Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Kun is going to make things to get messier because he refuses to tell anyone what Kainas said to him. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
Toxa Episode 22 Chapter 12

Everyone has gathered to say their goodbyes to Mona. Well almost everyone. :(

Count Shinon "Please take good care of her."
Latan "Trust us, Count Shinon. I promise that she will make it to Pentagram safely."

There is foreshadowed something here, and I completely missed it when I was sitting through the scene myself. Well to be fair my brain goes into a drooling comatose state whenever I'm in cutscene land.
It's a genetic trait I inherited from my dad. He was a JRPG Protagonist. :(.

"As far as she is concerned, I'm fully responsible for her."
Latan "If you say so. You're also a Shrine Warrior..."

"Take care of yourself, Mona."
"Alana, will you tell Toxa that I said thank you?"
"I will."

"I feel sorry for him. He was trying so hard to become a Knight. I hindered his goal."
Well he already is a Knight. But you did stop him from being one.
"It's not your fault, Duran..."
Well it is Akueldo's fault for wanting to kidnap Mona. I'm still blaming Duran though. :colbert:
Count Shinon "What are you going to do now? Are you going back to Vigilance Headquarters?"
"We will join Lacryma's group. She is going to participate in the battle to stop the Rebels. Everyone, prepare yourselves..."

Let's go check out how Toxa is doing.

Well... I guess it's better for him to take out his murderous rage on the air, instead of Duran? Technically it's better. :v:

Yeah, he hunted down every gosh darn thief and murdered the poo poo out of them. And they really couldn't do much to stop him.
Is Toxa really the final secret boss?

Oh man, we've hit peak Teen Angst here. I could have maybe understood it if Toxa had actually lost to someone or seen some horribly overpowered dude just gently caress his friends up.
But we've been stomping the game so hard into the ground, the crater has become a tourist site. No, really. Stop your angst poo poo and just murder some more dudes.

"I have a message from Mona."
"She said thank you..."
"Thank you... Should a Knight feel this way when he loses his master?"
"No, Toxa. That's not the way a Knight should feel."
"What?"
"That's what happens when you lose a loved one."
"A loved one... Alana, am I in..."

Well poo poo... He finally realized what love is. At least they didn't take Mona to the Moon. :v:

Alana knows how to get over heartbreak. Just have a sword fight! Alana is the best bro.

Sometimes I don't get these title drops. Who gives a poo poo about some loving fruit?

Uh oh... Better get our Illuminati hats on because it's conspiracy time! :tinfoil:

Well better prepare to head off to war then I guess. At least the whole matter with Mona have been taken care of.

Errr... What? Is the game repeating it self? No.. Hold on, there were only 1 guy last time.

Duran's last name is Bouquet? Seriously? I'd rather have Posha's last name than Duran's. :v:

Anyways, these guys are obviously frauds, we've already sent Mona off with the real Shrine Warrior. I bet their letter is just some dumb drawings!

Wait, it's legit?

I also forgot it was a secret, because everyone we've talked to regularly knows. :downs:
But wait... That means... WE'VE BEEN BAM BOOZLED!

By a guy who wears an eye-patch, and has a name that rhymes with Satan.
Solid Snake is that you? :argh:
Oh man, what a rookie mistake.

:cripes: I wonder if Mona's full name is Mona Dam' Selindistress? (Actually it's Saradiart)

"A man disguised as a Shrine Warrior came yesterday and I handed Mona over to them."
Baical "Are you sure?"
"No, I'm not. I'm just messing about and lying for no good reason. What do you think you twat?"
"The men who came yesterday was our enemy. I'm sure of it."
Plural? I only saw one guy.
Baical "What a disaster..."
"It's all my fault that I wasn't able to see through their deception. Sir, will you tell this to Pentagram?"
Baical "I understand... However, we are partially responsible for not arriving before the enemy."
"Thank you..."

It is at this moment Duran regretted his choice in girlfriends. :v:

"But the letter from Pentagram was real, wasn't it?"
"Misty, do you think some of the Shrines with power are part of the Rebels?"

"Mona was kidnapped by the Rebels?"
"Most likely..."
I wonder how Toxa is gonna react to this. Duran sort of lost his girlfriend. This is why you never borrow stuff to Duran.
"I should have stopped..."
I know it's a japanese thing. But I'm getting real sick of people blaming themselves for poo poo they had no way of preventing or weren't responsible for. :colbert:
"We don't have time to dwell on our mistakes. Call Toxa and Alana for me."

So yeah. Apparently Akueldo has some real power with the Shrines, and obtained a real Shrine Warrior verification letter. They then used this to bam boozle us and steal Mona.

I'm kind of sad that Latan isn't named anymore. He was a pretty awesome dude. I'll just continue to name him Latan in dialogue.

Latan "We couldn't get her. The Shrine Warrior got in the way."
"I guess she's being treated well by Vigilance..."
"Contact the Idorus army to get them."
Latan "Yes, sir!"
"Do you think they'll come after Mona?"
With the fury of a thousand raging suns. And no less. :colbert:
"They'll come, but little do they know it's a trap."
Another one of Cross's imaginary traps. :colbert:

"I don't like to play games with luck..."
Asty is a terrible Hearthstone player. :v:
"Luck always works in favor of those who are more clever."
Cross thinks he is super good at Hearthstone, but he is playing an aggro hunter deck with no secrets. Unfortunately he still wins the majority of the time, because seriously, gently caress hunter decks.
"I hope you'll show me how smart you really are..."

Asty leaves to prepare for her live stream, where she whines about how unlucky she is and assures everyone that she is, in fact a good Hearthstone player.

BONUS ROUND

Toxa knows what's up

Uh, wait... Like straight up legit knights? We really did turn into Squall. Whatever... Let's get this poo poo done and hope we don't get Time Kompressed.

Idorus Knight Kanyam "We're being nice to you since you're also an Idorus Knight... We don't want to have any misunderstandings, right?"
Wait, hold on, we didn't turn into Squall. It was Cloud all along! poo poo. I hope we don't fall into the life stream or fight long haired bishonen dudes. There's only 6 chapters left and we don't have time for those shenanigans.
"Since when have I become a traitor? You're the ones who are slaves to the Rebels! Wake up, dogs! Stop joking around!"
"Toxa, we should avoid this..."
"Are you serious, Duran?"
"They want us to fight. They have a hidden agenda..."
"Running away will be tough, but easier than to fight!"
Fair points, but how do they think we're going to save Mona if we run away?

We could still take them. :colbert:

"Don't be reckless, Toxa. There has to be a way out!"
Yes, and the way is murder everyone. :black101:
"Yes, but surrender will never be an option!"
"They're not creating any Phantoms yet. We should jump into the river..."
"I can't swim!"
I think Toxa is really set on murdering these guys.

"There are just too many of then..."
Dude, there's like 12. We've murdered triple that without breaking a sweat. Get your game face on man.
"There is a way to reduce the number of enemies..."
Yeah, but murdering them.
"Misty?"
"Duran... Take the others and run while I distract them."
That's dumb. Misty, you're dumb. :colbert:

Heroic sacrifice! Go!

