Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

14 INCH SLIT posted:

So our shop bitch managed to blow a motor on a 2015 Town and Country doing an oil change, and my manager is sitting here trying to see if filling it with mechanic in a bottle will fix it out of sheer desperation and it's just knock knock knock knock knocking away in the bay, a much older T&C goes driving past making the same noise and I pointed out with the heat it must be mating season for them, they're calling to each other. Sort of like down in the desert when all the tarantulas come out. My boss goes oh yeah I've seen that when they come crawling out of those little holes as the sun goes down.

I managed to hit him broadside with "well technically my hole is usually that size but once you cram as many tarantulas in there as I have *makes a circle gesture with fingers about the size of a grapefruit* poo poo looks like a bloomin onion that waves at you."

Boss: :stonk:

I laughed way too hard at this. I'm going to have to remember that and use it on my boss.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I use scissors ar work that are able to cut through kevlar. They just cut through half of my thumb. Gonna super glue this bitch shut if I keep soaking through Bandaids like this.

Sup sliced thumb buddy.

drat gauze+tape came off overnight. My sheets look like Aunt Flo condensed Shark Week into Shark Night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

You guys are right and I am gonna schedule an appointment somewhere new tomorrow on break. My mom's side of the family has this weird eye thing that looks like Glaucoma at first glance that my bro and I inherrited. Always used to freak out new eye doctors, haha. I actually had an appointment when I was at my old house about 1.5 years ago and I didn't need a new prescription. But poo poo I got a Blue Cross Blue Shield Anthem Vision card that I might as well put to use.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I finally went to an eye doctor last summer (on my birthday, actually), specifically to get a script I could use to order glasses online.

Eye doctor told me my vision had barely changed, I needed "1 click" on one eye. Whatever a click is. And that was a 5 year old prescription she was basing that on. But thanks to medical issues, I'm supposed to get my eyes checked every year now.

My BCBS insurance knocked :10bux: off of the exam. loving :laffo:, but $10 is $10, and I don't actually have vision insurance, just a vision discount attached to my medical insurance.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Lightbulb Out posted:

You've probably never done something stupid in your life.
I've done lots of stupid things in my life.

None of them were THAT stupid.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

So our shop bitch managed to blow a motor on a 2015 Town and Country doing an oil change, and my manager is sitting here trying to see if filling it with mechanic in a bottle will fix it out of sheer desperation and it's just knock knock knock knock knocking away in the bay, a much older T&C goes driving past making the same noise and I pointed out with the heat it must be mating season for them, they're calling to each other. Sort of like down in the desert when all the tarantulas come out. My boss goes oh yeah I've seen that when they come crawling out of those little holes as the sun goes down.

I managed to hit him broadside with "well technically my hole is usually that size but once you cram as many tarantulas in there as I have *makes a circle gesture with fingers about the size of a grapefruit* poo poo looks like a bloomin onion that waves at you."

Boss: :stonk:

Goddamn I'm sad that I don't work with you right now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...is AI all psychically linked in some manner or other? I managed to cut the poo poo out of my right thumb today too.

:tinfoil:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
in cleaning my closet out today I found both a SA Grenade Hoodie, and an alcatel web touch one internet desk phone still new in the box :psyduck:

No idea where the hell the phone came from

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nodoze posted:

in cleaning my closet out today I found both a SA Grenade Hoodie, and an alcatel web touch one internet desk phone still new in the box :psyduck:

No idea where the hell the phone came from

This is a weird request but could you take a picture of that phone? It may be one that can run a specific old OS that I find pretty neat.

Edit: basically I'm hoping it's one of these: http://tuxscreen.net/

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 7, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It looks like the wireless card in my 8 year old laptop died again.

I love this laptop. I prefer typing on it compared to my 3 year old laptop and I threw a SSD on it so it's pretty fast. I really just use it to browse the Internet these days while I'm watching TV. I'm using a usb wireless card for now but I know that it's just a matter of time before it bites the dust.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

QuarkMartial posted:

....how did he destroy a motor during an oil change :wtc:

leave the oil out before starting the engine to check it

putting the wrong fluid in

there's a lotta ways really

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is a weird request but could you take a picture of that phone? It may be one that can run a specific old OS that I find pretty neat.

Edit: basically I'm hoping it's one of these: http://tuxscreen.net/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lightbulb Out posted:

You've probably never done something stupid in your life.

