Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Buddy Baker is retiring from MRN due to lung cancer :smith:

Well gently caress.

CBJSprague24 posted:

A woman and her adult son are suing for medical costs resulting from minor injuries following the wreck at Daytona, in part because it was their first race and they "expected the catch fence to work".

Uhh...depending on your interpretation, I'd hazard a guess that it did work in that you weren't wearing the entire car.

Um, pretty sure all that fancy fine print on the ticket will cause a judge to laugh them out of court. Particularly if they have to sue in Florida (I have no idea how any of this works.)

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is it possible this was just a freak accident and we don't need to tear the whole thing down:ohdear:

I really don't know how that could be called anything other than a freak accident. There was that time that girl got hit by a hockey puck and died, and it's not like the NHL stopped happening. Life is dangerous sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Get rid of restrictor plates and let cars actually be faster than one another. That'll keep big ones from happening like this.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Elitist Bitch posted:

Um, pretty sure all that fancy fine print on the ticket will cause a judge to laugh them out of court. Particularly if they have to sue in Florida (I have no idea how any of this works.)

Well, that fine print is really directed at chucklefucks like that fence climber last year, or some drunk that trips and falls in the stands. When there's a pattern of spectators getting injured at the track every year, any potential lawsuit gains a bit more traction.

In this case, just like with Larson's, NASCAR is gonna settle for thousands of dollars to shut the story up.

IMO they're saving the court battle for the time when they actually kill a dozen people.

Panzeh posted:

Get rid of restrictor plates and let cars actually be faster than one another. That'll keep big ones from happening like this.

Uhhhhh.....

On the surface, I agree with you, but if this weekends crash happened with only 3 or 4 cars, except Dillon was doing 225mph instead of 195mph, we'd probably have that dozen dead.

You can't speed the cars up until the spectators are far more protected than they are currently. That's why I want them to install a secondary fence.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 8, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Can we swap out Curtis Turner for one more year for the Hall of Fame for Buddy Baker?

I'd prefer not to have a Pat Burns moment with Buddy, if we can...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

VikingSkull posted:

oh jesus christ not Buddy too :smith:

e- oh dear god

Link

legit tearing up reading that, goddamnit I love Buddy this sucks

God damnit.

Can we swap out Curtis Turner for one more year for the Hall of Fame for Buddy Baker?

I'd prefer not to have a Pat Burns moment with Buddy, if we can...

Oh, he just hopped into the induction express lane. I hope he makes it that long.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

On the other hand, no titles, so I get why he hasn't made it yet.

Doesn't make it suck any less, though, when loving Mary Jane France is there. Maybe the IMHF in Talladega is the one true HoF :dealwithit:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Steve Langley, Elmo Langley's son, posts in a FB group I'm in. Buddy and Elmo were great friends, and their families were close I guess. According to Steve, Buddy is in very bad shape and is bedridden. I guess they were keeping it hush hush until the end, so if what he says is true, Buddy doesn't have much left :smith:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Elitist Bitch posted:

I really don't know how that could be called anything other than a freak accident. There was that time that girl got hit by a hockey puck and died, and it's not like the NHL stopped happening. Life is dangerous sometimes.

That did lead to them and pretty much all other leagues putting up a catch net at opposite ends of the ice, though. They're barely noticeable on TV or in person, but I remember SI publishing a MASSIVE shitfit that a Blue Jackets season ticket holder threw about them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VikingSkull posted:

Uhhhhh.....

On the surface, I agree with you, but if this weekends crash happened with only 3 or 4 cars, except Dillon was doing 225mph instead of 195mph, we'd probably have that dozen dead.

You can't speed the cars up until the spectators are far more protected than they are currently. That's why I want them to install a secondary fence.

Yeah but without the plate that's not a wreck in the first place because Dillon isn't so crowded in.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

Steve Langley, Elmo Langley's son, posts in a FB group I'm in. Buddy and Elmo were great friends, and their families were close I guess. According to Steve, Buddy is in very bad shape and is bedridden. I guess they were keeping it hush hush until the end, so if what he says is true, Buddy doesn't have much left :smith:
Which group?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Panzeh posted:

Yeah but without the plate that's not a wreck in the first place because Dillon isn't so crowded in.

Cars get air all the time at non plate tracks, like at Pocono:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aYSJ4HKu0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoLqfhgFj-w&t=97s
Watkins Glen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FgeopsJKIM
Atlanta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5MrquaBBXQ
Fort Worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiXEQe36YCU
Dover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4LEUmfSp0
Rockingham??????