Wait, that worked? Reminds me of Skyrim guard AI. Huge dragon attacking your city? Better chase down that guy with a 50g bounty for pickpocketing.
Alternate joke: Every team I get in League of Legends. :v:

"Duran, don't! Don't let her sacrifice be for nothing!"
"But..."
"The Knights are coming!"
"I will not waste this opportunity that Misty has given us!"

This is clearly still in the Shinon Estate. Come on game, what are you on?

Uh... huh...

So, were back to this nonsense default deployment poo poo again are we?
Note that we don't have Misty. That limits our fire power. In theory anyways.

These guys are directly to the south of us.

And the main opposition is to the north. So we really are surrounded. It makes us incredibly vulnerable to attack from all sides. The enemy will gladly employ area spells like I usually do.
So this means that staying on the defensive is a really bad idea. Wait, I never play defensive. Business as usual then? :v:

We can finally make a new Phantom and it's the Garork. Garorks would normally be a lovely Phantom to us and more specifically to Toxa. But that was before the Kartia stat upgrades everyone got.

But because we do have that extra Kartia slot, we can add "Run" to the Garork. No, I don't know how giant fish runs, I'll leave that your capable and horrifying imaginations.

So what does "Run" do? It increases the Terrain Movement stat on Ground. Terrain Movement is a stat I've completely ignored, because it rarely comes into play. But the Garork is different.
It's normally a Naval unit which has a ludicrous huge movement range in Water, but only 2 on Ground. Well, the "Run" Text alleviates the penalty somewhat. Now it'll only have 1 or 2 movement less on land, than in the sea.
This Text is what makes Garorks viable for us to use, since otherwise we wouldn't know when we'd get on a water mission or not.
In regards to the Phantom itself it's a step between Morderes and Dragons. It's actually fairly good, especially since you don't have to create stuff for it. But I only made one, because I wanted to squeeze the last life out of my Lizauros. For whatever reason. :v:

I'm really only showing these to display our character levels. Speaking of levels, I haven't mentioned that the max level a unit can achieve, is lvl. 20. Bear in mind we are 2/3rds through Toxa's campaign, but our characters are around 3/4ths of the maximum level already.
Levels themselves don't do all much much. They increase speed by 1 or 2 points and increases all Elemental resistances by 4ish I think? So honestly? They are pretty good for making your characters more resistant to magic, but there are ways to get around that. So levels aren't
really that important.

Case in point of the ridiculous resistance stats.

With that said. I didn't create any new stuff and only made a new Garork.

And...

...Then...

... I...

... Won.

The battle here was slightly tougher. For my Phantoms. If I had made a full team of Garorks. Well.. I'd probably get done in 3-4 turns.
Also nothing cool got dug up. We got a lot of new Text. Bla bla bla, nothing new. :v:

"Who?"
"I'm what you call a saviour."
:allears: I like her, can we keep her?
"What are you talking about at a time like this!?"
"Don't you want to save the Half-Elf Mona?"
Man, what a lovely title to have. Imagine being known as "John the Human"
"How do you know that? Are you part of the Akueldo?"
"No. I am on your side."
"How can we trust you?"
"You have to trust me if you want to get out of this situation..."
What situation? Victory?
"If this is a trap, I'm going to kill you."
"You don't sound like a warrior of the cloth..."

So, you might have noticed that the title for this chapter doesn't have a part number. Why is that?
That's because this is the whole chapter. Typically a chapter is divided into 3 parts.
Before. During and After battle. But this chapter doesn't have an "After" part. So while it may feel longer.
It's actually the shortest chapter in the game.

Next time. It's back to Lacryma again. Something about her adopted father, killing her real father. But not really? It's sure to be full of drama.

Toxa Episode 22 Chapter 12.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Couldn't our heroes just slow the Knights down with Phantoms?

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

For the same reason, we couldn't just wall them in with earth magic. Or freeze them solid with ice magic.
Because they have plot armor :haw:

You know, since we got the ability to make Pardosi, why haven't our party traveled on horseback?

The best alternate solution would be setting ourselves on fire to avoid capture. But alas we're not ninjas, so that option is void. :v:

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Thing is, if this was Chapter 3 or something, this could potentially be a difficult battle. But they've undercut their own dramatic tension by making your characters so formidable, which is really a shame. Instead of Misty's actions being heroic/redeeming, it just kinda seems pointless.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Maybe the party is just making fun of the enemy?

"Oh no you guys, we are totally screwed. :v: I. Have. To. Save. You. With. A. Heroic. Sacrifice."
"Curses! We are surrounded. *snicker* Oh woe is us. Truly our situation is most dire."
Toxa doesn't quite get what everyone else is doing and just looks on in disbelief.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sazero posted:

For the same reason, we couldn't just wall them in with earth magic.

Actually yeah. Our attacks even crater/raise the battlefield! This would have been an excellent integration of mechanics into cutscenes.

gently caress what a missed opportunity :(

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 25 Chapter 12 pt.1

No, you aren't missing an update from Toxa Chapter 12. That was all of it. So Toxa's situation is unknown to us, but needless to say, we shouldn't expect him to back us up, fighting off the Rebels.

Of course Kun tells everyone but the person who needs to know, about Kainas being alive, because dramatic tension, OOOOooooOOOO.

"Are you sure you weren't dreaming?"
It bugs me when people question a person who have never exhibited any untrustworthy traits or have acted suspiciously, or have no reason to lie.
"He told me to tell Lacryma to go to Idorus fortress."
"Dead men don't talk. Are you sure about this?"
"He told me himself that he was Kainas."
"Are you sure that it wasn't a dream?"
Bachstail, you're too smart to have this kind of dialogue.
"I told you, he was real!"

"What are you, stupid? She will get confused. Also, he's the enemy."
Pffyeah, Ele. It's not like Lacryma is an adult and have a right to know. :colbert:
"She's already in a weird mood. It's better not to cause more problems for her."
Yeah, this isn't gonna bite us in the rear end later.
"Ok, I won't say anything."
"I admit, I wanted to see Lacryma panic."
"You're so twisted."

What Bachstail doesn't mention is that this also opens up the possibility that the Original Kartia was stolen instead of used.
And if the Kartia was used, it also raises the question; Who was it used on?

For some reason, Troy reminds me of Zorro from One Piece. Short hair, the posture... He even has two swords.
He really only lacks the earrings. It's Bizarro Zorro. :v:

Also, this is kind of ridiculous, we are going to the place where Kainas wants us to go, and yet they're still keeping the fact about Kainas not being dead, a secret from Lacryma.
What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

Troy sounds like a lovely CoD player. It's not that there are people better at the game than you, no it's just that they have too much spare time and are thus losers. :v:

"The Knights are attacking from the front."
"That's why it's important to accomplish our mission."
Because the Knights were so incompetent they couldn't come up with a better plan than to rush straight into the front entrance?
I vote we let nature take it's course :colbert:

"If we wipe out the camp, it would be easier for the Knights."
Ele, they have a FORTRESS, and CANNONS. This isn't a camp anymore.

