Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Does woj not know most European countries teach English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think Zingdawg's stock should probably fall somwhere between where it appears to be in this thread and where it is in the mind of Chad Ford, but anytime you open a Woj article that is not reporting news you should immediately close the browser and throw your computer out the nearest window.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
For what it's worth, DX also has him going third.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

For what it's worth, DX also has him going third.

They do, likely based on where they're hearing he'll go, but when they actually talk about where he should go they're a lot more cautious about him and have him 10th (Ford's big board has him 5, and I don't even know how current that is, because on twitter he said he should go 2, and I think in a recent article about big men with Pelton he had him above Okafor). When it comes to Euros DX are actually a lot more enthusiastic about Hezonja.

e: Both DX and Ford have a tendency to overrate Euro guys a bit, but DX isn't as bad (and Ford to his credit has gotten better). I tend to trust DX more because they seem to put a lot of work into going over there to scout firsthand. They also seem like they're really plugged in when it comes to projecting where international players will actually go.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 17, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I like to guess what agenda Woj is pushing. In this case, I think Kristaps agent may have blown him under the table at that steakhouse.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A couple od months I heard about him being compared to Dirk and Aldridge, I figured well he's just Bargnani. He's definitely not Bargnani. Unless he has a huge dumb brain or bird bones, I don't see how his floor is very loe. I'm kind if in love with him. He has power for being a skeleton.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DX is a great resource for information regarding all the prospects, but oh boy run the other way when they try to speculate or editorialize on NBA teams

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
So I don't get Muiday.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

Dejan Bimble posted:

That is a disheartening loving draft pick. Sam Dekker at 8.

if they skip stanley johnson they're morons

I can understand taking Winslow or Hezonja even if I wouldn't agree w/ it, but taking Dekker is just the move you make when you've had WAY too much time to think about it

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I was personally shocked at how well Kristaps spoke english the first time I heard him so I'm probably racist.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

So I don't get Muiday.

He is big, fast, athletic, and apparently a good passer.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
I don't see the big shock in Kristaps being able to speak proper english, it' s not like he comes from Boston or something.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ty1990 posted:

I was personally shocked at how well Kristaps spoke english the first time I heard him so I'm probably racist.

Metapod posted:

Does [insert name] not know most European countries teach English?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A ton of Asian countries speak out too. English language and US dollar, closest thing you get to universal in this world

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
The more I think about it, the more I think a lot of this class will own

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
I'm pretty shocked when ANY of these guys open their mouths and speak well so it's not just euros

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

A ton of Asian countries speak out too. English language and US dollar, closest thing you get to universal in this world

Did not this

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think a lot of this class will own

:agreed:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
My girlfriend spent 6 years becoming nearly fluent in German so she could live there for a bit only to find that once she got there almost literally every single person not only spoke English, but also refused to speak to her in German because they wanted to practice their English

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

My girlfriend spent 6 years becoming nearly fluent in German so she could live there for a bit only to find that once she got there almost literally every single person not only spoke English, but also refused to speak to her in German because they wanted to practice their English

It's like someone else is living mein Leben.

Rick posted:

So I don't get Muiday.

His passes are more accurate than his free throws.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9znwIJov3F8

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
My biggest problem with Porzingis is his name and face are begging to get dunked on.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mudiay is like a slightly less mysterious Dante Exum and really who doesn't want a Dante Exum

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Odds are if you're an American overseas you'll be in some touristy place and anyone there who pretends not to speak English actually does and is just trying to hustle you

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

and really who doesn't want a Dante Exum

Huh. I can't tell if this is sarcastic or if maybe I should have watched the Jazz games instead of just reading the stats.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mostly. He is not very good. But he occasionally looks like he might some day be good. I don't want to give up on him yet but simultaneously am not super confident that he's going to ever develop into anything worthwhile

The Jazz are currently getting buzz as a fun team because they're young and haven't been good in awhile, but do not be fooled, they are incredibly boring and you should not watch them. They are on pace to be the west coast Pacers but with a less clumsy giant center.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I see you have all been talking about my friend and amigo: Kris Porzingis.

One idea I have is that Hinkie is playing him up -thru woz who seems MAYBE to now be working with Hinkie - to get more value in a trade down.

I mean many people have that idea it's not original.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thunder are gonna be really fun next season if they're healthy.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

I see you have all been talking about my friend and amigo: Kris Porzingis.

One idea I have is that Hinkie is playing him up -thru woz who seems MAYBE to now be working with Hinkie - to get more value in a trade down.

I mean many people have that idea it's not original.

At this point, I just accept that everyone will be lying about everything for the next 8 days.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Mudiay is like a slightly less mysterious Dante Exum and really who doesn't want a Dante Exum

Mudiay might have the slowest released jumper in the NBA. Kendrick Perkins esque.

His Chinese games were a strange sight. He was so much stronger and faster that the other team would put three guys in front of him, and he would slide around them as if they were traffic cones.
He does have the same oop ability as Exum.

I'd say he's bouncier and stronger than Exum, about the same footspeed.

The difference between them is that Mudiay looks like he knows what he's doing with the ball. He doesn't play like he's a foundling from the rushes. He surveys the defense, and slams into them like a wrecking ball, or makes it seem that way and passes to open shooters.

I still believe in Exum, even though he was beyond bad last year. Mudiay looks much better.

I wish they both would have played in the NCAA.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

I've run so many variations of this trade through the Trade Machine in the past few weeks. It's slightly gratifying to see that my late night, drunken basketball ruminations have some slight basis in reality.

edit: And I do think the #6 is too much for Lawson unless Sacramento includes Carl Landry and/or Jason Thompson to save some money (and probably to abide by cap rules).

