Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That was really nice by maia

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That lateral drop was so sick, and Chael looked like he was about to cry after that.

Also that's the fight where (I think) Chael was saying white Christians don't do jiu jitsu

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

mewse posted:

drat, Chael even had words about Big Ben Rothwell's promo:

A masterful clinic for all stupid dummies. It takes so little to be a standout personality in the sport and basically no one ever tries despite the fact they've got nil job security while putting in boring performances while being as forgettable as possible

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 6, 2015

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

That lateral drop was so sick, and Chael looked like he was about to cry after that.

Also that's the fight where (I think) Chael was saying white Christians don't do jiu jitsu

“Even if I thought I could get a submission I’m not lying underneath a grown man with my legs spread on worldwide TV. Some guys subscribe to that theory but I am a Republican and we don’t do that.”

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tezcatlipoca posted:

“Even if I thought I could get a submission I’m not lying underneath a grown man with my legs spread on worldwide TV. Some guys subscribe to that theory but I am a Republican and we don’t do that.”

Lol

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

TheRationalRedditor posted:

A masterful clinic for all stupid dummies. It takes so little to be a standout personality in the sport and basically no one ever tries despite the fact they've got nil job security while putting in boring performances while being as forgettable as possible

"I'm gonna get in there...and I'm gonna hurt him" -chack liddell (2001, 2003, 2007, 2010)

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
McGregor V Mendeshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAhpQzWz07U

Lawler V Macdonald https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb1NEmH4JU0

UFC Countdown vids are up. Their acknowledging the whole "Connor's never fought a wrestler" storyline.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Patrick Spens posted:

UFC Countdown vids are up. Their acknowledging the whole "Connor's never fought a wrestler" storyline.

It's less a "story line" and more a real, true thing

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I like that when Chael was openly asked about why he tapped out in the 5th round of the first anderson fight he said "I honestly thought that just ended the round", I beat him 4 rounds to 1 how does that make him a champion. I liked that he never took responsibility for losing ever. It was part of his schtick and it was great.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The best is when Chael taps and you can see Matt Lindland just angrily chucking his hat on the ground

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Conors about to get wrestled to death isnt he?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nierbo posted:

Conors about to get wrestled to death isnt he?

There's just as likely a chance that Money ends up unconscious. Basically we have no idea.

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.
what are we going to talk about after Conor fights a wrestler. does anyone even care about Rory and Robbie because I am pumped.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I care about Robbie, he's a super cool dude

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think that rory has gotten a little smarter in the cage since the last time that they thought, but I also think that if he slows down and loses discipline in the later rounds he will get finished

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Let's not forget about Bermudez vs Stephens, Pickett vs Almeida, Thatch vs Gunnar and Immortal Matt vs the Dirty Bird.

On paper this card is just phenomenal.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I can't believe Cathal Pendred managed to weasel his way on to this fuckin card.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

I like how in the countdown video for Mendes/McGregor they try to justify an interim title by saying Aldo's time table for return is unclear whereas weren't they offering a time table for return right from the beginning?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BlindSite posted:

I like that when Chael was openly asked about why he tapped out in the 5th round of the first anderson fight he said "I honestly thought that just ended the round", I beat him 4 rounds to 1 how does that make him a champion. I liked that he never took responsibility for losing ever. It was part of his schtick and it was great.

That indeed sounds like Chael P. hype speak. In another, much-less-schticky interview, I think it was a Rogan podcast, he said that when Rosenthal was on top of him afterwards and he was protesting that he genuinely didn't know why the fight had ended and Silva was celebrating: "Why did you stop it?" - "You tapped out, Chael." - "No I didn't!" - "Yes, you did." - "Ok, I believe you."

And if you watch the replay you can actually see him saying something that could be "I believe you" when he's kneeling and talking to Rosenthal.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

outy posted:

Let's not forget about Bermudez vs Stephens, Pickett vs Almeida, Thatch vs Gunnar and Immortal Matt vs the Dirty Bird.

On paper this card is just phenomenal.

Going to be some good fights alright. Thatch and Almeida both have serious striking game. I expect KOs in both those fights. Bermudez Stephens should be good if Bermudez remembers to wrestle. Means is going to get murked once Brown takes a couple of body shots and gets pissed.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Le Saboteur posted:

I can't believe Cathal Pendred managed to weasel his way on to this fuckin card.

that whole card rules but he's going to make it bad, just watch

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy crap, the UFC is just letting Conor have the TUF gym to train for this fight. That whole "company man" training resource imbalance is getting out of hand.

