Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

I thought Australia was a Fascist shithole now?

:thejoke:

Does it have a chance of passing?

Based om some quick googling, it appears that there is still significant opposition. Most of the MPs with a declared position are for, though the 'against' people are in many cases the current ruling government. But there are a large number of unknowns/undecided; Enough to tip the vote either way. Along party lines, it looks clearly against, so there is some pressure to allow a "conscience vote", whereby MP can vote freed from party politics on the matter.

Momentum seems to be growing for the pro-marriage equality side, but it looks doubtful (but not impossible) that it comes this august.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Obama hasn't quite finished his victory lap. Scroll down for a short video of him twisting the knife some more.

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/06/president-obama-on-white-house-lit-up-in-rainbow-colors-thats-a-moment-worth-savoring-watch/

e: For a one minute clip, there's a ton of places in the video where his face is just so loving smug.

Bethamphetamine fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 1, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Do It Once Right posted:

Obama hasn't quite finished his victory lap. Scroll down for a short video of him twisting the knife some more.

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/06/president-obama-on-white-house-lit-up-in-rainbow-colors-thats-a-moment-worth-savoring-watch/

Linked from there is George Takei calling out Donald Trump on his "traditional marriage" belief.

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/06/george-takei-donald-trump-doesnt-really-believe-in-traditional-marriage-video/

“I think Donald’s Trump interpretation of marriage is something he doesn’t really believe in….I think he’s a business man. He will go with the wind. He’s saying [that he believes in traditional marriage] because he’s got to win the Republican primary and his base is really the far right wing…I think he’s capable of saying anything that will be good business.”

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Do It Once Right posted:

Something like this makes me feel like he's aware of all the "Antichrist" nonsense some paranoid people say about him and he's just poking fun at them.

Which isn't a bad thing. :q:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Get your poo poo together Texas

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20150629-interactive-map-how-texas-counties-are-handling-same-sex-marriage-licenses.ece

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It might be worth mentioning that a lot of those are apparently practical issues like not having the right forms and stuff...unless they're just saying that. Very few will admit to having a religious objection.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Here in FL we still don't have the right forms and we've had marriage since Feb.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't understand the forms issue. How hard is it to scratch out "wife" and write "hunk#2 or whatever"

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Here in FL we still don't have the right forms and we've had marriage since Feb.

January. Six whole months and my straight marriage hasn't fallen apart yet; what gives?!

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Florida Betty posted:

January. Six whole months and my straight marriage hasn't fallen apart yet; what gives?!

You just haven't met the right gay hunk/sultry lesbian who will seduce you away.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

I don't understand the forms issue. How hard is it to scratch out "wife" and write "hunk#2 or whatever"

They just say "Applicant" and "Joint Applicant" here, which seems insane to not do.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

modifying forms like that is questionable legally, and there's also the computer systems that people convert the forms to. there are legitimate reasons why it's tricky if you want to make 100% sure these two people get considered married in the eyes of the law.

I mean, these places should be doing everything to accommodate, like maybe setting up an unofficial list to put in when the computer systems update. but the lack of proper forms is understandable considering gay marriage went from illegal to legal in an instant with no grace period to let people get things ready.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't see why you wouldn't just put both names in the unmodified form and then send out a corrected version later.

Was the computer system programmed by some fundy to error out with "John is not a woman's name, document deleted, sinner"

I mean, I get bureaucracy takes time, but oral arguments were in loving March and marriage bans have gotten overturned in state after state for two years, anyone who isn't purposely foot-dragging has had plenty of time to prepare for this very obvious possibility.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I try not to be too blatant about my own beliefs but I believe it's time once again to Hail Gay Satan

quote:

Right Wing Watch posted:

Roy Moore's Lawyer Demands Alabama Defy 'Wicked' SCOTUS Ruling, Choose 'God Or Satan'

The head of Alabama’s court system, an employee of notoriously anti-gay Chief Justice Roy Moore, has sent a letter to Gov. Robert Bentley and other state elected officials urging them to defy the Supreme Court’s marriage equality ruling or else “become complicit in the takeover by the wicked,” reports AL.com.

Public officials are ministers of God assigned the duty of punishing the wicked and protecting the righteous,” Win Johnson, director of legal staff at the state’s Administrative Office of the Court, wrote to the elected officials in a letter obtained by the newspaper. “If the public officials decide to officially approve of the acts of the wicked, they must logically not protect the righteous from the wicked. In fact, they must become protectors of the wicked. You cannot serve two masters; you must pick – God or Satan.”

Morter fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 1, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Edit: Looks like I was wrong. Perryton is just waiting on forms/software updates.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 1, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Really? I figured it was because men were in charge of those laws and some of them just wanted to marry 13 year old girls.

At least one state (Utah, I think) had a lower drinking age for women than men, until it was struck down by the supreme court.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krysmphoenix posted:

make 100% sure these two people get considered married in the eyes of the law.

If I were getting my gay marriage on in one of these states, I would be worried about "oh, no, that wasn't legal" later on from amended forms. I sure wouldn't take "we'll fix it up later" on faith.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

evilweasel posted:

At least one state (Utah, I think) had a lower drinking age for women than men, until it was struck down by the supreme court.

Montana had it that way too. Since women mature faster was the logic. Mom said it just lead to the guys asking their female classmates to buy them beer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So has anyone ever asked these religious people what the deal is when straight atheists or spooky Muslims ask for marriage certificates? Like is God okay with that?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

evilweasel posted:

It was Oklahoma's that was struck down by the Supremes - Craig v. Boren

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

joat mon posted:

It was Oklahoma's that was struck down by the Supremes - Craig v. Boren

Thank you for the image of a 100ft tall Diana Ross kicking over the state capitol building.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

OwlFancier posted:

Thank you for the image of a 100ft tall Diana Ross kicking over the state capitol building.