Yep, no secrets being kept here. :downs:

"Why do you look so angry?"
"I'm not mad at you, Lacryma."
No, you're just upset someone is leaking secrets and it isn't you. :haw:
"She's nervous since we're about to attack."
"That's right. I'm nervous. I'm angry."
"I don't understand..."
"All right, this is our last mission. Stay sharp."

Next time, The hardest combat section yet. Oh boy.

Lacryma Episode 25 Chapter 12 pt.1

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Goddamnit Kun. You like the girl and you're holding back on this info. Man. Of all people.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. So those aren't the Idorus Knights, just rebels dressed up in their gear? Or are the Knights turncoats?

I suppose we'll find out.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 25 Chapter 12 pt.2

I've given up on making sense of the map. Where somewhere. Ok?

We have quite the formidable army, from last chapter. However both Team Horseshit and Team Bullshit suffered a casualty each.

Wait.. That's an Idorus Knight. I guess Idorus really is allied with the Rebels. I guess Toxa didn't get the memo.

This cannon makes taking care of the two enemies to the west a priority. At least that is what I'm going to assume that's what was the intention.
But since the AI is really bad, I bet the enemies would just run away. Like it always does. :argh:

Directly to the north is another cannon, and it's already manned.
It's also impossible for us to reach as the elevation is too steep for us move up to.
Right next to them is the new phantom, Satelles.

They are pretty poo poo. When we can create them, we could get A ranks in equipment, but since they can barely wield anyting, they're pretty poo poo.
They are going for a sort of glass cannon setup. As I've mentioned earlier, defense is the best offense.

And then we have this little area, guarded by Idorus Knights and Garorks.

Speaking of Garorks, I make this monster, with normal movement on Ground terrain and a further +2 movement.

I figure it's about time I also show off the levels from Lacryma's team.

Since Bachstail joined late, he is somewhat behind on levels.

Ele is.. There. I guess. :shrug:

Since I've taken special care to feed xp to Ele, Troy is more streamlined with the rest of the group

Unfortunately due to Lpix having some sort image duplication filter, I can't show off Lacryma's stat screen. But she is lvl 15.

Once again, I split my team into two. I personally dislike having a huge army of +16 units where the majority of them will just wait every turn.

Let's start of our murder crusade, by burning some pot.

How fitting that we get smarter by taking drugs.

We also get this, but it's largely unexciting.

We treat the Idorus Knight, like pirate scum and drown them. :yarr:

We also spit on them like small children. That'll teach them to do their job!

Meanwhile Troy starts building access to the second cannon. Earth magic will allow us to raise the ground so we can get up there.

The enemy doesn't take kindly to use messing up their carefull dug moat.

Err.. You know, Takeru Thunder is a spell we haven't seen before. Now I haven't experiemented that much with wind magic, but I'm sure we don't have access to this spell yet.

It also looks like a god drat Final Fantasy Summon.

I have a super bad feeling about this.

:stare: OW, that was on a full hp Pardos.

OH poo poo THIS IS BAD, ABORT.

:stonk: So this is how it feels like.

Meanwhile the AI spits out more XP bags.

Again? But that's a soldier! That's not fair! Not fair at all!

:gibs:

Ah, well the only reason I got hit by that was to show case our new healing spell! Yeah, totally... :ninja:

Well isn't that just beautiful.

Thank you for assisting in the LP, Soldier. As your contract have been fulfilled you are now terminated.

This is the final step, and we can now exact bloody murder on the Knight.

Except he was more durable than I expected and due to how the terrain is, I only have one attack opportunity on him.

He was unfortunately also inside the minimum range of the cannon. Guess we'll just have to shoot someone else.

The other team has finally commanded the other cannon, and what do you know it, some of the Garorks are in range of it.

:stare: Oh poo poo, hope we don't break the planet with this.

That was largely underwhelming.

Still. It worked.

Moving forward a little bit, because I'm not going to pretend the Satelles were going to be any difficulty whatsoever.
I now have my full army just outside the enemy fort.

I don't need to tell you that standing in a small enclosed area with only one exit is a terrible idea in Kartia.

Darwinism can be a beautiful thing sometimes.

I also found this spell laying around. And I also want to preserve the remains of my enemies as trophies. What an opportune moment.

How is this not Shiva? :colbert:

And then I won. I skipped over some treasures, and I'm honestly questioning me showing everything I get when I get it.

It better be after risking copyright infringement.

"So we just sit here and wait, right? Let the knights handle the rest."
"Our mission is accomplished."
"Not so fast. The enemy may attack Lacryma."
"Why me?"
"You're the head of the knights."
No she isn't, she's the head of Vigilance. Although the Knights might be looking up to her, that doesn't make her their leader.
But Bachstail is probably only saying this to keep Lacryma on her guard, without revealing the fact that Kainas is still alive.

"The enemy is after her... This is getting rediculous."
"Be careful of what you say."
"This is all your fault. Just accept it."
"Shut up!"

Those Takeru Thunders really caught me off guard. But case in point why you shouldn't hang out with multiple enemies who can cast Kartia for too long.

And some more stuff. Hooray.

Seems like now is a good time as any to take a break, so go outside or something.

Lacryma Episode 25 Chapter 12 pt.2

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of weird that powerful spells are summoning some kind of spirits. I mean, this is Kartia. They can only recreate things, right?

...wait. What has the Church been up to? Killing local gods?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Would those dudes do the same amount of damage to Toxa with those spells or would he just shrug it off and then wipe em out?

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

SSNeoman posted:

Would those dudes do the same amount of damage to Toxa with those spells or would he just shrug it off and then wipe em out?

Toxa's resistances are not super remarkable, so even he would get beaten up pretty badly by a couple of Takeru Thunders. Human enemies become increasingly threatening because of the spells they get access to. Throwing in something to give resistance to all elements, like the Buddha gear that I think Posha was equipped with can be very worthwhile. Physical attacks just aren't very threatening, especially with a Dream sword that can heal you with each counterattack.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Glazius posted:

It's kind of weird that powerful spells are summoning some kind of spirits. I mean, this is Kartia. They can only recreate things, right?

...wait. What has the Church been up to? Killing local gods?

As far as we know Kartia can also be used to summon beings from at least one other dimension. (The Elves.)
Kartia can create anything as long as you have the right Text, Kartia and image of what you want to create.
Someone who has never seen a dog, would never be able to create one.

The reason we are starting to see more, and more spirits do magic for us, is probably because the casters can't imagine themselves be so powerful.
So they "summon" a Persona spirit to do it for them. At least that's how I interpret it. But it could also just be straight up summon magic.

SSNeoman posted:

The huge amount of damage Bachstail took, was also a bit of an illusion.
See Bachstail is at least 5 levels below everyone else. So that puts his resistances well below what they should be.
Since the game have been super easy, I wasn't particularly careful in my equipment setup. I could have created Buddha gear or Unique armor to boost Bachstails resistances.

I didn't show it off in the LP due to an oversight, but Troy took a total of 10 damage from both Takeru Thunders.
Maybe being atheist gives you +40 resistance to Gods? :v:

Magic is a concern, until you've taken the appropriate counter measures. I didn't with Bachstail and it almost kicked my rear end. But once you do the game returns to the bore fest it has been.

