Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I don't think I'd' ever play another battlefield game if it were real.

But they'd gently caress it up. They'd have to..right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It's dependent on who gets tasked with developing it and even then there's nothing to say that lots of bad features wouldn't creep in to it. Just because it's 2142+1 doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be good, especially with that possibility that no one who developed 2142 would be working on this one, if it's even real.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

So someone on the internet claims to have seen a battlefield 2143 trailer and snuck some photos of it

http://imgur.com/a/6IXtK

Could easily just be bs, tho

If this is true... 2142 was the best BF.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

So someone on the internet claims to have seen a battlefield 2143 trailer and snuck some photos of it

I want to believe.

But also, would it not be odd that this would be coming out so soon after Battlefront? Even a year later? Sci-fi shooter overload, but then again...CoD's gone full sci-fi two years in a row, maybe its time for sci-fi shooters to be mainstream again.

EDIT: Going by how much they messed up Titan mode in BF4, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for 2143. Also, Frostbite can barely handle a single skyscraper collapsing, I really doubt it can handle 2 Titans moving around PLUS level destruction.

still want to believe!

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 28, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Sandweed posted:

There is a area in dragons valley in the no go zone that looks a little like Nosehair Canals.

Just wanna point out this phrase here. "No go zone"? For me that's the part where I'm guaranteed to not get shot from behind by someone I didn't know was there, and I always know where an opponent a shitload of opponents are going to be so I might actually get a kill before I die. Or I could farm XP with medkits or ammo.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Snuffman posted:

I want to believe.

But also, would it not be odd that this would be coming out so soon after Battlefront? Even a year later? Sci-fi shooter overload, but then again...CoD's gone full sci-fi two years in a row, maybe its time for sci-fi shooters to be mainstream again.

EDIT: Going by how much they messed up Titan mode in BF4, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for 2143. Also, Frostbite can barely handle a single skyscraper collapsing, I really doubt it can handle 2 Titans moving around PLUS level destruction.

still want to believe!

They didn't mess up Titan mode because they didn't make Titan mode. There are no Titans in BF4, except for the half-built one. The carriers couldn't fly and didn't have a battery of guns big enough to kill a continent.

2143 makes sense as a sequel based on all the prototype PAC technology in Final Stand. They could also recycle/borrow a lot of the Hoth assets and tech from Battlefront. Ideally the Dice that always fucks things up - Stockholm - is working on Battlefront and the Dice that unfucks things - LA - is working on 2143 while they keep BF4 on life support.

What this really means though is the Krylov is coming back and EMP grenades are going to make pubbies scream until their throats bleed. Then they'll get nerfed and I'll be sad. All worth it if the 2142 spotting system comes back though.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Snuffman posted:

CoD's gone full sci-fi two years in a row, maybe its time for sci-fi shooters to be mainstream again.

I really want to see a WWII BF game on the Frostbite engine (1943 doesnt count). My dream FPS would have all the variety of the Forgotten Hope mod on a modern engine.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Bohemian Nights posted:

http://imgur.com/a/BpbI5

fake

considering last stand they'll probably do 2143 anyway at some point

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think the closest thing I've played to 2142 is Planetside 2. So give that a shot and hope it doesn't ruin BF games for you like it seems to have done for me.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
i've been playing that plants vs. zombies 3rd person shooter all day because it's a lot of fun. y'all should play it.

edit: i believe it went f2p because i randomly had it in my origin account

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

fknlo posted:

I think the closest thing I've played to 2142 is Planetside 2. So give that a shot and hope it doesn't ruin BF games for you like it seems to have done for me.

I really wanted to like planetside 2 but in the end I couldn't stand the flight model or the zergy way infantry ground combat unfolded- especially when half the participants didn't even load onto your screen until you were on top of them.

Rolling as a part of an armored convoy or the opening stages of any mass scale attack was always boss as hell and memorable, but when it came down to the grind itself the game just couldn't deliver

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bohemian Nights posted:

I really wanted to like planetside 2 but in the end I couldn't stand the flight model or the zergy way infantry ground combat unfolded- especially when half the participants didn't even load onto your screen until you were on top of them.

