Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yamamotoyama organic green tea is fine for an affordable bagged tea. Tastes like what most people expect from green tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'm going camping in a week and not sure exactly what I should do to brew tea. I see there are thermoses w/ built in tea strainers, that seems pretty baller and like the way to go, but I can't find one quite as large as I like. Any recommendations?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

So I'm on vacation in Boulder, CO and they have this super cool tea house. My husband is really into puerh and he ordered a (cooked?) puerh that had been fermented in a mandarin orange peel. Anyone know a good place online to buy that kind of puerh? Additionally, any recommendations for similar teas? He liked it because it was still nice and smoky and fermented, but had some bright citrusy flavors and a little more acidity.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I know Teavivre has those tangerine peel puerhs, but I haven't tried them myself.

http://www.teavivre.com/tangerine-puerh/

This is a raw puerh I got recently and the main tasting notes I'm getting are mango, apricot and honey, if you're looking for something like that. I really recommend it, great buy for the age. Not much smoke but getting nice and thick in mouthfeel.

http://crimsonlotustea.com/collections/sheng-raw-puerh/products/2005-changtai-yun-pu-zhi-dian-top-of-the-clouds-sheng-raw-bing-cake-250g

breaks
May 12, 2001

No idea where to buy them, but here is a little article on making this kind of tea oneself if that's of interest. http://gingkobay.blogspot.com/2010/04/making-tea-grapefruit-step-by-step.html

Texibus
May 18, 2008
What's the best method for preparing a lot of Iced black tea? Plan on making it by the quart to leave sitting in the fridge. Also, what's a good type for that? Apparently Tea is going to give me kidney stones now?

Texibus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 23, 2015

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I like Red Rose for iced tea as it is better than most other cheap bags yet still has the teabag character I grew up with and expect in my glass. Yorkshire Gold is also delicious if pricey for bags.

Other than that, whatever basic black blend you feel like brewing. I'd shy away from more agressive blacks like Irish or Scottish breakfast, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've made iced tea out of a pricier bagged assam that someone gave to me. poo poo was delicious.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Jasmine tea is super refreshing iced.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
If anyone's looking for a nice cheap Earl Grey Tattle Tea's is pretty amazing. I like it a lot more than Adagio's Earl Grey Bravo, and for the 2 ib bag it's less than a dollar an ounce!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Look Under The Rock posted:

Piney. It was like being out in the woods.

Sorry, I completely forgot you.

I've found the Hu-Kwa blend from Mark T. Wendell to be a very solid pine fire of a lapsang souchong. Available all over the place in 4 or 8 ounce gold tins with black front and red band in the middle. Buying a half pound tin this morning reminded me :shobon:

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Out of curiosity, what would you recommend if someone was looking for a more tobacco-ish blend? I can't really picture how that would work or taste in my head but it sounds interesting.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My local hippie grocer ordered in some Frontier brand for me and it is a good tea that is also widely available and priced okay. Well, a love it or hate it tea. I like it as a change of pace now and then.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
For those shopping for a good electric kettle for their tea:

I bought This 'Chefman' kettle off of Amazon after seeing its price point and good reviews. After a few uses it seems pretty fantastic so far. The temp goes in ten degree increments from 120F to boiling, can keep water at the temp you've set it to for up to an hour, and has a removeable yet very fine stainless steel infuser.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rollofthedice posted:

For those shopping for a good electric kettle for their tea:

I bought This 'Chefman' kettle off of Amazon after seeing its price point and good reviews. After a few uses it seems pretty fantastic so far. The temp goes in ten degree increments from 120F to boiling, can keep water at the temp you've set it to for up to an hour, and has a removeable yet very fine stainless steel infuser.

Man that looks nice. I don't really need another kettle right now but if mine stops working that looks like a must buy. I don't quite have the space for a Zojirushi :(

What's everyone drinking lately? I've been on a nonstop sheng puerh binge, this habit could get costly fast :(

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

hope and vaseline posted:

Man that looks nice. I don't really need another kettle right now but if mine stops working that looks like a must buy. I don't quite have the space for a Zojirushi :(

What's everyone drinking lately? I've been on a nonstop sheng puerh binge, this habit could get costly fast :(

I've been into Teavivre's 2015 spring selections lately, including this Bai Mudan, and their Black Dragon Pearls.

I just ordered some Silver Needle as well.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I've been drinking a lot of moroccan mint tea. Not sure what is with the mint kick, but maybe it's the summer.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I tried some Upton Himalayan Bliss from Nepal which was pretty great and drank my way through a large amount of Chung-Hao and I'm kinda sick of jasmine now. I'll be travelling soon so I'm just taking along some gunpowder and that'll be it for awhile. It's so hot I tried cold brewing some tea but hosed it up terribly on the first attempt.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Juaguocio posted:

I've been into Teavivre's 2015 spring selections lately, including this Bai Mudan, and their Black Dragon Pearls.

I just ordered some Silver Needle as well.

