Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Most of this global economics poo poo goes right over my head, is there anywhere I can find a good primer?

Just found that The Complete Idiot's Guide to Economics, 2nd Edition is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I can save you a bunch of research. In international trade, a trade surplus or deficit should not be allowed to exist even in the short term. Source - Keynesian economics. Why? See trade imbalance and unrepayable debt.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Most of this global economics poo poo goes right over my head, is there anywhere I can find a good primer?

Just found that The Complete Idiot's Guide to Economics, 2nd Edition is a thing.

Go and read "Eat the Rich" by P.J. O'Rourke. A bit out-dated and you won't learn much, but you will be at least entertained while reading a book about economics.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Don't do that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_important_publications_in_economics

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

I'm sure the list will change again soon but that first book looks out of place

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Calls for Liberal same-sex marriage supporters to resign 'not helpful', Christopher Pyne says

Senior federal minister Christopher Pyne said it was "not helpful" for one of his colleagues to suggest Liberal frontbenchers who support same-sex marriage should resign as ministers.

Leader of the Government in the Senate Eric Abetz argued yesterday that ministers who wanted to vote for legalising gay marriage should quit the frontbench.

Mr Abetz's comments were part of the backlash from Liberal Party conservatives who were against plans to introduce a same-sex marriage bill to Parliament in August, with cross-party sponsorship.

Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull, Environment Minister Greg Hunt and Assistant Treasurer Josh Frydenberg have all publicly supported legalising same-sex marriage.

"The Prime Minister's made it absolutely clear many times that everyone can have a different view on this matter and their views need to be respected," Mr Pyne told Channel Nine.

Mr Pyne also made light of Senator Abetz's concern that giving legal recognition to same-sex marriage would "open a Pandora's box for all sorts of other potential possibilities" including "polyamory, clearly".

"I'm not sure I know what polyamory is, but it doesn't sound very attractive," he said.

Trade Minister Andrew Robb said same-sex marriage was "a 20th-order issue" for most Australians.

"None of the millions of families out there who are concerned about their jobs and paying the bills will thank us for being preoccupied for weeks and weeks with this issue," the former Liberal Party campaign director said.

"If we take it up it could distract us for weeks and a couple of months."

Labor frontbencher Anthony Albanese attacked Mr Abetz's latest comments.

"Eric Abetz's views don't have a place in modern Australia," he said on Channel Nine.

Mr Albanese said he expected a bill to legalise same-sex marriage to be introduced in the second half of the year.

"I suspect when it does it will be carried and we'll all move on," Mr Albanese said.

About 83 of the 123 members of the Government are publicly opposed to changing the definition of marriage.

Liberal proponents of same-sex marriage now want to wait until Parliament resumes in August to debate the issue, to avoid weeks of divisive debate over the winter break.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-03/same-sex-marriage-comments-not-helpful-pyne/6592396

there's also a table of LNP by support/opposition of same sex marriage, but the oppose section is too long for a screenshot.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Birb Katter posted:

I'm sure the list will change again soon but that first book looks out of place

It's already gone?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

QUACKTASTIC posted:

It's already gone?

I didn't really edit Battlelines into the page, just modified my version. Wikipedia shouldn't suffer for a stupid joke.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Calls for Liberal same-sex marriage supporters to resign 'not helpful', Christopher Pyne says

Senior federal minister Christopher Pyne said it was "not helpful" for one of his colleagues to suggest Liberal frontbenchers who support same-sex marriage should resign as ministers.

Leader of the Government in the Senate Eric Abetz argued yesterday that ministers who wanted to vote for legalising gay marriage should quit the frontbench.

Mr Abetz's comments were part of the backlash from Liberal Party conservatives who were against plans to introduce a same-sex marriage bill to Parliament in August, with cross-party sponsorship.

Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull, Environment Minister Greg Hunt and Assistant Treasurer Josh Frydenberg have all publicly supported legalising same-sex marriage.