Also, no Toxa wouldn't take that much damage, because he is lvl 15 and thus has higher resistances than Bachstail, but he would probably still take a good 25ish damage I suspect.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 25 Chapter 12 pt.3

We managed to kick the invading Rebels out of our country, and stopped them from taking our women and stealing our jobs. gently caress yeah! Go freedom! :911:

Congratulations! Now you get to be roped into doing some more loving bullshit. JRPG Protag gangsta lyfe.

"Yeah... She may be the next Bishop."
From what we've seen from the shady conspiratorial scheming the shrines aren't the forerunners of gender equal job opportunities.
"Hurry up and read it!"

I think real life should have more titles. Living in a kingdom and all, I really wish it was within the scope of realism to actually obtain a knight title.

Did you know that most kingdoms have titles they exchange with other entitled visitors? But they only exchange titles they don't give them out.
For example back when one of the US presidents visited my country, they didn't get a title, because the president had no title to give.
Sort of an exclusive circle jerk group, now that I think about it. On the other hand, how can you be proud of a title, you got by just crossing the borders?
That's like getting an achievement for starting up a game for the first time. Well, that was sidetrack, moving on.

"An Inquirer! You've done it, Lacryma!"
"I won't become an Inquirer!"
"Why are you getting mad at me!?"

"Ok... There's something I want to ask you, too."

"I need your help. Why do you think the Archbishop..."
"What do you mean? Why is Pentagram in such haste?"
"The existence of the world is at stake here."
"The existence of the world?"
"The enemy is trying to create Eden by using Kartia."
"Eden? That's impossible"
Everytime someone says, something is impossible, I can't help but think of the Gurren Lagann song. It's sort of annoying really.
"What if it's not?"
"Eden is God's territory. We have no right to do so. People will lose faith."
It's not like God is running a gang, I don't think he needs to mark his territory.

"The enemy are not a mere group of Encrypters."
"Who are the Rebels..?"
"An extremist Encrypter group, Akueldo Rebels... And the Idorus army are also a part of the Rebels."

"Colleague?"
"Her name is Karis... She's a spy. I got all the information from her."
"Inquirer... Spy... Bach, are you..."
"I'm an Inquirer."

"That's a poor excuse."
"Sorry honey, we can't be together, because I've been appointed as a spy." :haw:
Well, it's a better excuse than most, I think.

"It's not an excuse. I wanted to tell you that you are needed."
"Everything is determined by God. I can't change anything."
"You're lying to yourself. You know better than that."
Yeah, Bachstail has had enough of this religous "Turn the other cheek" bullshit.
"What?"
"Did the people die according to God's law?"
"The only one who can accuse the war of being a heretic act, is one who is above the law. Come with me and let's destroy the real enemy."
"I'd rather accept the bad deeds than see the bad judge the bad."

"Your father was an Inquirer."
"That's a lie! You and the Bishop are lying."

"The latest rumor is that Kainas is alive and is working for the Rebels."
"How dare you..."

"Ok, I'll be right there."

The Knight leaves

"You disappoint me, Bachstail."
"Don't deceive yourself. You know I'm right."
"No!"

Lacryma's first reaction to seeing Dragons were "Let's murder them!". Not exactly innocent Bachstail.

drat right they're not. Filthy immigrants won't take our jobs!

"Of course. We killed them all."
Knight "If Vigilance retreats, things will be hard on us. We would like to ask for your support for tomorrow's attack."
DO YOUR JOB, YOU LAZY BUM. :argh: It's people like these that makes me want filthy immigrants to come and take our jobs. They would do a better job than these lazy pieces of poo poo.
"What!? The deal was that we don't cross the border!"
"That's right!"
Knight "Then what about this... Use Lacryma as bait and lure the enemy out of the Count's estate. Then you can kill them here."
Get. Bent. :argh:
"No way! It's too dangerous!"
Well, it's not really. I just don't want to go through another filler chapter is all. :v:
"That's right! The enemy is already after Lacryma!"

"Why don't you just shut up!?"
Knight "What!?"
"Do you know what you're asking? Is that the way of a Knight?"
:allears:
Knight "How dare you! You're just a lousy Encrypter!"

"You want me as bait? Ok, I'll go along with your plan."
:downs:
Knight "At least you understand..."
"Lacryma, it's too dangerous."
"I'll do whatever it takes to end the war."
Knight "Wonderful, we will talk later regarding the details."

"You made up your mind, didn't you? You never change..."
"Are you sure about this? You're going to be bait!"
"Don't worry, everyone... I will solve everything."
And then later Lacryma died because of stress. The end... :v:

No one tells me what to do! :v:

"She should have turned it down."
"Yeah..."
"Are you listening, Kun?"
"I'm... I was thinking about her father."
"That's right! You should tell her! The Knights are attacking tomorrow!"
"I don't know what I should do."

This is why Ele exists in the game.

Yeah Lacryma did just pass the window, hear something about some secrets, and then go back to listening in.

"What then..? 'Lacryma, your father is alive and wants to see you at fort Idorus. By the way, he's the enemy.' Is that it?"
Now Ele is stealing my job as LP'er. Have I become Ele? :aaaaa:

She would deal with it like a responsible adult? Woah, I know that's pretty wild.

"Were you listening to us?"
I don't even know why they bother keeping secrets.
"No... The Knights are passing out Kartia. Could you two get some?"
"Sure..."

See? She took the news just fine. Stop being such dramatic drama queens. :colbert:

Next time, we'll see how Toxa and his group is holding up with the whole "fighting Idorus's corrupt army" thing.
Is it stereotypical that it's the woman, who has to deal with daddy issues, and the dude who has to rescue the princess?
I don't know why I ask, because the reality is, I don't care either way. So nya!

Lacryma Episode 25 Chapter 12 pt.3

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well poo poo just went south hard.

Really though Bachs what was the gameplan here? Yes let's get Lacryma to join our fanatic spy sect even though she loathes said spy sect WHAT COULD GO WRONG!?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think organizational allegiance wouldn't really matter on this desperate mission to save the world.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 24 Chapter 13 pt.1

"That's my line, Misty. It's an embarrassment to have a traitor as a sister."
"You set everything up! You're an embarrassment to our family, Asty!"
And so the discussion devolved into childish "No, you are" arguements. :v:

"Hey, don't kill her just yet. She can be used as bait to lure her friends here..."
Cross. They are already coming to get Mona back. You already have the bait. No, really. Cross is dumb.

"Brother, please let her go..."
"No!"
(Wow I really botched the portrait for Saradiart compared to Mona. Whoopsy. No, I won't be fixing it.:effort:)

Isn't it odd that San has his surname displayed instead of his first name?

So do I. But I can hardly take pride in kicking your rear end Cross. :colbert:

"Yes Mona, trust this face."

"You have become so compassionate, sister..."
"Go ahead, kill me... Wasn't that your plan!?"

Asty is dying from fantasy cancer, remember? Well not that Misty knows.

"Should?"
"I will allow them to create Eden in this world... It is their wish."
"You are being deceived by the enemy, San. It is against our law to connect the two worlds. The world will be destroyed..."
"That's fine. The human world should be destroyed..."

