Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
that fight against the Goliath was really cool, the game needs more double Beatdown-fests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Aquasnake posted:

What weapons wheel? I've been playing for 20 hours and have not seen it yet. Part of a tiddler puzzle I'm guessing?

The new gadget selection wheel, mapped to d-pad down.

Mapping menus/detective vision to the d-pad is loving me up so badly. 75% through the sidequests and I still haven't adjusted to it.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Genetic Toaster posted:

The new gadget selection wheel, mapped to d-pad down.

Mapping menus/detective vision to the d-pad is loving me up so badly. 75% through the sidequests and I still haven't adjusted to it.

Oh, console thing. Speaking of gadgets. Did they get rid of or move nightwing and Robin batarangs or something? Made charging enemies a real pain. 1 1 seemed to be changed to their respective claws.

Edit: Also, phone posting typos are the best. Fear the puzzles of the tiddler.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Hey guys, wanna see something neat?

Hit the scroll-lock key on your PC while in-game. Watch what happens!

(It switches between fullscreen and windowed mode because someone's an idiot.)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bump.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

I want a version of this game where Frank Quitely had complete control over the art direction.

This would be amazing because it could guarantee a DLC wherein you must fight/team up with We3.

Some of the fights in this are brutal due to the sheer variety of mooks you face in very claustrophobic areas. Never imagined a fight against 2 shield dudes, 2 stun baton guys, a charger, a knifer, and two gun toters would whip my rear end. On one hand it's great that you now have a worth match most of the time for your expanded arsenal, on the other hand it can turn into a tedious "jumping over everyone" game for a while since many encounters are in very tight spots

that tank thing early on where you have to destroy like 40 loving drone tanks was the most boring thing ever.there's basically zero variety in tank fights other than strafe, aim to shoot, sometimes you use the machinegun to shoot rockets.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Later you fight 60! So you have that to look forward to.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dogen posted:

Later you fight 60! So you have that to look forward to.

god why

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Because they made a Batmobile and you're gonna loving use it and like it, or no dessert tonight!

Hope you're lookin forward to Batmobile boss battles! Cause there's a bunch of em!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

its not that bad once the weapons are upgraded all to hell

well apart from those loving missiles gently caress those things its like they put the machinegun in the game and was like "we have to justify this stupid thing being in here" so they added those loving missiles

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The machine guns can apparently score critical hits but I can't imagine why you'd bother because the tank cannon destroys things much faster

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I just got to the musical segment. This is amazing.

Also they start laying it on thick with Jason before the reveal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

The machine guns can apparently score critical hits but I can't imagine why you'd bother because the tank cannon destroys things much faster

just hold down the gun button the whole time you're fighting. no reason not to other than the noise.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah it's just a boring slog with the fully upgraded batmobile. Also you get some outside help (and to some extent in an earlier batmobile drone swarm). The bomb disarming fights are tolerable because they are bite size.

I do like the anti big tank (cobra?) and pursuit based batmobile things.

For anyone having trouble with the big tanks, you can hack them, and they are pretty effective against one another. It takes a minute to do so you have to get in behind them and it takes two energy bars but it's worth it

Finally, I am mad that you can't do anything with the batwing. It seems like once you take out the air defense you should get to use it in tank battles to do air strikes or something at the very least.

ImpAtom posted:

If you didn't have the damage and reload upgrades for the cannon, I guess?

Dogen fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 26, 2015

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

DaveKap posted:

Hey guys, wanna see something neat?

Hit the scroll-lock key on your PC while in-game. Watch what happens!

(It switches between fullscreen and windowed mode because someone's an idiot.)

For a brief moment you got my hopes up because I thought that might fix my problem. But it doesn't.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

I just got to the musical segment. This is amazing.

Joker goes full on GLaDOS making fun of Bruce's dead parents.

Funky Valentine posted:

Also they start laying it on thick with Jason before the reveal.

They really weren't even trying to be the least bit subtle.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Because they made a Batmobile and you're gonna loving use it and like it, or no dessert tonight!

Hope you're lookin forward to Batmobile boss battles! Cause there's a bunch of em!

I hope by "boss battles" you mean car chases because those are great. anything with the strafing tank robot is boring; it doesn't matter how long I play it just constantly blows my mind how such an uninteresting thing is so focal. At least I picked the "hack tank" upgrade to give it SOME kind of new twist so there's that. it's too bad you can't attach other drone tanks to yourself and make a batman mech.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

ImpAtom posted:

I'd love to know what a day at the office is like for the people who ported this. It must be depressing as poo poo.

Here's a story I shamelessly stole from Reddit.

Bob swiped his wallet by the security scanner and opened the office door. He was feeling good and ready to attack the day. Striding into the big room of cubicles, he could hear his busy workers pecking at their keyboards. It was music to his ears.

"Good morning, Jim," he said as he pulled his coffee cup from the break room cupboard. "Got that dance animation in yet? I really want to see our big hero dance!"