I've been negelecting Teavivre lately. I just finished last year's batch of their dragonwell. How do you like their Bai mudan? It's been a while since I've had a memorable white tea.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

hope and vaseline posted:

I've been negelecting Teavivre lately. I just finished last year's batch of their dragonwell. How do you like their Bai mudan? It's been a while since I've had a memorable white tea.

The one I linked is good for the price, but not outstanding. They have two higher grades of Bai Mudan that I haven't tried yet.

I'll be getting a sample of their Jasmine Silver Needle, which I'm excited to try. Never had a jasmine white tea before.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I never thought tea was for me, but I found out it was only black tea I never liked and I think even that might just be with milk. After trying some lemon and ginger and some jasmine twining tea bags, I'm looking to try some loose tea. Has anyone tried buying any Simpli-Special tea off amazon? Their selection is pretty vast and the prices look very decent compared to the other UK offerings mentioned in the OP.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I highly recommend What-Cha, free shipping for UK and amazingly huge, diverse offerings at a reasonable price.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Recommendations for iced tea and Arnold Palmer drinks? I have some regular Earl Grey but sure if I want to sacrifice it for summer yet.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Alder posted:

Recommendations for iced tea and Arnold Palmer drinks? I have some regular Earl Grey but sure if I want to sacrifice it for summer yet.

Don't use any kind of flavoured tea. Just go straight plain black, since you're going to be filling it up with lemon anyway.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Definitely straight black for AP. I like this tea with ginger and peach for iced otherwise. I also enjoy strong black teas turned iced-Assam and Keemun often. Really it comes down to personal taste preference. Try some and keep trying more. Many green teas are great iced too.

If you're adding sugar go with some Lusianne and make it nice and bitter first. (Everyone needs sweet tea sometimes.)

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
https://steep.it has a pretty good design, but those timings seem pretty bonkers. 30 seconds for white tea, really?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Yeah that seems really low, and there's a lot of variance in the different types of white tea, so I don't think you can say that they're all going to steep the same way.

I usually steep stuff like White Peony and Silver Needle for 2-3 minutes, and don't worry too much about exact temperatures. As long as the water's been off the boil for a couple minutes, it's fine for my taste.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I actually just recently got a sort of white/green tea from Yunnan Sourcing called Ai Lao Mountain Jade Needle that's super sensitive to steeping time/temp. It's actually quite bitter at longer than a minute on the first steep. I've been going gong-fu style starting with about a 20 second first steep and slowly increasing from there.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Steep times are highly variable depending on your leaf to water ratio anyways, as well as some specific teas being very sensitive (I'm looking at you, phoenix oolongs)

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
I'm looking for a source of nana mint in bulk, if such a thing is available. My husband's developed a taste for Moroccan mint tea, without the green tea involved. Currently I'm buying him boxes of Numi's Moroccan Mint, but I'm hoping for something a little more cost effective. However, my Google-fu seems to be particularly weak on this topic. Help me, tea thread!

Edit: Oops, forgot to say that we're in Canada so international shipping is a need.

Canadian Bakin fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 12, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/spearmint/c-24/p-734/pd-s

Never tried it so YMMV

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Thanks, we'll see if the in-laws can give us a hand with procuring some.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
You can also just add some dried mint to a cheap green tea you like. If you get the mint in bulk it might be the cheapest option if you loose steep the mint tea.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Could also grow a pot or two of mint in your windowsills.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Summertime mint growing could be a thing, as we have a balcony to keep it on.
All good suggestions. Thanks!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Canadian Bakin posted:

Summertime mint growing could be a thing, as we have a balcony to keep it on.
All good suggestions. Thanks!

Mint is almost too easy to grow, it is like a weed and will take over if you plant it in a yard or whatever. It's awesome. There's a strain of spearmint that has a chocolate note to it, I wish I knew the exact name but we had a ton of it in my backyard growing up and it was amazing in tea.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Look Under The Rock posted:

Mint is almost too easy to grow, it is like a weed and will take over if you plant it in a yard or whatever. It's awesome. There's a strain of spearmint that has a chocolate note to it, I wish I knew the exact name but we had a ton of it in my backyard growing up and it was amazing in tea.

It's not creative. It's called chocolate mint. It's also really tasty. Buy it once and keep it in enough space and it'll just keep coming back. It's a great addition to tea, and should be good steeped itself (although I've not tried).

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Teavivre's 4th Anniversary sale is on now. I tried to restrain myself, but I think I just bought over a kilo of tea.

I highly recommend their Premium Long Jing. It's the best Dragonwell I've found for the price: http://www.teavivre.com/premium-dragon-well-green-tea/

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ughhh teavivre why are your sales so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
I was going to skip it since I just bought some tea, but the bastards at Teavivre sent me a text message about the sale and that just pushed me over the edge. Now I'm waiting on half a kilo of tea and a couple of nice samples, including a pu-erh, which I'm excited to try!