Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Dinosaurs aren't cool enough anymore a sequel needs special genetically modified COOLER DINOSAURS

quote:

Director Colin Trevorrow has stated that the Indominus rex, the synthetic hybrid dinosaur at the center of the film's story, is symbolic of consumer and corporate excess. Trevorrow stated that the dinosaur was "meant to embody [humanity's] worst tendencies. We're surrounded by wonder and yet we want more, and we want it bigger, faster, louder, better. And in the world of the movie, the animal is designed based on a series of corporate focus groups."[25] He also stated that "There's something in the film about our greed and our desire for profit.
whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I really liked the zune HD i wish it took off

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug

az
Dec 2, 2005

what a piece of poo poo

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A: I thought it was said over and over it was set in the future, hence all the sci-fi holotech and glass bubbles and poo poo... then it turns out to be modern? The gently caress?

B: LOL at paying for so many Samsung phones to be in the movie only to have every single one of them get poo poo reception and lose calls, for no explained reason!

Elukka posted:

Dinosaurs aren't cool enough anymore a sequel needs special genetically modified COOLER DINOSAURS

whoa

Two more points:

A: It was originally supposed to be cyborg dinosaurs, seriously

B: Given the loose end with the mad scientist and PMCs whisking them way, I expect cyborg dinosaurs in two years.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Wicker Man posted:

I was hoping the fat guard would survive :(

Thin Privilege is being able to run to the exit of a frankensaur enclosure without running out of breath in 10 steps.

Thin Privilege is being able to fit under a jeep to avoid being eaten by frankensaur.

HAES.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Grody posted:

I knew something was wrong when I saw beats by dre 30 seconds into the movie

Hahaha

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
semen is the insintuating worsds of the balls

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I thought it was pretty good for what it was: a big dumb summer movie.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

jurassic hurled

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
So is the thing now basically that budgets are so huge that the only way these movies can be bankrolled is with product placement?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

criscodisco posted:

I thought it was pretty good for what it was: a big dumb summer movie.

do you remember when big summer movies weren't dumb? I remember.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I decided to not see this movie when I saw the part of the trailer where Andy jumps into a raptor pit and isn't immediately torn asunder because he puts up his hands and goes "Whoa, easy girl."

I saw fury road yesterday instead and it was baller as gently caress

haljordan fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 15, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

haljordan posted:

I decided to not see this movie when I saw the part of the trailer where Andy jumps into a raptor pit and isn't immediately torn asunder because he puts up his hands and goes "Whoa, easy girl."

I saw fury road yesterday instead and it was baller as gently caress

You have chosen.. wisely.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Real question: At what point does it cross over the line between authenticity of the times and product placement. Because there's a part of me that's like "Well you know in the future there would probably be a starbucks and a mcdonalds at jurassic world" So having it there is authentic in terms of the setting, but on the other hand I can see the complaints that it's forced product placement. So where does the line draw itself?

im gay

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

How often was dairy queen featured

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Amarcarts posted:

So is the thing now basically that budgets are so huge that the only way these movies can be bankrolled is with product placement?

Why is everyone singling out product placement like they're clever for doing so in a movie about corporate excess

It's like pointing out the Taco Bell product placement in Demolition Man

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you've got the air jordans of dinosaurs

j/k I liked the movie when t rex and velociraptor doubleteamed nazisaurus I got erectasaurus

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

vyst posted:

Real question: At what point does it cross over the line between authenticity of the times and product placement. Because there's a part of me that's like "Well you know in the future there would probably be a starbucks and a mcdonalds at jurassic world" So having it there is authentic in terms of the setting, but on the other hand I can see the complaints that it's forced product placement. So where does the line draw itself?

im gay

I think it's somewhere between this conversation:

>"Oh I see you got the new Ford Fusion Hybrid"
>>"Yes it has all kinds of great features, like parallel park assist and bluetooth and heated seats, plus all the latest safety features to make sure our little package in the back stays in one piece. Got a great deal on it too, our dealership gave us 2.9% financing and paid the PDI and freight so I could afford to buy this new Samsung Galaxy S6 Active."
>"Oh is that the one running Android 5.2 with the 16 megapixel camera and 5.1 inch AMOLED screen? I hear that one weighs less than five ounces."

and the people in the theatre locking themselves in and burning the fucker down.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

opus111 posted:

do you remember when big summer movies weren't dumb? I remember.

