happy that she accepted it to make her family happy. She's essentially put herself in an arranged marriage, while everyone else thinks she's doing it for love. Or, at least, everyone says they do. I suspect the father is perfectly aware of the fact she has no interest in him and is doing it out of obligation, because he's given her a few outs now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

No I think the way it worked was Rajan asked her father and his father who both agreed and the family pressured her into it. However , she saw how happy that it made her family so she went along with saying "we're in love". The fact that Rajan is such a nice person is something I really like a lot. Like he genuinely loves her , but she is not in love with him. However , I don't think she's being completely honest.

There are moments in their story where it seems to me at least that she does feel something for him. I think that came off really well like she doesn't hate him she actually likes him quite a lot but isn't "in love" with him.

I think it'd be interesting if one of the sense8's actually does fall in love with Rajan , because he's such a good person and through that she grows to love him.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 13, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If the parents were the ones that were asked first and then told her, and that makes more sense now that you mention it, then I don't think they put pressure as such on her to accept it because all of them act like it was something she's doing purely out of love, what with the mother and grandmother talking about how she's the first in the family to marry for love and all. They are more likely to have been so happy and presumed she would be given his material wealth that she accepted due to that happiness than them going "you will accept and that's that" type of pressure. Though that could be what you mean, your wording is a wee bit ambiguous. I'm delighted Rajan is such a nice guy though too, since it makes the dilemma feel a lot more real.

And I too get the feeling she might actually fall for him as the series progresses. I think she expects to have this one big "cute meet" moment where she falls instantly in love and marries that guy, but suspect her story might be more about falling in love with someone over time due to their actions and personality than an falling in instant love like she has with Wolfgang, who is a very physically attractive but personally destructive character. She gets that feeling of instant connection with Wolfgang, but it seems more like temptation than love the way it's presented, especially in light of that Icelandic sensate talking about how love between cluster members was such a bad thing. Then again, Riley and Will are an almost definite lock for hooking up, so who knows.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

tsob posted:

She says it in the first episode when she goes to pray at the temple to Ganesha: Rajan proposed to her at work, but she had no interest and then when she told her family that the rich son of a pharmaceutical company had proposed to her they were so happy that she accepted it to make her family happy. She's essentially put herself in an arranged marriage, while everyone else thinks she's doing it for love. Or, at least, everyone says they do. I suspect the father is perfectly aware of the fact she has no interest in him and is doing it out of obligation, because he's given her a few outs now.

Ah right, forgot. Thanks.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sober posted:

Kala's marriage wasn't arranged. It was a love marriage so I found it a little odd that she either didn't love him when she agreed to marry Rajan or she fell out of love but they didn't say anything about how/why. Or somewhere along the way it got hijacked into an arranged marriage or something. The details of it seem to be really odd.

She didn't love Rajan, but she didn't want to disappoint her family or his family. It was more of a peer pressure thing than a arranged marriage.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I'm ready for a spin-off show where there's 8 sensates that are all Bae Doona's. Just beating the poo poo out of people constantly.

edit: or 8 litos having postmodernist orgies

Chelb fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 13, 2015

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Everyone around Kala is so nice to her that she doesn't want to disappoint them, even if she doesn't really want to get married. She'd feel guilty and ungrateful if she rejected the proposal, so she's just going along with it. No one is forcing her to go through with it but she feels like she has to.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Rollofthedice posted:

I'm ready for a spin-off show where there's 8 sensates that are all Bae Doona's. Just beating the poo poo out of people constantly.

The prison design gave off a bit of a Riki Oh vibe. For a brief moment there I thought Sun's life was going to be one challenger after the next. I'm fairly certain the character to smash a human skull between her hands.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've never studied India in any depth but "Indian woman is in arranged marriage, turns out he's amazing and she falls in love" is the basis for seemingly 99% of every Indian movie I have heard of.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Abstract: "Daredevil is basically the only show Netflix has produced so far that's been consistently good."

I watched two action clips:

One involved a guy who looks like Roland from Boys R Us, being possessed by a swarthy looking dude with a flat nose (white Italian maybe) and having a gunfight. It wasn't that good.

The other was the same two guys, but the roles were reversed. Fist whisking was invoked, and again it just wasn't very well done.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Rollofthedice posted:

Hollismason posted:

Out of all of the characters in the series Lito for me had the most interesting character arc when he goes to confront Dani's abusive boyfriend after taking 4 shots of Tequila then the intro plays out like a soap opera as he drives up. All of that was fantastic. I think I like him and Wolfgang the most , but it's also hard to not like Caphias as well.

Nth-ing the Lito love. Can't wait for the arc where Lito can't get time off work to meet a Sensate in person so he elopes with Daniela...

...to a Korean prison :allears:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fall posted:

Nth-ing the Lito love. Can't wait for the arc where Lito can't get time off work to meet a Sensate in person so he elopes with Daniela...

...to a Korean prison :allears:

Nor gonna lie, of all the characters and their crises, the one I really felt was the Lito/Hernando breakup. I mean I understood the reasoning and all. but. gently caress, they just seemed SUCH a happy couple in love. The actors really sold the chemistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Nor gonna lie, of all the characters and their crises, the one I really felt was the Lito/Hernando breakup. I mean I understood the reasoning and all. but. gently caress, they just seemed SUCH a happy couple in love. The actors really sold the chemistry.

It doesn't hurt that Hernando is such a great supporting character. What made him interesting was how he actually (is shown to) have a life and interests outside his relationship, unlike Amanita.

Seems like the actors felt the chemistry too:

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/06/-towleroad-interview-miguel-%C3%A1ngel-silvestre-smoldering-star-of-sense8.html posted:

TR: You have some pretty steamy, scantily-clad scenes. What do you find most challenging about filming a sex scene?

MS: It wasn’t a big challenge, to be honest. Me and the guy playing Hernando, we spoke from the beginning, and we knew that was going to be one of the things that we really needed to portray. An issue that is happening in Mexico, every two days, [a person is murdered in a homophobic crime], even though it was one of the first Latin American countries to get marriage for homosexuals … We had to treat this with the care and the love and as sincere as possible. So we have to be very relaxed with each other. I don’t like when you see the actors, they play a character, and they say “Hey, hey, I’m not really like this.” We became good friends, and we enjoyed all those moments. I really admire the guy playing Hernando. I believe admiration is love, and from the first minute, I admired this guy. Also, he smelled super good. That helped a lot ...

MS is Miguel Silvestre, the actor.

Actually my favourite part of the Lito arc is how he saves the girl at the end, not to "get the girl", but because she's his friend.

• Locked thread