"The Prime Minister's made it absolutely clear many times that everyone can have a different view on this matter and their views need to be respected," Mr Pyne told Channel Nine.

Mr Pyne also made light of Senator Abetz's concern that giving legal recognition to same-sex marriage would "open a Pandora's box for all sorts of other potential possibilities" including "polyamory, clearly".

"I'm not sure I know what polyamory is, but it doesn't sound very attractive," he said.

Trade Minister Andrew Robb said same-sex marriage was "a 20th-order issue" for most Australians.

"None of the millions of families out there who are concerned about their jobs and paying the bills will thank us for being preoccupied for weeks and weeks with this issue," the former Liberal Party campaign director said.

"If we take it up it could distract us for weeks and a couple of months."

Labor frontbencher Anthony Albanese attacked Mr Abetz's latest comments.

"Eric Abetz's views don't have a place in modern Australia," he said on Channel Nine.

Mr Albanese said he expected a bill to legalise same-sex marriage to be introduced in the second half of the year.

"I suspect when it does it will be carried and we'll all move on," Mr Albanese said.

About 83 of the 123 members of the Government are publicly opposed to changing the definition of marriage.

Liberal proponents of same-sex marriage now want to wait until Parliament resumes in August to debate the issue, to avoid weeks of divisive debate over the winter break.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-03/same-sex-marriage-comments-not-helpful-pyne/6592396

there's also a table of LNP by support/opposition of same sex marriage, but the oppose section is too long for a screenshot.

I've seen a couple of articles lately where between the lines Pyne seems to be saying there should be a conscience vote. Is he seeing the writing on the wall and positioning himself to take a shot at the leadership if Abbott gets the boot?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Senor Tron posted:

I've seen a couple of articles lately where between the lines Pyne seems to be saying there should be a conscience vote. Is he seeing the writing on the wall and positioning himself to take a shot at the leadership if Abbott gets the boot?

Forget Pyne, the milquetoast gently caress, let's make Abetz leader and get this race to the bottom over with.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

He's setting himself up to be reasonable, but he quotes Tony in that article about being reasonable anyhow.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dutton or bust.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Lionhelm for LNP PM. He got in on the regular ticket because people didn't notice he wasn't LNP so why should the LNP do anything other than represent the electorate and vote him to the top job?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Frogmanv2 posted:

All that takes is for you fucker to hit ignore and stop responding to him.

I realise these simple actions are beyond most of you.

I do have him on ignore. Unfortunately others tend to quote him quite a bit and I end up seeing his posts anyway.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Senor Tron posted:

He's joining Alan Jones in being pro-same sex marriage for reasons.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Pynes gotta change his views to lap up votes e.g. Kevin Rudd

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I've just moved into his electorate and man am I looking forward to directly voting against him.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Senor Tron posted:

I've just moved into his electorate and man am I looking forward to directly voting against him.

It really never struck me as a Liberal voting electorate, let alone one with such a large margin until I randomly went for a late-night drive there about a month ago and ended up in some strange gated community with enormous houses on top of a hill overlooking the city. It seems like there are quite a few millionaires scattered around.

It looks like the swing would have to be pretty huge for him to lose his seat unfortunately, because the :qq: would be magnificent.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Vladimir Poutine posted:

It really never struck me as a Liberal voting electorate, let alone one with such a large margin until I randomly went for a late-night drive there about a month ago and ended up in some strange gated community with enormous houses on top of a hill overlooking the city. It seems like there are quite a few millionaires scattered around.

It looks like the swing would have to be pretty huge for him to lose his seat unfortunately, because the :qq: would be magnificent.

Is Burnside in Sturt? Where that gigantic loving sandcastle mansion is? the family that owns all the convenience stores?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

And I've said it before, but the worse he does in his portfolio the better he'll do in his electorate, because the UniSA Magill campus is the only real focus of left-leaning votes in the area.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

what the gently caress posted:

Is Burnside in Sturt? Where that gigantic loving sandcastle mansion is? the family that owns all the convenience stores?

