Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Nvidia gameworks is a masterpiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Constantly having to worry about downloading and installing new drivers is what led me to buy a console about ten years ago. I'd hope that whole process is more streamlined now than it was then.

The drivers auto download for you and you press OK, Install. It can be a daunting task for us PC owners but it's certainly recommended.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Constantly having to worry about downloading and installing new drivers is what led me to buy a console about ten years ago. I'd hope that whole process is more streamlined now than it was then.

PC gaming is 100% retard friendly in 2015.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

net cafe scandal posted:

Perhaps it does for you, but not for most.

Great. I can only speak about my own experiences though. But thank for pointing that out!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Norns posted:

Update your drivers. A lot of people still don't seem to understand how important this is when new games launch.
Yeah, no, fresh drivers have a history of fuckin up other games in other departments. Also, no driver is gonna fix the memory leak

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

This game really does make me think of the Nolan trilogy, only with things really ramped up to even sillier heights. Which means that Batman is a flat out one man army who just wreaks total destruction around Gotham and absolutely definitely does kill large swathes of people but neither he nor anyone else really acknowledges it. Its loving glorious.

The storyline is far more compelling than in the previous games too, but the dialogue is flat out awful for just about everyone barring the thugs. Its disappointing really, because Rocksteady are so good at using the game to hit some brilliant visual storytelling when they need to.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It amazes me that a developer who could make such a great core game could not see that their Batmobile stuff is total poo poo and THEN has the insanity to create platformy racing bullshit that requires pinpoint precision with a goddamn bar of soap with a rocket strapped to the back.

It's crazy.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Norns posted:

Great. I can only speak about my own experiences though. But thank for pointing that out!

Ooh you're a catty lil bitch aren't you.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Honest Thief posted:

Yeah, no, fresh drivers have a history of fuckin up other games in other departments. Also, no driver is gonna fix the memory leak

WHQL drivers are actually insanely good in 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Honest Thief posted:

You heard it here folks. Don't update drivers.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

I can't fathom this. It's, like, the spergiest thing in the world.

You are at the intersection of comic book fans and video game fans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feenix posted:

It amazes me that a developer who could make such a great core game could not see that their Batmobile stuff is total poo poo and THEN has the insanity to create platformy racing bullshit that requires pinpoint precision with a goddamn bar of soap with a rocket strapped to the back.

It's crazy.

I can't think of a single pinpoint-precision thing I've encountered so far. The only thing close are the ramp-jumps and those almost entirely just let you aim, hit afterburner, land exactly where you need.

If you're trying to beat someone's high score in a racing challenge maybe but "I need to be dead-on to beat a leaderboard score" isn't really new.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Or, just update to the ones that have been proven to work after people try them. The witcher 3 drivers for example, were anything but game ready

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

PC gaming is 100% retard friendly in 2015.

It's not though, every game I buy I end up having to gently caress around with stupid settings like which MXAA o FXAA or SMAA or SSAO or HDAO or HBAO+ and it always ends up being a loving disaster of trial and error with every game that i hate doing. is it worth it? i dont even know what is good anymore everything sucks

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

ethanol posted:

It's not though, every game I buy I end up having to gently caress around with stupid settings like which MXAA o FXAA or SMAA or SSAO or HDAO or HBAO+ and it always ends up being a loving disaster of trial and error with every game that i hate doing. is it worth it? i dont even know what is good anymore everything sucks

hot tip: anything nvidia branded in the settings is going to murder your performance.

Honest Thief posted:

Or, just update to the ones that have been proven to work after people try them. The witcher 3 drivers for example, were anything but game ready

What was wrong with the witcher 3 drivers, other than the fact that the witcher 3 is a game that runs poorly regardless.

Hace fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 24, 2015

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

I can't think of a single pinpoint-precision thing I've encountered so far. The only thing close are the ramp-jumps and those almost entirely just let you aim, hit afterburner, land exactly where you need.

