Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Alter Ego posted:

Truman took it in either the White House or the Capitol (can't remember which). LBJ took the oath on Air Force One though.

Yeah, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

If it's wrong to eat beef and drink whiskey through the rectum, I don't want to be right. :colbert:

Hell it wasn't even that, they could have just sown up the bullet hole and then crammed as much beef and whiskey up his rear end as you want and he'd have completed his presidency.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Another fun one: two people are tied for taking the Presidential oath of office the most times. Which two?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Barack Obama and FDR both took it three times.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

greatn posted:

Wait had we not moved the inauguration up to January by 1944?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

greatn posted:

They both took it four times. Obama did it twice in 2009 due to Roberts loving it up and twice again in 2013.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Joementum posted:

They both took it four times. Obama did it twice in 2009 due to Roberts loving it up and twice again in 2013.

And why didn't he take it five times? ... Really makes you think.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Okay, I remember the gently caress up first term, but what happened in '13?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

site posted:

The official ceremony was held inside the White House and then they did a ceremonial one during the inauguration.

He was probably lip syncing during the ceremony.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

site posted:

Inauguration Day fell on a Sunday, so he did a private ceremony and then had the big event on the 21st.

e: drat YOU JOEMENTUM

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gen. Ripper posted:

Inauguration Day fell on a Sunday, so he did a private ceremony and then had the big event on the 21st.

Hah! I didn't know they did that because it was a Sunday, but that's exactly the kind of stupid reason that they would.

On a similar note: Franklin Pierce was the only President to affirm, rather than swear the oath.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Hah! I didn't know they did that because it was a Sunday, but that's exactly the kind of stupid reason that they would.

On a similar note: Franklin Pierce was the only President to affirm, rather than swear the oath.

Looks like all those conservatives were right about atheists.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

It's understandable. There's no reason to remember Chester A. Arthur, our mutton-choppiest President.

Uhh excuse me, the man owned over five hundred pairs of pants. If that's not a reason to remember a fellow, I don't know what is.

plus debatably he's our only other VT president, if he wasn't actually from Canada

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
I hope I live long enough for someone to say "no" when they do the pledge, the reactions would be great.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

If it's wrong to eat beef and drink whiskey through the rectum, I don't want to be right. :colbert:

that we once shoved whiskey and beef bullion up a President's butt until he died will never not be funny.

I mean, for the family and the nation, it was tragic.

But say that sentence out loud. Its hilarious.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Another fun one: two people are tied for taking the Presidential oath of office the most times. Which two?

Question for you, Joe: Which Presidents have violated that oath?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Fried Chicken posted:

that we once shoved whiskey and beef bullion up a President's butt until he died will never not be funny.

I mean, for the family and the nation, it was tragic.

But say that sentence out loud. Its hilarious.

Who did it to him, the CIA?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Some nice folks turned out to see the Presidential motorcade leave Nashville tonight.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Uhh excuse me, the man owned over five hundred pairs of pants. If that's not a reason to remember a fellow, I don't know what is.

plus debatably he's our only other VT president, if he wasn't actually from Canada

Rafael Cruz's spiritual ancestor.

...Literal ancestor? :ohdear:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Some nice folks turned out to see the Presidential motorcade leave Nashville tonight.

Not that I think people should be punished for just waving a flag, but that seems almost treasonous to me.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not that I think people should be punished for just waving a flag, but that seems almost treasonous to me.

Very least confusing with the dude dual wielding the traitor flag and the marine flag.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Joementum posted:

I like the woman in the middle. Committed enough to wave that tiny flag around at the President, but also eager to record the time the President visited her town :patriot:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DemeaninDemon posted:

Very least confusing with the dude dual wielding the traitor flag and the marine flag.

It's a callback to the 2013 shutdown march!

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Also, leg braces and rollerskates?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nah, just being assholes.

Obama should've mooned them though!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I'm serious about Garfield's death being a tragedy for the nation BTW. He entered office with a plan to beat back the rose of Jim Crow and build from the Civil Rights Act of 1875 to push for racial equality.

But then he was assassinated and Arthur didn't care about the issue and the SCOTUS ruled the CRA of 1875 unconstitutional and history played out as it did. It's an intriguing counterfactual though, what if the big steps forward we made on race in the 60s had happened 80 years prior? Where would we be now?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm serious about Garfield's death being a tragedy for the nation BTW. He entered office with a plan to beat back the rose of Jim Crow and build from the Civil Rights Act of 1875 to push for racial equality.

But then he was assassinated and Arthur didn't care about the issue and the SCOTUS ruled the CRA of 1875 unconstitutional and history played out as it did. It's an intriguing counterfactual though, what if the big steps forward we made on race in the 60s had happened 80 years prior? Where would we be now?