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 8, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, I get that, but like pnut posted you don't need a pack to get airborne. At unrestricted speeds there's a good chance a guy running solo could lose it, get airborne, and go through the fence. Trust me, a Cup car going 230 hitting the fence that they have this very minute is going to go straight through it.

the pre-72 group

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 8, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, I get that, but like pnut posted you don't need a pack to get airborne. At unrestricted speeds there's a good chance a guy running solo could lose it, get airborne, and go through the fence. Trust me, a Cup car going 230 hitting the fence that they have this very minute is going to go straight through it.

the pre-72 group
Nice profile picture.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Haha, thanks.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Buddy Baker is retiring from MRN due to lung cancer :smith:

Let me add to the :smith: train. gently caress.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I was thinking about this, and since tracks are tearing out seats anyway, let's just tear out the bottom dozen or so rows and build another fence or something. Those are the cheap seats anyway.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Elitist Bitch posted:

I was thinking about this, and since tracks are tearing out seats anyway, let's just tear out the bottom dozen or so rows and build another fence or something. Those are the cheap seats anyway.

it'll never work

also here, have a laugh courtesy of Buddy

:unsmith:

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

How the gently caress was that seventeen years ago? I'm gonna go tell some kids to get off my lawn now.

I've always been partial to Eli Gold too.

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 8, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Don't remind me, I graduated from high school in '98.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Don't remind me, I graduated from high school in '98.

I'm only a small number of years behind you there. I was on a r/NASCAR thread talking about the oldest race you remember, and people were talking about Earnhardt's death....I very clearly remember the last race of the 1992 season, the race that won Alan Kulwicki the championship, Petty's last race, Gordon's first. gently caress me, I'm too old to be on the internet. :smithicide:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I remember Petty's last win :colbert:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

VikingSkull posted:

Hell I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

Yes but can you remember his last win he didn't cheat in? no because he cheated in all of them

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Peanut President posted:

Yes but can you remember his last win he didn't cheat in? no because he cheated in all of them

If you're not cheating, you're not trying to win

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

the race to the next exit on the interstate

he didn't win that one though

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

anotherblownsave posted:

If you're not cheating, you're not trying to win

if you're not cheating, you're likely following the rules like a responsible person and not a child

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
No, that's only what you say if foreign teams are winning in your series.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is it possible this was just a freak accident and we don't need to tear the whole thing down:ohdear:

Right like that time edwards (i think) went into the fence a few years ago. Or the time that (I think it was larson) an engine and tire ended up in the stands because a car got air and went into the fence. I mean its not like its probably a 1.5 year avarage where a car ends up in the fence at a plate track (maybe my memory serves me wrong and I dont feel like googling) nascar keeps "fixing" the problem and it keeps happening because the real fix would piss off fans.

The real problem is, poo poo like this happens when you have 30+ cars doing 195mph 3 wide all within 1 second of each other... it takes a good .3 to .5 seconds to react to what you see.. thats half the f-ing field at daytona or 'dega. When the cars are that close something "freak" is bound to happen.. if there's a 1 in 100 chance it happens and you roll the dice 30 times.. its going to happen around once every 3 sessions.

As much as I first didn't like it.. bring back the 2 car tango super speedway package at least there was strategy, limitations of draft time and less deathy racing. I feel nascar isnt going to fix it until a driver or a fan ends up in a casket.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 9, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Two of the crashes you listed happened with the 2-car tango package. That aero package that encouraged cars to be in constant contact around turns and the trioval was really dangerous too.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Two of the crashes you listed happened with the 2-car tango package. That aero package that encouraged cars to be in constant contact around turns and the trioval was really dangerous too.

The one with the engine in the stands was 2013 2 car tango/train was earlier than that.

Edit: leaders are 2 cars the rest are bunched up.

https://youtu.be/zU8rIDyQbaY

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 9, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Nope, Larson's wreck was in a race that featured the two-car. Nationwide had a package that enabled it after Cup had lost it, and I'm pretty sure that's why you can only bump and not push in Xfinity now.

Instead of watching that lovely quality version, watch this one instead.

Two-car, pretty obviously so.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Blah my bad..

Well then.. as others said make it so they have to lift in the corners then.. plate racing will kill someone and soon.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

So you and I sitting at home, will have as much track time as SRA before the truck race tonight.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

So you and I sitting at home, will have as much track time as SRA before the truck race tonight.

More probably, I have about 500 laps in this week at Kentucky in a truck

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I didn't even know there was a truck race tonight.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the track is weeping, just like the fans

gonna go anyway

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

hey SRA spin out JWT on the pace laps? kthanks

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
SRA, that save was the stuff of legends.

Holy gently caress was that impressive :respek:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Maybe every track needs weepers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
dammit boomer come back

• Locked thread