Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Norton has been taking the piss out of the mentally ill for the past decade with his "what about meeeee and my problems" bit. I thought it was loving hilarious when Ruth shut him down and he turned into the same sulking baby he's been making fun of for all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35lmr8LcIDs

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

:rock:

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I haven't listened to O&A since a year before Ant left and only really keep up with them via this thread, but I heard Jim Norton on Nerdist this weekend. He was awful. He spent the entire time talking about freedom of speech, Ant's firing, and then chess. His standup has always sucked compared to his on-air riffing with Ant and other comedians (Opie excluded). If Jimmy would have left O&A around the time of Lucky Louie he might have had some new experiences to add to his act but instead he stays in his sex addiction bubble and refuses to listen to any other comedy because he's afraid it might "influence his act." If only. He's loving stagnant and hasn't done anything interesting in 10 years.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JFC posted:

I haven't listened to O&A since a year before Ant left and only really keep up with them via this thread, but I heard Jim Norton on Nerdist this weekend. He was awful. He spent the entire time talking about freedom of speech, Ant's firing, and then chess. His standup has always sucked compared to his on-air riffing with Ant and other comedians (Opie excluded). If Jimmy would have left O&A around the time of Lucky Louie he might have had some new experiences to add to his act but instead he stays in his sex addiction bubble and refuses to listen to any other comedy because he's afraid it might "influence his act." If only. He's loving stagnant and hasn't done anything interesting in 10 years.

Pfft look at this strap hanging hater *hangs up on you*

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is Jimmy still terrified of Europe? He always seemed to have the weirdest, most warped view and refused to ever play over there.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

JFC posted:

Weird, I caught his set in Nashville this year and I loved it. It wasn't at all like the set I heard many years ago back in Cleveland. Sorry you got a lovely one.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Sankis posted:

Is Jimmy still terrified of Europe? He always seemed to have the weirdest, most warped view and refused to ever play over there.

Other comedians have come in and raved about shows they've done in Europe and he always is like "yeah I gotta do that sometime..." and it always sounds very half hearted. Jimmy does seem like a xenophobe unless it involves going to South America to gently caress some potentially underage prostitutes.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

But you see Jimmy is growing as a ~*~*Person*~*~ and spends most of his free time working out with his trainer, not eating too many carbs, and shopping for soaps and lotions on the weekend.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

JFC posted:

Jimmy's latest special is really good

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
His last special is good if you compare it to his last 2 specials.

Monster Rain and Yellow Discipline are probably his best stand-up work.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

JFC posted:

Bill Burr is the blueprint of what Jimmy should have done after he got some heat from O&A.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Jimmy is no Bill Burr.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

JFC posted:

Jimmy is some kind of business genius, there's no reason such an unlikable walking blob of loose flesh should have had so many HBO specials and all the success he has- he's gotta be a millionaire comedian at this point. He's a smart guy and a hard worker, but his comedy will never actually reach any poignant heights because, like any of the 3 from O&A, he won't change his ways and will increasingly be more of a niche comedian instead of truly breaking out, only to become more curmudgeonly by the year.

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 16, 2015

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Sintax posted:

he won't change his ways and will increasingly be more of a niche comedian instead of truly breaking out, only to become more curmudgeonly by the year.

Since all his comedy is topical none of it ages well either. Looking back on his career in 20 years it will be like looking back on Oliver North jokes, Robin Leech impressions, and "Where's the beef" punch lines today.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

JFC posted:

Since all his comedy is topical none of it ages well either. Looking back on his career in 20 years it will be like looking back on Oliver North jokes, Robin Leech impressions, and "Where's the beef" punch lines today.

That will be almost every comedian's work in 20 years.

Seriously, what comics from 20-30+ years ago are still held as "timeless" and in well regard? Carlin, Pryor, Hicks, and Joan Rivers definitely. MAYBE Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy but that's only because they moved on to movies.

Calcaneus
Sep 12, 2010
I listened to part of the Jimmy-only show from yesterday and really enjoyed it. It was actually upbeat and had energy, which isn't something I could say for most of the Opie and Jim shows I've heard.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I wasn't a huge fan of Jim's old work but his latest special is pretty drat funny. I still think he's best working off the cuff.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Apparently Ant did a half hour infomercial during his show today for some sort of penis cream.

I'm really glad I unsubbed

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Hahaha, paying for a service that sticks commercials into its show time that you're paying for? Jesus Christ, Ant.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Apoplexy posted:

Hahaha, paying for a service that sticks commercials into its show time that you're paying for? Jesus Christ, Ant.
But I pay for commercials on SiriusXM :confused:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I guess that is also silly, just to a slightly lesser extent than this example.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, wow, you guys were right, that Jimmy-only episode from yesterday, the 15th, ruled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZXkikxiTc0 Link to one of the segments there, with others on the channel.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
The Stanley Jinx strikes again. Jeez he's money every single time!

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Sintax posted:

Jimmy is some kind of business genius, there's no reason such an unlikable walking blob of loose flesh should have had so many HBO specials and all the success he has- he's gotta be a millionaire comedian at this point. He's a smart guy and a hard worker, but his comedy will never actually reach any poignant heights because, like any of the 3 from O&A, he won't change his ways and will increasingly be more of a niche comedian instead of truly breaking out, only to become more curmudgeonly by the year.

He's not a niche comedian and he's not moving towards being more niche. He's also likeable. Being liked publicly is his profession.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Opie's laugh has sounded different lately. Like he's taken up smoking.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
He's thinking about smoking weed again.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
They have good chocolate in Colorado!

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

livingfruitvirus posted:

Opie's laugh has sounded different lately. Like he's taken up smoking.

people are still listening to this???

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
So Ron and Opie were on some dude Pete Dominick's show and wow it didn't go well! Ron pretty much nailed this dude to the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVoj-CMh42s

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tr33 posted:

So Ron and Opie were on some dude Pete Dominick's show and wow it didn't go well! Ron pretty much nailed this dude to the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVoj-CMh42s

Pete use to pop up all the time on Ron & Fez.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm about a half hour in and it has been pretty good so far.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Guys, remember what happened when you did that to Jay Mohr!

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Didn't know he did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJs21gf1nzs

Interviewer probably could have buried him with baggage, but interesting nonetheless.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I went to finally pare down my XM subscription and Opie Radio 103 wasn't listed as an available channel on any of the packages.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Snacksmaniac posted:

I went to finally pare down my XM subscription and Opie Radio 103 wasn't listed as an available channel on any of the packages.

Pretty sure they still overall call it Sirius XM Talk.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I guess I'll find out when I get in my car. Probably going to cancel my sub as soon as I get a goddamn aux cable though.

Meth Rollins
Jun 24, 2005
The Opester got a little butthurt today. Notice the rest of the studio going dead quiet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi8QVUB13Xc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Meth Rollins posted:

The Opester got a little butthurt today. Notice the rest of the studio going dead quiet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi8QVUB13Xc

Vos with a great line, :laffo:

• Locked thread