Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You won't see any benefit from 128GB in either of those applications. Maybe if you're running a crapload of virtual machines or crunching big databases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

KillHour posted:

You won't see any benefit from 128GB in either of those applications. Maybe if you're running a crapload of virtual machines or crunching big databases.

That's what I get for guessing. Thanks.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

KillHour posted:

That's why I just built a system with 64gb. But I do a lot of DB system virtualization and testing for DevOps and systems integration and deployment.

Won't make a difference for gaming or most stuff day-to-day

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Toast Museum posted:

If I'm not doing, I don't know, video encoding or protein folding, am I likely to see any benefit from 128GB of RAM over, say, 8GB?

Not really. I want tons of RAM is because I do a lot with Virtual Machines and also some amateur game development (tend to have a lot of tools open simultaneously). My current system has issues some times with 8GB RAM when I get working.

128GB of RAM is mass over kill for what I want to do. But if I have the option to get that much and it's not ridiculously expensive, I will do it.

It's been a long time since I have done any real video editing. I am not sure how much RAM video editors will use nowadays.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

It's been a long time since I have done any real video editing. I am not sure how much RAM video editors will use nowadays.

Completely depends on what your source is and what your target output is. I ingest 1080p24/i60 or 720p60 and output at 1080p24/p30 or 720p60 and I have no issues whatsoever with 16GB (and a GTX970/i5-4690k@4.4GHZ).

My friend, however, does a lot of 4K timelapses from some ungodly MP of photos and bemoans when he was "stuck" with 64GB (he has 128GB now) on a 6-core i7 -X flavor with dual Titans. It's all about the scale.

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 28, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yeah your average dude just re-encoding his animes is going to be CPU bottlenecked

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

What if I use chrome and want to have multiple tabs open? Will 128GB be enough?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WhyteRyce posted:

Maybe, what extensions do you use?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

WhyteRyce posted:

I think for that sort of extreme computing you might need to just go with a 512GB ramdisk, it might just barely be enough.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Like a previous poster, I find myself in a similar boat where I have money burning a hole in my pocket, and my CPU/RAM/motherboard are a Nehalem/Bloomfield i7 930 getup from 2010. I really want to wait until Skylake instead of plunking down the cash now, but either way I don't think I'm really CPU-limited on anything that I run, and aside from some messed up USB port behavior on my current system, things seem to work ok. I don't really game too much anymore, which is the only demanding application I use my system for; I switched to an SSD in 2011 (upgraded once more since then) and recently changed from a GeForce 460 to a 960... so my needs are basically covered.

Why do I still feel compelled to upgrade soon?

WhyteRyce posted:

But you can only get 128 GB if you can prove you're sufficiently hardcore. :downs: :getin:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SpelledBackwards posted:

But you can only get 128 GB if you can prove you're sufficiently hardcore. :downs: :getin:

This is amazing. "EIGHT OF A KIND"

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

I can't tell if this dude expects to be taken seriously or not. Help.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

SpelledBackwards posted:

I want to punch that guy in the face. Clearly this is a lot in a consumer system, but it aint no thang in servers.

http://www.crucial.com/csrusa/en/ct32g4lfq4213 :smugdog:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SpelledBackwards posted:

Like a previous poster, I find myself in a similar boat where I have money burning a hole in my pocket, and my CPU/RAM/motherboard are a Nehalem/Bloomfield i7 930 getup from 2010. I really want to wait until Skylake instead of plunking down the cash now, but either way I don't think I'm really CPU-limited on anything that I run, and aside from some messed up USB port behavior on my current system, things seem to work ok. I don't really game too much anymore, which is the only demanding application I use my system for; I switched to an SSD in 2011 (upgraded once more since then) and recently changed from a GeForce 460 to a 960... so my needs are basically covered.

Why do I still feel compelled to upgrade soon?

But will it run Crysis?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

UHD posted:

I can't tell if this dude expects to be taken seriously or not. Help.

Boy, autism really is hard to live with.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Panty Saluter posted:

Boy, autism really is hard to live with.

I dunno, he seems pretty happy in the video. Plus he can afford to play with so much ram.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you aren't using these, you ain't poo poo.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/technotes/tips1141.pdf

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

chrome expands until it has completely filled the container it's in, similar to a bad smell or sarin gas

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Intel is dropping the stock cooler from Skylake-S processors.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good. I hope whatever it is they do that necessitates this provides a solid performance bump over the current desktop CPUs, these small gains have been pissing me off quite a bit lately, and 95W is still below my 105W Q6600 so that's all cool.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Welmu posted:

Intel is dropping the stock cooler from Skylake-S processors.

It was a good bit of money for something >90% of the buying market never used.

