Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ice To Meet You posted:

Aoki can be an all-star but only if he wears a Royals jersey.

This would actually be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Brandon McCarthy is a rad loving dude

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Yeah how dare you vote the way you want for this dumb popularity contest that means nothing

Excuse me, I believe you will find that this time it matters

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
As a punishment, I demand every trade involving the Cardinals in the past year to be voided

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Yeah how dare you vote the way you want for this dumb popularity contest that means nothing
something something home field advantage

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The All Star Game is a proud institution reserved for true legends like Mark Redman, we can't go making a mockery of it.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Crimson Sox posted:

As a punishment, I demand every trade involving the Cardinals in the past year to be voided

That's fine, we'll take Shelby back.

gently caress Heyward.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

The All Star Game is a proud institution reserved for true legends like Mark Redman, we can't go making a mockery of it.

Having lived through those teams does kind of make me say gently caress it and be ok with putting all the Royals in.

Looking that team up Mark Teahan was actually the most deserving (at least over the entire season). That would have been cool, he was a likeable guy.

e: Oh god Ambiorix Burgos was the closer that year. An actual murderer.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 16, 2015

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i voted for all the royals as a troll move and because it gives my team a better chance of having home field

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

This would actually be amazing.

I want to see the NL wear all Royals shirsies during warm-ups. They would delay the game and piss people off if they took the field that way, but I just hope they stick it to the Royals somehow.

I think MLB should institute a rule that any team that gets 7 or more starters elected gets to keep the remaining 1 or 2 players elected to the starting lineup. If you elect 7 Royals, Mike Trout and Nelson Cruz, you get to keep Cruz and Trout after the game. That would get people voting, right?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Assuming this all works out and the Royals get their whole squad in the all star game, what happens when they make it to the world series this year and don't have home field advantage?

Will they wise up and next year have the same voting effort except it will be for really crappy NL players?

You're 2016 NL all star starting lineup:
Martin Maldonado
Yangervis Solarte
Chris Owings
Cody Asche
etc

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
N: Marlins beat writer reporting that Dan Jennings is favorite to manage Marlins in 2016.

V: KILL ME

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I think an appropriate punishment for the Cardinals would be to demote the entire franchise to AA.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

Assuming this all works out and the Royals get their whole squad in the all star game, what happens when they make it to the world series this year and don't have home field advantage?

Will they wise up and next year have the same voting effort except it will be for really crappy NL players?

Martin Maldonado
Yangervis Solarte
Chris Owings
Cody Asche
etc

They are going to win the game. It's going to happen because baseball is full of bullshit. Plus, Yost can just pick reserves to make-up for whatever he doesn't get from his own players.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Martin Maldonado
Yangervis Solarte
Chris Owings
Cody Asche
etc
I for one welcome the reverse 3-card-blind all-star teams of 2016!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Retail Slave posted:

I think an appropriate punishment for the Cardinals would be to demote the entire franchise to AA.

Demote the Cardinals, replace them with the Hartford Yards Goats.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Twins are 4-11 in June :suicide:

Joe Mauer is old and sucks now and I am sad

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

That's fine, we'll take Shelby back.

gently caress Heyward.

For real, I miss Shelby.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Senf posted:

gently caress the Cardinals and gently caress the Angels.

Hard to argue with that

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

So the a's have the worst bullpen ever.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

After scoring either 1 or 2 runs in 6 games during their 7 game losing streak, the Astros have scored 10, 1, 13, 6 and 8 in their last 5 games. Feast or famine with this team

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

Having lived through those teams does kind of make me say gently caress it and be ok with putting all the Royals in.

Looking that team up Mark Teahan was actually the most deserving (at least over the entire season). That would have been cool, he was a likeable guy.

e: Oh god Ambiorix Burgos was the closer that year. An actual murderer.

You cannot force a fanbase to accept the idea that Ken Harvey is a legitimate all star one year and then get mad at them for not treating it with the proper respect the next. Ken Harvey played 12 games after his all star year, compared to that Infante is like Ted Williams.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
The only fair way to make things right for the Astros is for MLB to force the Cards to take a player of the Astros choosing out of the AL West since it'll make their lives easier. If that means forcing the Cards to sign Mike Trout, then so be it, the Cards will just have to deal with their punishment

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

MourningView posted:

You cannot force a fanbase to accept the idea that Ken Harvey is a legitimate all star one year and then get mad at them for not treating it with the proper respect the next. Ken Harvey played 12 games after his all star year, compared to that Infante is like Ted Williams.