I think that's probably some people's problem. The game already compensates and corrects a lot and it's easy to end up 'fighting' it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Playing further. Why not just do Under the Red Hood? Why bother with the Arkham Knight bullshit? We all knew who it was, but they swore up and down this was something we'd never seen before. Was it because it would be predictable? The fun in Under the Red Hood's mystery is literally decades old. Still would've been a fun game even if we know who's under the mask. Pretending it wasn't Jason was a waste of time.

So we really have to 100% all the Riddler stuff to get the real ending? I think I wanna do all that stuff and get the ending all in one go. Is that possible?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

ethanol posted:

I'll tell you what's good: kicking back, putting your legs up on your desk, turning on your mouse and keyboard, and enjoying a nice bowl of wet food while you play video games for free at 300fps surround sound.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ImpAtom posted:

If you're trying to beat someone's high score in a racing challenge maybe but "I need to be dead-on to beat a leaderboard score" isn't really new.

I'm trying to earn the +1 skill point on the challenge for the first Riddler Race. Beat it in 42 seconds. After about 30 attempts I got this pile of icy frozen turd to clock a 44 second run. There is no defense for the batmobile. At all.

This isn't really an "oh god they made it too hard!" whine. It's a "What were they smoking to think this was a good idea at all?" whine.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

I'll tell you what's good: kicking back, putting your legs up on your desk, turning on your mouse and keyboard, and enjoying a nice bowl of wet food while you play video games for free at 300fps surround sound.

this but on xbox with my second screen viewing my steam library with over one hundred grayed out uninstalled games at 300 fps

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

SonicRulez posted:

So we really have to 100% all the Riddler stuff to get the real ending? I think I wanna do all that stuff and get the ending all in one go. Is that possible?

I don't know the answer to this, but if you're a completionist I'm pretty sure at least one achievement/trophy/steamchievo is specifically for new game plus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feenix posted:

I'm trying to earn the +1 skill point on the challenge for the first Riddler Race. Beat it in 42 seconds. After about 30 attempts I got this pile of icy frozen turd to clock a 44 second run. There is no defense for the batmobile. At all.

Use the tank mode to turn. Beyond that I'm not sure what else you'd be having trouble with, that's a really straighforward one. You can basically hold the afterburner button down and get right through to the end. In the tunnel where you have to go upside-down you can trigger the riddler platformers to extend the length before you have to go upside-down which makes it really easy to never lay off the afterburners.

Feenix posted:

This isn't really an "oh god they made it too hard!" whine. It's a "What were they smoking to think this was a good idea at all?" whine.

I really don't understand what you mean. Like that is literally a level designed where the only time you have to lay off the afterburner is during the one turn right before the end after the drive across platformers. It doesn't require precision at all, it's almost guided.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

how are you supposed to eat while using a mouse and keyboard. troll.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gorn Myson posted:

but the dialogue is flat out awful for just about everyone barring the thugs.

Two guns, bitch!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ImpAtom posted:

Use the tank mode to turn. Beyond that I'm not sure what else you'd be having trouble with, that's a really straighforward one. You can basically hold the afterburner button down and get right through to the end. In the tunnel where you have to go upside-down you can trigger the riddler platformers to extend the length before you have to go upside-down which makes it really easy to never lay off the afterburners.

I'm fully understanding what I need to do. I can even get close to the target time. My point is it's loving terrible. Also tank controls slow you down.

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't understand what you mean. Like that is literally a level designed where the only time you have to lay off the afterburner is during the one turn right before the end after the drive across platformers. It doesn't require precision at all, it's almost guided.

The batmobile is awful. They made platforming racing modes for the batmobile. People at Rocksteady are clearly idiots. That is my point.

Also you say that level is designed where you can turbo the whole time but there are multiple occasions where little dips and bumps and turns make the batmobile spin out like a loving tard.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The defense is that it's great and for once in your life you truly must get good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feenix posted:

I'm fully understanding what I need to do. I can even get close to the target time. My point is it's loving terrible. Also tank controls slow you down.

I'm confused then. You're saying it isn't hard but then you're saying you can't do it and that it's loving terrible because you can't do it.

And yes, they slow you down. Are you trying to never break? Even in racing games you have to slow down to make tight turns.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Forget I said anything. Forget I was ever here. I'm making a very basic point and you're either not getting it or being intentionally dense about it.

