Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Is the Lakers top 3 protected pick next season and the Thunder top 15 protected pick next season for, say, Sacramento's #6 pick (or Denver or Detroit's pick...somewhere in that range) totally unrealistic?

I'm totally arm chair GM'ing but that gives you, potentially, Russell and Hezonja as your backcourt of the future along with Noel, Saric, and (fingers crossed) Embiid as well as two more first round picks next season.

This isn't a rumor or anything, just me throwing random poo poo out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Ty1990 posted:

Is the Lakers top 3 protected pick next season and the Thunder top 15 protected pick next season for, say, Sacramento's #6 pick (or Denver or Detroit's pick...somewhere in that range) totally unrealistic?

Yeah, probably

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Lots of guys whose biggest drawback was lack of athleticism never made it in the NBA. I wouldn't use Harden as a measuring stick, he was a very unusual player who was much more athletic than scouts realized.

But people over react to average to pedestrian combine numbers. People confuse "looks like Jimmer on D" with "not elite in his class"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Yeah, probably

Yeah this draft takes a decent step down right after that point, and next years looks like it's going to be a lot worse right now

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

6 gets you Mudiay, Zingis, or WCS. No guarantee that you get a prospect like that with a non top 3 pick next year, so why mess around just to pick up OKC's garbage pick next year.

More importantly, why would Philly do it if it was a good deal for the other team

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
he looks like he might be trying to swallow his tongue in that picture

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wolves reportedly gave Towns a guarantee: http://zagsblog.com/articles/minnesota-will-take-karl-anthony-towns-with-no-1-pick-source/

I'm seeing various people chime in on Twitter that Zagoria is a pretty trustworthy source.

However I will still prepare myself for this: http://streamable.com/rf3i (warning kinda loud)

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

IcePhoenix posted:

Wolves reportedly gave Towns a guarantee: http://zagsblog.com/articles/minnesota-will-take-karl-anthony-towns-with-no-1-pick-source/

I'm seeing various people chime in on Twitter that Zagoria is a pretty trustworthy source.

However I will still prepare myself for this: http://streamable.com/rf3i (warning kinda loud)

holy poo poo where did you find that

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

And, while I read in some youtube comments on a D'Angelo Russell highlight vid the following:

quote:

Yeah this kid and Marc gasol will fill LA's pg and center holes... Kobe comes off the books next yr go out and get durant.
Russell, clarkson, durant, randle, Marc gasol. Moving forward

...it turns out instead that the Lakers are pretty much definitely gonna take Okafor:
https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/613033303403159552

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Just go and get Durant. Just go get him.

Towns is really the right pick through and through. He's probably the best player, he's a good fit (If his range is alright off the bat you can play him along with Pek), and he's saying the right things about playing here.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

And, while I read in some youtube comments on a D'Angelo Russell highlight vid the following:

...it turns out instead that the Lakers are pretty much definitely gonna take Okafor:

quote:

Told 70-30 they'd take him on Friday. Up to 80-20 today.

I see we've entered the draft coverage end game

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

Lmao

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It is so Laker Fan to try and belittle the idea of Okafor and want the Lakers to take Russell. That would be just more stupidity to tack on to the last five years of stupidity.

edit:

quote:

416Basketball ‏@416Basketball 56m56 minutes ago Toronto, Ontario

@chadfordinsider Why not trade the #2 pick and Kobe for Melo? Kobe would certainly waive his no-trade clause to go to the Knicks. #NbaDraft

Needed a really good laugh this morning.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Lockback posted:

Is this actual advice? This is a team that when healthy made the finals two years ago. His running-mate on OKC raised his game to MVP level last year. They very nearly had back-to-back MVPs on two different players. Why on Earth would he leave for LA?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LA > Oklahoma City. I know that stings but you should be realistic about it. I've spent a great deal of time in both cities and asking why would he go to LA is myopic.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I cannot stress enough how funny it is to talk to Laker fans about free agents.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I get that every big market team thinks they have a shot at kd but why would Marc Gasol go back to the team that traded him for his brother?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Metapod posted:

I get that every big market team thinks they have a shot at kd but why would Marc Gasol go back to the team that traded him for his brother?

To prove them all wrong about him, of course.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

I cannot stress enough how funny it is to talk to Laker fans about free agents.

They end up being right often enough, though I guess you can always hold out hope the last few years have just been the start of a long Knicksian descent

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

kiimo posted:

LA > Oklahoma City. I know that stings but you should be realistic about it. I've spent a great deal of time in both cities and asking why would he go to LA is myopic.

