Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sounds like y'all really can't get enough of the D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I certainly can't.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Turns out the animator expo season 1 shorts were pulled from the website because they're starting a theatrical run in July, screening all 13 in one go at places across Japan. That's cool and I hope the project persists going forward as an outlet for people to make weird side projects with the chance for wider exposure than they would ever get just like, making a 60 second animation on YouTube or niconico.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But also, gently caress you Khara and Anno, finish the drat rebuilds!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Probably the most notable thing about the VHD novels are the covers and internal art by Yoshitaka Amano.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Rodyle posted:

Sounds like y'all really can't get enough of the D

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

In Training posted:

Turns out the animator expo season 1 shorts were pulled from the website because they're starting a theatrical run in July, screening all 13 in one go at places across Japan. That's cool and I hope the project persists going forward as an outlet for people to make weird side projects with the chance for wider exposure than they would ever get just like, making a 60 second animation on YouTube or niconico.

I hope this becomes big and also a regular thing.

And thanks for the updates on the shows that are being announced for streaming.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

WickedHate posted:

It's just the impression I got from it looking like it had a close art style, though not as good honestly(Hellsing is pretty much perfect). I was asking because I don't know much about it.

Hellsing's art focuses on the crazy ultra-violent action and gore, Vampire Hunter D, not so much; the artistry is in its setting, it's got some pretty interesting world building aspects to it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

It's just the impression I got from it looking like it had a close art style, though not as good honestly(Hellsing is pretty much perfect). I was asking because I don't know much about it.

quote:

Vampire Hunter D (吸血鬼バンパイアハンターD Bampaia Hantā Dī?) is a series of Japanese novels written by Hideyuki Kikuchi and illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano since 1983.

quote:

Hellsing (ヘルシング Herushingu?) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Kouta Hirano. It first premiered in Young King Ours in 1997

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

1985 animated film
One of the first anime films released outside of Japan, Vampire Hunter D remains a cult classic among English-speaking audiences.

quote:

Following the release of the Hellsing manga, Gonzo produced a thirteen episode anime series that uses the same characters and settings, but narrates a different story from its source manga. Written by Chiaki J. Konaka and directed by Umanosuke Iida, the series premiered on Fuji Television on December 27, 2003 and ran until its conclusion on February 16, 2004.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Geass Akito3 subs are out motherfuckers

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Is Vampire Hunter D anything other than a poor man's Hellsing?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Something coming first doesn't stop it from being a poor man's version of something else.

Compendium posted:

Hellsing's art focuses on the crazy ultra-violent action and gore, Vampire Hunter D, not so much; the artistry is in its setting, it's got some pretty interesting world building aspects to it.

Neat! It sounds georgous.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Hellsing Ultimate are both good.

If you like vampires you should watch both of them.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Bad Seafood posted:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Hellsing Ultimate are both good.

If you like vampires you should watch both of them.

So here is the real question, is their an abridged version of VHD that is even half as rad as the HU abridged?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The great thing about Hellsing Ultimate Abridged is that's basically all canon, but funnier. Team Four Star gets characters so well.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Soup posted:

I'll probably give it a miss then. Not a huge violence fan, I thought it would be more of a light shounen action affair.

It is. 80s shonen tends to be both very silly and very gory.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Can't say Hellsing Ultimate fared well on a recent rewatch. It's kinda garbage.

Bloodlust, however, is always entertaining; good world building, beautifully animated. Hilarious voice acting.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hagop posted:

So here is the real question, is their an abridged version of VHD that is even half as rad as the HU abridged?
Vampire Hunter D is "Only" two movies so probably not.

Even if there were, few things stand up to Hellsing Abridged.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CuLT posted:

Can't say Hellsing Ultimate fared well on a recent rewatch. It's kinda garbage.

All the reaction gifs from before, but more serious.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also I love Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D about equally but... literally the only things they have in common are brooding vampire antiheroes and action :confused: Hellsing is way way less serious and ~fabulous~ than D

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

All the reaction gifs from before, but more serious.

I loved the original series at 15, and even enjoyed the OVAs when they were coming out, but man, the last few really were just a bunch of still frames and the plot totally unravels into nonsense.

Now, Vampire Hunter D? That's a serious anime film with gravitas and vampire moon rockets.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
For me, Hellsing only gets better every time I go through it again, honestly. Goddamn I love that series.

The old anime though...that was pretty bad.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

WickedHate posted:

For me, Hellsing only gets better every time I go through it again, honestly. Goddamn I love that series.

