Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

This was a movie that came out last week and was pretty okay. It's a new pixar movie about the emotions of a 11 year old girl, literally. Here's a thread to talk about it if you want.

I'm wondering why no one's really mentioned how 60s the aesthetics of the mind world are? From the brightly colored round flowers to the way the emotions are dressed, it makes me think of the 60s. I wonder why they picked that for an 11 year old girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This movie looked incredibly dumb but everyone's been gushing over it, so maybe I'm just cynical after Cars 2?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I also noticed the Star Trek-esque captain's bridge. Pretty funny.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This movie looked incredibly dumb but everyone's been gushing over it, so maybe I'm just cynical after Cars 2?

If you don't sperg out waaaay beyond normal, it's a really funny and moving story with a backdrop about a young girl who is overwhelmed with her current situation. The core emotion characters make up a majority of the movie and they react to/indirectly control the girl from within her mind. Sometimes it seemed like the personifications weren't explicitly that particular emotion, but as they were characters it worked fine - some also got a little more development than others, who were clearly there to just check off a list.

I really enjoyed the setting and design of things. The movie was handled well enough to get me teary eyed a few times, too.

It didn't feel like a Cars 2 cash in type of thing at all.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 27, 2015

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I liked it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This movie would be a lot better with Jean-Luc Picard in it.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I was surprised at the depth of the movie. Sort of a minor spoiler: it showed depression isn't just a lot of sadness, it's actually a lack of both joy and sadness.

It was really fantastic. I liked it so much it got me to come to this subforum for the first time to see what goons thought of it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It was a good movie and very enjoyable.

The metaphor that the movie is based on doesn't hold up under a lot of scrutiny but as long as you're not really worried about the whys and hows of the emotions and the girl and their impacts on one another and just kind of roll with it you'll have a good time. I thought the climax was kind of poorly done, it feels like a first draft they never went back and rewrote to be more logical (or something added at the behest of focus testing groups maybe?). But it's a good movie even with that problem. Better than Brave I think, which I also enjoyed but found kind of boring. Not as good as Up or Wall-E but it's solid.

As someone currently struggling with depression, who's moved a lot of times in their life and dealt with a lot of frustrating unexpected life changes, I found a lot to empathize with in this movie. But I don't think you need to be suffering a mental illness to find the story easy to identify with. Everyone's kind of been through these sort of 'resets', moving and starting over and struggling with it. Some people say the movie's message is a little muddled, but I basically found it to be "embrace all of yourself, it's okay to cry, forcing yourself to feign happiness will just make things worse". Which is a pretty nice thing to make a movie about, particularly since kids don't see a lot of messages about how it's okay to be angry and sad and stuff. Mostly just vague 'be yourself!' things which thankfully this movie isn't about.

My 8 year old sister loves the characters, mostly Joy. I think Disgust probably was my favorite though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Splendid film. The film's emotional through-line is really well handled and I get the feeling that they first worked out what Riley's story was going to be, beginning to end, then came up with the Emotions' story based on that. It's very coherent on that level, since she's not allowing herself to be sad she can't really be herself.

Would probably have appreciated the animation more if I hadn't seen this at a drive-in very far back. I would kinda like to see this in 3-D just for the crazy abstract "shortcut" scene.

The voice cast was superb- none of it felt like stunt casting, even Lewis Black. (I mean it's sort of obvious but he does well.) Also Kyle freaking MacLachlan is the dad!

Also, while Pixar keeps up the tradition of really freaking sad moments, they may have managed their freakiest bit yet with the bisected dog.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought it was pretty good and am surprised it got made because the kids we saw it with were just totally confused the whole time. It wasn't as good as Tangled or Up or WALL-E.

e: that Lava short at the beginning, however, was absolute dogshit and maybe the worst thing I've ever seen in a theater

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I thought it was pretty good and am surprised it got made because the kids we saw it with were just totally confused the whole time. It wasn't as good as Tangled or Up or WALL-E.

e: that Lava short at the beginning, however, was absolute dogshit and maybe the worst thing I've ever seen in a theater

I liked this movie waaay better than Wall-E.

Absolutely agree with you on the Lava short. lovely thing. Utter shite.

I think Tangled was a more fun movie.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Whenever someone talks about how lava made them cry i literally wonder if we somehow watched different shorts

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Beekeeping and You posted:

I'm wondering why no one's really mentioned how 60s the aesthetics of the mind world are? From the brightly colored round flowers to the way the emotions are dressed, it makes me think of the 60s. I wonder why they picked that for an 11 year old girl.

The film is told from the point of view of the mother.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Lava was predictable but I still have the song in my head so at least a partial success.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Maxwell Lord posted:

Lava was predictable but I still have the song in my head so at least a partial success.