Yeah. It also contains a bunch of northern suburbs that I would have assumed would primarily vote Labor, but I think the rich areas more than cancel that out.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Senor Tron posted:

Hey neighbour. Enjoy receiving regular postal updates including a survey to fill out ranking the biggest issues to you from stopping the boats to ending waste.

Also included, 1 pre-sealed reply paid envelope. I like to imagine they had a staffer doing the mailout, sealing each reply envelope with loving care.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Do they really pre-seal the reply paid envelopes consistently? Why?

Also it seems a bit misleading to compare US debt and Greek debt on per capita terms. The US has a functioning economy with actual export value (its the biggest economy in the world) and Greece has some cash crops and tourism that have like zero competitiveness while they're attached to the Euro. There is just no capacity to pay it back in any real sense

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Abbott and Hockey's electorates are the first two to get FTTN NBN lol

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Also it seems a bit misleading to compare US debt and Greek debt on per capita terms. The US has a functioning economy with actual export value (its the biggest economy in the world) and Greece has some cash crops and tourism that have like zero competitiveness while they're attached to the Euro. There is just no capacity to pay it back in any real sense
Well yes and no. The reason the Greeks are hosed is the accumulated effect of the requirement to repay the interest on the debt. This prompts a death spiral. Greece could have 'monetised' their way out of it except they are pinned to the CE via the Euro. The US is keeping the debt monster at bay by:

1/ Being the guy who makes up the rules (duh).
2/ Monetising frantically to make up their position.

So yes their circumstances are very different but the actual underlying issue is identical. How long the US can continue the enormous level of debt it carries is both unknown and somewhat frightening.

(I've recently been reading a lot about exactly this so I didn't just make it all up over cornflakes).

http://www.cfr.org/financial-crises/dangerous-us-government-debt/p22408

A little elderly but.

quote:

At the same time, moreover, foreigners seemed poised to drive U.S. borrowing costs higher. The dollar was falling sharply. Early in 2009 it fetched almost eighty euro cents in Frankfurt or Athens; by autumn it was worth sixty-seven euro cents. Foreign investors, who held more than half of the U.S. Treasury market, were getting nervous. Luo Ping, a director-general at the China Banking Regulatory Commission, summed up the angst:

"Except for U.S. Treasuries, what can you hold? Gold? You don't hold Japanese government bonds or UK bonds. U.S. Treasuries are the safe haven. For everyone, including China, it is the only option . . . . We know the dollar is going to depreciate, so we hate you guys, but there is nothing much we can do."2

Was Triffin's endgame—sudden reserve diversification, or the act of foreign governments abruptly shifting their funds from dollars to other currencies—about to become a reality? If so, the likeliest benefactor was the eurozone. Prominent economists opined that the euro would become the world's reserve currency by as early as 2015.3 Through the first half of 2009 global investors seemed to agree: net inflows into eurozone debt instruments—that is, the rest of the world's purchases of eurozone bonds less euro-area purchases of foreign bonds—surged to record levels. The related plummeting of the dollar relative to the euro added to the fear that global investors were abandoning the center country.

But then began the eurozone phase of the global financial crisis. This has provided the U.S. government with a timely respite from both domestic forces and Triffin's endgame. U.S. policymakers need to understand that this is not a reset, not a new beginning; it is a lucky break. How the United States uses this reprieve will affect the nation's ability to borrow for years to come, with broad implications for the sustainability of an active U.S. foreign policy.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Lid posted:

He's joining Alan Jones in being pro-same sex marriage for reasons.

Pyne is gay?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ragingsheep posted:

Pyne is gay?

