Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I'm trying to remember- was there something in "Night" about how the Doctor could regenerate as anything, man or woman, but he needed to be a warrior so better go with man? I think the old crone said something like that. Given all the stupid poo poo Moffat's said about the idea of the Doctor being a woman, those sorts of gender essentialist things tick me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Edit: hit post on old reply.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jurgan posted:

I'm trying to remember- was there something in "Night" about how the Doctor could regenerate as anything, man or woman, but he needed to be a warrior so better go with man? I think the old crone said something like that. Given all the stupid poo poo Moffat's said about the idea of the Doctor being a woman, those sorts of gender essentialist things tick me off.

Not really. He was told it doesn't have to be random. "Fat or thin. Young or old. Man or woman." Then after several more minutes of conversation he chose "warrior" but there was no "so better be a man".

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

You should have just lied and said you hated McGann, to save yourself from the audio-pushers

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Stoooooooorm Waaaaaarniiiiiiiing

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Not really. He was told it doesn't have to be random. "Fat or thin. Young or old. Man or woman." Then after several more minutes of conversation he chose "warrior" but there was no "so better be a man".

Well, this kinda opens a big can of worms about the nature of regeneration and the amount of control that Time Lords and the Sisters have over it. Ohila 'prepared' the War Doctor elixir personally. The sisterhood of Karn are better at controlling regenerations than Time Lords. Romana was a Time Lord and she could basically pick and choose from multiple forms. So surely Ohila decided on the particulars.

That said, the Time Lords and their counterparts on Karn are super regressive and weird in different ways and that's kind of the point of them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Occ I will literally pay for a copy of the audio if you review The Chimes of Midnight.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Okay, I must be remembering it wrong. At about this time, there was a lot of people who wanted the next Doctor to be a woman, and with the way Moffat mocked the idea in interviews I kind of felt like the "man or woman" line was rubbing it in our faces. "Yeah, he could be a woman- but he won't! Suck it!" It's hard at times to separate the creator from the work when the creator has said such stupid things on the record ("the queen should be a man?" way to miss the point).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
For all of Name Of The Doctor's faults I really love the resolution of Clara's mystery, and how it's Amy's mystery turned inside-out. With Amy we don't even really know that there is a mystery at first, outside of the odd hint that the Doctor is studying her; with Clara the mystery is how she gets introduced. With Amy there was no way she could have known about or prevented the evil crack in time eating her past; Clara voluntarily enters a crack in time with full knowledge of the consequences to restore the past to the way it should be. Amy actually had some weird power over time and space that allowed her to restore her erased family; Clara has no powers of any kind except for being a good person who did something brave.

I also like the continuation of Moffat's attempt to make his whole time on the show seem like a big clockwork engine, with several repeated plot elements and motifs etc. Like The Impossible Astronaut we see the death of a future version of the Doctor- but this time it's a real death, one that he can't chatter, joke, improvise or scheme his way out of. Something about showing not only the Doctor's grave but his (sort of) actual corpse was really affecting to me, combined with the Doctor bursting into tears when he heard the name Trenzalore.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
There's very good reason, why many of us sport 8th Doctor avatars and the reason isn't the Movie.

At the Night of the Doctor, he isn't new to the Doctor Who. He has had 12 years and 100+ hours of Audio dramas to perfect his performance.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait, there are audio dramas? Huh

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Toxxupation posted:

Welcome to oblivion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, your reaction to McGann here is pretty much the reaction to him in the TV movie: "Eh, it's kinda lame, but he's really awesome". (Though, to possibly pique your interest, that movie has ERIC ROBERTS of all people as the Master)

The companions he lists off before regenerating are all legit companions from the audios, which is a neat touch (it's not a complete list, partly because some of the missing ones are... complicated, and partly because the audios have done more seasons since then, which have added more), and a couple of those names are where McGann's portrayal of the Doctor as the wounded poet kind of comes in.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

adhuin posted:

There's very good reason, why many of us sport 8th Doctor avatars and the reason isn't the Movie.

At the Night of the Doctor, he isn't new to the Doctor Who. He has had 12 years and 100+ hours of Audio dramas to perfect his performance.

