Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

mycot posted:

Yes. I think it's sort of like the Homestuck KS where the fans would have always held this specific image of the game no matter how much it's spelled out otherwise (though admittedly a pixel art platformer is a lot less impractical than "Cartoon Skyrim the MMO").

To be far the concept art was really dynamic looking 2D mockups.

Easy to look at this as the art's literal first impression and be disappointed with anything less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Well, show me how one draws on paper in 3D and you'll have a point.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Chris Crawford reflects on a Kicstarter gone wrong

Can't comment on it since I just started reading it. Feel bad for the dude, tho.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Cheez posted:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Cheez posted:

Not just that, but also the lighting, the dynamic movement, the detail put in the facial expression. It all just looks so much more lovingly made than the final product.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Bee posted:

Easy to look at this as the art's literal first impression and be disappointed with anything less.

Yeah I think I probably saw that since I wasn't paying a lot of attention and thought that looks cool then they showed what the game actually looked like and i was all ohh..lol

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Chime, the old XBLA/PSN music puzzle game, is Kickstarting a sequel and looking for feedback on their pitch: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/782536717/548154743?token=ce63a133

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The Bee posted:

The thing is that it's not actually impossible to make a game that looks like that. They just have to try.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think most people knew the game wasn't actually going to look like that. Main thing is that MN09 just looks bad by any modern 2D standard.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Mr Underhill posted:

Chris Crawford reflects on a Kicstarter gone wrong

Can't comment on it since I just started reading it. Feel bad for the dude, tho.

quote:

Crawford hoped to raise money to create Balance of the Planet, a serious environmental simulator that would teach players about sustainable energy, pollution, and other world issues.

Not surprised the kickstarter failed. Yes Chris Crawford explain it to me um who the hell are you again? Hint people don't want to preached to.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lowtechs posted:

Not surprised the kickstarter failed. Yes Chris Crawford explain it to me um who the hell are you again? Hint people don't want to preached to.

You're free got to agree with its content, but acting like it's somehow grossly overbearing that he tried to make a game about ~something~ is really loving stupid, no one is making you fund it or play it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He had to realize that the only things that get that kind of money are nostalgia trips for big name devs/franchises.

Dear lord I just checked and Shenmue III is the biggest game kickstarter after Castlevania. gently caress nerds forever.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Holy poo poo I just watched the Mighty No 9 E3 demo because I didn't believe it could look that bad but.. man that looks terrible.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

He had to realize that the only things that get that kind of money are nostalgia trips for big name devs/franchises.

Dear lord I just checked and Shenmue III is the biggest game kickstarter after Castlevania. gently caress nerds forever.

It's like the mobile market. Good luck getting any money if it doesn't have a lot of PR or isn't the Nth clone.
Only occasionally you get something that isn't either and still is a success.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Lowtechs posted:

Yes Chris Crawford explain it to me um who the hell are you again?

Well, he literally created GDC, so.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Wezlar posted:

Holy poo poo I just watched the Mighty No 9 E3 demo because I didn't believe it could look that bad but.. man that looks terrible.

The gameplay is also focused on building attack chains, which means that the levels themselves have to be long hallways full of enemies with no breaks or platforming segments, otherwise you'd lose your combo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Kamiya was right when said Infaune was just a business man, because he's clearly far more interested in making a media franchise than a solid game first.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

gently caress you, you piece of poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shenmue is a relic and its novelty at the time was the only thing that was interesting about it and it's also being made by a big company anyway.

Castlevania didn't show poo poo and it's kinda lame when kickstarters blow up just based on name (look at Mighty Number 9).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Groovelord Neato posted:

Shenmue is a relic and its novelty at the time was the only thing that was interesting about it and it's also being made by a big company anyway.

Castlevania didn't show poo poo and it's kinda lame when kickstarters blow up just based on name (look at Mighty Number 9).

By all accounts pretty much the only money Sony is giving to the project is marketing/distribution. I hope it gets 5 million by the end at least.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Shenmue 2 is the greatest game ever. I don't understand how people keep writing off a series backed by a legendary game designer like Yu Suzuki.

It might surpass Bloodstained. The money spiked once they added the PS4 physical. And yeah, Sony isn't publishing or developing the game.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/#chart-daily

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 6, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

Deep Silver is making sure it won't. Also remember that unlike Tim Schafer, "Inafune is a business man".

Didn't Broken Age have a publisher too, I distinctly remember someone not very happy at Tim's excuses.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Well, he literally created GDC, so.

Looking at the attendees for the first GDC (and having worked for one of them), that's nice but nobody is going to fund your game because of that. Brian Moriarty made some brilliant games and if he made a KS I would give him mad cash but I wouldn't expect it to be funded.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

monster on a stick posted:

Didn't Broken Age have a publisher too, I distinctly remember someone not very happy at Tim's excuses.

distributor, Nordic Games pressed PC disks for it (yes, I don't get it either, literally the only group of people in existence who have collectively less business sense than Tim Schafer, i guess)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

distributor, Nordic Games pressed PC disks for it (yes, I don't get it either, literally the only group of people in existence who have collectively less business sense than Tim Schafer, i guess)

Physical PC games are still far too popular in Europe and east of that to ignore. Nordic Games is, coincidentally enough, based in Europe.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nordic Games is a weird company in that they've acquired a lot of fairly big IPs but they still do lots of fairly niche Euro-centric PC stuff.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Kibayasu posted:

