Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Hell, have the Missile Base Team actually die. That be interesting.

If everyone on the missile base team actually died, I'd have a lot harder time deciding which three I dislike the most :v:

e: I lie. Assuming you can't send Squall, the obvious choice is that Zell and Barely Legal Dominatrix Teacher get to live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I liked FF8. It had a really cool late 90's/early 00's style no other game has recreated, mixing contemporary (at the time) technology with magic and the soundtrack was pretty chill.

I mean listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNdGoENQNQ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZMWszd5SRk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB30RVWeuP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAQqxUsXWqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_jOR3V07Xw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txs-MnMiP2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMYisFOaz1s

And I can't find the song that plays in that one city where you ambush Edea, but that was real chill too

Yes I found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKI8RFr0Ec8

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 19, 2015

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Calaveron posted:

I liked FF8. It had a really cool late 90's/early 00's style no other game has recreated, mixing contemporary (at the time) technology with magic and the soundtrack was pretty chill.

Breezy is such a good song and it's nice to listen to whenever I'm cleaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB30RVWeuP8

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Selphie is actually the best FF8 character. :colbert:

That is a very low bar though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't think even FFVIII's many detractors will dare insult the soundtrack. As to be expected of an FF game, it had great music.

I'm a sucker for sappy love themes.

One does have to question the direction of the music though. For example this being NORG's theme. This is totally a final boss kinda theme, or at least something befitting a fantasy evil overlord type. Why they chose it as NORG's theme is beyond me.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

He also said Snow's and Hope's subplot was ripped straight from something else where it was done a lot better. Persona 3 maybe? I can't remember. I didn't know what he was citing.

Hadn't thought of it that way, but yes, Persona 3 has a nearly identical subplot.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I want Yoko Taro to write and direct the next Final Fantasy

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think even FFVIII's many detractors will dare insult the soundtrack. As to be expected of an FF game, it had great music.

The soundtrack was fine, yeah, but it still had its share of crappy tracks. Sorry, Nobuo, but it's the truth.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of music, I have a Very Important Question for you all:

Which Chocobo theme is your favorite Chocobo theme?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DaveWoo posted:

No contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Ukulele de

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

DaveWoo posted:

Techno de Chocobo, Pulse de Chocobo, Mambo de Chocobo. Those are my top three and I can't really decide.

If I wanted to play FF3, should I play the NES version or the 3D version?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DaveWoo posted:

Ukelele Chocobo theme until the end of the loving universe

Here, have 30 goddamn minutes of it you loving losers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Mft5YDHA4

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Overbite posted:

I want Yoko Taro to write and direct the next Final Fantasy

We all do.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
everytime i click on crazy chocobo i listen to it all the way through, one day i will ride that chocobo

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Here's an interview for World of Final Fantasy

quote:

GamesBeat: What kind of game is World of Final Fantasy? How will people be playing?

Hiroki Chiba: The concept of this game is to befriend all these different creatures that have appeared in the Final Fantasy series The basic play style is very similar to older Final Fantasy games. Within the battles you’ll be trying to collect those creatures.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Pokemon: Sephiroth edition. Hell yeah I'm gonna capture a Tonberry and a Chocobo, cus we're gonna ride that chocobo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

bloodychill posted:

Whoever decided Zell was maybe really too into hot dogs was the bright light on that team.

It was actually bread in the original version, I guess the localization wanted to make it a food more accessible to the Western public, like how Phoenix Wright changed it to hamburgers.

DaveWoo posted:

Vamo'alla Flamenco or bust.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DaveWoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNOi1XAokmc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just remembered about that FF MonHun game, I guess it got slated so badly they decided not to bother releasing it outside Japan.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It was actually bread in the original version, I guess the localization wanted to make it a food more accessible to the Western public, like how Phoenix Wright changed it to hamburgers.

Japan has a lot of weird specialty "breads" that are more like sandwiches, or even pastries. They use the term broadly in a way that doesn't work in English.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I was really confused both by their assertion that "a cute Final Fantasy accessible to people of all ages" was something new and by the hate gently caress response WoFF got during the conference because, you know, that already existed in the form of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

I will collect all the pokemon on Vita, yes I will.

All the carbuncles, anyway

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

DaveWoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgwsA59WOY

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tyty posted:

If I wanted to play FF3, should I play the NES version or the 3D version?

Neither, but the NES version is the less terrible of the two.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Clarste posted:

Japan has a lot of weird specialty "breads" that are more like sandwiches, or even pastries. They use the term broadly in a way that doesn't work in English.