From 1976*, the date of Craig v. Boren, to 2002 the state capitol building had no dome. Maybe it was missing because of a 100 ft tall Diana Ross. :tinfoil:

*Actually, there was no dome on the Capitol from its completion in 1917 to 1976 either.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

"Boss, I've finished that review of our development needs for #system and I've noticed that there's an extra validation in this system - that was developed a decade ago - that has gender validation for any marriage."

"And?"

"Well gay marriage might be legal in three months. We'll need $50,000 to have the software developer make the required changes to the system and it'll take at least a few months if we want to do it on the cheap. This way it'll be done, tested and deployed in time by the end of the SCOTUS session."

"While you are demonstrating incredible foresight for an IT manager, I am a senior government level administrator in a red state and you want me to tack $50,000 on to the budjet for software changes to accommodate gay marriage when gay marriage is banned under the state constitution? I like my job."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Antti posted:

I am a senior government level administrator... I like my job."

Does not compute.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Context: A circuit clerk in Mississippi (surprise, surprise) has resigned rather than do her job.

a clerk's office employee posted:

"We need to know what forms to use, how are we to do it, what laws to follow, what to do if they're under 18, where are we on all this? We're just clerks, we don't make decisions of law. The mandate hasn't even been given by the Supreme Court to go forward."

I dunno, how about the same thing you do for literally everyone else? Or are gays governed by their own separate set of laws? MADNESS. Cats and dogs living together, rivers of blood, rain of frogs, RAIN OF FROGS

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TheKennedys posted:

Context: A circuit clerk in Mississippi (surprise, surprise) has resigned rather than do her job.

I dunno, how about the same thing you do for literally everyone else? Or are gays governed by their own separate set of laws? MADNESS. Cats and dogs living together, rivers of blood, rain of frogs, RAIN OF FROGS

"What do we do if a man wants to marry a dog, or a tree?? I don't even know :derp:"

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Lol

quote:

"I was kind of shocked, I don't know her personally but I never thought she was that way," Harbin said. "She's given marriage licenses to people who have committed adultery and stolen and lied, and when their parents haven't approved... it's just crazy the way she's thinking. That's her job and she's not there to judge people."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not issuing a license on the basis that you don't have valid paperwork is understandable, no point giving people something that might not be valid, but I don't think you need to resign because of that? Just say "I want the right paperwork and I'm not going to commit fraud by using paperwork I know is wrong."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That wasn't a quote from the person who resigned, it was from someone who is refusing to issue any licenses. The one who quit was ranting about the Bible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just read the article.

I agree with the clerks worried about paperwork because I can entirely imagine some bitter rear end in a top hat trying to get all licenses issued with outdated paperwork declared invalid, just out of spite.

But yeah crazy bible lady is daft.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Eh, if they're willing to resign to protect their bigotry, let 'em. Its a far better outcome than trying to resist the law and hang on to their jobs while refusing to do them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jivjov posted:

Eh, if they're willing to resign to protect their bigotry, let 'em. Its a far better outcome than trying to resist the law and hang on to their jobs while refusing to do them.
Yeah, that's the appropriate way to handle this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, that's the appropriate way to handle this.

Well..the appropriate way is to realize that one's religious beliefs have zero bearing on one's government job...but this is second best.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TheKennedys posted:

Well considering she's from Billy Graham's circle, I suspect she smelled a way to make money as a :siren:MARTYR FOR CHRIST.:siren:

Expect her to be a talking head on Fox any day now.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TheKennedys posted:

It's worse than that, gay law is now the law of the land.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Gayia Law has come to America.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So I've heard whispers that Bobby Jindal may have in fact used his office of the governor in just the right way that opens up the office of the governor for a discrimination lawsuit. Any truth to this? Other than my friend who's an attorney.

I did some actual research on the legal powers of the governor and there are actually laws against using the office for illegal means. Kind of wonder if he went a bit to far and when the lawsuit's are coming.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

So I've heard whispers that Bobby Jindal may have in fact used his office of the governor in just the right way that opens up the office of the governor for a discrimination lawsuit. Any truth to this? Other than my friend who's an attorney.

I did some actual research on the legal powers of the governor and there are actually laws against using the office for illegal means. Kind of wonder if he went a bit to far and when the lawsuit's are coming.

The ACLU and a few plantiffs(sic) have filed suit over his Marriage Bullshit Bullshit or whatever. Here you go.

quote:

Under the Louisiana Constitution, the governor is not authorized to create a substantive right by executive order. The “Marriage and Conscience Order” creates substantive rights in favor of those who oppose marriage equality, and therefore is invalid.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This will work and every county will obey it...oh who are we kidding

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20150701-5th-circuit-to-texas-allow-gay-marriage-because-supreme-court-says-so.ece

quote:

JACKSON, Miss. — A federal appeals court is telling judges in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas they must allow gay marriage because the U.S. Supreme Court says so.

The ruling Wednesday by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals instructs federal district judges to conclude cases in those states by legalizing the practice in line with last week’s Supreme Court ruling.

The move clears one of the final procedural roadblocks in the three cases, which had been pending before the New Orleans-based court. The 5th Circuit had heard arguments in the appeals but hadn’t ruled.

People seeking legalization of same-sex marriage had won cases in Mississippi and Texas, but lost in Louisiana.

The appeals court is removing its block on the cases and telling district judges to move quickly to issue final rulings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Wubbles posted:

I'm just beside myself with disappointment. I didn't get to go to NYC Pride this weekend because the friend I was gonna go with got sick. Historic joy, and I missed it. :(

Why didn't you go anyway dude no one there is going to even notice that you are there by yourself and you might make some new friends.

• Locked thread