Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Thaddius the Large posted:

We built a rack of PVC pipes so we could quickly rotate through tubes one at a time and prevent any single one from getting too warm, works just fine. As an added bonus it's way more stable than the ones that you get at a stand, after one incident where the tube fell over on lighting it became a pretty high priority.

I've done the same and the pvc ones hold up pretty well but the card board are crap. But even the pvc ones can give out after so many shots. But

Febreeze posted:

I mean, even if you're being safe, isn't there a chance an occasional shoddy firework might just explode right as you light it? Maybe JPP and this guy just got unlucky.

(I've never lit off fireworks so I don't know anything about them)

Every firework I've lit has a slow fuse that gives you plenty of time to get to safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I just saw the trailer for the gronk party cruise. if there was ever an event which needed a TFF goonmeet, it's this one

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Alter Ego posted:

I love how their minds are equating "used for 80 years" with "not racist".

It's like in the Freep threads when they use words like "blackamoor" and "Negroes".

No no, you misunderstand. They're just proudly continuing the racists traditions of the Washington Redskins. You see whether it's refusing to change their slur name, or to sign any black players, Washington has always led the nation in pro sports bigotry.

wandler20 posted:

Every firework I've lit has a slow fuse that gives you plenty of time to get to safety.

Also use a lighter at the end of a big stick, problem solved.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Febreeze posted:

I mean, even if you're being safe, isn't there a chance an occasional shoddy firework might just explode right as you light it? Maybe JPP and this guy just got unlucky.

Remind me to invite you over next year, I've got explosives and brisket aplenty! (Until the cops show up, which is likely quickly given I live around a ton of angry elderly people).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

NC-17 posted:

No no, you misunderstand. They're just proudly continuing the racists traditions of the Washington Redskins. You see whether it's refusing to change their slur name, or to sign any black players, Washington has always led the nation in pro sports bigotry.

Um, excuse me, but are you familiar with Robert Griffin III? That conclusively proves the Washington Redskins are not a racist organization, checkmate :smug:

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

TubeStank posted:

Cj wilson lost two fingers and will be all right.

After watching Arrested Development, I now can safely infer that the lost fingers were from his left hand.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Unless you are lighting fireworks from behind a glass pane at a distance there is no way to be safe. Esp mortars, I've seen mortar stands fall over, and I've seen mortars come out of the stand wrong and get about 15 feet in the air before showering the whole party in sparks

-somebody who could not hear out of his right ear for ~2 hours on the 4th because of firework stupidity

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

Yeah, that is totally possible! That's why you don't hold it in your loving hand while you light the loving firework. There isn't any shrapnel in the drat firework, so the only way to actually damage yourself is to put something directly over the spot where fire and poo poo comes out, or to actually be holding on to the drat thing.

Basically, you have to be trying to injure yourself.

Edit

^^^^^
Mortars are a whole different kind of monster and should be treated with the same caution you treat guns with, i.e., don't let unlicensed nfl players use them.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 8, 2015

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Remind me to invite you over next year, I've got explosives and brisket aplenty! (Until the cops show up, which is likely quickly given I live around a ton of angry elderly people).

Or you both could just come across the border and light up real fireworks without the cops giving a poo poo since they're actually legal here. :smug:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Or you could just not purchase fireworks at all because it's literally money going up in smoke and you can watch plenty of other people set them off for free and keep all your fingers

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

/\/\ but they make viking funerals more festive :smith:

Chichevache posted:

Basically, you have to be trying to injure yourself.

To a large degree yes. Fireworks are legal in NH and are ubiquitous, but that doesn't stop a little kid or two breaking into the stash and doing stupid poo poo with it every year.

Since moving to MA though, I hear about kids around here doing it an awful lot playing chicken and other dumb things.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blitz7x posted:

Or you could just not purchase fireworks at all because it's literally money going up in smoke and you can watch plenty of other people set them off for free and keep all your fingers

Why buy anything, material possessions are ultimately worthless

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
we're all gonna die anyway so what's the point

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ross Angeles posted:

Why buy anything, material possessions are ultimately worthless

Following the Chargers is a key tenant of my nihilist philosophy.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

we're all gonna die anyway so what's the point

lol if you have any hope of a better tomorrow

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

whypick1 posted:

Or you both could just come across the border and light up real fireworks without the cops giving a poo poo since they're actually legal here. :smug:

. . . holy poo poo, really? I thought Vancouver had the same tight restrictions as Portland for some reason, I really wish I had known that last week

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Redskins going 6-10 this season. #hope #RG3

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

lol if you have any hope of a better tomorrow

Tannehill improves every day!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Following the Chargers is a key tenant of my nihilist philosophy.

