Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Ror posted:

They could have milked most of the scenarios for a lot more character drama but instead it seemed like there was always a need to ratchet up the stakes and throw in more twists and move on to newfound exposition.

This is because the writers were actively writing against each other. One guy would introduce a neat idea/character, then the next writer would drop it or run the character into the ground or have it killed. The writers' room for Heroes was apparently toxic as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

They should just bring back Kristen Bell's character and have her run the show and form a private investigation business that investigates heroic stuff.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I wonder if the eclipse will actually mean something this time around

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

I think I've seen a poor man's hit girl there

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Save the Cosplayer, Save the World.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

They should just bring back Kristen Bell's character and have her run the show and form a private investigation business that investigates heroic stuff.

Considering she got murdered (by Sylar, if I remember right) that's going to be a bit hard.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Party Plane Jones posted:

Considering she got murdered (by Sylar, if I remember right) that's going to be a bit hard.

I'm sure there's someone out there that can raise the dead

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ror posted:

There are even plenty of characters whose role I barely remember but I can distinctly recall wishing we had more of them, like Malcolm McDowell as the healing guy

Well, every show would be better with more Malcolm McDowell in it. :colbert:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Azhais posted:

I'm sure there's someone out there that can raise the dead

That kid who killed his parents. When HRG had Peter take his powers for, ...something, I'm pretty sure he mentioned a similar incident had happened once or twice before.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

It's heroes so twin it will be

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Even the best action clips look lovely.

Someone jumps onto a car!

Noah Bennet awkwardly exits an elevator!

A sword strike leads to a backflip!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The two things I got from what were; the music from the original series was brilliant and so distinctive, and I'm totally down for another cheesy supernatural melodrama now that Sense8 has clicked for me. Just bring back Brea Grant, obviously.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Last Chance posted:

I wonder if the eclipse will actually mean something this time around

lol if you think they have anything planned out

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I like that they're bringing back badass ninja future Hiro, hopefully it's not just a cop out or tease. (It will be, of course)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Man, I haven't watched the show in so many years you can't expect me to remember such trivial details, gosh. :colbert:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

Man, I haven't watched the show in so many years you can't expect me to remember such trivial details, gosh. :colbert:

The first season is so weird in how divorced it is from the later seasons. People forget that Stana Katic had a pretty decent couple of episodes where she basically had the same power as Myka only to get bumped off/turned into Neo in a comic offscreen. Bob/Tobolowsky from the second season had a completely understated role in part because the clusterfuck of writing caused him to do reshoot after reshoot and also because he was recovering from a broken neck. It's why his death scene was so boring, he literally could not move his head without a risk of paralysis.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 29, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Two Heroes Reborn video games are being released to coincide with the show's premiere. They will serve as prequels to the series, filling in at least some of the 5 year gap in time between the last season of regular Heroes and the new show.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/08/2-heroes-reborn-games-will-act-as-prequels-to-the-show?abthid=559d8c1dbf3066b00f00000b

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh good, announcing licensed games a few months before they're supposed to be out, from mobile game devs, I think we have a couple of winners on our hands

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm still not going to be fooled into thinking this is going to be good after being led astray so many times by the same people, but that being said this does look many times better than anything we saw in the old series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FLHB2zB_cA

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It does look better but I'm not gonna say that looks good. They're really going overboard with the weird CGI.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Oh hey, Chuck (Zachary Levi) is in it. Fun.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think I'm getting tired of superheroes. Or at least serious takes on them.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 13, 2015

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The support group killer guy already looks insultingly boring. He's so clearly just them trying to reproduce the Sylar dynamic with a "powered serial killer who targets powered people!" character.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That does look a fair bit better than the other trailers and teasers but come on, it's loving Tim Kring.
Dude's a hack unfortunately.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Hannibal got cancelled for this?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

"Surprised to see me"

No Hiro not surprised, just disappointed.

Just has had to jam as many plot points and characters from the old show in there as possible didn't you show.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Samurai Hiro as present Hiro is nice, but I'm just not sold on this series, especially with trying to duplicate Sylar with Zach Levi.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

mastajake posted:

Oh hey, Chuck (Zachary Levi) is in it. Fun.
If the writers end up liking him, I bet you any money that they try to set him on a redemption arc in a future season where they try to wash away his mass murder by making it an internal issue that he needs to overcome.

I'm kidding obviously. There is no way this is getting another season.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So how much better does it actually look as opposed to how much better it seems with that super dramatic music overlaid on all of it?

I do genuinely like the idea of a show about powered people being hunted and how they react. Hell, it's X-Men in a nutshell. Pity it has to be this show that's doing it.

Also, with all the people coming back, I'm wondering if we'll ever see Peter's girlfriend who he abandoned in a dead future.

Also also - isn't Mohinder a spider person now who webs people up and eats them?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
No, he got cured by the Catalyst from Hiro's mom which was the ingredient needed to perfect the power formula and also I remember way more about this show than any person ever should.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm having horrible flashbacks, too. If it gets any worse I'm calling veteran's affairs for coping tips.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know TVIV loves nothing more than post endlessly about bad shows rather than actually watch or discuss good shows but the trailers coming out for this are at worst kind of bland and inoffensive, and show some actual promise.

Also season 4 was absolutely better than 2 and 3. As goofy as season 4 was, it was actually a proper "comic book story" with T-Bag as Dirt Magneto. Season 3 was so bad that Robert Forrester couldn't even redeem it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

Also season 4 was absolutely better than 2 and 3.

Well I'm sold.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He's not wrong. The part where they stop Samuel from murdering a bunch of people/revealing powered people to the world so Claire can reveal powered people to the world by murdering herself and getting back up again on live TV was pretty funny.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

precision posted:

I know TVIV loves nothing more than post endlessly about bad shows rather than actually watch or discuss good shows

We actually post about why good shows ARE bad shows.

quote:

but the trailers coming out for this are at worst kind of bland and inoffensive, and show some actual promise.
Let's give it up for bland! I mean, if the 90 seconds they hype us with are boring, the entire season has to be great! That's how trailers work!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Golden Bee posted:

Let's give it up for bland! I mean, if the 90 seconds they hype us with are boring, the entire season has to be great! That's how trailers work!

I didn't say this will be a great, or even a good, show. I just said the trailers are actually quite promising, especially given what they have to work with (Mohinder returning, e.g.)

People might not give TVIV so much poo poo if there were any middle ground between "this show gave me orgasms. plural" and "this show gave me cancers. plural".

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The only purpose of trailers is to make the product "look promising"

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Or when Peter left his girlfriend in that post-apocalyptic New York.

Even worse, and seemingly overlooked, was when Hiro left his friend in the future in a desert alone to rot (2 minutes in the future). But there was another version of him in the present so it was ok.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I do genuinely like the idea of a show about powered people being hunted and how they react.

So the second half of season 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
A good show about powered people being hunted and how they react.

• Locked thread