Physical PC games are still far too popular in Europe and east of that to ignore. Nordic Games is, coincidentally enough, based in Europe.

doesn't like everyone just pirate their games in europe, especially since a whole bunch of european countries have very weak or no copyright laws

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Toxxupation posted:

doesn't like everyone just pirate their games in europe, especially since a whole bunch of european countries have very weak or no copyright laws

The UK, Germany, Russia (if you count them as European), and Turkey all buy a lot of videogames. Most other places are negligible.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

turnip kid posted:

Shenmue 2 is the greatest game ever. I don't understand how people keep writing off a series backed by a legendary game designer like Yu Suzuki.
Probably by playing it in the Year Of Our Lord 2015.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

turnip kid posted:

Well, apart from Shenmue, it appears he has made a bunch of racing games and fighting games. And he has spent the last 15 years making mobile and arcade games. I understand that people like to hold up the accomplishments of their heroes as evidence they can do well again, but you also have to take the big fat pile of meh that they have done in the last decade-plus into account when you're evaluating them.

Also, I don't know why Shenmue fans are so amped up about this, it's been less than five years since the last one :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Eww, arcade games!

gqul
Jun 4, 2015

Mr E posted:

Sethian just got greenlit, which is awesome.

Dredging this post up a bit because I haven't been checking this thread often enough, but can anyone explain how this happened? I was honestly shocked when I got the email. I was nowhere near the top 100. Is it just because the game is so niche that Valve decided to throw me a bone? Does this happen a lot?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Toxxupation posted:

Used to be, yeah. E.g. We had no copyright laws but that all ended in 97, and I doubt there are places that are stil the wild wild east in that respect. Overall software piracy is somewhere at 60%, but people will buy software if they can afford it. But they generally can't, and I'm not exaggerating. Because distributors are idiotic, too. Average salary over here is 400 euros. New games cost 60 euros, that's exactly as much as in countries where pay is 5x bigger. Expect piracy, motherfucker. It's not an excuse, it's market rules. I buy my stuff and the place I work in spends thousands of euros on software monthly, but it's very much the exception.

Sorry about the derail.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

gqul posted:

Dredging this post up a bit because I haven't been checking this thread often enough, but can anyone explain how this happened? I was honestly shocked when I got the email. I was nowhere near the top 100. Is it just because the game is so niche that Valve decided to throw me a bone? Does this happen a lot?

Noone has ever really known how Greenlight works or is supposed to work but over the last year or so they've conspicuously stopped pretending it's a hard popularity contest and have started approving pretty much anything with any degree of buzz.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Toxxupation posted:

Used to be, yeah. E.g. We had no copyright laws but that all ended in 97, and I doubt there are places that are stil the wild wild east in that respect. Overall software piracy is somewhere at 60%, but people will buy software if they can afford it. But they generally can't, and I'm not exaggerating. Because distributors are idiotic, too. Average salary over here is 400 euros. New games cost 60 euros, that's exactly as much as in countries where pay is 5x bigger. Expect piracy, motherfucker. It's not an excuse, it's market rules. I buy my stuff and the place I work in spends thousands of euros on software monthly, but it's very much the exception.

Plus, for 9 euro, you get 100 mbps internet, but you can'tget netflix, hulu or spotify. So yeah, sure fire recipy for torrenting ever ything all the time.

Sorry about the derail.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Noone has ever really known how Greenlight works or is supposed to work but over the last year or so they've conspicuously stopped pretending it's a hard popularity contest and have started approving pretty much anything with any degree of buzz.

I think valve tends to cherry pick games that don't look like a pile of poo poo, and they also immediately greenlight games that have fast starts but haven't yet made it close to the top. Incidentally, even though they have greenlit some real rotten piles of garbage before, they have also allowed some stinkers that gained some popularity fester in the top 10 for a while, too. They seem pretty inconsistent.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Memento posted:

Well, apart from Shenmue, it appears he has made a bunch of racing games and fighting games. And he has spent the last 15 years making mobile and arcade games. I understand that people like to hold up the accomplishments of their heroes as evidence they can do well again, but you also have to take the big fat pile of meh that they have done in the last decade-plus into account when you're evaluating them.
He also spent the 15 years before Shenmue making arcade games. That's how he made his name in the industry and got into a position where he could make Shenmue in the first place.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

After Shenmue's production more or less ruined the company, did you really think SEGA would let Suzuki anywhere near any ambitious projects?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Count Uvula posted:

The UK, Germany, Russia (if you count them as European), and Turkey all buy a lot of videogames. Most other places are negligible.

Practically the whole of Western Europe still buys more physical discs than download titles, IIRC.

e; vv

khwarezm posted:

Surprised by that, the PC sections of gamestop or HMV here in Ireland have very slim pickings indeed.

Amazon still makes a killing on game discs last I'd heard, and supermarkets tend to have decent stock in France, Spain and Germany.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 6, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Practically the whole of Western Europe still buys more physical discs than download titles, IIRC.

Surprised by that, the PC sections of gamestop or HMV here in Ireland have very slim pickings indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Big names are good for Kickstarter as a whole. You gotta get an audience before you can give your sales pitch and for a service that's nothing but pitching all day long, anything that brings in even a small amount of people is absolutely necessary. When an online service dries up, it dries up.