Surprise, surprise. The magical murderous psycho half-elf, does in fact want to kill everything. Who'd knew? :v:

"Humans don't deserve to live... I can't bear to think that half of my blood comes from those barbarians."
Friggin' racist half-elves. :argh: That's honestly not a sentence I ever expected to write, and yet here I am.
"What is wrong with you!? Have you gone mad!?"
"You don't know what the humans did to our mother..."
Considering the elves ability to pass on memories to their children, I would imagine that Mona would know.
But then again we don't know specifically how that works. So it's possible she doesn't.

What. Screw the rules, we have elven blood? Yeah sure why not?

"We are not allowed to use our "power" in this world..."
"Why do we have to obey the old legends!?"

"There are different kinds of people in this world!"
"Send someone in to take Mona away!"

This isn't gonna end well at all. Is it? :smith:

Alright, we made it away from the trap. Even though we completely murdered everyone in our path, just play along okey?

"He is also Mona's brother. Half Elf...half human..."
"He can use magic without using Kartia, plus, he's immortal."
Well the whole "Kartialess magic" is rather irrelevant to us, unless said magic is stronger than ours. The real issue is the whole will not die thing.
Oh and he is also potentially Toxa's brother in law. So ethics or whatever. :v:

"There is only one way to kill Saradiart..."
Stone cold. Just ice, man.
"We have to use the Original "Death" Kartia."
"That is correct..."
"I still can't believe he is immortal..."
"I don't blame you... I didn't believe it until I actually saw him. He just stood there while he was being attacked with a sword."
The key information that Karis isn't conveying here is that Saradiart isn't impervious to weaponry. His body still suffers the damage. He just regenerates really fast.
So with a bit of psychopathic creativity, we could chop him up and spread him across the earth. What? Why are you looking at me like that?

"It is strictly forbidden for common people to handle an Original Kartia... If we steal the Original, we will be judged as heathens!"

Well let me know how non heathen life works out for you, on whatever life remains of the world after Akueldo have hosed it up with Eden.

"Duran, you're about to break the law..."
"gently caress the police
"I swore that I would protect Misty..."
"If you don't mind being a heathen, then I will go with you, Duran."
"I'm with you, too! If I quit now, I'll lose sight of what is important."
"I'm glad that you understand. I will take you to the Encrypter School."
gently caress yeah, let's go do some crime! :yarr:

"I enforce the law, but I'm not subject to it..."
"Are you... An Inquirer?"

Toxa doesn't give a honk about this drama crap.

"They will do anything within their power to destroy a heathen..."
"A heathen hunter..."
No one expect the Cross Lands Inquisition. :haw:

"I don't care who Karis is. As long as she is on our side."
"That is a good way to think. You three need to calm down."
"If you don't mind, will you tell us what your mission is?"
"My mission is to stop the creation of Eden..."
Here we go again.
"That's why you were working for Akueldo..."
"That's correct..."
"Karis, may I ask a question?"
"Go ahead..."
"I heard that the creation of Eden was attempted before and failed... Did the Rebels find a way to successfully create Eden?"
"There are no absolute answers. That is the reality of it all. The cause of the destruction of Eden has already been discovered."
"It's because they used an ordinary "Earth" Kartia in the experiment. That is why they failed. Right?"

"To complete Eden, it requires two types of Kartia. The 'Earth' Kartia is not enough to maintain Eden in this world..."
"What is the other type?"
"A 'Heaven' Kartia... A Kartia which creates the sky of Eden."
"A Kartia to create the sky?"
"An "Earth" Kartia creates the ground of Eden and a "Heaven" Kartia creates the sky."
"Eden will appear when both of the Original Kartia are used at the same time... However, the creator needs to have a memory of Eden."
"Saradiart and Mona..."
"The twins of fate..."

"That's why you are going after Saradiart?"
"Luckily, Mona is against the creation of Eden..."
"Why did you help us? Why did you choose us to get the Original "Death" Kartia?"
"I have two reasons. It is easier to get Mona since she trusts you. Also, Bachstail is with you. Isn't he in Vigilance?"
"You know Bachstail? What does he have to do with you?"
"He's an Inquirer..."

"His mission is to find the Original 'Life' and 'Death' Kartia... Do you have enough information now?"
"Now we can go get the Original 'Death' Kartia!"
"Let me show you the way to the Encrypter School."

Sure, we barely escaped getting murdered by an army of knights. Let's go sneak into an enemy stronghold and steal their books. What could possibly go wrong? :v:

Toxa Episode 24 Chapter 13 pt.1

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is getting a lot better now that things are actually happening.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

gently caress yeah time to go National Treasure in this bitch. Do you think Nick Cage would make a good Toxa or Duran?

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Kartia would be a better game if the plot started somewhat earlier than two-thirds of the way in.

I still enjoy it for some reason :negative:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 24 Chapter 13 pt.2

Alright, let's go steal us some historical artifacts. :v:

"Of course I remember! Mona's and Misty's live depend on it!"
"Just checking..."

We already got found out.

Best thieves treasure hunters in the history of Rebus.

Akueldo Soldier "Intruders! Enemies from Cross Land are here! Get our men!"
"Had Karis been here, we wouldn't have to go through all this trouble..."
"I feel like the bad guys..."

This is a rare case where we don't have to murder everyone. But that's not how Toxa Nicholas Cage rolls. So expect a healthy body count.

One of the soldiers who was guarding the entryway has disappeared. Also our formation is a mess, as always.

[img]http://lpix.org/2120146/capture_138_26062015_231815.png[/img
The map is nicely symmetrical with treasure sprinkled across it.

This is the first "obstacle" preventing Toxa from reaching the Death Kartia. It's the Death Kartia now, because gently caress the whole Original "Death" Kartia.

Don't think I don't see you Satellas.

I rotated the camera here to show the treasure chest behind the platform. Don't think you can cheat me from treasure, game.

As for Phantoms, we can now create the Satellas. Mo like Satellass, because they are terrible. It's more of the same poo poo we've seen before.
Can't wear helmets or chest armor. bla bla mediocre elemental resistances. Really, stick to Minotauri or Pardosi.

We can now make a slightly shittier Dream Katana.

It's also been a while since Toxa got some upgrades, and I couldn't wait for A rank. Or well. I could, but I didn't want to. So he get's a full +4 Genji set.

It's very samurai.:japan:

I also make a 7 Stars Sword. It's the better version of the Dream Sword.

It deals slightly less damage than the Zweihander, but it doesn't have have an atrocious hit stat, and it has healing on hit. Not that Toxa really needs it with his new beefy armor.

So my final team and positions looks like this. In the interest of not taking 20 turns in this place, I split my team into 4. Team Cage consists of Toxa, and a few Garorks. They'll be moving towards the objective.
Then I'll have two teams of Phantoms move towards the treasure. Let's call them Team A and Team Miracle as the last features the Kyau who keeps surviving for some reason and the former have Posha, who is really generic.
Lastly we have Team Meat Grinder. Which has Duran, Alana and the super Minotauri I made back then, they'll be sitting here for no reason at all.

