Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aww. It's a photoshop.
Though I'd be 100% fine with a lightning option when doing the crossdressing. (maybe you get it by choosing all the no-fun stick in the mud dialogue)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Maybe I'm in the minority but while I'm excited as all gently caress for the remake, I don't really care if it keeps the spirit of the original. It would be nice if they did, but for me the PSX version will always be the definitive version, and however they decide to approach the remake, it won't take away from what made the game great to begin with.

But I'm the person who just bought a PS2 with three games that all currently have HD updates (FFX, DMC, and MGS2). Maybe it's the purist in me, but I much prefer playing the games as they were back then even if the remakes are objectively better.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I always a HD remake only working if everything was kept pretty much the same with non-lovely dialogue, filling in the plotholes and 3D effects out the rear end(make summons crazy). It was so fun to break materia and stuff, I don't know how they could take that out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Aww. It's a photoshop.
Though I'd be 100% fine with a lightning option when doing the crossdressing. (maybe you get it by choosing all the no-fun stick in the mud dialogue)

Lightning is literally just pink haired girl Cloud. They share the exact same face model.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
God I really hope they just go balls to the wall ridiculous with the summons. Make me feel seeing them now how I did as a kid seeing Neo Bahamut / Bahamut Zero for the first time :allears:

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Honestly, what makes me have the most hope for the remake is that they included the slide from the playground in the trailer. That was the landmark that confirmed it was Midgar and a FF7 remake to me 100%. The more I think about it, that says a lot about the original game, and that at least some of the people involved in the remake are already paying attention to the real quirks and charms in the game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Improbable Lobster posted:

Lightning is literally just pink haired girl Cloud. They share the exact same face model.

And rigging, and some stock animations too. Their walk cycle is identical.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Code Jockey posted:

God I really hope they just go balls to the wall ridiculous with the summons. Make me feel seeing them now how I did as a kid seeing Neo Bahamut / Bahamut Zero for the first time :allears:
Summons taking a minute to cast will be annoying.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Elentor posted:

And rigging, and some stock animations too. Their walk cycle is identical.

Expect the FF7 remake to include a sidequest where Lightning is revealed to be Clouds twin sister somehow

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Expect the FF7 remake to include a sidequest where Lightning is revealed to be Clouds twin sister somehow
No, Lightning is Cloud's daughter/alternate reality self.

I mean, lightning comes from clouds after all. :pseudo:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

You should eyeball the FF15 demo.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Rodyle posted:

You should eyeball the FF15 demo.

Ramuh Summon. :black101:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

That would actually be kinda funny.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Scalding Coffee posted:

Summons taking a minute to cast will be annoying.

Well, hopefully with an option to toggle them off.

:stare: oh my god FF15 is gorgeous

But yes, exactly like that, that was incredible. :black101: indeed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

EponymousMrYar posted:

No, Lightning is Cloud's daughter/alternate reality self.

I mean, lightning comes from clouds after all. :pseudo:
Clouds are made of water, just like snow.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Interesting. The horse thing on Ramuh's staff is the lightning summon from FFX.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

That looks a lot like the FFIX Ramuh Summon in glorious HD and that is so beautiful.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Square Enix sure knows its particle effects!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, I don't think they thought about that when they made FF8 or FF9, but by the time they made FF12, they knew drat well what they were doing, and what they were doing was putting FF5 Gilgamesh into every goddamn FF game possible as literally his FF5 self, and that's colored his appearance in all the remakes and Dissidia.

He'd be a pretty funny cameo in this one. Picture it: you're going back to Midgar to stop the Sister Ray and in a side alley BATTLE TRANSITION!

Gilgamesh: "HA! Finally made it! Now to collect the most famous weapon from this world! Give me... THE BUSTER SWORD!"

Cloud: :draw: "What, this buster sword?"

Gilgamesh: "Yes! OR I FIGHT YOU!"

Cloud: ". . . Sure thing, man, here you go." :toss:

Gilgamesh: "And now... I FIGHT YOU ANYWAY!" :ten second attack animation, zeroes pop up over the entire party:

Cloud: "Starting weapon, duder."

Gilgamesh: "Oh... errors have been made."

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Glazius posted:

He'd be a pretty funny cameo in this one. Picture it: you're going back to Midgar to stop the Sister Ray and in a side alley BATTLE TRANSITION!

Gilgamesh: "HA! Finally made it! Now to collect the most famous weapon from this world! Give me... THE BUSTER SWORD!"

Cloud: :draw: "What, this buster sword?"

Gilgamesh: "Yes! OR I FIGHT YOU!"

Cloud: ". . . Sure thing, man, here you go." :toss:

Gilgamesh: "And now... I FIGHT YOU ANYWAY!" :ten second attack animation, zeroes pop up over the entire party:

Cloud: "Starting weapon, duder."

Gilgamesh: "Oh... errors have been made."

This is entirely in line with his character in xiv.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Frabba posted:

Also 1, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12....

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Frabba posted:

To be fair, how many times has he mistaken excalipoor for Excalibur? I'm still can't figure out why he had both in 8 though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Silegna posted:

To be fair, how many times has he mistaken excalipoor for Excalibur? I'm still can't figure out why he had both in 8 though.