Yeah there was one called Jurassic Park

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
lol just turn ur brain off, why would u think when u go to a movie? why wud u want people to be interesting, it just gets in the way of the dinosaurs fighting. film shud have just been 2 hours of explosions and dinosaurs riding biks lol

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

vyst posted:

im gay

Product placement in most movies is pretty realistic, so I don't have a problem with it. You can't walk down a city street pretty much anywhere in North America without seeing dozens or hundreds of signs for various businesses, and obviously there would be Starbucks and McDonalds locations at a huge amusement park, and of course each pavilion at the place would be sponsored by some tech company. Who gives a poo poo? The only time I've ever noticed product placement was after the fact reading about a movie on the Internet, which seems to have a bug up its rear end about it.

Other than in the "I, Robot" movie with Will Smith - he fawned over "vintage Nike sneakers" for absolutely no reason, despite the movie being set decades in the future and having nothing to do with clothes or fashion. You shouldn't insert an entire useless scene that has nothing to do with the plot of the movie just to have product placement. That was over the line.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The air jordans line was the only one that stuck out to me as being extremely blatant, tbh

Would've been better if they plugged, like, a basketball player or something. "You've got the lebron james of dinosaurs". I can get behind that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Should have had the Dinosaurs wearing Converse All-Stars.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

vyst posted:

im gay

a mercedes drives slowly towards the camera to park and into a tight lingering shot of the badge

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i would havec alled it thunder lizard dome

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
So was there a reason why super saurus was bulletproof? I mean it was like Godzilla in that bullets just leave a little red bee sting that does nothing at all. It's especially jarring when you think of that guy's custom rifle of uselessness that he's always cradling around, like as if it could do anything.

I did like seeing one of the raptors get blown up with a rocket. That was kind of cool.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

RideTheSpiral posted:

a mercedes drives slowly towards the camera to park and into a tight lingering shot of the badge

The avengers did the same poo poo in the first movie but with Audi

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pepsisaurus. Tostidodon.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

raditts posted:

Pepsisaurus. Tostidodon.

Duplodocus for the kiddies.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

B: LOL at paying for so many Samsung phones to be in the movie only to have every single one of them get poo poo reception and lose calls, for no explained reason!

Samsung_global_marketing_plan.docx

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

Should have had the Dinosaurs wearing Converse All-Stars.

check out this prototype concept:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Characters really sucked but it pulled off what godzilla didn't and thats being a movie about fuckin monsters

i liked the throw away bit about how none of the dinos were "real" but wished it went into more "loving corporations mang"

And I swear that younger kid has been in every loving movie ever Is he actually an immortal 12 year old or is that just what all 12 year old jews look like

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mange Mite posted:

check out this prototype concept:

I'm Whoopi Goldberg being a hot property back in the 90's.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Considering the message of the movie was "we shouldn't have made this movie", it was pretty good.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

A: I thought it was said over and over it was set in the future, hence all the sci-fi holotech and glass bubbles and poo poo... then it turns out to be modern? The gently caress?

Two more points:

A: It was originally supposed to be cyborg dinosaurs, seriously

B: Given the loose end with the mad scientist and PMCs whisking them way, I expect cyborg dinosaurs in two years.

the movie

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Characters really sucked but it pulled off what godzilla didn't and thats being a movie about fuckin monsters

i liked the throw away bit about how none of the dinos were "real" but wished it went into more "loving corporations mang"

And I swear that younger kid has been in every loving movie ever Is he actually an immortal 12 year old or is that just what all 12 year old jews look like

all jews look the same until their first molting followed shortly by their bar mitzvah

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Still the gold standard for dinosaur movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XsQD7I3KYA

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
It is kind of funny how the movie shits on most of its sponsors. The only product I can think of that seemed unironically portrayed as "good" was the Coke Andy slurped from. Verizon's mocked for sponsoring dinos; Starbucks, Brookstone and all the overpriced shitslingers are hocking JP merch in the promenade because of course they would, but Coke is shown unattached to all that. The fact that it was an old-fashioned glass Coke bottle probably wasn't an accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phobic Nest posted:

It is kind of funny how the movie shits on most of its sponsors. The only product I can think of that seemed unironically portrayed as "good" was the Coke Andy slurped from. Verizon's mocked for sponsoring dinos; Starbucks, Brookstone and all the overpriced shitslingers are hocking JP merch in the promenade because of course they would, but Coke is shown unattached to all that. The fact that it was an old-fashioned glass Coke bottle probably wasn't an accident.

that's because everyone who works for coke is a living saint and coke deffo isnt an rear end in a top hat company that absolutely shits on local business any time there's a huge event like the world cup

• Locked thread