Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Otacon posted:

The best Sandman I ever had was a long-ball stun from just outside of the spawn doors of whatever map I was on - I ran back into spawn, grabbed a new ball, and managed to hit the same stunned heavy two more times before dying. Literally had that heavy standing stunned and motionless for over 30 seconds. Was amazing.
It was just as amazing when it could be done at short range too. I remember playing as Heavy with a pocket Medic on Junction for the first time and, as I passed by the last point, three Scouts descended upon me taking turns to stunball me (thus killing my spin-up as well). Another three members of the team eventually saw this happening, changed to Scout and joined in the fun. The greatest thing was my Medic understood what was going on and kept my alive and ubered as the stun party continued. I wish I could have recorded it because it was one of the most hilarious things to ever happen to me in TF2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

So did we ever find out if it was a glitch that caused the crates to not drop on the first day?

edit - $12 crates LOL

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The last powerhouse points should be where those weird circular door things are on the ground near spawn are.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Otacon posted:

The best Sandman I ever had was a long-ball stun from just outside of the spawn doors of whatever map I was on - I ran back into spawn, grabbed a new ball, and managed to hit the same stunned heavy two more times before dying. Literally had that heavy standing stunned and motionless for over 30 seconds. Was amazing.

There was a great video of this happening a couple years back but I can't find it for the life of me. 2 Red Scouts on Thundermountain 3 kept throwing balls through a glitched window and repeatedly stunned a Demo for like a minute, then stunned him one last time mid-sticky jump before he died to a sniper.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Otacon posted:

Every once in a while I go into a 2fort server, play on the team with less snipers, and go scout just to do this. It doesn't take long to zero in where you need to aim to get balls to hit people on the battlements, and it's a full 7-second stun. I've yet to have a sniper survive 7 consecutive stuns, which is around 45 seconds of them not being able to move. You also get 2 points per full stun, so a 7 stun kill is worth 15 points total. It's pretty funny to spam "BOOM, BALLSHOT!" the entire game and then top the scoreboard.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
This is Suijin.

This is Suijin's map wire frame. This is an absurdly-poorly-optimized level.

/edit: For the record, this is what the game is drawing while you're looking at a freaking wall.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

But the cherry blossoms fluttering gently into the calm waters soothes my battle weary soul

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ChickenHeart posted:

This is Suijin.

This is Suijin's map wire frame. This is an absurdly-poorly-optimized level.

/edit: For the record, this is what the game is drawing while you're looking at a freaking wall.

How did this even get approved? This is terrible on a technical level. Snowplow had the "excuse" of several people crying for it.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

why play any other map when badwater exists

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Dr. Fetus posted:

How did this even get approved? This is terrible on a technical level. Snowplow had the "excuse" of several people crying for it.

Most likely, it was the fact that it "has pretty art assets."

Mo' like "has lovely fart assets"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
lovely Fart ASSets, come on. Also who at Valve decided that Heavy needed a buff? "20% Damage Reduction While Spun Up for the class that has 300 health and routinely 1 or more medics healing it on a gun that SLOWS THE OTHER TEAM DOWN"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So, this leaked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMdN7EMZFVE

I'm guessing, based on the fact it's by a shitload of prominent community folk and that Kritzkast have teased it in the past, that it'll be our next Community Update.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

The Kins posted:

So, this leaked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMdN7EMZFVE

I'm guessing, based on the fact it's by a shitload of prominent community folk and that Kritzkast have teased it in the past, that it'll be our next Community Update.

Asteroid finally out of beta? New MvM campaign?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i forgot that asteroid was even a thing. how many halfbaked tf2 projects are there

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i forgot that asteroid was even a thing. how many halfbaked tf2 projects are there

Just the one, they call it Team Fortress 2.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's a bunch of references to a finished Asteroid coming soon hidden around Powerhouse, along with some new unused art assets like a SPACE CACTUS.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Rest in peace, Cactus Canyon stage 2.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Laputanmachine posted:

Asteroid finally out of beta? New MvM campaign?

MvM: Mann vs Martians

EDIT: Or this haha https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Invasion

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

We also never really got an answer to what this is all about

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I would kill a mans with my bare, strangified hands to have a BF style capture point style open map with 2 team points and 1 mid point over a 45 minute round

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's an Invasion Workshop Collection bearing the same logo as the trailer, containing two maps from the TF2Maps Mercs vs. Aliens contest (Watergate and Probed) and a whole ton of space hats.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i guess tf2 was lacking a proper 'space invasion' update to fit in with the whole retro thing

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

IronicDongz posted:

The last powerhouse points should be where those weird circular door things are on the ground near spawn are.
I absolutely agree with the above. Both teams ALREADY seem to treat that spot as the last point, and someone thinking "the last point should be PAST the enemy spawn" is just baffling.