I still have the memory in my head of the time my brother punched me in the nuts, too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Finally actually saw the movie. It was hilarious, adorable, and great overall.

To the people complaining that there's no real arc for Riley: that's the point. The arc is Joy's. She treats Sadness like crap at first and comes to appreciate her over time.

(Which is good, because Sadness is loving adorable.)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LORD OF BUTT posted:

(Which is good, because Sadness is loving adorable.)

I thought it was funny she was overweight, like, where was the fridge full of ice cream and pizza in Riley's head, yo?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The fact that they didn't call attention to that or make it a thing at all was amazing.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
As someone who struggled with depression a lot in the past couple of years, I have to say this movie was right on the mark of how it works and particularly, how it gets started. This movie was wonderful-- definitely top tier Pixar for me. I thought this was also just one of their coolest movie ideas they've ever had.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Lewis Black was perfect casting in this.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I rewatched the movie, and I guess the stuff I read in the animation thread influenced me because I realized my initial judgment was indeed more cynical than the movie lends itself. At first I felt that their was a disconnect between the emotions and Riley as a character since I originally thought that Riley had absolutely no agency, but after people pointed some stuff out I finally got that they're actually one and the same.

Of note the part that really caught me this time around was when I truly understood the significance behind all the islands falling apart. They weren't just merely flashy action scenes, Riley was literally destroying her core values; those islands as they were before would never ever come back the same. It really brought home the idea of actual loss and though the final final moment is happy, the scenes before that where Riley creates her first truly bittersweet core memory really nailed it for me. The fact that the islands that replace the wrecked versions are noticeably different really drove home the point that this truly is a complete example of bittersweet: the Riley she was before is gone forever, but the catharsis from her regaining control will help her rebuild herself and ultimately become a much more faceted person overall.

Bing Bong and Lewis Black were still the best parts of the movie though

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I saw this because I'm a sucker for animated films and the animation itself was fantastic. Joy's just a fun character to watch zip about and you can tell the animators had a lot of fun with her.

That aside though boy was this movie dull. I thought the plot was sweet enough and it's not like I didn't get the movie or anything but... it just wasn't all that funny or entertaining. I can usually go see stuff like Tangled or Up or something and leave with a favorite part but nothing really stuck out. I really wish it did more with the other emotional teams as seeing the mothers crew interact and try to read Riley and her dad was fun but it wasn't really revisited till the ending.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw this because I'm a sucker for animated films and the animation itself was fantastic. Joy's just a fun character to watch zip about and you can tell the animators had a lot of fun with her.

That aside though boy was this movie dull. I thought the plot was sweet enough and it's not like I didn't get the movie or anything but... it just wasn't all that funny or entertaining. I can usually go see stuff like Tangled or Up or something and leave with a favorite part but nothing really stuck out. I really wish it did more with the other emotional teams as seeing the mothers crew interact and try to read Riley and her dad was fun but it wasn't really revisited till the ending.

I kinda thought it was cool it wasn't an action film. Sure, Joy and Sadness met up with Bingo and got lost in the memory pits, but it felt like it was a lot more introspective than adventurous. Joy didn't really want to explore the world, she wanted to get back to what she knew before.

Well, it wasn't cooler than Mind-iana Joy-nes and the Temple of Thought, but I shifted my expectations and thought it worked quite well.

And I figured that the adults' mind teams were a lot more comfortable with themselves, and anything more we'd have seen of them would have been simplified by focusing on the 'bigjobs' version of them, like they did. otherwise there'd've had to be more gags from them, and we got that during the dinner scene.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I was surprised at the depth of the movie. Sort of a minor spoiler: it showed depression isn't just a lot of sadness, it's actually a lack of both joy and sadness.

weirdojace posted:

As someone who struggled with depression a lot in the past couple of years, I have to say this movie was right on the mark of how it works and particularly, how it gets started. This movie was wonderful-- definitely top tier Pixar for me. I thought this was also just one of their coolest movie ideas they've ever had.
What does it say about depression that it relies on the adventures of yellow and blue blobs of things in your head to fix you? I don't think the film is meant to say anything about mental illness; if it is, then it's not doing a great job at that.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I agree that the vast majority of the movie has nothing to do with depression/mental illness, but I think it has kind of a 'cameo' appearance when Riley's on the bus. The control panel starts to gray over and the emotions can't do anything anymore. You could interpret all the movie's build up to maybe be saying 'and this is how people can start to fall into depression'. I think the greater point is about processing your emotions, dealing with emotional complexity as you get older, and the importance of allowing yourself to be sad and grieve. The latter lets you process change so that you can get the support you need and continue to move forward without being hung up on the past.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think the movie's addressing depression as a temporary state brought on by trauma, not as a lifelong clinical condition. As someone with the latter, I thought this was totally fair.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I think my inner Disgust would look more like Booger from Revenge of the Nerds but the one in this movie was instead very cute.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Not all depression is chronic, yeah.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I like how they sneak in under the radar that Riley is bisexual.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Steve Yun posted:

How do you figure?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

Are you talking about this?

quote:

All of Riley’s mom’s emotions are female. All her father’s are male. All the teacher’s are female. The ending sequence went by so fast that I didn’t note the genders of the other characters (except the bus driver’s, who were definitely all male.)