I have plenty of dumb poo poo but putting what is basically a bomb on my head in a cardboard tube then lighting the fuse...? No. "the kind of person Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid." thing is nowhere near true, it takes a special kind of loving idiot even when drunk to think "Bomb on head" is a good idea in the slightest

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hindsight is 20/20, and I can totally see the vast majority of people not understanding basic laws of physics and thinking "it looks pretty docile shooting on the ground there, I'm sure it'll be fine on my head" without fully comprehending the forces at play against the concrete. Add drinking into the occasion and I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened before now.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I shot a single bottle rocket out of my teeth some years ago. Melted the flesh on my upper lip and you can bet your rear end I learned my lesson.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Hindsight is 20/20, and I can totally see the vast majority of people not understanding basic laws of physics and thinking "it looks pretty docile shooting on the ground there, I'm sure it'll be fine on my head" without fully comprehending the forces at play against the concrete. Add drinking into the occasion and I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened before now.

I think that the vast majority of people, understanding of physics or not, would get the core concept of "Shooting fireworks off your head is loving dangerous".

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I think I have found footage of Kastein washing one of his jeeps.

http://i.imgur.com/gLux28Z.webm

Brings a new meaning to drive-thru car wash.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Adiabatic posted:

Hindsight, foresight, and midsight are all 20/20 that putting a cheaply-made semi-illegal tube of imported chinese gunpowder on your head and setting it off is a really spectacularly stupid thing to do, regardless of how much you had to drink.

The fact that this dope's friends didn't stop him from doing this illustrates that they too are monumentally stupid, so any stupid things they're saying now about how he wasn't that stupid should be weighed accordingly based on their known and observable stupidity.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think that the vast majority of people, understanding of physics or not, would get the core concept of "Shooting fireworks off your head is loving dangerous".

Yeah, it makes me wonder what the last thing going through his mind was.

:downsrim:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

http://youtu.be/QGJuMBdaqIw

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Before reading the article I was thinking "what kind of firework would kill you from launching it on your head? Even like roman candles and things you'd probably just get a really nasty 3rd degree burn." and then I read:

news article posted:

reloadable fireworks mortar tube

oh. Yeah that'd do it. I've seen those things embed themselves in buckets of sand from the amount of recoil force they put out. Reloadable mortar tubes especially are nothing to gently caress with.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Not even once.

I'm just going to state the obvious: Of course it's not stupid. What you do (owl pellets) is loving amazing!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MustardFacial posted:

The one good thing about all of these fires in BC is that the smoke is blocking out the sun so much here in Vancouver that it's not nearly as hot as it used to be. Everything smells like a campfire though.

Walking outside is like being on Mars:

I'm going far up into BC next month and supposedly you can even see smoke from up there. :( Is it raining ash?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
So, we had a customer come in saying his car had died while out on the main road and he had manhandled it into our parking lot. He mentioned he had "just put 5 quarts of oil into it when he was in miami" and this immediately tripped the 'is this dude that dumb' wire in the brains of everyone there. After a few questions, he mentioned that in the last week alone he had driven from here to Miami with a stop at Ft De Soto park in between while at least 4-5 qts of oil low. This is a trip of around 400 miles. We begin speculating what could have caused this before deciding to throw the code reader at it for shits and giggles. When we turned the vehicle on to run the test, it finally occurred to someone to look at the gauges. The dude had just run out of gas while driving and the code reader confirmed this.

At this point I'm not sure who is stupider, us for not going for the simple answer first and jumping to ITS FUCKIN' DEAAAAAAD or the customer for not being able to read any of the gauges in his car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

oh. Yeah that'd do it. I've seen those things embed themselves in buckets of sand from the amount of recoil force they put out. Reloadable mortar tubes especially are nothing to gently caress with.

Oh. I missed that it was a reloadable mortar type. Then this...

quote:

"There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there,"

....was literal. That would have been one hell of a mess to witness.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hindsight, foresight, and midsight are all 20/20 that putting a cheaply-made semi-illegal tube of imported chinese gunpowder on your head and setting it off is a really spectacularly stupid thing to do, regardless of how much you had to drink.

The fact that this dope's friends didn't stop him from doing this illustrates that they too are monumentally stupid, so any stupid things they're saying now about how he wasn't that stupid should be weighed accordingly based on their known and observable stupidity.