On the plus side his death forced a major reform of the civil service which was probably the major reason why corruption is kept to a minimum here (at least compared to [developing country of your choice]).

Oh also Plessy v Ferguson was like 15 years after he was elected so he probably wouldn't have done much.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

You know, I'm pretty sure that in any other context, waving the Confederate flag outside the home of a black family while telling them to get out of here would be regarded as an intensely threatening act. But given that it's the president we have to pretend that isn't exactly what was going on there.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

You know, I'm pretty sure that in any other context, waving the Confederate flag outside the home of a black family while telling them to get out of here would be regarded as an intensely threatening act. But given that it's the president we have to pretend that isn't exactly what was going on there.

While he was waving those around, Larry Klayman was yards away yelling into a bullhorn for Obama to "put the Koran down and come out with your hands up" so that he could citizen-impeach him and try him before a jury of the march's attendees.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

computer parts posted:

On the plus side his death forced a major reform of the civil service which was probably the major reason why corruption is kept to a minimum here (at least compared to [developing country of your choice]).

Oh also Plessy v Ferguson was like 15 years after he was elected so he probably wouldn't have done much.

Yeah but his appointments to the court and the lower courts could have changed the makeup, blocked assholes from White from getting appointed, etc, and prevented Plessy v Ferguson. You never know.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The tea bagging former teacher I have on facebook posted this and then a video of a black guy saying why Democrats are the real racist party, then later posted one of those dumb ecards along the lines of "oh what you say is free speech but what I say is bigoted? I see how it is."

It's all so dumb and I just have to resist replying to him with "yes, when you use free speech to demand gays not get equal rights, or that a state keep flying a flag they put up as a response to the civil rights, you're being an rear end in a top hat and a bigot" but Jesus himself would have his work cut out getting this guy to pay attention.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So this is possibly not a USPol question, but... what exactly is HuffPo's purpose?

Ariana Huffington was a loving hardcore right-winger up till about the start of the Iraq War and they push a lot of conspiracy theorism and woo, on top of doing things like hyping the gently caress out of Bernie Sanders (which I'm understanding is a right-wing media thing because a significant challenger candidate makes Hillary look weak). Is it sincere, is it intended to simply fleece liberals, or is it intended to torpedo the American left even further by associating them with "toxic" causes?

Huffington Post was created by her and others (including motherfucking Breitbart) to basically be a leftwing Drudge Report IIRC. Probably with the idea that Drudge's traffic + actual revenue plans would make them a shitload of money (it would) but Huffington's just insane period and egotistical as all hell.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

They were tap dancing all over the line and they knew it. The only way to make the message any more obvious involved nooses, flaming crosses and white hoods.

It was the equivalent of a five year old holding his finger a quarter inch away from his sister's nose while yelling "I'm not touching you" over and over.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

"Hey Buddy, the US Marines would be shooting at the Confederates"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hang the first one of them you can get your hands on to the first tree you can find.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They were tap dancing all over the line and they knew it. The only way to make the message any more obvious involved nooses, flaming crosses and white hoods.

It was the equivalent of a five year old holding his finger a quarter inch away from his sister's nose while yelling "I'm not touching you" over and over.

When my siblings tried that poo poo I smacked them in the goddamn head (and vice versa) and my parents were like "too bad, you were asking for it, next time don't antagonize each other" so we learned that lesson quickly. I guess taking a violation in spirit as a violation in letter isn't as thoughtfully received when it's the President firing Reconstruction back up to finish the loving job.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

It would have been cheaper to buy oaktag and magic markers and write signs that say "WE ARE HUMAN GARBAGE, PLEASE IGNORE US".

Would have gotten the same point across, anyway.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

It would have been cheaper to buy oaktag and magic markers and write signs that say "WE ARE HUMAN GARBAGE, PLEASE IGNORE US".

Would have gotten the same point across, anyway.

If they were being honest they would have brought signs emblazoned with that word which polite society and Political Correctness Gone Mad(R) has cruelly taken away from them.

Have some mental mouthwash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-5uyp44WA

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Thankfully flag code doesn't apply to that rag.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DemeaninDemon posted:

Thankfully flag code doesn't apply to that rag.

Pretty sure it doesn't apply to the rebel flag either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

HuffPo is by and for the rich as gently caress liberal elite that poor conservatives always bitch about. I don't think it's some 11th dimensional chess Trojan horse but I do think it hurts leftist causes more than it helps anything. It's like the liberal version of FoxNews, just less outright disconnected from reality.

And I think Huffington just saw an unexploited demographic more than she has any kind of ideology or principles.

They used to call those people Rockefeller Republicans, because they were moderate- or liberal-leaning on social justice causes before being purged from the party during the Reagan era.

Also, I'm pretty sure Ariana Huffington's real political change-over was when her husband dumped her when he came out of the closet.

• Locked thread