Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

El Mido posted:

Cover in ME1 is meant for stabilizing the aim of your sniper rifle and not much more which is a good thing because staying mobile, spamming powers, and shooting your guns made the game more fun. The cover system in ME2 is bad because it encouraged a lovely, sedentary style of play where you park Shepard's pathetically slow and fragile butt behind cover and play peekaboo with waves of mercs filing out of the enemy closet. ME3's cover system is not as bad as ME2's because the game allows Shepard to function while standing but it also carries over bad elements from ME2 such as enemies like turrets that force you to twiddle your thumbs behind cover for extended periods of time.

Let me tell you about sedentary fighting style as a Vanguard in ME2 and ME3...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The relationship and romance stuff in Binary Domain kinda affects the final battle, so that's cool.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Torrannor posted:

Let me tell you about sedentary fighting style as a Vanguard in ME2 and ME3...

Vanguard is an aberration. Somewhere at Bioware, a programmer screwed up code and the bug led to the player character being flung at an enemy. He showed his bug to a colleague. This trickled up to food chain, until someone at a high enough level said, "Let's make that a class feature, might be fun." The game's not built for Vanguards, and in several places they built the game to punish Vanguards, but their power is just so awesome it transcends.

Bioware didn't build ME2 to be fast-paced, and their "run and gun" tweaks for ME3 fell short of the goal. Vanguards fundamentally play the game different because they were not designed for ME2/ME3, they were a happy mistake. If you throw them out, ME2/ME3 hugely reward a slow, cover-to-cover tactical approach (single player, not multiplayer).

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Byers2142 posted:

Vanguard is an aberration. Somewhere at Bioware, a programmer screwed up code and the bug led to the player character being flung at an enemy. He showed his bug to a colleague. This trickled up to food chain, until someone at a high enough level said, "Let's make that a class feature, might be fun." The game's not built for Vanguards, and in several places they built the game to punish Vanguards, but their power is just so awesome it transcends.

Bioware didn't build ME2 to be fast-paced, and their "run and gun" tweaks for ME3 fell short of the goal. Vanguards fundamentally play the game different because they were not designed for ME2/ME3, they were a happy mistake. If you throw them out, ME2/ME3 hugely reward a slow, cover-to-cover tactical approach (single player, not multiplayer).

Except Sentinel in 2 is also built for mobility. It works best if you tank into crowds, shooting and throwing elbows, and using your Tech Armor explosion to knockdown, damage, and disable enemies.

They changed the Tech Armor in 3, and I have no idea if you can play the same way since I have zero desire to ever play it again, at least anything after Tuchanka.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The Valkyrie sentinel in multiplayer is basically that. Just swap tech armor explosion with biotics and more shotgun.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Biotics were best in ME1, but the cover system was poo poo.

There was cover in ME1?

Kibayasu posted:

As much as I love Binary Domain it isn't the gold standard for anything except really enjoyable character stereotypes.

It has some pretty epic boss fights. My favorite would be the bit with the spider, which could keep on balancing itself no matter how many legs you shot off - and how your boss says "oh yeah they pulled that from coastal defense just for you :smug: good luck"

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

monster on a stick posted:

There was cover in ME1?

Yeah, and it worked better than having to push the same button for "vault/dive/roll/sprint/and take cover".

<----- Mad about all the times he's died in MP from trying to sprint but instead taking cover on the enemy side of a doorway or crate.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
No it didn't it worked like absolute poo poo

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
I never had problems with it.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

You can just circle-strafe forever and it pwns

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Mass Effect: Andromeda trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8V9dRqSsw

Holiday 2016

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 15, 2015

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Cannot loving wait.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
alright that's pretty cool

just don't intentionally make it a trilogy I guess

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
If this is a new galaxy why is there Prothean architecture? :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Where are the robots

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If I can intentionally play as Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, doing sick donuts in my dune buggy on a desert planet, the game is already a win.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

My greatest hope for the new Mass Effects is that I can play the campaign as an infiltrator with a flamethrower power like in ME3 multiplayer.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I'm not really keen on having to wait until the end of 2016 for more Mass Effect !!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Sombrerotron posted:

I'm not really keen on having to wait until the end of 2016 for more Mass Effect !!

I would much rather have a finished game in 2016 then another god drat [most recent entry in your favorite franchise on the Xbone or ps4]

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
We're going full on Firefly here and I can't seem to complain. Just no more making it up as you go, okay Bioware? Nobody wants to see the Starchild repeated.

Now that we have a name, can we put this thread out of it's misery and forget ME3 for good?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Plom Bar posted:

I would much rather have a finished game in 2016 then another god drat [most recent entry in your favorite franchise on the Xbone or ps4]
I want a good finished game and I want it within four months tops, is that too much to ask for !!(??)

(I guess so because there is no God (only the Citadel AI (RIP)).)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Geostomp posted:

Now that we have a name, can we put this thread out of it's misery and forget ME3 for good?

Mass Effect Andromeda: Now with 100% less Kevin Sorbo

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

Geostomp posted:

We're going full on Firefly here and I can't seem to complain. Just no more making it up as you go, okay Bioware? Nobody wants to see the Starchild repeated.

I want to emptyquote this.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch as I Charge."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

How did they travel to another galaxy???

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

frajaq posted:

How did they travel to another galaxy???
Mass Effect field, you dolt! :mordin:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Which humanoid/alien was the one you enjoyed having sex with the most ?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I.N.R.I posted:

All of them except the stupid blue ones.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

im really excited to be a space cowboy/cowgirl and go explorin' tbh

ME3's combat/MP was really really fun so if it's anything like that i'll probably enjoy it!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Dumb point to raise maybe, but that world didn't feel alien at all.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rinkles posted:

Dumb point to raise maybe, but that world didn't feel alien at all.

It did fit the space western theme the trailer appeared to be going for. Not-Shepard did scroll through several slides of actually alien looking planets, so we we have more than space Arizona to play in.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

space-Arizona is OK if i get to shoot some warboys

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Alain Post posted:

All of them except the stupid blue ones.

do you really look forward to the human ones

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

do you really look forward to the human ones

Humans are massively FTL but still not as bad as the Asari.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

I.N.R.I posted:

Jack is Shepard's one true love.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

I.N.R.I posted:

disappointed I could not sleep with my evil clone

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

I.N.R.I posted:

Impaling Kai Leng felt very satisfying.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm not sure jetpacks is what I needed in my mass effect. Bet they're gonna go for some sort of open world thing like they did in DA3 which is just a horrible slog that the game would've been better off without.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
No game won't be improved by the inclusion of a jet pack. I think.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It worked for Call of Duty, but I'm not feeling it for Mass Effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Rinkles posted:

No game won't be improved by the inclusion of a jet pack. I think.

If it lets you Nova from any altitude with a damage multiplier based on height then, gently caress yeah, gimme that jetpack. Every opening move to a combat encounter that is near a mountain, hill, cliff, building, stairs, or a chair is going to start with a nuclear pile driver.

• Locked thread