I haven't seen this with enemies for a while. I have friendlies pop in all the time though. It's less zergy now, but the zergs are absolutely still there. The thing that got me looking at other games again was spawn changes that made it harder to escape the zerg and find good fights, but just changing up to the goon VS outfit seems to be taking care of that since they're a lot more active when I'm on.

If they do come out with a 2143 I'll definitely have to pick it up though.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Reinstalled this game, haven't played with goons in a long time now. What time are people usually on to join in Mumble now?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

jisforjosh posted:

Reinstalled this game, haven't played with goons in a long time now. What time are people usually on to join in Mumble now?

Usually eight eastern had a good crowd

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Chronojam posted:

Usually eight eastern had a good crowd

Sounds good, still CTS?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Messed around in the Alpha a bit. Very underwhelming. Maybe if I knew the mechanics a bit more... all the laser guns are... laser guns. Pew pew. They all felt the same to me.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
What's the TTK like?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

What's the TTK like?

It feels longer than BF4. Gotta be headshotting.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
So I've been playing BF4 on gametime this week, and am I crazy/alone for liking it way less than BF3? I'm not sure that I can even articulate why exactly, the game just doesn't feel as good, and I think the maps are worse as well. Like, all of the new guns and vehicles and poo poo are cool, the destruction is better (but still seems inferior to Bad Company 2, my favourite battlefield game), and the graphics are nice and stuff, but I found myself just slogging through and not enjoying it, then played some BF3 and had a great time. I am glad this option existed so I didn't just buy it though.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Bohemian Nights posted:

What's the TTK like?

About the same number of hits to kill but the rates of fire are generally lower and the velocity of the projectiles is really slow, so the actual TTK is longer. The high ROF weapons are hilariously inaccurate at long range and there's no ADS to help them.

I'm actually worried it'll be difficult to deal with snipers as infantry because movement speeds are slow enough to make head shots pretty easy for a mediocre battlefield player, but between jet packs, grenade launchers, and shields, it should be easy enough to close in and pop them. Or you could just use an orbital strike.

Also the flight controls feel weird as poo poo and I've given up on them. There's no roll at all. The mouse controls rudder and pitch and the keyboard only controls throttle, which also determines the power of your lasers. It's shaping up to be a pretty casual shooter which is more about letting you pew pew with your bros than any sort of in depth gameplay. That isn't a criticism, but it's worth acknowledging.

I do hope some of that dumb e-bushido bullshit from Jedi Knight gets imported into the game by idiots though, because orbital strikes don't give a gently caress.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If anything, Jedi nerd rage will be glorious when you roadkill them. "WE WERE DUELING YOU gently caress, STOP RAMMING US WITH THE TIE FIGHTER" :fap:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Smegmatron posted:

About the same number of hits to kill but the rates of fire are generally lower and the velocity of the projectiles is really slow, so the actual TTK is longer. The high ROF weapons are hilariously inaccurate at long range and there's no ADS to help them.

I'm actually worried it'll be difficult to deal with snipers as infantry because movement speeds are slow enough to make head shots pretty easy for a mediocre battlefield player, but between jet packs, grenade launchers, and shields, it should be easy enough to close in and pop them. Or you could just use an orbital strike.

Also the flight controls feel weird as poo poo and I've given up on them. There's no roll at all. The mouse controls rudder and pitch and the keyboard only controls throttle, which also determines the power of your lasers. It's shaping up to be a pretty casual shooter which is more about letting you pew pew with your bros than any sort of in depth gameplay. That isn't a criticism, but it's worth acknowledging.

I do hope some of that dumb e-bushido bullshit from Jedi Knight gets imported into the game by idiots though, because orbital strikes don't give a gently caress.

Is there no key binding?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Lazyfire posted:

Is there no key binding?

Nope!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I just picked this up again, and I keep getting kicked by punkbuster. I'm not doing poo poo to mess with the game, and the EA support solution of updating the punkbuster client hasn't done a thing. Any advice?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I really liked Front. It's way more Bad Company than BF4 and thats a good thing to me. I like the higher TTK, I like the fact that ranged combat is harder to land a hit. I like that I can respond a bit better when someone ambushes me. I like the focus on infantry gunplay and that It's not a huge sea of explosions and death the minute you stick your head out. The scifi focus seems to have let them do stuff for gameplay reasons without having to worry about realism and appealing to the milsperg crowd and it's all making me feel pretty happy so far.