Arbeit Macht Frei

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
http://www.redskinsfacts.com/

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

quote:

Conrad sophomore Joseph Davis said, "A Redskin represents support, commitment, courage, heart, history, pride, but most importantly, tradition, love and honor. Through any difficulty, any loss, we as a student body, a community and a family are still proud to be Redskins.

He's right about one thing; the Redskins are history. :laugh:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Tannehill improves every day!

Guard falls down
Tannehill sacked
Concussion
Brain tumor discovered
Retires

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

. . . holy poo poo, really? I thought Vancouver had the same tight restrictions as Portland for some reason, I really wish I had known that last week

lolno, all the fun stuff that that they call the cops for down there comes from up here. In the 10 minutes it takes for me to get to the freeway I drove by 4 or 5 tents selling them.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Guard falls down
Tannehill sacked
Concussion
Brain tumor discovered
Retires

This sounds like something that would happen to the Browns

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Ross Angeles posted:

This sounds like something that would happen to the Browns

That would require the Browns to have a franchise QB. If this happens to anyone it will be the 49ers, especially after this offseason

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Guard falls down
Tannehill sacked
Concussion
Brain tumor discovered
Retires

God gave him that concussion so the tumor could be found and his life could be saved.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

From the Judge's ruling:

quote:

As a threshold matter, throughout the pleadings the parties conflated the legal principles surrounding trademarks with those surrounding trademark registration. Just as Allen Iverson once reminded the media that they were wasting time at the end of the Philadelphia 76ers season talking about practice and not an actual professional basketball game, the Court is similarly compelled to highlight what is at issue in this case-trademark registration, not the trademarks themselves. It is the registrations of the Redskins Marks that were scheduled for cancellation by the decision, not the trademarks. In fact, the TTAB itself pointed out that it is only empowered to cancel the statutory registration of the marks under Section it cannot cancel the trademarks themselves.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kalli posted:

From the Judge's ruling:

Boom, Judicially Roasted!

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

GNU Order posted:

Well yes but why is JJ watt still trying to take weak rear end shots at him every time he posts a pic of his face. P lame IMO.

Lol it's actually pretty loving funny and mettenberger seems to be the one who brought it up again.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

warcrimes posted:

Lol it's actually pretty loving funny and mettenberger seems to be the one who brought it up again.

Well, yeah, he finally thought up that sick burn!

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Sup fire work loving bros. Been doing fireworks since I could walk and had bottle rocket wars and did all kinds of stupid poo poo as a kid. No one was ever injured. Now we're more chill about fireworks in terms of stupid poo poo, but light of tons of big ones, including mortars.

Worst things to happen in recent memory were dud mortars that only went about 20 ft up -- no one majorly injured - and one of the 12 shot cakes just blowing up all at once instead of shooting poo poo up in the air. Again, no one hurt, because we're a safe distance from where fireworks go off.

How to avoid injuring self when doing fireworks:
- only one person lighting at a time(unless you're at the point in the evening when you're lighting off multiple mortars at once, in which case you're coordinating)
- always make sure your mortar will smoothly go down the tube, if not, get a new one
- rotate tubes so they don't get warped too fast and give them time to cool
- light that poo poo with a big rear end punk and run back once the fuse gets going

I've only experienced short wicks on two things -- really old fireworks I found buried in a closet and individual black cats that aren't the starter wick. even then, you can usually light and throw those.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I think JJ makes references to the Mett selfie thing when he posts his own selfies on instagram

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
he's right though

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, that is totally possible! That's why you don't hold it in your loving hand while you light the loving firework.

How can I shoot roman candles and bottle rockets at my brothers if I dont aim them with my hand?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chichevache posted:

God gave him that concussion so the tumor could be found and his life could be saved.

#blessed

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
With bottle rockets you get a pvc pipe and a fashion a crude shoulder mount and fire them like a bazooka

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Intruder posted:

With bottle rockets you get a pvc pipe and a fashion a crude shoulder mount and fire them like a bazooka

We always rip them off the stick and toss them into the creek. They still launch into the water and make cool water explosions.

Roman Candles are most of the firework injures in the US because people close their hand around them and THEN they explode.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Intruder posted:

I think JJ makes references to the Mett selfie thing when he posts his own selfies on instagram

This is news today because of Mettenberger's sick burns, though

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

NFL players blowing themselves up with fireworks and NBA players recruiting with emojis have really made the work day better today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You know, it never really struck me that they're actually divisional rivals.

Good on Mettenberger for taunting the bear, divisional rivals should be dicks to each other.

Sorry for what's going to happen to him though.

• Locked thread