Hedging his bets. He can't throw one away. What if it was Excalibur? Then he'd look like an idiot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Silegna posted:

Didn't all the magic fade from the world at the end of FF6? Maybe he stole it while it was totally ordinary.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

grandalt posted:

Interesting. The horse thing on Ramuh's staff is the lightning summon from FFX.

Ixion

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tunicate posted:

Didn't all the magic fade from the world at the end of FF6? Maybe he stole it while it was totally ordinary.

Nah, he got it in the middle of FF5, it's the item in the chest you're unable to open in Exdeath's Castle :v:

I can't believe I'm discussing Gilgamesh canon in earnest

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, he got it in the middle of FF5, it's the item in the chest you're unable to open in Exdeath's Castle :v:

I can't believe I'm discussing Gilgamesh canon in earnest

Nah I mean the real excalibur.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay I haven't been sure about their art style for a few games but that summon was loving awesome.

Tunicate posted:

Well Gilgamesh in FF6 was an Esper, so in theory he ceased to exist when the game was over. It doesn't make sense, don't think about it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 18, 2015

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Was it called Excalipoor in Japanese, or was it, uh... Exocalibur? I'm thinking Excalibur but with "kuso" in there.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
iirc it's Excalipur instead of Excalibur, so just devoiced b/p, hence the easy mix-up.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

George posted:

Was it called Excalipoor in Japanese, or was it, uh... Exocalibur? I'm thinking Excalibur but with "kuso" in there.

Nah, it was also Excalipoor in Japanese, according to this, or "ekusukaripaa."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FinalGamer posted:

Did you not notice Kitase was the PRODUCER in the trailer?

I understand your worries considering Nojima wrote pretty much every other Final Fantasy VII spinoff as well as Advent Children. But he also was the writer of the original game along with Kitase himself.
At the very least, Nomura did not direct Dirge of Cerberus, he was just the character designer just like he was with the original FF7. And in all fairness, if Nomura can still pull funny poo poo in Kingdom Hearts, then I want to believe that he can still recreate funny stuff in FF7's remake.

But, seriously guys, we only have one trailer, we have no idea what the game even LOOKS like so maybe we should just relax a little and wait until further stuff comes up.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm nervous but hopeful. Cautiously optimistic I guess you can call it.

Believe me, I'm just as annoyed as you are by all the whining and naysaying this has spawned. Like the talk in the FF Megathread about "modern Square sucks and are going to ruin everything and Nomura loves belt and Nojima and Kitase will write in a ton of extra garbage and blah blah blah."

I WANT this to be a good game and I honestly don't expect it to be bad. Disappointing maybe but not actually terrible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's the same reaction people have whenever a remake is announced, like recently with the Dwayne Johnson Big Trouble in Little China project. We know next to nothing about the project, and people are already screaming blasphemy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lightning came first though, and she's better.

Lightning was the main character of FF1, after all.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Silegna posted:

On the other hand, he apparently forgets the old "cup of a carpenter" trick in 9 and passes up the Excalibur II for the Excalipoor, or his lackey does, or something.

Gilgamesh in 9 is kind of a headache.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

Did you not notice Kitase was the PRODUCER in the trailer?

I understand your worries considering Nojima wrote pretty much every other Final Fantasy VII spinoff as well as Advent Children. But he also was the writer of the original game along with Kitase himself.
At the very least, Nomura did not direct Dirge of Cerberus, he was just the character designer just like he was with the original FF7. And in all fairness, if Nomura can still pull funny poo poo in Kingdom Hearts, then I want to believe that he can still recreate funny stuff in FF7's remake.

But, seriously guys, we only have one trailer, we have no idea what the game even LOOKS like so maybe we should just relax a little and wait until further stuff comes up.

Well I mean he's at least nice enough to say "if you just wanted FF7 then go play FF7 because that's fine", which is yanno, that's why they're porting that game to PS4 and iOS as well.

Kitase has been involved with pretty much every Final Fantasy after the NES times from 5 and 7 to 8 and 13. There's a reason people have no reaction to his name in the credits.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I hope they won't mess with the music too much, just having modern versions of all the tracks could be pretty amazing if done well. Although the trailer being set to an Advent Children track might bode ill. :v:

At least they get one track as a freebie already thanks to XIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEeKI0qYII

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kanfy posted:

I hope they won't mess with the music too much, just having modern versions of all the tracks could be pretty amazing if done well. Although the trailer being set to an Advent Children track might bode ill. :v:

At least they get one track as a freebie already thanks to XIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEeKI0qYII

I don't really like the XIV version. Changing instrumentation sounds neat the first time but gets pretty tired after the 5th or 6th.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It'd be pretty funny if for the cross-dressing section you collected all the best items Cloud would end up looking exactly like Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I don't really like the XIV version. Changing instrumentation sounds neat the first time but gets pretty tired after the 5th or 6th.

I really like VII's soundtrack but the Gold Saucer theme wears out its welcome pretty quickly even in the original so that sounds about right.

Also assuming they do it well, I'm all for the remake if it gives me modern versions of Judgement Day and Cid's Theme.

• Locked thread