Aw come on you look at them things and they don't move much against the sand when you shoot em off on the beach. poo poo I probably would've done it before hearing about this article.

Nothing less than $100, obviously.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well, you have the accent that matches those individuals, therefore you = those people. :colbert:

(I think I'm probably one of the only goons to ever hear TT's voice?)

That's loving hilarious though.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I'm not an avid book reader, but I just finished the Martian in 3 days.

Go read it!
Do it now!

I'm sure Hollywood is probably going to muck it up.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but the doom 4 gameplay video has me setting aside money for a new graphics card and monitor. It looks like they took that game in exactly the direction I wanted it to go. drat, that's some graphic poo poo and I want to be a part of it.

Saw terminator over the weekend and it was pretty good. I didn't get the same thrill as Mad Max, but it was a solid effort. Some of the sequences were so over the top I was losing the suspension of disbelief though.

Talked with a buddy that was working for IBM on Watson who just got poached by Google. Hearing how google approached him gave me chicken skin. I feel that running into him was a pivotal moment that I'm grateful for because I'm going to get back into programming/computer science and go back to that career. :unsmith:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mafoose posted:

I'm not an avid book reader, but I just finished the Martian in 3 days.

Go read it!
Do it now!

I'm sure Hollywood is probably going to muck it up.
Yeah, I loved it. It's got everything I like about Stephen Baxter's sci-fi, but without his rather negative view of humanity.

BloodBag posted:

Saw terminator over the weekend and it was pretty good. I didn't get the same thrill as Mad Max, but it was a solid effort. Some of the sequences were so over the top I was losing the suspension of disbelief though.
It was good, but what ruined it for me were the massive spoilers they stuck in the trailers, like John Connor being a terminator. Sometimes you get stuff like that by not being careful with filtering stuff out online, or people being dicks on Facebook etc, but to put it in the trailers shown in the cinema ahead of other films is just atrocious.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Well, you have the accent that matches those individuals, therefore you = those people. :colbert:

(I think I'm probably one of the only goons to ever hear TT's voice?)

That's loving hilarious though.

If you've played H1Z1 or Battlefield with me you've heard it there too :D

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Sitting here with no power. Wondering how I spend 2x the money for electricity here than I did in Manitoba, yet I likely average 3 hours a month at minimum where the power dies for no good reason. gently caress you hydro one of Ontario.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Working at my roommate's school the next few weeks. Gotta find the room he teaches in and booby trap it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
After 26 years of smoking, I am going to quit. I'm just kind of tired of it - and it's getting absurdly expensive (6 bucks a pack? wtf?). Not going to use e-cigs, not going to start dipping again. Just simply quit.

I hope.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I had quit for about two months, then i had a few cigars over the weekend and welp

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tide posted:

After 26 years of smoking, I am going to quit. I'm just kind of tired of it - and it's getting absurdly expensive (6 bucks a pack? wtf?). Not going to use e-cigs, not going to start dipping again. Just simply quit.

I hope.

Packs of 20s over here are at least $12 these days. One of my friends was remarking on how stupidly expensive they were and I was actually shocked... Silly money.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I loved it. It's got everything I like about Stephen Baxter's sci-fi, but without his rather negative view of humanity.

It was good, but what ruined it for me were the massive spoilers they stuck in the trailers, like John Connor being a terminator. Sometimes you get stuff like that by not being careful with filtering stuff out online, or people being dicks on Facebook etc, but to put it in the trailers shown in the cinema ahead of other films is just atrocious.

I haven't seen the movie and will probably wait until it is out on DVD because of that spoiler in the trailer.
It seems like it would have been a great plot twist otherwise.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

It surprised me. I didn't see any trailers since I don't have cable. I didn't even know there was a new movie until someone here mentioned it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

InitialDave posted:

Guess I lucked out by not having TV and not even knowing the movie was coming out until shortly before seeing it. Hadn't seen a trailer or even knew who was in it until the movie started. That was a decent twist but even without seeing any trailers it seemed kind of obvious something was up. Still decent movie and I enjoyed it. Actress that played Sarah Connor was pretty awesome, looks a hell of a lot better as a brunette than blonde in GOT.

Tide posted:

I hope.
Do it, stick with it even though I'm sure it's going to really suck. Between the money saved and the health benefits it's worth it.

• Locked thread