Ask New York how this logic shakes out.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Is this actual advice? This is a team that when healthy made the finals two years ago. His running-mate on OKC raised his game to MVP level last year. They very nearly had back-to-back MVPs on two different players. Why on Earth would he leave for LA?

:hfive:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Lamarcus Aldridge and Greg Monroe are both unrestricted free agents, excellent players, and might actually want off their teams. Target THOSE guys.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

IcePhoenix posted:

Zagoria is the person who the "Towns has private workout with Timberwolves" story that ended up just being Flip going to a public pick up game that Towns was having anyway in Los Angeles. And he's been spamming allhis reports on this all over Lakers blogs to troll (like just posting the story would be one thing, but he always comments on his own articles "haha, Lakers fans, not getting Towns" type poo poo) so I'm a little suspect.

All the same I have seen enough people back off "Timberwolves picking Okafor" that I think that Towns is probably going 1.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 22, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

Towns is really the right pick through and through. He's probably the best player, he's a good fit (If his range is alright off the bat you can play him along with Pek), and he's saying the right things about playing here.

I've legit seen people arguing about whether the Lakers should sign Gasol or DeAndre Jordan based on who would be better next to Durrant. Words fail me sometimes when I think about how dumb other forums are

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I love the draft

quote:

That’s why one of the topics of discussion at the Knicks meeting was bucking conventional wisdom, passing on guards D’Angelo Russell and/or Emmanuel Mudiay and taking Kaminsky — whose versatility makes him a natural fit in the triangle offense — with the fourth overall pick, two league sources told Sporting News. If they do pass on the two guards expected to be on the board, the Knicks are also considering Willie Cauley-Stein and Justise WInslow with the No. 4 pick, though Cauley-Stein appears to be slipping.

quote:

“He’s a coach’s dream, he’s a dessert,” NBA scouting director Ryan Blake said.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For what it's worth Marc Gasol does actually usually name LA as one of the places he's going to consider in the offseason. It of course could be negotiation tactics but it's out there.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Rick posted:

For what it's worth Marc Gasol does actually usually name LA as one of the places he's going to consider in the offseason. It of course could be negotiation tactics but it's out there.

Players want to prove their detractors wrong. Which is why Durant will sign with Portland to prove Paul Allen wrong.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

I hope LA turns into the player equivalent of "team wants to move to Seattle"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Top Hats Monthly posted:

holy poo poo where did you find that

reddit

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Cauley-Steins-Foot-Giving-Lottery-Teams-Pause-5123

quote:

Five separate NBA teams we spoke with all indicated varying degrees of concern after consulting with their team doctors this week, with some saying it may cost the Kentucky big man a few spots on draft night. “There is some maintenance that needs to be done there, as it's not completely clear whether the injury healed in a proper way. The pin that was inserted is supposed to be sitting at a 90 degree angle, but instead it's at 45 degrees. That, plus some question marks about his background that came up could cause him to drop a few slots.”

WCS starts his slide!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Is it true that foreign players are more likely to deliberately whack someone in the nuts mid-game or is that my personal xenophobic prejudice ? The 2012 Olympics were an important event in my sports-psychological makeup.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 6h6 hours ago
Sacramento has been clear in trade talks: Kings more than willing to move back into the teens if a team includes a proven player in a deal.

Oh man is this going to be like when we traded back to pick up John Salmons?!

remember
Nov 23, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Is it true that foreign players are more likely to deliberately whack someone in the nuts mid-game or is that my personal xenophobic prejudice ? The 2012 Olympics were an important event in my sports-psychological makeup.

Counterpoint CP3 and Stockton.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

WhyteRyce posted:

I hope LA turns into the player equivalent of "team wants to move to Seattle"

Its already that for agents

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Perry Jones The Third is proven in the sense that he's proven to be totally worthless and has no basketball skills. get on the phone sam.

Alternatively, Steve Novak is extremely proven. The world has little doubt about his skillset.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Willie has some questionable background stuff, growing up in the mean streets of Olathe, KS.

For reference, this is what Olathe looks like.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

EvanTH posted:

I'd like to imagine that's just how players play defense in EuroLeague.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Terry Glenn posted:

Perry Jones The Third is proven in the sense that he's proven to be totally worthless and has no basketball skills. get on the phone sam.

Alternatively, Steve Novak is extremely proven. The world has little doubt about his skillset.

Novak and pj3 for the #6 pick who says no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

kiimo posted:

Willie has some questionable background stuff, growing up in the mean streets of Olathe, KS.

For reference, this is what Olathe looks like.

Bet he pissed in that river

• Locked thread