Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This will have reached peak hilarity only when the viewership for that episode does worse than at least the previous week's Impact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Great White Hope posted:

Sorry, I meant to type "The point" but I'm stupid and bad at using words.

A sane company (i.e. not this one) would put the match they've been building forever on their 'big' return to PPV to try and make money.

they'd also do more than the odd tweet from the owner's account to advertise for it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mecca's already imploding over it :laffo:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

This will have reached peak hilarity only when the viewership for that episode does worse than at least the previous week's Impact

They could also replicate the end of Starrcade 97, just put Brody in place of Bret or something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Laughing at the idea that that is a "money match."

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
And say what you will about WWE destroying their PPV business but A) they did it voluntarily, B) their alternative is probably(?) close to break even (help me out here MRT) but most importantly C) WWE still makes money on TV rights, merch, and touring, literally none of which TNA does except merch I guess technically.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to go through and count how many times the world title has changed hands on Impact vs. on PPV. (Obviously starting after Impact started, otherwise the weekly PPVs would skew the numbers.) They've never been smart enough to save a big match for a paid show.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Someone needs to go through and count how many times the world title has changed hands on Impact vs. on PPV. (Obviously starting after Impact started, otherwise the weekly PPVs would skew the numbers.) They've never been smart enough to save a big match for a paid show.

I believe since the beginning of 2013, it's 2 on PPV vs. 8 on TV

PPV:

Bully d. Jeff
AJ d. Bully (Bound For Glory 2013)

TV:
Sabin d. Bully
Bully d. Sabin
Magnus d. Vacant
Young d. Magnus
Lashley d. Young
Roode d. Lashley
Lashley d. Roode
Angle d. Lashley

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

When it was the NWA title:

AJ (Hard Justice)
Raven (Slammiversary)
Jarrett (International Incident)
Rhino (BFG)
Jarrett (Impact)
Christian (Against All Odds)
Jarrett (Slammiversary)
Sting (BFG)
Abyss (Genesis)
Christian (Final Resolution, and then after it was vacated so the TNA belt could be a thing and so NWA could do its own thing with their belt)

8 PPV changes, 1 international house show thingy change, 1 Impact change

Since it was the TNA title:

Angle (Sacrifice, but vacated it on Impact)
Angle (Slammiversary)
Sting (BFG)
Angle (Impact)
Joe (Lockdown)
Sting (BFG)
Foley (Lockdown)
Angle (Slammiversary)
AJ (No Surrender)
RVD (Impact, vacated it on later Impact)
Hardy (BFG)
Anderson (Genesis)
Hardy (Against All Odds)
Sting (Impact)
Anderson (Slammiversary)
Sting (Impact)
Angle (Hardcore Justice)
Storm (Impact)
Roode (Impact)
Aries (Destination X)
Hardy (BFG)
Bully (Lockdown)
Sabin (Impact)
Bully (Impact)
AJ (BFG, vacated on Twitter by Dixie)
Magnus (Impact)
Young (Impact)
Lashley (Impact)
Roode (Impact)
Lashley (Impact)
Angle (Impact)

17 PPV changes, 14 Impact changes, 3 vacatings (2 on Impact, 1 on Twitter)

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

SamuraiFoochs posted:

And say what you will about WWE destroying their PPV business but A) they did it voluntarily, B) their alternative is probably(?) close to break even (help me out here MRT) but most importantly C) WWE still makes money on TV rights, merch, and touring, literally none of which TNA does except merch I guess technically.

If you're talking the Network being break-even, that's hard to say considering they're spending more on it now and we don't know what the most recent paying subscriber count is. If it's gone down, they're probably losing money on it again because of all the new expense they added right after Wrestlemania.

But yes they still make tons of money on other things and are in no way in the situation TNA is in. So much so it's not even really relevant to compare.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 13, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Chris James 2 posted:

1 on Twitter

What now? Twitter? How the gently caress does that work?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Memento posted:

What now? Twitter? How the gently caress does that work?

Heel Dixie Twitter angle suspending and stripping emo rebel AJ of the title.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

KungFu Grip posted:

Heel Dixie Twitter angle suspending and stripping emo rebel AJ of the title.

Did that actually work out? It would not have been unlike Dixie to strip the then-WWE champion of their title by accident.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It was during AJ's Punk angle of taking the belt and leaving with it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Luigi Thirty posted:

Either way, the numbers spell disaster for Kurt Angle. Not Samoa Joe though.

Kurt Angle KNOWWWS he doesn't have a job in September, so he's not even gonna try

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I don't see Sting's infamous Victory Road win on that list.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't see Sting's infamous Victory Road win on that list.

Sting was already champ going in.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

they should recreate sting/hardy at victory road for angle/ec3 on TV to pop that replay rating

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SamuraiFoochs posted:

from what I've seen their merch isn't moving that great. But then again, they've conditioned their fans that cool stuff happens on TV and if you wait long enough tickets to live events can be had for free.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I know this is small potatoes on the TNA gently caress up meter, but I just went to shopTNA, and they have pictures of Victoria/Tara advertising T-Shirts. She hasn't worked for them in years, and split acrimoniously didn't she?

Also ODB, and Mickie James.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know this is small potatoes on the TNA gently caress up meter, but I just went to shopTNA, and they have pictures of Victoria/Tara advertising T-Shirts. She hasn't worked for them in years, and split acrimoniously didn't she?