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 18, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nuggets not exactly doing from a position of strength regarding Lawson and PDA is gone so there goes that hook. I'd like Lawson on the team but not at the cost of #6 so I don't see how anything can get worked out

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I'd take that if I were the Kings, not like you can just draft a short shooty point guard with the 60th pick or whatever

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I've run so many variations of this trade through the Trade Machine in the past few weeks. It's slightly gratifying to see that my late night, drunken basketball ruminations have some slight basis in reality.

edit: And I do think the #6 is too much for Lawson unless Sacramento includes Carl Landry and/or Jason Thompson to save some money (and probably to abide by cap rules).
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-much-is-winning-the-nba-draft-lottery-really-worth/
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/10758663/examining-expected-production-every-slot-nba-draft

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/10758663/examining-expected-production-every-slot-nba-draft I don't have insider even though I still subscribe to that god awful magazine, so I'm assuming those two say about the same thing.

A6th overall pick is about a 3 wins produced per year (it's a little bit of a weird stat but it's the only draft value tthing I could find in plain view). Guys who produce about 3wp this year, Marco Bellinelli, Jodie Meeks, Kevin Garnett.

Ty Lawson is in the top 16 of wp, with 12.6

Unless Denver is convinced, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Willie Cauley Stein is a Larry Sanders esque defensive superstar, Justise Winslow is James Harden 2.0, Mario Hezonja is the white sg the league demands, etc, it's not a good trade.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-much-is-winning-the-nba-draft-lottery-really-worth/
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/10758663/examining-expected-production-every-slot-nba-draft

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/10758663/examining-expected-production-every-slot-nba-draft I don't have insider even though I still subscribe to that god awful magazine, so I'm assuming those two say about the same thing.

A6th overall pick is about a 3 wins produced per year (it's a little bit of a weird stat but it's the only draft value tthing I could find in plain view). Guys who produce about 3wp this year, Marco Bellinelli, Jodie Meeks, Kevin Garnett.

Ty Lawson is in the top 16 of wp, with 12.6

Unless Denver is convinced, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Willie Cauley Stein is a Larry Sanders esque defensive superstar, Justise Winslow is James Harden 2.0, Mario Hezonja is the white sg the league demands, etc, it's not a good trade.

Except Denver seems to be a dysfunctional organization and every sign points to at least a limited rebuild, or, at the very least, a roster-cleansing instead of trying to make the playoffs. And all of the Ty Lawson drama seems to be bad enough that it's depreciated his value to the point that it's Sacramento who is hesitating on pulling the trigger. If you can wade through my shitposting history, I posted a baby review of Lawson's issues (tldr; alcohol).

edit: and yeah I think there is enough value at 6 in this year's draft. If I'm Denver and I can get Lawson and his attitude/issues out of there and replace him with someone like WCS/Herzonja/or even Mudiay, I do it in a second.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 18, 2015

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Except Denver seems to be a dysfunctional organization and every sign points to at least a limited rebuild, or, at the very least, a roster-cleansing. And all of the Ty Lawson drama seems to be bad enough that it's depreciated his value to the point that it's Sacramento who is hesitating.

If you can wade through my shitposting history, I posted a baby review of Lawson's issues (tldr; alcohol).

I don't deny that they seem hosed up post Masai. And I don't deny that Ty might have a drinking problem. He could get some treatment, he could decide to change his ways.

He's so cheap that he doesn't impact a rebuild. Teams can and do lose tons of games with good pgs. They have too many good players to be truly bad. And if they dump those good players for draft picks that aren't commensurate with their value, they will probably stay bad!

I'm all for Trading Faried. He might be the sweetest boy in the NBA, but he's not a good defender, and I don't know when he'll learn/try. I hate front court players who can't defend! It's my pet peeve

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 18, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lawson is already better than what we can get at #6 and has a fair chance of continuing to be better than what we can get there. But we are a crap team so I'd rather spin the wheel on a rookie on a cheap deal. Lawson is really good, but PG is the least of our issues. Lawson won't fix our lack of a shot blocker down low or need for shooting on the perimeter and we don't exactly have any other assets to do that with. Our depth would get a little bump, but we still have no bench.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 18, 2015

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

I don't deny that they seem hosed up post Masai. And I don't deny that Ty might have a drinking problem. He could get some treatment, he could decide to change his ways.

He's so cheap that he doesn't impact a rebuild. Teams can and do lose tons of games with good pgs. They have too many good players to be truly bad. And if they dump those good players for draft picks that aren't commensurate with their value, they will probably stay bad!

I'm all for Trading Faried. He might be the sweetest boy in the NBA, but he's not a good defender, and I don't know when he'll learn/try. I hate front court players who can't defend! It's my pet peeve

He's not super expensive, but he's still on the books for ~$12 mill in a league with a surfeit of PGs. He definitely would be a valuable piece for any team; he's not Chris Paul or Steph Curry, but he's probably near the top of the next tier.

I mean it's just my opinion, but given the depth of the draft in the top 10-12 players and that the Nuggets also have the #7 pick, I would rather go into next season with a starting 5 of say Mudiay-Herzonja-Gallinari-Faried-Nurkic (using DX draft order). They're not going to compete in the West next year even if they keep Lawson, Mudiay and Herzonja are two of the draftees with highest floors and that's potentially a young, interesting, and really really good team in a few years.

I guess if I'm Sacramento's position, I say gently caress it we already have Collison who isn't a terrible PG and why not kiss Boogie's rear end by taking WCS. Or if Mudiay's at #6 that might make Ty a bit less attractive.

note: take into account that I'm probably prejudiced by being a Sixers fan :)

edit: prejudiced towards rebuilding, etc.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rick posted:

Thunder are gonna be really fun next season if they're healthy.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei34RqCmRXQ

• Locked thread