Better than Bryan Lahair!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

vegeta dentata posted:

N: Marlins beat writer reporting that Dan Jennings is favorite to manage Marlins in 2016.

V: KILL ME
I'm not the least bit surprised. He's Loria's guy, so of course he's going to get a shot. Good luck getting players to come into that situation though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9r8QfUpEDg

Watch an Astros fan get hit in the face by Hank Conger's homer

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Demote the Cardinals, replace them with the Hartford Yards Goats.

This seems like the only reasonable recourse.

Cardinals found guilty of "not playing the right way". Or is this actually the right way? I'm confused.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Just saw NBC Nightly News do an interesting take on the Cardinals/Astros situation.

They found a Houston fan at Busch who thinks he's solved a mystery. When asked what he thought about the hacking of the Astros' player development and trade talk data in 2013, he sagely said, "That explains why Houston has lost to the Cardinals in the past."

Yes, those decades of domination the Cardinals visited upon their National League rivals, the Houston Astros, is explained by the fact that after the Astros moved to a new league, someone in the Cardinals organization read some 'Stros emails about trades and saw the development plan of some of their prospects. Oh, if only this story had come out in time to disqualify the Cardinals from the 2004 postseason!

The reporter indicated that the Astros are the rivals of the Cardinals, which wasn't true at the time this hacking took place (and isn't true today and hadn't been true for a couple of years before the hacking), and summed up his report by saying that "historically, when the Astros were in the National League, they were often owned by the Cardinals, whlie now the Astros are in the American league, and ironically lead the AL West."

In the report were also soundbytes related to how teams will do anything to gain a competitive edge, even though the people doing the investigation are pretty sure that this had nothing to do with gaining a competitive edge. I'd like to be able to say that they're trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but honestly, it looks like lazy journalism. "One team hacked another? They must have been trying to get an edge so they could beat them. Run with that. It's the only possible explanation."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tarlibone posted:

In the report were also soundbytes related to how teams will do anything to gain a competitive edge, even though the people doing the investigation are pretty sure that this had nothing to do with gaining a competitive edge. I'd like to be able to say that they're trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but honestly, it looks like lazy journalism. "One team hacked another? They must have been trying to get an edge so they could beat them. Run with that. It's the only possible explanation."

Out of morbid curiosity what is your explanation of this?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think Brandon McCarthy should be in the HoF for his contribution to MLB through twitter.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

tarlibone posted:

In the report were also soundbytes related to how teams will do anythin"One team hacked another? They must have been trying to get an edge so they could beat them. Run with that. It's the only possible explanation."
Yeah, it pretty much is. Getting a look at proprietary statistics, draft planning, budgets, personal evaluations, ect could all be extremely useful in gaining a competitive edge. Maybe not directly against the Astros, but against other teams in general.

Don't forget this a multi-billion dollar business where the difference between going home at the end of the season and the playoffs is winning five more games than someone else.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Retail Slave posted:

Too late to save Oscar Taveras and Josh Hancock though

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

They'd need AAA to do that.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Poque posted:

:golfclap:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

Out of morbid curiosity what is your explanation of this?

I think someone wanted to see if Luhnow had implemented some sort of proprietary analytical system in the Astro's baseball operation that he'd developed while working for the Cardinals. This is also roughly the same theory that the investigators seem to have, according to the New York Times:

quote:

Investigators believe Cardinals officials, concerned that Mr. Luhnow had taken their idea and proprietary baseball information to the Astros, examined a master list of passwords used by Mr. Luhnow and the other officials who had joined the Astros when they worked for the Cardinals. The Cardinals officials are believed to have used those passwords to gain access to the Astros’ network, law enforcement officials said.

Given the facts that in 2013, the Astros and Cardinals were in different leagues both literally (AL vs. NL) and figuratively (the Astros were the worst team in baseball while the Cardinals won the NL pennant), this theory regarding the motive of the Cardinals official responsible for hacking the Astros actually makes sense. When you further consider the fact that what the hackers ended up getting access to would have answered any concerns the Cardinals had regarding the new system Luhnow had installed in Houston, it's a likely explanation.

The information compromised wouldn't have been very useful in helping an AL West team beat the Astros, much less the Cardinals.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 17, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

This right here.

This is a good post.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Poque posted:

hahaha

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

tarlibone posted:

"One team hacked another? They must have been trying to get an edge so they could beat them. Run with that. It's the only possible explanation."

This is probably correct, agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

lol if anybody thinks the FB loving I gives a single poo poo about what kind of competitive advantage the Cardinals were hoping to gain by committing a federal crime

• Locked thread