I was gonna say. If the scene where everyone was waiting in line and the school ran out of "bread," I'd think the game was taking place in like siege era Stalingrad or something.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was gonna say. If the scene where everyone was waiting in line and the school ran out of "bread," I'd think the game was taking place in like siege era Stalingrad or something.

This feels kind of similar to how Americans have a really broad definition of 'sandwich'. As an Australian it's funny to see Americans talking about things like KFC's 'chicken sandwiches'.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

They were offensively forgettable. I maintain FFVIII has by far the worst party in FF history. There is no justification for everyone being useless, irrelevant and two-dimensional. You can't even argue they exist to give the gameplay some diversity because everyone plays exactly the same. If you have six party members and only 2 of them have any real character, I can maybe forgive you if the other four exist to give you some different options for battles. But nope, Zell, Irvine, Quistis and Selphie are just there because......

You really could just make the game about Squall and Rinoa and drop the others and nothing would change. Hell, have the Missile Base Team actually die. That be interesting.

I recently had a whole argument with a friend of mine about which was worse, FFVIII or FFXIII. My position was that FFVIII's cookie cutter characters were insulting while FFXIII gave at least some focus to the entire cast. His counterargument was that FFVIII wasn't trying to develop the entire party and that it was really Squall's story, thus the fact Irvine and the others were bland as gently caress didn't really matter. Whereas FFXIII's characters were so badly developed that it made you yearn for FFVIII's lack of character development.

He also said Snow's and Hope's subplot was ripped straight from something else where it was done a lot better. Persona 3 maybe? I can't remember. I didn't know what he was citing.

whatever

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

They were offensively forgettable. I maintain FFVIII has by far the worst party in FF history. There is no justification for everyone being useless, irrelevant and two-dimensional. You can't even argue they exist to give the gameplay some diversity because everyone plays exactly the same. If you have six party members and only 2 of them have any real character, I can maybe forgive you if the other four exist to give you some different options for battles. But nope, Zell, Irvine, Quistis and Selphie are just there because......

You really could just make the game about Squall and Rinoa and drop the others and nothing would change. Hell, have the Missile Base Team actually die. That be interesting.

I recently had a whole argument with a friend of mine about which was worse, FFVIII or FFXIII. My position was that FFVIII's cookie cutter characters were insulting while FFXIII gave at least some focus to the entire cast. His counterargument was that FFVIII wasn't trying to develop the entire party and that it was really Squall's story, thus the fact Irvine and the others were bland as gently caress didn't really matter. Whereas FFXIII's characters were so badly developed that it made you yearn for FFVIII's lack of character development.

My argument is that although they get next to no development, Not-Dominatrix Teacher, Crazy Train Lady and I-Can't-Shoot-Her are still pretty memorable, compared to characters where they tried to give some story relevance to, like Lulu, Penelo and Kimahri.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

My argument is that although they get next to no development, Not-Dominatrix Teacher, Crazy Train Lady and I-Can't-Shoot-Her are still pretty memorable, compared to characters where they tried to give some story relevance to, like Lulu, Penelo and Kimahri.

KIMAHRI SMALL RONSO

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I should've bought FF8 in the Steam sale :(

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah how dare this cast be a bunch of blanks when part of the story involves their memories being eaten by the way they're using magic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The problem is less the memory-eating magic itself and more that they didn't really do anything interesting with it. "Hey, we all knew each other as kids, isn't that crazy?" It's not really part of a plot in a meaningful way, it's just a thing that happens. And the fact that everyone has the same backstory also ends up making them less unique.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Cloche posted:

I feel like Nomura's worst Final Fantasy design is often overlooked because of the long shadow cast by Dirge of Cerberus.

I've posted it before but there's no Nomura design worse than Musashi from Samurai Legend Musashi. Even with how dire Dirge and FFX-2's designs got, none of them were as bad as this:

DaveWoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xErfUvB7NI

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

everytime i click on crazy chocobo i listen to it all the way through, one day i will ride that chocobo

everybody's going to want to ride your chocobo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah how dare this cast be a bunch of blanks when part of the story involves their memories being eaten by the way they're using magic.

That... really isn't how it works in FFVIII. Like of all the excuses for the bad writing "they're thin and poorly developed because they're losing their memories" doesn't make sense in OR out of the story.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

quistis has no dialog past the first disk, even though she is still in every cutscene

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

corn in the bible posted:

quistis has no dialog past the first disk, even though she is still in every cutscene

She forgot to talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ImpAtom posted:

That... really isn't how it works in FFVIII. Like of all the excuses for the bad writing "they're thin and poorly developed because they're losing their memories" doesn't make sense in OR out of the story.

No, they're thin and poorly developed because, by equipping GFs over the course of the game, you the viewer lost your memory of their development. FF8 is very meta.