It's bad game design. It's unfun. My original point was that Rocksteady, makers of a fine quality game, somehow didn't realize that this is just lovely. No need for a response. No need for anyone to solve anything for me. There is no fix. The batmobile is just a big, puss filled blemish on a great game. :)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

how are you supposed to eat while using a mouse and keyboard. troll.

Ever heard of gravity, rear end in a top hat?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feenix posted:

It's bad game design. It's unfun. My original point was that Rocksteady, makers of a fine quality game, somehow didn't realize that this is just lovely. No need for a response. No need for anyone to solve anything for me. There is no fix. The batmobile is just a big, puss filled blemish on a great game. :)

You aren't actually explaining how it is lovely. You're just saying "it's bad!" When I tried to tell you what to do you just went "it isn't hard, it's just bad" and then said you couldn't do it. :psyduck:

I have no problem with you disliking something but you're basically going "It's bad and awful and terrible because it is" which... I mean, it's fine if you feel that way but based off the leaderboards and my own experience plenty of other people can do that challenge without finding it cripplingly impossible.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Feenix posted:

Forget I said anything. Forget I was ever here. I'm making a very basic point and you're either not getting it or being intentionally dense about it.

The puss filled blemish is you haha.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Gorn Myson posted:

...the dialogue is flat out awful for just about everyone barring the thugs.

Is there something contractual about making Batman the most absolute boring human being on the planet? Every game is like this, but for some reason I find myself surprised they yet again went the same route for a fourth Batman game.

I've been playing a lot of Witcher 3 and the protagonist is essentially an asperger mutant but even Geralt has personality that is allowed to shine through which makes it all the more enjoyable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Is there something contractual about making Batman the most absolute boring human being on the planet? Every game is like this, but for some reason I find myself surprised they yet again went the same route for a fourth Batman game.

Batman is supposed to be a Competent Humorless Badass. This leads to him being... well, humorless and unflinching. He gets a few amusing jokes but most of the time he is Serious Angry Mans

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ImpAtom posted:

You aren't actually explaining how it is lovely. You're just saying "it's bad!" When I tried to tell you what to do you just went "it isn't hard, it's just bad" and then said you couldn't do it. :psyduck:

I have no problem with you disliking something but you're basically going "It's bad and awful and terrible because it is" which... I mean, it's fine if you feel that way but based off the leaderboards and my own experience plenty of other people can do that challenge without finding it cripplingly impossible.

It's not cripplingly impossible. I can get 42.xx just over the skill point time.

I'm not being sarcastic here, totally genuine when I say I don't think I need to explain why the batmobile is bad when just about everyone in the world paying attention to reviews or playing this game should know why the batmobile is bad. It controls like rear end. It's set up dumbly. It bounces and slides and plays terribly. So for them to go and make it have platformy races just smacks of bad game design. Just my opinion. My original point was just me going "Holy poo poo, how could folks who get it so right get it so wrong?"

You may disagree. That's fine. I think the general consensus is that the batmobile is pretty lackluster at best.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm like an hour into Joker appearing and Batman still hasn't reacted to his presence at all lol. He's just silently tolerating this bullshit with a grimace. It's awesome. I don't think Kevin Conroy is all that great or anything though.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

PostNouveau posted:

I can't fathom this. It's, like, the spergiest thing in the world.

Yeah having textures vanish, no ambient occlusion, and buying what is a neutered game because 12 people were assigned to port it for the 6 weeks from start to finish before launch, is now spergy.

Get off it.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 24, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

net cafe scandal posted:

I don't think Kevin Conroy is all that great or anything though.

He is starting to sound old. Like, unfitting to the character model.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Do we have a goon arkham group on steam. I want to have bat dick measuring contests.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Feenix posted:

You're just poo poo at driving the batmobile then. I got 39 seconds on like my 4th try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kin posted:

You're just poo poo at driving the batmobile then. I got 39 seconds on like my 4th try.

Not really the point. But hey I'm super glad for you. :)

• Locked thread