I heard people at the time saying that while his visual acting in the short wasn't great (I'm not really good at detecting bad acting unless it's REALLY bad, so I couldn't tell), his voice is what really carries it. And that makes sense; he might have been playing the Doctor in audios for years, but at the time it'd been seventeen years since he'd played him physically.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
McGann is by far the best Doctor. It's all about his mannerisms, cadence and voice though, yeah.

It took me a couple of rewatches of The Name of the Doctor to catch that it's kind of a double meaning - the whole deal about opening the grave, but I really think it comes down to the bit about "not in the name of the Doctor" at the end being the main meaning. Now I get to dream of a world where Eight and War have adventures together.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

The "what is the name of the Doctor" arc doesn't really end until "Time," and 11's regeneration. So I have some thoughts about the way it was handled, but I'll wait until then.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Doctor

In which the Doctor finds a solution.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also gently caress you Moffat is way better than Davies gently caress off I can't believe you motherfuckers bitched about him when you knew he wrote this

Fuckers

Goddamn

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Five(ish) is of little value to those not already tuned into the pre-reboot Doctors. It's great, but probably not for Occ.

I have friends who hadn't seen any of the Classic Series, but still enjoyed Five(ish), so I disagree! (Though a lot of in-jokes would go over his head... there are enough other cameos to make it worth watching!) Anyways, it would be interesting to hear his perspective on it as a New-Who only viewer.

Toxxupation posted:

Also gently caress you Moffat is way better than Davies gently caress off I can't believe you motherfuckers bitched about him when you knew he wrote this

gently caress off

Goddamn

Day of the Doctor was so good. I saw it in a movie theatre with a friend, it was great!

marktheando posted:

Yeah Night of the Doctor was iPlayer only, not on TV, for a reason.

It actually did air on TV, during a marathon that aired shortly after Day of the Doctor's first run! (Probably in the lead-up to the finale?)

DoctorWhat posted:

Occ I will literally pay for a copy of the audio if you review The Chimes of Midnight.

This probably isn't much of a selling point, but I will buy a copy of Nier if he reviews Chimes of Midnight.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 21, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

gently caress off

Goddamn

Yeah

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Toxxupation posted:

Fuckers

Goddamn

Thank you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

Fuckers

Goddamn

Moffat is terrible for his own reasons. No need to compare.

kant
May 12, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Fuckers

Goddamn

YES

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Toxxupation posted:

Fuckers

Goddamn

Thank god, I was scared you would be wrong about The Best One

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I even think that day has some Serious Problems but if you're not all like "okay well Moffat totally loving nailed it in a way that RTD NEVER EVER EVER EVER COULD" go gently caress yaselves

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

I even think that day has some Serious Problems but if you're not all like "okay well Moffat totally loving nailed it in a way that RTD NEVER EVER EVER EVER COULD" go gently caress yaselves

I'll touch on Moffat's greatest sin on the show when we get to Time of the Doctor. Note it has nothing to do with the episode itself so this isn't cheeky bullshit.

I'll also say that I don't think RTD could have done this better, but I do know I'd love to see whatever bullshit RTD would have thrown at us for the 50th.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Toxxupation posted:

Day is so obscenely indulgent and glorious, I love it forever and ever amen.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Toxxupation posted:

Oh no doubt but I would posit they came with the territory of the episode it was and were minimized as best as possible by Moffat.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Day is fantastic.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Day is second to Dinosaurs in my book but I still like Davies attitude toward Who storylines over Moffat's character development.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I know that Day of the Doctor isn't perfect, but at the same time I just can't think of anything it actually does wrong in retrospect. It's all just so masterful.

I suppose my biggest issue is that Eccleston didn't join in, with a secondary point that I'm honestly really disappointed Moffat didn't get to include the reference he wanted to the most: he wanted posters of the Peter Cushing movies hanging up in the Black Archive.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Toxxupation posted:

Fuckers

Goddamn

feels good man.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Fuckers

Goddamn

This is the moment I have been waiting for.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So get ready to skip some fanfictiony "what could have been" bullshit unless you're so inclined to listen.