In other news, I have yet to play a single game of Borneo that didn't end on the very first hill. The mapmaker very thoughtfully provided a house with a full metal respawn that controls the entire chokepoint (with a height advantage, even), can't be flanked, and has room enough to space sentries so that they won't be taken out with a single uber. This was approved almost ten years after the game launch.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 7, 2015

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I absolutely agree with the above. Both teams ALREADY seem to treat that spot as the last point, and someone thinking "the last point should be PAST the enemy spawn" is just baffling.

In other news, I have yet to play a single game of Borneo that didn't end on the very first hill. The mapmaker very throughtfully provided a house with a full metal respawn that controls the entire chokepoint (with a height advantage, even), can't be flanked, and has room enough to space sentries so that they won't be taken out with a single uber. This was approved almost ten years after the game launch.

Yeah I immediately noticed that about borneo.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

In other news, I have yet to play a single game of Borneo that didn't end on the very first hill. The mapmaker very throughtfully provided a house with a full metal respawn that controls the entire chokepoint (with a height advantage, even), can't be flanked, and has room enough to space sentries so that they won't be taken out with a single uber. This was approved almost ten years after the game launch.

To be fair it's great when each team only has one engie

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

awesmoe posted:

To be fair it's great when each team only has one engie

Yeah, it works reasonably well in highlander.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Pub servers have a mandatory 5 engy per team quota.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Borneo is a bad map precisely because of that first section, much like the problems with Suijin and its sightlines or that train level and how boring and forgettable it is.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The Kins posted:

There's an Invasion Workshop Collection bearing the same logo as the trailer, containing two maps from the TF2Maps Mercs vs. Aliens contest (Watergate and Probed) and a whole ton of space hats.

Man Halloween Update is gonna be neat this year.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
suijin does look stunning. its probably the prettiest map in TF2 on max settings. just a shame about the sniper line of sight and the frame rate tanking when doing anything.

i wish i could spectate enemies who steal my stuff and see how well they do with them. i'd like to give them little encouragements too, like being a coach

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

VideoGames posted:

i wish i could spectate enemies who steal my stuff and see how well they do with them. i'd like to give them little encouragements too, like being a coach
Oh hey, didn't TF2 used to have a feature dedicated specifically to that - experienced players coaching newbies?

Seriously, the number of features introduced into this game and then abandoned without any attempt at improvement just astounds me.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 7, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Oh hey, didn't TF2 used to have a feature dedicated specifically to that - experienced players coaching newbies?

Seriously, the number of features introduced into this game and then abandoned without any attempt at improvement just astounds me.
My account still has a pop-up every time I play so I can give some of those glasses to the person who "helped me the most."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Coaching is still there, it's at the bottom of the main menu.

(Someone gave me one even though all I did was discover I had mic trouble and leave, and then I never used it again :v:)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ettin posted:

Coaching is still there, it's at the bottom of the main menu.
Yes. Arena, Medieval Mode and whatthefuckelse are also still in the server rotation. That doesn't mean they were not abandoned.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Otacon posted:

We also never really got an answer to what this is all about

Scout is holding what's probably supposed to be a red herring, so it was likely just a prank.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

xzzy posted:

Scout is holding what's probably supposed to be a red herring, so it was likely just a prank.

Or a reskinned trout

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well it's not like Valve was going to carefully model a reskin of the weapon to properly depict a herring. So they just tinted it red and called it a day.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
it makes me sad that the arena maps like alpine arent koth maps. thats huge enough to be great deathmatching fun.

same with there being two arena related achievements for scout.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dr. Dos posted:

were there even any good spots for this? I think the only place I ever used jumping with the scorch shot was getting up to the blue tunnel areas on Gravelpit B

I use it above the sniper perch on doublecross so I can knock people going for the health pack into the pit.

The Kins posted:

Ug, there's something I can't stand about Probed and I'm not sure what it is. I just never enjoy my time on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Today I tried running around with the wee booties, quickiebomb launcher and eyelander. It was...actually kind of amazing. Once I got the heads I was kind of monstrous, running around with bonus health and extreme speed and being extremely difficult for even scouts to deal with, and scouts are usually the bane of a roaming demoman.

• Locked thread