"Hey," Jim answered in a very empty voice, his eyes staring blankly into the refrigerator. "Uh, it's getting there."

"Glad to hear it," Bob said in an upbeat tone.

He poured some coffee and watched Jim exit the room. Bob couldn't help but admire Jim's dedication to the job. Were it not for such hard workers, the new Batman game would be a complete failure.

With a full coffee cup in hand, Bob headed to his office. He turned on all the lights over all of the cubicles so he could see the smiling, radiant faces of his team. Many of them had worked through the night and they deserved a well-lit office. Once at his desk, he got comfy in his chair and sipped some coffee. He was a noisy sipper, making a slurp sound that irritated everyone else, especially those sitting outside his office door.

"Let's see how these bugs are coming along," he said, ready to meet the final deadline that was just 12 hours away. As he scrolled through the refreshed list of open issues, he noted the header. 201 Bugs Found.

He was a bit concerned as he'd expected to be well below 100. No matter though. He could pare back the list. After all, the product was already far more than expectations demanded.

"Strafing to the right does not always work," he said as he began to read the bug summaries. "We can do that later. Enemy hit boxes are too small. Later. Actors fall through world without warning. Later. Actually, that's not a big deal. We'll just mark that as fixed. Batmobile has pickup truck model. Later. WTF wrong batman voice actor audio! He sounds like Seinfeld. Later."

One bug in particular came to mind. He found it in the list. "Replace skybox with hi-res image," He opened the bug to add the comment, "Just find something on Getty Images and we'll go with that."

He really needed to get below 100, so he randomly chose some bugs and marked them to be fixed later. One was something about a crash, another referred to a memory leak, and there was something about random deaths. He was pretty sure players wouldn't notice things like that. Following several minutes of clicking which he turned into a mini game to make patterns in the column of check boxes, he'd met his goal. 97 Bugs Found

He felt pretty good about the rapid progress. Stepping outside his office door, he cleared his throat. "Thanks for your hard work everyone. That big deadline is coming up, so keep at it! Great job!" He smiled with pride as he heard some murmurs of thanks. "I've got a meeting, so I'll be out for a bit. We'll catch up as soon as I'm back."

With that, he strolled back to his convertible and called his buddy. "We still doing 18 holes this morning? Great. I'll see you shortly."

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Infinitum posted:

God, the tank boss was the loving worst. It took me seriously twenty tries before I lucked out and found a route around the island that didn't lead to me bumping into a thing and getting hit by instant-death lasers.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They really weren't even trying to be the least bit subtle.

What pisses me off is that they marketed the game under the pretense that the Arkham Knight is a brand new character that Rocksteady invented specifically for the game.

It was honestly a huge draw card for me to the game, and genuinely had me curious about who it could possibly be.

But nope, turns out it's just Jason loving Todd.

From the get go you pretty much know its him as well with how hamfisted the dialogue is. "Avoid the bat symbol. Little trick of his. Instead shoot him in these super specific locations" Ya know.. Locations only someone with intimate knowledge of the batsuit would know.

It's not even a compelling spin on the Under The Red Hood storyline.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

"Avoid the bat symbol. Little trick of his. Instead shoot him in these super specific locations" Ya know.. Locations only someone with intimate knowledge of the batsuit would know.
Or, you know, the super-exposed lower half of his face.

Stupid Jason.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

redbackground posted:

Or, you know, the super-exposed lower half of his face.

Stupid Jason.

That one scene where he's Sherlocking his way through the perfect spot to shoot Batman through his armor...completely ignoring his face...

I mean he might've not been aiming to kill him then? All the "you are going to die's" kinda got muddled with the "not yet I have this super elaborate cunning ruse's", to be honest.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How the gently caress are they expecting me to do hit and run tactics on a tank that is as maneuverable as the batmobile in tank mode and loving incredibly fast and able to home in on your position?
Go gently caress yourself Jason Todd aka the Arkham Knight

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Infinitum posted:

What pisses me off is that they marketed the game under the pretense that the Arkham Knight is a brand new character that Rocksteady invented specifically for the game.

It was honestly a huge draw card for me to the game, and genuinely had me curious about who it could possibly be.

But nope, turns out it's just Jason loving Todd.

From the get go you pretty much know its him as well with how hamfisted the dialogue is. "Avoid the bat symbol. Little trick of his. Instead shoot him in these super specific locations" Ya know.. Locations only someone with intimate knowledge of the batsuit would know.

It's not even a compelling spin on the Under The Red Hood storyline.
They also hyped him up as an unrestricted version of batman who doesn't care about killing people but he doesn't do anything batman related. They made it seem like he was protecting the city against everyone and batman in the trailers and interviews using the same tactics minus the restraint. But nope he's just a generic super villain commanding goons for scarecrow all game. For having a whole game named him they sure didn't do much with him or told the truth before the game came out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The dumbest thing is that Jason leads an army onto a city and releases a terrorist weapon. On what Scarecrow planned to hit the entire Eastern side of the US. Just because he's mad at Bat-dad about there being a Robin III. A Robin he doesn't interact with at all, by the way.