The old anime though...that was pretty bad.

Insert obligatory defense of the original series' soundtrack

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

The ultraviolence, depravity and art style probably used to be enough to carry it for me. Now I watch it and I see plot and pacing issues, as well as a progressive decline in animation quality. Not like I'm saying it's objectively bad or anything, as I said, I enjoyed it as it was coming out.

Knorth posted:

Insert obligatory defense of the original series' soundtrack

Truth, and the parts of the OVA that still stand out for me are the rare occasions tracks from the original series turn up.

Edit: like this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_rovwoKlIY

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Something coming first doesn't stop it from being a poor man's version of something else.
uhm, hrm

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

uhm, hrm

Well, Go Bots technically came before Transformers.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Well, Go Bots technically came before Transformers.

G1 Transformers were just Diaclone/Microchange toys rebranded by Hasbro.

tbh i feel like poor man's as an idiom just requires something as a standard, rather than needing to come before or after. so Go Bots are a poor man's Transformers, but VHD isn't related enough to Hellsing to even use the phrase.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Lurking Haro posted:

They wrote out the breast weight for the female characters. Now my hugpillow wife will be perfect!

I'm kinda assuming the smaller masses are just their weights while in weapon form?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What's wrong with the animation quality in later Hellsing? I've only seen through Seras vs. Zorin animated, but it looks pretty stellar at least through that, and there's only 3 more episodes after (I just haven't bothered watching it because the ending kinda didn't grab me in the manga).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Crunchyroll is streaming Aoharu x Machinegun and Miss Monochrome S2 in the US and Canada.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-06-30/crunchyroll-to-stream-aoharu-x-machinegun-miss-monochrome-2nd-season/.89924

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Fangz posted:

I'm kinda assuming the smaller masses are just their weights while in weapon form?

Nope, written out specifically as 乳重/breastweight.
The flat cowgirl from an earlier update has 0.1 kg. Don't ask me how that's possible to measure.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dogsicle posted:

G1 Transformers were just Diaclone/Microchange toys rebranded by Hasbro.

tbh i feel like poor man's as an idiom just requires something as a standard, rather than needing to come before or after. so Go Bots are a poor man's Transformers, but VHD isn't related enough to Hellsing to even use the phrase.

I know, and I didn't know that, so I asked. Everyone is taking my comment way more hostile than it was intended. :(

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 1, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

What's wrong with the animation quality in later Hellsing? I've only seen through Seras vs. Zorin animated, but it looks pretty stellar at least through that, and there's only 3 more episodes after (I just haven't bothered watching it because the ending kinda didn't grab me in the manga).
I wasn't too keen on Hellsing's ending as it was coming out, month-to-month, but having since collected the whole series and reread it from start to finish in one sitting, I rather like it now.

I'm sure I sound like a broken record by this point, but I really do advise rereading certain series from time to time. I can't tell you how many times I've noticed something new or had something else come together for me. I'm not saying it'll arbitrarily improve your opinion of the series in question - in fact, sometimes it'll do just the opposite - but it can be a worthwhile exercise if you've got the time. Good.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Seafood posted:

I wasn't too keen on Hellsing's ending as it was coming out, month-to-month, but having since collected the whole series and reread it from start to finish in one sitting, I rather like it now.

This is how I saw it, though the dub for the final episodes wasn't out and I decided to switch to the manga instead of watching the subs. Most of Hellsing takes place over like, night, that's probably agonizing streatched over years. It sure did take awhile for such a short series.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lurking Haro posted:

Nope, written out specifically as 乳重/breastweight.
The flat cowgirl from an earlier update has 0.1 kg. Don't ask me how that's possible to measure.

very carefully

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you think hellsing takes long, try reading akagi

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

WickedHate posted:

This is how I saw it, though the dub for the final episodes wasn't out and I decided to switch to the manga instead of watching the subs. Most of Hellsing takes place over like, night, that's probably agonizing streatched over years. It sure did take awhile for such a short series.
It didn't help that sometimes you'd just get twelve pages of difficult to follow action with flames and souls and things all flailing and writhing and sorry that's the end of the chapter, see you in a month.

The fight between Seras and the Captain is awesome when you can just burn through the whole thing in one go, but spaced out over a period of several months it was like "Wow, just kill him already."

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Should I be watching Gatchaman Crowds (since it's out now)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Should I be watching Gatchaman Crowds (since it's out now)?

yes
e: actually you skip ep12 and watch the director's cut finale instead

• Locked thread