I'm surprised it didn't happen years ago.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What does POR stand for in the image above?

Also I can't wait for someone to post on the internet about how his computer won't boot because he dropped the Skylake in without any heat sink at all (or perhaps at least with no thermal paste if the aftermarket heat sink didn't come with it pre-applied)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Also I can't wait for someone to post on the internet about how his computer won't boot because he dropped the Skylake in without any heat sink at all (or perhaps at least with no thermal paste if the aftermarket heat sink didn't come with it pre-applied)

Ehhh, I wouldn't be surprised if Intel figures out an easier mounting system for the fancy heatsink and I'm almost certain that the thing will come with some sort of thin thermal pad instead of paste.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Process of record. It means basically the non-R&D process. The standard process.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, I wouldn't be surprised if Intel figures out an easier mounting system for the fancy heatsink and I'm almost certain that the thing will come with some sort of thin thermal pad instead of paste.

I remember thinking I was loving something up when I was trying to lock my 2500K into my motherboard during my last build. I kept thinking "there's no loving way I'm supposed to be putting this much pressure on the locking bar," because I was trying to be extremely careful to not bend any pins beneath. But evidently I did it right because the chip's been purring like a kitten for over three years at 4.4Ghz.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Now that I think of it, I've never seen those two Intel-branded tower air cooler and AIO units before in any brick-and-mortar store, only online.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
When I last rebuilt my PC I found that the cooler for the CPU had come loose and was sort of dangling off to the side of the chip. It worked like this for months, possibly even years.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Heyo.
I noticed my i5 2500k temp got to about 80C max during gameplay the other day, I don't often actually monitor my temps but this seemed higher than usual for me. I realised it's probably to do with the weather being a lot higher in recent days.
Anyway, my CPU is now idling between 35-50C, cause for concern? Or is this alright during the summer?
I opened my BIOS to un-overclock it to the default and it said that both my CPU fans were running at about ~500rpm and highlighted them in red. This doesn't seem right, I disabled the fan monitor because it kept prompting me whenever I booted my PC. It seems like the fans are running as normal, am I just getting a bad reading or what?
I've ordered another can of condensed air to blow some of the dust out, but I'm not sure that's a massive issue right now.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It depends on ambient temperatures. If you live in Alaska I'd be worried, in Texas I'd also be worried but not because of the higher temperatures.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What's the best program for measuring system temps?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

slidebite posted:

What's the best program for measuring system temps?

HWinfo seems to be the best because it's got access to most of the sensors and doesn't seem to be wrong much. It's a little bloated but in the sensor section you can right click and add stuff to the system tray if you want to keep an eye on it. I like to watch my cpu cores max temp, cpu voltage, and video card gpu temp so I pin them to the system tray.
http://www.hwinfo.com/

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The only one little thing I don't like about HWinfo is that it spins up my hard drives for no reason. At idle they are the noisiest things in my computer.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
If you disable logging on the HDDs I think they should spin down normally.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Wulfolme posted:

When I last rebuilt my PC I found that the cooler for the CPU had come loose and was sort of dangling off to the side of the chip. It worked like this for months, possibly even years.

I somehow broke one of the fan clamps on my C2D when I first moved to San Diego. It operated like that for two years before my next upgrade and I didn't even notice :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rexxed posted:

HWinfo seems to be the best because it's got access to most of the sensors and doesn't seem to be wrong much. It's a little bloated but in the sensor section you can right click and add stuff to the system tray if you want to keep an eye on it. I like to watch my cpu cores max temp, cpu voltage, and video card gpu temp so I pin them to the system tray.
http://www.hwinfo.com/

Thanks, will check it out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Speaking of coolers, does anyone have (and want to sell) the Intel mounting hardware from a corsair a70? I know it's a long shot but mine got thrown out years ago and I have use for it now. I'd be happy to pay.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117388

This E3-1265Lv3 just popped up on Newegg this week. This brought my server project up by a nice $240, ordering cool efficient chips like this WITH a replacement policy :eyepop:

Kind of wish I hadn't jumped the gun on the 4790T, but oh well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can anyone confirm that the Haswell refresh processors and specifically the i7 4790k are capable of idling at vcores of 0.16v? I've been doing some fine tuning of an overclock with c-state/speedstep stuff and was surprised to notice it so low. It's been stable and everything but I want to make sure I'm looking at the correct label and not the wrong voltage.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Sample Skylake i7-6700K benchmarked. Averages 7% over Devil's Canyon.

In other news, IBM has reached 7nm with Silicon-Germanium and EUV lithography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I've always had a twin CPU cooler on my PC, I think this one

I'm not necessarily looking to change it, but typically I've seen most other coolers be much smaller and generally they only have one fan. Is there a real reason to have a twin fan cooler?