Also ODB, and Mickie James.

The Harris Twins can't be everywhere, surely they will fix this. Right after Dixie makes them administrators of shopTNA. Right after Dixie remembers that shopTNA exists.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
TNA hit an all time ratings low in the UK also Slammiversary was announced as airing over there at 1am on Challenge TV live.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Why do I feel sad when I hear news like that, it's not like I have any reason to feel bad for Dixie whatsoever.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Why do I feel sad when I hear news like that, it's not like I have any reason to feel bad for Dixie whatsoever.

Because ultimately it's the wrestlers and crew who will suffer and they deserve some sympathy. Whereas the one mostly responsible will be just fine whether TNA lives or dies

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dixie blames the talent for bad ratings as it is. Because, clearly, this is all their fault.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

to be fair, a lot of TNA talent loving sucks

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

super macho dude posted:

to be fair, a lot of TNA talent loving sucks

I'm not willing to agree to that, but jesus isn't Angelina one of the longest-tenured workers or something?

Right now TNA is at a point where the only people left fall into a handful of distinct groups: Loyalist, Green as Grass, and Nowhere Else to Go. And the Bromans.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Bromans broke up

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

What pains me about most of the TNA loyalist workers is that with their talent, they would all be pretty successful imo somewhere else AND getting paid fairly well at least I think they would. But instead these guys never leave and you have James Storm hipchecking Mickie James into the Hogwarts train and Kenny King feuding with loving Crazzy Steve.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

super macho dude posted:

What pains me about most of the TNA loyalist workers is that with their talent, they would all be pretty successful imo somewhere else AND getting paid fairly well at least I think they would. But instead these guys never leave and you have James Storm hipchecking Mickie James into the Hogwarts train and Kenny King feuding with loving Crazzy Steve.

It's really a bummer that Bobby Roode wasted his whole career in TNA. He was awesome for a time.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Reminder that this is the list of home-grown talent that has won the main event of TNA's Wrestlemania:

AJ Styles

If you want to treat the definition of home-grown talent to "anyone who never competed in WWE/WCW for a significant period of time" then the only other talents to even compete in the main event were Samoa Joe, Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, James Storm, and Sanada, all of whom lost, and Storm/Sanada barely count because Bound For Glory 2014 may have been less relevant than some One Night Onlys.

It's unbelievable that between money and talent TNA had so much potential and instead they just desperately needed to be WWE-lite.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

super macho dude posted:

What pains me about most of the TNA loyalist workers is that with their talent, they would all be pretty successful imo somewhere else AND getting paid fairly well at least I think they would.

I think a large amount of their talent is guys that were either rejected by WWE (Bram, Anderson, EC3, Tyrus, Drew, Micah, Eli Drake, Angle), unwelcome in ROH and/or other indies (Davey, Kenny King, maybe Aries, Low-Ki), or who probably wouldn't get a look from either (Spud, Crazzzzzzy Steve, Mandrews, Sam Shaw, Gunner, Chris Melendez) so I don't know how well they'd do in the indies. You do have your lifers like Roode, Storm, Abyss, Young, Magnus who might be able to score a tryout in WWE or do some indy shots. I dunno if that'd translate to being paid well though, since you have to assume that at least Roode, Storm, and maybe Young have better deals than most in TNA and they're not exactly AJ-types that are going to be in demand from nearly every indy out there. I think Manik would be the closest thing to that model, since I see him pop up on indy cards a fair bit.

e: why the heck is King Mo still on their roster page? They've obviously updated it relatively recently to add new talent and eliminate other guys that left.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Honestly I think Roode and Storm could have a good wee run on the indies as Beer Money. As singles I'm dubious at best even though I think Roode is awesome, but there's enough talent out there for them to work with well.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Abyss should find out the process to get hired by the indies then report back to Dixie immediately.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
to be fair Kenny King wasn't toxic until he walked out on his ROH dates from what I remember.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Onmi posted:

to be fair Kenny King wasn't toxic until he walked out on his ROH dates from what I remember.

Well that's what I meant -- I'm not sure if ROH will be too quick to sign him after that when they don't really *need* a Kenny King right now. The wounds may have healed in Aries case though -- I could see him being in demand from ROH and WWE when his contract comes up next week.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Well that's what I meant -- I'm not sure if ROH will be too quick to sign him after that when they don't really *need* a Kenny King right now. The wounds may have healed in Aries case though -- I could see him being in demand from ROH and WWE when his contract comes up next week.

Unless TNA try to launch another pointless lawsuit at the WWE which locks their talent in and prevents them from going. It's something TNA would do. From hells heart and all that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Onmi posted:

Unless TNA try to launch another pointless lawsuit at the WWE which locks their talent in and prevents them from going. It's something TNA would do. From hells heart and all that.

TNA's already being sued by Bischoff and Bischoff so unless their legal team is paid in boxes of old, unsold Bully Ray merch, I can't see them juggling two lawsuits and maybe a bankruptcy hearing in the fall.

e: have we talked about the terrible new X-Division belt yet?

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 16, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Those side plates don't make any sense, the TNA logo should be smaller and on top of the X.

Also it needs more flaming skulls to go with the wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The CM Punk belt

• Locked thread