Just the best camera angles. What production values? :v:

Hey, I have a Garork of each type just in range to hit these guys. What a coincidence :v:

This is gonna take a while, since I have no indirect attacker on this side.

Posha on the other hand broke through rather quickly.

I teach all my giant fish to open doors. What if there's an emergency?

After I had cleared the soldiers in the entryway I start to move towards the Death Kartia with my Meat Grinder team.

But then Reinforcements came. I'm not sure if the game spawns 2 Soldiers every turn or only if they're dead.

Bullshit game allows reinforcements to move on the turn they arrive. I can already feel the Takeru Thunders.

Demon Fire? Crisis averted. Nevermind the AI is incompetent again.

Mandatory screenshot of our Kyau. Oh yeah and some shoes I guess. :shrug:

The Minotauri are pretty beast if you outfit them properly.

At this point, I'm just holding the reinforcements back while Toxa makes progress.

It's been a while since we've seen a visually impressive spell. Blackholes and lightning? That's hella cool.

It's at this point I remember to check out the Soldier's stats, because they're suspiciously easy to kill. Wood equipment, lvl 7 and beginner spells. Are you kidding me game?

Ding, ding, ding. Toxa have reach maximum level.

For a guy who started out with mediocre resistances and no speed he turned out pretty well. If he didn't have those Speed penalties form his armor he would have pretty respecable Speed too.
Lvl20 might seem like a low maximum lvl, we are after all only in chapter 13. But I'm guessing the developers were going for you trying to lvl your Phantoms up as well.
Besides I think having a maximum level that is realistic to get to at normal game play is better than a theoretical maximum level that you won't get without tedious grinding. Disgaea...

We did clear a path to the objective, but we don't want to miss anything. This Soldier have some Text on him, so let's murder him before we progress.

"Are you sure it's the right one?"
"Don't worry. Let's go."
"According to Karis, there should be an exit to the rear!"
"Better to run away! But all we've doing."
Whoopsy, someone missed "It's" in the last line in Alana's dialogue.

Next time is gonna be super short, I honestly should include it in this update, but :effort:

Toxa Episode 24 Chapter 13 pt.2

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, is it better to get a place on high alert and face everything rather than get surprised later on?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pretty low security for a Kartia that rules over the power of death.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Usually the idea of sneaking into a place is to not get caught until you've accomplished your objective at the very least.
Normally it's an approach you take when you can't just power through any opposition or if timing is of the essence.

They did run away from whatever forces the Idorus Knights sent at them, so I don't see why taking on an entire stronghold worth of
enemies is more manageable than the army. On the other hand, maybe Toxa noticed they were wearing Wood equipment and decided to gently caress the
forced stealth section?

The more realistic answer is that Akueldo probably never expected an attack there, after all only they knew the Death Kartia was there.
Similar to how Mona's security was, well, non existent, but she didn't get kidnapped again until Misty told Cross where she was, and even then
we still repelled the attack.

They are also waging a war so it's not like they have all their most powerful dudes hanging around the base.
The thing to take away from all this is that information is power. Especially when it comes to stealing treasure hunting. :v:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 24 Chapter 13 pt.3

"What's done is done! This is for Misty and Mona! We don't have any choice!"

Even Toxa got sick of adding Original in front of the drat things name.

"But, Saradiart is Mona's twin brother..."
"I know. I'm not about to hand this over to Karis."
"That's not what we promised."
"I will try and persuade Saradiart to stop what he's doing first..."

I wouldn't really know, it's not like I cut up Elves to check it out.

"That has bugged me for the longest time..."
"What is it?"
"How are the Rebels going to create one?"
"From Mona!"
"But Mona and her brother are the only ones who have any memory of Eden. Don't you need to use the "Heaven" and "Earth" Kartia at the same time?"
That is a rather excellent point.
"Yes... You need both of them to complete Eden."
"The Rebels caught Mona so that they could create the "Earth"."
"If they kill Mona, then they will lose the creator... That doesn't make sense!"
"Then the Rebel's can't create Eden."
"Unless there is another half-Elf..."

The dialogue just flows so fluently. :v:

Toxa have mastered sleepwalking so he can get as much rest as possible at all times.

"The Text?"
"It comes with the Original "Death" Kartia."
"I don't want to use the card. I don't need to know..."
THEN WHY DID YOU STEAL IT, YOU MORON? :argh:
"That is the only ace we may have up our sleeve..."

Toxa nod's and heads off with Duran.

"That's because you're tired. Go and get some rest..."
"No. It's not because I'm tired..."
What a fine time to hit the rebellious stage of growing up.
"I am not afraid of death. I'm just scared of what will become of me after I die... The unknown, you know..."
THAT loving MEANS YOU'RE SCARED OF DEATH! :argh: I'm not afraid of getting punched, I just don't like the pain is all. :v:
"Posha..."
"If I die, what will become of me? Nothing will remain and nobody will remember me. No memories, no light... Just sadness..."
In actuality, your body will decompose and provide nutrients for plants, which will then get eaten by herbivores where it will turn to poo poo. That's how all things end. In poo poo. :v:
"Stop thinking like that! The most important thing is to live now!"
"I'm sorry..."

To sum it up, we just invaded an enemy strong hold to get a weapon we had no intention of using. God drat it Toxa.
I can't believe someone had to say "Hey you know what? Maybe we should use that super weapon we just stole, you know, just in case."

Toxa Episode 24 Chapter 13 pt.3

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey you know, if we ask inquisiters really, really, nicely, maybe they'll forgive us for borrowing it! :v: :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's completely legit to steal a super weapon and not intend to use it, for example just to keep it out of the hands of whoever you stole it from.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I can understand wanting to use it as a last resort, but not at all? That just seems off considering we just went and got it as the only way to deal with Saradiart.
Besides as far as we know Akueldo doesn't intend to use the "Death" Kartia.

On a more technical note, I barely avoided the LP Curse lightning strike. I accidentally loaded a way earlier save state and thought "oh poo poo that's 4 months game progress gone." Because I had gone back to regular saving in game.
Thankfully I didn't lose any progress. I can computers :downs:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 26 Chapter 13 pt.1

Alright, so Lacryma agreed to bait Akueldo into Cross Land because of a condition, she herself set to Vigilance cooperation in the war.
Which was for Vigilance to not cross borders. That's almost equally as stupid as getting arrested for breaking a law you made yourself. :v:

"She's always too serious."
"She could have at least told us first."
"She's not your lover, you know."
"I didn't mean it that way!"
"Why don't you just give up?"
"Why are you saying that..."

"But Lacryma is going to turn it down, right?"
"This is a great opportunity for her... But then, she has no interest in the Original..."
"Even if she is, she won't take the job. She's not selfish like you."
"How can you say that..?"

Elsewhere

"Tell your Admiral that Lacryma Christi is here."

Over my dead body. :colbert:

Uh.. Wait, Lacryma. You were supposed to be bait, not get captured.

Greeeeeeeeeaaaaaaat, Forced stealth section here I come!

These title drops makes less and less sense as time goes on.