Still not as bad as it is at women's 135 though:

quote:

Ronda Rousey: $120,000 (includes $60,000 win bonus) def. Alexis Davis: $24,000

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Rory was doing really well against Robbie the first time round, and one of the reasons he got dropped is because he was absolutely unafraid to go and trade punches. Gut feeling says Rory takes it but I'd like to see otherwise :shobon:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Rory's absolutely better than he was but I have a difficult time believing he's going to outperform Hendricks on any front

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Holy crap, the UFC is just letting Conor have the TUF gym to train for this fight. That whole "company man" training resource imbalance is getting out of hand.

I'd imagine they would do that for anyone who based a camp in Vegas

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

EmmyOk posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say no, that's probably not the case.

But either way it's irrelevant. If a fighter has the amount of pull Ronda, McGregor or otherwise, they're going to get perks dudes like Ryan LaFlare absolutely will not.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ryan LaFlare may have the most ironic name in the UFC.

The name suggests this:

But he is actually this:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

CommonShore posted:

120k with win bonus is still less then a lot of guys make for non-title fights. Machida pulled 200k in his loss to Yoel didn't he?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Rory's absolutely better than he was but I have a difficult time believing he's going to outperform Hendricks on any front

he's probably better at following a diet at least

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Trast posted:

120k with win bonus is still less then a lot of guys make for non-title fights. Machida pulled 200k in his loss to Yoel didn't he?

-Ronda has PPV points
-For at least one fight Zuffa paid for her to have a 2nd apartment so she wouldn't need to commute 4 hours a day between Glendale and Venice

Also going back to an earlier topic, I feel like lots of fighters could get more perks if they did the bare minimum to promote a loving fight. When they were doing promotion for Rousey/McMann, McMann was basically saying "well Ronda can do all the promoting and I'll just train," ignoring the fact that Liz Carmouche got backroom bonuses for playing along with the media and promotion in her fight. Then McMann got stopped in 17 seconds.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Triticum Guzzler posted:

he's probably better at following a diet at least

Stray-cat based

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

So glad this has returned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxB9Ve0fbw

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Welterweight is so good

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

POTATO IN MY ANUS posted:

what are we going to talk about after Conor fights a wrestler. does anyone even care about Rory and Robbie because I am pumped.

There's been about 3 posts about it and it's the far more important fight in a better weight class (and is likely more even). Conor Mcgregor has got people talking about his wife feeding him potato stew. I am pumped as well but I'm really on the fence as to who to pull for. I'm not a big Robbie fan like most people here nor do I hate Rory like most people here.

EmmyOk posted:

"Hello Dana this is Andy Enz. I'll be in Vegas this week I was wondering if I could use the TUF faci...... Dana?"

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Seltzer posted:

There's been about 3 posts about it and it's the far more important fight in a better weight class (and is likely more even). Conor Mcgregor has got people talking about his wife feeding him potato stew. I am pumped as well but I'm really on the fence as to who to pull for. I'm not a big Robbie fan like most people here nor do I hate Rory like most people here.

"Hello Dana this is Andy Enz. I'll be in Vegas this week I was wondering if I could use the TUF faci...... Dana?"

I just want there to be a Canadian champ again, even if he is more robotic than our prime minister.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

FishBowlRobot posted:

Not to get away from the important topic at hand but could someone educate me, as a relatively new and somewhat casual fan, on how a fighter like Chad can effectively deal with the huge reach advantage a talented striker like Conor has? I have Fight Pass, so if anyone has some examples of similar matchups that'd be cool to see.

Sean Sherk. Every fight of his except the BJ Penn loss is exactly like this, and Chad is oen of very few people with arms as short.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Has McGregor ever faced anyone nearly as explosive as Mendes? That quickness feels like its going to give Conor the most trouble, he's a fast striker when it comes to combos but he fights in a fairly methodical way which might be hard when theres a tiny muscle T-Rex constantly rushing you.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Rory was doing really well against Robbie the first time round, and one of the reasons he got dropped is because he was absolutely unafraid to go and trade punches. Gut feeling says Rory takes it but I'd like to see otherwise :shobon:

The only reason why I wouldn't be completely bummed out if Rory wins the belt on Saturday is it guarantees the next defense would be Rory vs Johny Hendricks that's been long over due, and I think Hendricks wins that.

But until it happens I don't see Robbie losing the fight. He would have to perform very poorly to let Rory run away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

POTATO IN MY ANUS posted:

I always care about a Robbie Lawler fight.

• Locked thread