After Name of the Doctor I was in a discussion that eventually lead to how I would change season 7 to improve Clara. This was my reply:

Assylum of the Daleks: Oswin isn't a brilliant human turned into a Dalek. She's just a Dalek who believes she's human. Ultimately, despite his hatred for them, he pops Oswin out of her pepper pot and takes her with him. Why? Because regardless of being a Dalek she's a good person and doesn't deserve to be imprisoned as she is.

Season 7A: Oswin stays in the TARDIS occassionally appearing in episodes.

Angels Take Manhattan: In his grief the Doctor gives Oswin a stripped down Tesselecta. She gets to be the human she always thought of herself as.

The Snowmen: Plays out mostly the same, but the Doctor now knows exactly who to go looking for.

Season 7B: We have a season of Doctor Who with a companion who can match the Doctor in intelligence getting to see the beauty of the universe but without the Dalek filter of hatred impeding her for the first time.

Rings of Akhatten: Better ending with Clara's interference for reasons discussed later.

Name of the Doctor: Tesselecta Clara "Oswin" Oswald dies, but being shattered across the Doctor's timeline means that she finally gets what she wanted. The Clara he pulls out is one who got to be born and grow up as a human on Earth.

Bonus: A Dalek saved the Doctor and in doing so saved the Universe. Bringing Baker's choice not to wipe them out pre-emptively all those years back full circle. (This is also what short circuits evil sentient sun demon in Akhaten).

As I said, fanfictiony bullshit, but I liked it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah. Who knew?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

thexerox123 posted:

This probably isn't much of a selling point, but I will buy a copy of Nier if he reviews Chimes of Midnight.

i don't care if you buy it, only if you beat it

four times

to experience the true final ending

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

four times

Everyone needs to do this btw

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
No joke, Steven Moffat has said that The Chimes of Midnight is one of the best Who stories ever, regardless of medium.

I can see why, as there's definitely a lot of chronological triggers throughout the story that would be right at home in a Moffat-penned script.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 21, 2015

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

four times

I will beat it four times to experience the true final ending and review it in this thread if you review Chimes of Midnight.

Note: tbh I was kind of skimming the thread at work when you were talking about it earlier, so I still know next to nothing about this game, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The Name of the Doctor

I swear I never want to hear the phrase "impossible girl" ever, ever again. They hit that one so hard it went numb, then broke off.

A

adhuin
Ali Aces
Angela Christine
Blasmeister
BSam
cargohills
DoctorWhat
ewe2
Gandalf21
jng2058
Jsor
LabyaMynora
Lipset and Rock On
Mo0
onetruepurple
Random Stranger
Rochallor
Well Manicured Man
Xenoborg

B

And More
Attitude Indicator
BeefyTaco
Bicyclops
Capfalcon
Colonel Cool
Dave Brookshaw
Grouchio
Labratio
Ohtsam
Organza Quiz
Senerio

C

fatherboxx
MikeJF
Paul.Power
Regy Rusty
Sinestro

D

Stumiester

F

Not a soul.

Overall Average Guess: B+. A bunch of people seem to like this one, or at least thought Toxx would.

Current rankings:

And More: 11
Paul.Power: 13
Labratio: 14
Sinestro: 14
Angela Christine: 16
Bicyclops: 16
Capfalcon: 16
Grouchio: 16
LabyaMynora: 16
MikeJF: 16
Senerio: 16
Stumiester: 16
ewe2: 17
Ohtsam: 17
Xenoborg: 17
Attitude Indicator: 18
Colonel Cool: 18
DoctorWhat: 18
fatherboxx: 18
Random Stranger: 18
Ali Aces: 19
Dave Brookshaw: 19
Mo0: 19
Organza Quiz: 19
Regy Rusty: 19
Rochallor: 19
adhuin: 20
jng2058: 20
Jsor: 20
Lipset and Rock On: 20
Well Manicured Man: 20
BeefyTaco: 22
Blasmeister: 22
Gandalf21: 22
BSam: 24
onetruepurple: 24
cargohills: 25

And More retains the lead, although Paul.Power is sneaking up from behind and Labratio and Sinestro are within striking distance. With only two episodes left, there's not much time for anyone else to steal first place, but who knows?

• Locked thread