Good job Lacryma, you've successfully infiltrated the Fort. I can't really fault you for wanting to be a spy.
I mean spies are cooler than bait, so go you. Even though you've screwed over all the plans to fight back Akueldo
and no one knows that you've been captured. So you don't really have an exit strategy. What a rookie mistake.

And Lacryma instantly recognizes her long lost father she hadn't seen since childhood. Even though Misty couldn't recognize Vandor on the painting in Lacryma's room.

What a heartfelt reunion. Err... Wait, why is your first question regarding the lawfulness of your long lost father? I think Lacryma might have an obsession with the law.

"Lacryma I'm so sorry for not being the father you deserved."
"Yeah, whatever. But you're not doing anything illegal are you? Because I will be very cross with you if you are."

:goleft:

Note that Vandor's name have now changed to Kainas.

"I haven't seen him in years. How is he?"
"He's doing fine..."
"Twelve years... So many things to tell you. I don't know where to start."
"How about why you faked your own death? I know..."
"Let me answer your question... I'm in Akueldo because I want Eden..."

"Mother is in Eden?"
"That's right."
"I thought she's with God..."
Well did you see her hang out with God? She could be anywhere for all you know Lacryma. She could be on the most radicool adventures. She could be riding twin headed, fire breathing Unicorns for all you know.
She is most likely dead and buried in the graveyard though.

"But there is one way to revive her."
Uh oh, I'm getting an ominous feeling here. Reviving mothers are never a good idea. Never. IT CAN ONLY GO WRONG.
"There is a way to revive her? How?"
"With the Original Kartia."
So you're telling me there ARE revival spells in this game?

"No, the Original "Life" Kartia is no longer here. But it won't do any good, her flesh has perished."
I wonder if the back of the "Life" Kartia has a warning about not reviving people past a certain date after death. Sort of like an expiration date?
Aw man, should have put my dead uncle in the freezer, now he's expired and I can't resurrect him. :v:
In all seriousness though. Kainas is implying that the "Life" Kartia has already been used. Hmm :raise:

"Then how?"
"By using the Original "Human" Kartia, I can create Shell."
So.. Cloning? :ohdear: I'm getting all the flashbacks to Full Metal Alchemist now. Especially THAT guy. Now I'm kinda sad :(
"I've never heard of an Original "Human" Kartia..."
"It's not in Rebus. We're going to get one."

"The Text exists!?"
"I already have half. It's just a matter of time before I find the other half."
"Where are you going to get the Original Kartia?"
"We are analyzing the Original. The material is in Eden."
"That's your reason? But you're violating the law... It's not too late. Please stop this."

It all sounds so noble, until you realize that Vandor is part of an organization that have killed numerous people so far, just to get a shot at resurrecting his dead wife.

"Don't you want to see Shell?"
"I would love to... But to revive the dead is forbidden."
"What is forbidden? What does it mean to be a heathen?"
"What is a man? But a miserable little pile of secrets?"
"Invading God's territory is against the law. Whoever disobeys the law is called a heathen. They're not forgiven."
I wonder how many Jrpg adventures were foiled because the protagonists would have to break the law to fight the super evil mega god, because trespassing in his dimension is illegal :v:
"Is a heathen a bad person?"
"Whoever can't respect God is not good."
"Then why not accuse your colleagues? You're a Shrine Warrior and Phantoms are forbidden."

"If Pentagram comdemn Phantoms will you accuse your friends?"
"They'll stop creating Phantoms."
Pfft yeah right.
"What if they don't..."
"Then I will judge them..."
"Are you going to kill them yourself?"
"That is my duty..."

"Is she considered good?"
"I believe so."
"Even if she violated the law in the process?"
"Unfortunately, the law will not forgive her."
"Then you would kill that mother?"
"If she didn't repent, I would."
"Even if her name was Shell Christi? Your mother..?"
:aaa:

"No, it's not... Shell used the Original Kartia. I was the witness..."
HOLY poo poo Do you know what this means? I know what this means. But do you? Think about what have been revealed so far by Vandor and you can make a pretty good guess as to
what exactly Lacryma's mother did. Get your detective hat on.

"I know it's hard... But it's the truth..."
"I'm a Shrine Warrior... I condemn heathens. But I'm a daughter of a heathen?"
Well, technically you're a daughter of two heathens. :v: Also your very being is heathen. And not because of your ancestry.
"Let me ask one more time... Can you kill your own mother?"
Well, Shell is kinda dead. How do you kill that, which have no life? :v:
"I don't know... I'm confused..."
"It's the people's will to decide what is good or bad."
"I don't know... I don't know anything..."
"Lacryma, help me create Eden."
"I can't... I don't know..."

"You don't have to decide now. When you decide, come to Nordia. I'll be waiting for you at the Imperial Encrypter School."

Oh boy, Lacryma got broken. Well she did turn out to be exactly what she condemns. So I'm guessing she'll have to readjust her beliefs.

Dude, what the gently caress, I can't follow subtext, read between the lines or remember any facts or make heads or tails through this poo poo. Help me out man.

Alright, so here is my theory: Lacryma died as a child and was resurrected by her mother.
Now it isn't said straight up, but there are several clues. So let's go through them in order shall we?

Back a few chapters ago, when Lacryma was talking to Kun about her past, she mentions how she was always sickly and frail as a child. Funny how that magically disappeared at some point and she could
train to become a Shrine Warrior. An occupation that is rather hard on the body you'd imagine.

Kainas alludes to Shell sacrificing herself to save her child. And in doing so she used an Original Kartia. Kainas also knows that the Original "Life" Kartia has been used.
Given how rare Original Kartia is, it's a world history event to even see one being used. So I imagine that Kainas doesn't see that many Originals being used.
Thus we can conclude that Shell used the Original "Life" Kartia to save her child. Kainas even says that he saw it.

Lacryma doesn't have siblings.

That explains how her frail and sickly nature disappeared. I mean it's an Original Kartia we're talking about here. They have God like effects.
So I imagine it would not only resurrect her, but also revive her body to peak and flawless condition. But this also solidify the fact that using an Original Kartia kills the user, considering Shell died.

HER SURNAME IS GOD DAMNED CHRISTI.

Conclusion: Lacryma was resurrected by her mother Shell.

So there you go. Next time, Beach Party. Bring your shorts and sunlotion.

[/b]Lacryma Episode 26 Chapter 13 pt.1[/b]

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Are the Bishop and the Inquirers aware of this?

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Pentagram certainly considers Lacryma special. But I think it's more because they know Kainas is a leading figure in Akueldo, and she could somehow screw Akueldo's plans up.
They also thought Lacryma was dead, but it was revealed that Aile had raised her in "secret". I think, they think that Lacryma's death was faked.
It's possible that Aile knows that Lacryma was resurrected, but I don't see why he would tell Pentagram considering he didn't even want them to know Lacryma was alive.

Consider this. Bachstail is now currently trying to figure out what the gently caress happened to the "Death" Kartia.
My theory is that the missing Kartia he is looking for is actually the "Life" Kartia. They both have a very similar designs
and the sketches of them are done in pencil only, with no coloring. The main difference between the "Life" and "Death" Kartia is their
color. So they could be easily exchanged based on sketches alone.