And that's ok and not a reason to attack him

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's actually cool and good to spread rumours about the sexual habits of people you don't like.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Yeah, no problems with his sexuality. I just always thought he was one of the hardcore Christian right.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ragingsheep posted:

Yeah, no problems with his sexuality. I just always thought he was one of the hardcore Christian right.

He's one of the wetter Libs, or at least that's the way some of his colleagues see him.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Yeah, Christopher Pyne is a moderate in the Liberal Party, which is probably indicative of just how hosed up the party is.

Also he has a wife and kids. Assume what you will about his sexuality, but it really doesn't matter.

(there's a reason Bernardi hates his guts though)

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Cartoon posted:

Well yes and no. The reason the Greeks are hosed is the accumulated effect of the requirement to repay the interest on the debt. This prompts a death spiral. Greece could have 'monetised' their way out of it except they are pinned to the CE via the Euro. The US is keeping the debt monster at bay by:

1/ Being the guy who makes up the rules (duh).
2/ Monetising frantically to make up their position.

So yes their circumstances are very different but the actual underlying issue is identical. How long the US can continue the enormous level of debt it carries is both unknown and somewhat frightening.

(I've recently been reading a lot about exactly this so I didn't just make it all up over cornflakes).

http://www.cfr.org/financial-crises/dangerous-us-government-debt/p22408

A little elderly but.

Devaluing their currency (assuming they break from the EU) would let their cash crop exports and tourism sectors actually become regionally competitive and probably keep the country going for a while (don't know what they're going to do long-term given the tremendous brain drain that's occurred) but it's not a simple "flip the switch" solution, it'd be difficult even if they didn't have crippling debt piled at their feet, as it is if they default and leave the EU and start printing their own money the deck is already stacked against them in terms of just surviving day-to-day while they seek to stabilise and rebuild confidence in their country, both from citizens and foreign markets. Even selling a bunch of pistachios you've already grown isn't easy (or cheap), all the logistical difficulties of harvesting, preparing, storage, transport, and money transfer to a reliable bank are all things that require a functioning country with enough cash to keep the wheels moving. Given how underpowered their economy is at the best of times (they're not exactly a shipbuilding leviathan anymore) monetisation might be the best way out but it's still looking pretty far out of their reach, and sourcing the debt relief they need to survive day-by-day and withdrawal from the euro are mutually exclusive in this environment.

That said, I don't know poo poo about your broader criticism of international economy so I'm going to have to bookmark that and come back to when I have time, it looks like a long read that's going to have a whole bunch of branching articles popping up as I go.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Murodese posted:

Didn't (supposedly) Pyne tell Bernardi that he'd thought about joining Labor but realised it'd be easier to get elected as a Liberal?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdmsE-Bff7k

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

This Pyne topic comes up every few months. In short it's safest to leave his private life out of things, leave aside the outrage over personal hypocrisy etc, and just focus on how poo poo he is as a politician. You won't run out of things to hate anytime soon if you restrict yourself to his professional life, so why open Pandora's box of "but he's secretly gay!" and tie yourself down to a morally muddy argument that does nothing but distract from how much he needs to be strapped to a leaky dinghy and cast adrift in the Pacific?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Much like Labor's recent campaign strategy, Mr. Squiggle only really makes sense if you squint your eyes and keep turning right

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Murodese posted:

Yeah, Christopher Pyne is a moderate in the Liberal Party, which is probably indicative of just how hosed up the party is.

Also he has a wife and kids. Assume what you will about his sexuality, but it really doesn't matter.

Pyne is gay because he has a nasally voice apparently.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Dear Mr Pyne,

Why does gay? Why. I'm not say bad, I just want know why.

You sincerely,
Concerned Citizen

P.S. Why

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Pyne's two defining features in politics are that he is a Moderate but also he is Ridiculously Loyal. So he will fiercely prosecute the government's agenda to a T, but when asked about his views on things that fall between the cracks of said agenda, he will be a lot less vehemently evil than some of his other counterparts.

Take that how you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

• Locked thread