I don't know if snipers are coming in or if it's a higher level unlock or an item in the world but I literally haven't seen one outside of a badguy in horde mode. Again, this is OK with me.

Fighters do feel weird though, it's kind of using the War Thunder chase a mouse system except quite clunky feeling. I haven't tried it on a pad though, I can't imagine it doing the same thing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Anticheese posted:

I just picked this up again, and I keep getting kicked by punkbuster. I'm not doing poo poo to mess with the game, and the EA support solution of updating the punkbuster client hasn't done a thing. Any advice?

Try downloading Punkbuster from the PB site manually. Then Install that version. Do the Punkbuster functionality check to see fi you get any errors. At least that was the fix several people including me used when first installing this game.
Hooray for outdated protection measures that don't do poo poo except cause issues.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Haha what the gently caress? I hope they fix that, their defaults usually suck for everything.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Yeah there is? theres certainly a pretty full featured menu for it, although I just went into it to see what the buttons were, not to change stuff.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lazyfire posted:

Haha what the gently caress? I hope they fix that, their defaults usually suck for everything.

It's a tech alpha, I'm pretty sure that means "not actually the final product" so I wouldn't worry too much. Since, you know, every other battlefield has this.

Wait no let's just panic.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I actually think it's intentionally designed to not have roll in the flight model; the game is super casual.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

ShineDog posted:

Yeah there is? theres certainly a pretty full featured menu for it, although I just went into it to see what the buttons were, not to change stuff.

There is. Not that there is much to configure. There's no prone? Was not a fan of that aspect in BC2. But what was killing me was not finding the click to ADS option.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Casual is.. maybe not what I would call it?

Like, given how much the game wants you to handle leading shots with the slow projectiles and the fact that it's harder to get kills just by bombarding a high traffic area with explosives from the spawn zone tank and the lack of sniper weapons (so far) I'd say the skill ceiling is probably somewhat higher than BF?

Casual in the sense that it's more approachable, sure, but the term casual kind of suggests BF Lite to me, and I'm not getting that vibe from play. Like, BF is a game I enjoy, but I end up going back to CS because it feels kind of spammy - So far I'm finding that the things that I don't like about BF don't apply here. less spammy, no getting sniped out of nowhere by a bush wookie. It just seems like a solid shooter that still has a flair for the dramatic when it needs to.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Anyone found a use for the 3rd person chase cam? I certainly haven't.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's a tech alpha, I'm pretty sure that means "not actually the final product" so I wouldn't worry too much. Since, you know, every other battlefield has this.

Wait no let's just panic.

Yes, that was a note of panic you detected in my post. I was severely worried, I'm glad it came through in the text.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Anti-Hero posted:

Anyone found a use for the 3rd person chase cam? I certainly haven't.

It looks cool, and it lets you see more when you're piloting a vehicle.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Hopper posted:

Try downloading Punkbuster from the PB site manually. Then Install that version. Do the Punkbuster functionality check to see fi you get any errors. At least that was the fix several people including me used when first installing this game.
Hooray for outdated protection measures that don't do poo poo except cause issues.

That's what EA support had me do, and it still doesn't work. :negative:

E: I can't seem to find a functionality check, though.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Anticheese posted:

That's what EA support had me do, and it still doesn't work. :negative:

E: I can't seem to find a functionality check, though.

I had this issue a while back. It has something to do with which ports are being forwarded iirc

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So Battlefield Hardline Premium was on sale for 20 bucks at GMG and I caved and bought it. How dumb am I? I don't even have BF4. THough it's worth noting I'm pretty terrible at shooters in general so.

BF4 is on sale for :10bux: and I'm sorta tempted since that what everyone seems to be playing. I recall playing BF3 on the xbox years ago though and it was a whole lot of running around empty maps waiting to be shot without ever seeing your enemy, which I wasn't much a fan of.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 4, 2015

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

TubeStank posted:

I had this issue a while back. It has something to do with which ports are being forwarded iirc

Do you know which ports these are? And how is Hardline anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Hardline is a really fun game that no one plays.

BF4 is a boring game that loads of people play.

• Locked thread