Bachstail's theory was that Aile killed Kainas with the "Death" Kartia, so he could become the legal guardian of Lacryma.
But it's almost completely reverse. I think that Aile helped Kainas cover up about Shell's death, Lacryma's resurrection and the now missing "Life" Kartia.
Oh man if only this game was set in a Detective Noir setting. :sigh: One can only dream.

So no, no one really knows.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It'll really suck if what Kainas has is half of the HUMectant Kartia.

But, yeah, wow, that's a pretty heavy truth bomb to drop on somebody. Also that's a hell of a price for Original Life.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
These upcoming few chapters are my favorite in the game. I don't want to be obnoxious with spoilers, but your thoughts are interesting to read in light of future events. I really like how the game handles the story from here on out, I'll be interested to see what you make of it. :)

A word of warning, Chapter 14 has a ton of cutscenes following the battle. It's plot/character-critical stuff too, so it might take several updates to get through. Which means several updates without one of Kartia's thrilling, action-packed battle levels. I know you're devastated.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I'll have you know all my of battles are intensely filled with action. :colbert: I mean, I have earth shaping magic crushing my enemies, intense fire spirits to melt steel beams and.. uh... Very cold ice?
Okey in all honesty, I'm kind of dreading the Action-packed Battle Levelstm, from a LP standpoint because there is only so many ways I can say "And when we murdered them because the game is easy and the AI is poo poo.". :v:

Speaking of the devil. It's time for an update for arbitrary reasons of my choosing.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 26 Chapter 13 pt.2

Turns out the whole Bait plan was a huge strategic failure as it was incredible predictable to the enemy.
I mean, what with Lacryma, the current chief of Vigilance, showing up with no escort for no apparent reason.
This is why we are the protagonists and why we should never, ever listen to NPC's.

We already know she won't be there, she is too busy being in jail.
Ironic, for someone who is so obsessed with keeping the law.
:v:

So here is how screen capping works in Kartia. Whenever you go "Hey, that's a good time to screen shot" Ele's ghost head shows up with phantom dialogue.
It's every time too! Damnit ghost Ele I'm doing a LP here :argh:

Troy is channeling me right now.

"Where's Lacryma?"
"I hope she wasn't captured..."

:goleft:
"What!? Lacryma has been captured?"
"What should we do? Should we surrender?"
"We'll join the Knights and beat them. Don't surrender!"

It's so refreshing when the villains aren't cartoon evil. Kainas's goals are to recreate his dead wife, and... err... hmm... What then exactly? Go reform a family with Lacryma?
I can't actually see that going so well. Either way he wants his own happiness and that includes Lacryma being alive, and sort of the clone of his dead wife.
Can I just tell you how loving weird that is? Super awkward at family reunions. :v:

"I agree. We don't have to surrender."
"But what about Lacryma?"
"If we're captured, who's going to rescue Lacryma? We should kill these guys and reunite with the Knights, Ok, Kun?"
"Ok..."

Bachstail has the right attitude, bitches be stealing our women and invading our land? We don't loving surrender, what are we? French The Knights? Get your act together and kick some rear end! :black101:

Right, so for this map, we don't have Lacryma. :ohdear: How are we going to manage?

I somehow missed capping a Doll Pardos, but in total there are 3 Pardosi and 6 Soldiers. Not exactly a huge opposition.
But that doesn't mean this map isn't tedious because of 1 large thing.

This large motherfucking lake is in our way, and if you remember the last time we had to deal with water, you know why this is terrible.
Fortunately for us we can also take advantage of this lake.

I didn't make any new items, but I did create a few more Garorks. They are gonna be instrumental in not breaking my patience and sanity like a twig.
First of, I park my Pardosi back here, they can't cross water period, and I'm not spamming Ice spells all day.
Then I position Ele and Bachstail to rush to the pots. All remaining forces are on Kickass duty.

Garorks are really, really good for this map, because they have a HUGE movement range. Look at this thing. It's totally bananas.

They can pretty much hit whatever they want, whenever they want.

And they can hit the Pardosi without fearing a counter attack as the Pardosi can't actually enter water. :v:

I of course take advantage of this fact.

Meanwhile, I pick up some paper with words on them and some Kartia of every type. Hooray :toot:

Unfortunately for everyone who isn't a Garork, this is going to be a slow rear end crawl through water, moving 2-3 squares per turn. :(

Wounding one the Pardos here will sometimes lure one of the soldiers down to heal it. I say sometimes, because the AI can be rather unpredictable.
From the few times I had to retry an Action-Packed Battle Level, as so eloquently put by someone in the thread. There had always been some minor differences in what the AI does. Sometimes it focuses a Phantom.
Sometimes it heals their own Phantoms. Sometimes it just loving instagibs your humans if you're not careful.

LacrymaChapter13battle.txt

I punish the filthy fleshbag for daring to get too close to the water. :coolfish:

To break the monotony and not to make things too easy, enemy reinforcements start to appear. Which of course are gonna be Garorks.

And now we speed poo poo up, because 3 turns of me moving through water and killing Garorks is not at all interesting. What is interesting is that a few of the soldiers will engage us while we are in the water.
Thankfully we can't actually get frozen stuck in the water. Though that would have been another cool idea for terrain and magic to interact.

Something something Ice puns? I have to admit all my Ice puns stem from that awful Batman movie. You know the one. Don't lie.

Troy says thanks for the Ice, on what would have otherwise been another hot summer day. In his own special way.

You know you're gonna win when the enemy is copying your old moves.

To pay tribute to my fans, I decide to show them the forbidden spell. It's not at all because the lowest common element resistance between them all is Earth. Again. :sigh:

And then I won, because the game is easy and the AI is poo poo. Well okey, I had to hunt down a rogue Garork reinforcement, because this game thinks that I'm going to lose to a 20 hp Garork.

Like so. Not pictured another soldier had a Text, but do you really care? I'm thinking you don't.

"No, we can't win."
"How do you know?"
Yeah, Bachstail we just kicked their lovely army in the butt. We could totally win. :colbert:
"Kun, it's suicide."
"Then you stay here, Troy."
"You're going to die."
"I don't care if I do... As long as I save Lacryma."
"You're so stupid!"
"What are you talking about?"

"Kun, be patient. We will find another way."
"Ok..."
All I'm hearing is "Don't go murder the enemy yet, we have more plot to exposition on. Don't worry, you'll murder everyone later." It seems kind of arbitrary, especially since we won hands down and haven't even come close to losing.

At the very least, the fishes are well fed. Wait... Are the fish in Rebus? Who cares, victory for us!

Yes that is 200 Silk 150 Mithril and 160 World Tree we have now. I'm not even kidding when I say I can't use all my Kartia unless I don't get any new Kartia from now on. And even then...

Either way, I'll cut the update here. To keep the terrible combat section insulated from the other excellent updates. :v: I'm kidding, I'm just lazy.

Lacryma Episode 25 Chapter 13 pt.2

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

This thread needs a new page like Troy needs a slap in the mouth.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Don't delay, slap Troy in the mouth today! :v:

*slap*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I still don't really have any idea where this is going, but I'm definitely enjoying the journey now.

• Locked thread