And there's no comeuppance for his terrorist actions whatsoever because he saves Bruce from Scarecrow. And then Bruce blows himself up anyway.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is it just me or are the requirements for some of these AR challenges bugged? I've been trying to do the one for Tower Defense (pick up 3 dudes off the ground to do a critical beat down), I've been beating up random dudes with critical beatdowns for a while now and it's still not unlocking for me. Unless they made it so those only counted during fights you get experience for in which case what the gently caress

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

This was discussed earlier, it's probably not that. The chipmunking effect was caused by a different kind of error based on how they set it up.

That reddit post that "debunked" the theory was absolutely full of poo poo because dumping demos does not cause the audio sample rate to freak out, ever. Everything matches the idea that they set Global Time Dilation in Unreal 4 to 50% speed, which cases sounds to play at normal speed, recording that at 30fps then playing it back at 60.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh man don't die after you destroy the cloudburst and fix the city.
Poor Alfred :smith:

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Oh man don't die after you destroy the cloudburst and fix the city.
Poor Alfred :smith:

They pretty obviously faked it.

e: added spoiler tags.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Sorry, but as someone who's never read a batman comic book in his life, who is Jason Todd?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Blind Rasputin posted:

Sorry, but as someone who's never read a batman comic book in his life, who is Jason Todd?

The second Robin, 'killed' by The Joker (depending on what canon you follow/prefer), who hired a woman to lure him away from Batman by posing as his birth mother. Also depending on the canons in which he survives, he becomes Red Robin, who's basically Huntress with a dick, or a varyingly-unhinged antihero/psychopath/sociopath like we kind of see here.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 26, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm only about 6 or 7 hours in, and I've already been completely blown away and had both a complete geek-out moment and a moment where I got legitimately angry that the game was so good. I'm 99% certain I know who the Arkham Knight will be, since there's really only one person who makes sense, but even if that turns out to be correct it leads into such good potential story fodder that I don't mind it at all. I'm even okay if there's no super secret guy behind Scarecrow, and I wasn't expecting that to be the case at all.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I played through the whole main story on PC, with no crashes and no real slowdown. I must have lucked out and have the same setup as the porting company or something :shrug: I did just buy a GTX 980, but it sounds like this isn't a raw GPU power issue, and other than that my machine isn't particularly beefy.

So the impression I got from the last few pages of the thread is that the Batmobile is pretty divisive then? Because I loving hated it, and the way they kept forcing it into every last gameplay element. I wanted more Arkham gameplay, instead I got a driving simulator. And did the combat see worse than the previous games for anyway else? A lot of times Batman would dive past a bunch of regular guys to jump face-first into a riot shield or electric prod guy, or punch into thin air and lose the combo. Still the combat and predator sections were still good, I just wish there were more of them. So much driving. Unless the side missions have a lot more of Batman on foot this is going to be my least favorite game in the series by far.

Sure looks pretty though.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I've almost gotten 100% on the story mode, this game is great on ps4 and it's been a treat playing it on my 51 inch tv with my gold headset. But I need more challenge maps or this will not have much replayability for me. 4 combat challenges is not nearly enough, and the gimmicks some of them have are lame. I did get a 230+ combo with azrael though, that was pretty satisfying.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Genetic Toaster posted:

They pretty obviously faked it.

e: added spoiler tags.

No, I mean the game over screens. Before beating the game. Alfred just says that he never intended for it to end this way or that hopefully you'll find peace in death.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There are still too many loving riddler things in this game. I was hoping they'd pull back after how many were in City, but nope. Still, at minimum, 150 or so more than there should be.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

TheJoker138 posted:

There are still too many loving riddler things in this game.

I'm really conflicted because on one hand using that clown's head like a speedbag is a pleasure of unrivaled quality in video games, but the game has ballooned in size, and the amount of trophies/riddles/etc has porportionately grown, to the point that I'm not even a little interested in finding it all

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

There are still too many loving riddler things in this game. I was hoping they'd pull back after how many were in City, but nope. Still, at minimum, 150 or so more than there should be.

You really think there should be all of 50 collectibles in the game?

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm really conflicted because on one hand using that clown's head like a speedbag is a pleasure of unrivaled quality in video games, but the game has ballooned in size, and the amount of trophies/riddles/etc has porportionately grown, to the point that I'm not even a little interested in finding it all

There are fewer Riddler Trophies in Knight than in City!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You really think there should be all of 50 collectibles in the game?

There's 250-ish, aren't there? I think somewhere between 50-100 is much more reasonable. Especially when most of them are just lovely puzzles that aren't any fun, and a bunch of others are loving photo hunts.

Honestly even 50-100 might be too many because they're all loving terrible. If they were good and fun to get maybe I wouldn't hate them so much.

• Locked thread