But Riley’s are three female, two male. Does that indicate something about her future sexual personality?

Because otherwise I don't know where you got that from.

I got a chuckle out of the Imaginary Boyfriend being from Canada.

Also Amy Poehler is the reason I saw this movie at all and she did not disappoint, I would watch a direct to video sequel that just starred Joy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Are you talking about this?

Because otherwise I don't know where you got that from.

I always figured that the different sexes in her head was because she was internalizing her mother and father and other people close to her. Once she matured her emotion personifications would become whatever most worked for her.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Emotions are sexless. I think that they were gendered primarily for the sake of characterization shorthand and variety, as at no point does their gender have a bearing on anything.

The glimpses we saw into other headquarters showed emotions that were dominated by the mannerisms of whomever they were driving - I think as a means to distinguish e.g. Mom's Joy from Riley's Joy, and possibly also to suggest that they were more in concert than the emotions of a child. It also establishes that the emotions are still essentially who they are and perform the same functions irrespective of gender. At most it could be interpreted as more mature people tending to have a more firmly established notion of their own gender.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 28, 2015

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Copied from the Animation thread:

Lucky Jim posted:

Pete Docter talks about the genders of the emotions in this interview. Spoiler: there's no significance to two of Riley's being male.

Pete Doctor posted:

I wanted the emotions in Riley to be as wide and varied as possible so as to create the most amount of contrast and entertainment. They’re different sizes, different colours, and we felt having both male and female casting would be really fun. When it came to mum and dad, that got confusing. There’s a scene over dinner where we go inside of mum and dad’s head and if you mixed that up with male and female characters, you end up getting confused where you are. So we gave all of the dad’s emotions a moustache just like he had and we have all of the mum’s emotions glasses and a wig like she had.

Link: http://www.thefilmpie.com/index.php/blog-2/3532-interview-going-inside-out-with-director-pete-docter

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
[/quote]

Nope. Death of the author.

DEATH OF THE AUUUUTHOOR!!!!!1!!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bongo Bill posted:

Emotions are sexless. I think that they were gendered primarily for the sake of characterization shorthand and variety, as at no point does their gender have a bearing on anything.
Emotions may be sexless in real life, but the emotions are anthropomorphized in this movie and part of that anthropomorphization is that they are sexed in this movie. The movie clearly categorizes the mom's emotions as female, the dad's as male, and every single other character in the movie also has emotions that match their gender. Riley is the only one with both male and female voices in her head. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

It doesn't figure into the plot in any way, but movies are about more than just plot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Emotions may be sexless in real life, but the emotions are anthropomorphized in this movie and part of that anthropomorphization is that they are sexed in this movie. The movie clearly categorizes the mom's emotions as female, the dad's as male, and every single other character in the movie also has emotions that match their gender. Riley is the only one with both male and female voices in her head. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

It doesn't figure into the plot in any way, but movies are about more than just plot.

Mom's emotions were very clearly post-op homosexual male-to-female characters. I mean, why else the comment about Brazil and the Brazilian pilot?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Let's talk more about the sexual proclivities of an 11-year old girl

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love some good old death of the author subtextual analysis as much as anyone but I think "Riley is bisexual" is reeeeeeeally reaching and also not even worth discussing because it has no bearing on the themes of the film at all. :shrug:

Hakkesshu posted:

Let's talk more about the sexual proclivities of an 11-year old girl

Exactly. It's kind of creepy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey, that's for the sequel. The movie conveniently dances around it by saying she hasn't hit puberty yet.

And it's a disservice to reduce these sorts of issues into just being about sexual proclivity, there are a lot of gender identity issues and social anxiety around it.

This movie does a pretty good job of saying it's okay to feel some emotional turmoil as a preteen. A lot of that is gender identity, and I think it's a nice thought that the film is reaching out to a group of kids who might be feeling extra turmoil because of not fitting into a heteronormative culture.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It could be about what I thought this movie was gonna be: the emotions escape from her head and have to find their way back (Inside Out, get it)

• Locked thread