Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Can I suggest Dave Graffam's line of paper houses as a cheap option for Frostgrave townships? You can get them printed at Kinko's for not much money, or go whole hog and pick up a color laser printer.

http://www.davesgames.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I have so much GW fantasy terrain that I'm actually really looking forward to getting it all built and on the table. I never bothered before since moving blocks of infantry through a city was kind of lovely.

Once this bad boy shows up, it should be a pretty kickass table.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Warband rules are generic, you can just use Dwarf minis.

A Sigilist wizard could be used as a Runesmith.

*pokes head up from engine nest and hisses*

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

muskets posted:

The plastics're on 25mm rounds, if that helps. I thought I'd heard about a US stockist, but I can't for the life of me remember where or who, so I may have imagined that.

Brigade Games is their NA distributor

http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/Frostgrave_c_578.html

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd try to ask interview questions about the design process, the story behind the game, what fluff isn't in the book, what got cut, etc.

More information about the game would be awesome, but we'll have the book in a week so much of it would be redundant.

TKIY posted:

Once this bad boy shows up, it should be a pretty kickass table.

This is a thing of beauty.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

This is a thing of beauty.

I kickstarted it when my group got into Mordheim but it should also be great for Warmachine and Frostgrave :)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
In case you haven't seen it, this guy did a great looking table using the World Works Games Himmelveil tiles on foamcore. Definitely lighter and cheaper than the G&G boards (assuming they ever show up) and more modular to boot.

ParsleyTroll
Nov 26, 2007
This game really speaks to me, I loved Mordheim back in the day! Thanks for the excellent op. A pre-order of the rulebook and a pack of the plastic soldiers ain't far off..

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
I already preordered the rulebook, two wizard blisters and a box of troops, and I'm making troops in advance from old Empire Militia sprues and Perry infantry. Gonna dig through the Reaper Bones stash and my Mantic undead later for wizards and monsters, too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I think my ALREADY PAINTED warmachine devil dogs will do the trick

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I might get it and use some Clan Wars figures I still have laying about.

Some shugenja and Samurai up in this poo poo. Egyptian stuff could be cool too.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
This game looks pretty cool, so I preordered the rulebook and ordered a box of troops and a box of viking hirdmen which I hope will give a ton of extra troops.
Osprey shipped the book today, so I really hope this is one of the times where it only take 2-3 days for a box from England to show up.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The book is $20 on Amazon so I pre-ordered a copy. I missed the boat on Mordheim a long time ago and I've been interested in a similar game for a while. Unfortunately, I don't have any regular humans that'll work so I'm going to have to figure out something for models. I might be proxying dwarfs or something like mentioned earlier in the thread. Ooh, or maybe a necromancer and his henchmenskellingtons.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a use for my WHFB models. :v:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The only summoned/created undead type is Zombie so skeletons won't even be confusing!

The spells are a really interesting mix. There's only really one school that's at all about using magic to burn things, and even then there's so many other interesting things you can do with magic that I don't see myself picking more than one spell like that at best.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, there seems to be an excellent variety.

I bet you could do a "Cleric" style Wizard by using Thaumaturgy and choosing mostly healy/defensive stuff. Is there anything that'd make a decent stand in for Turn Undead?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The only summoned/created undead type is Zombie so skeletons won't even be confusing!
Sweet, I happen to have a bunch of them laying around too. :v:

The only issue I see with running a necromancer-led warband made out of Vampire Counts models is that none of the models have ranged weapons. They can always be converted if needed though. Direwolves will make decent warhounds and grave guard are perfect for knights and templars. I'm probably out of luck for thieves, etc. but maybe ghouls could count as something. I did notice in a review I checked out that there are actual neutral skeletons, but I can always work around that.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Safety Factor posted:

The only issue I see with running a necromancer-led warband made out of Vampire Counts models is that none of the models have ranged weapons. They can always be converted if needed though. Direwolves will make decent warhounds and grave guard are perfect for knights and templars. I'm probably out of luck for thieves, etc. but maybe ghouls could count as something. I did notice in a review I checked out that there are actual neutral skeletons, but I can always work around that.

In practice although it would be best to have WYSIWYG just having ranged and close combat models differentiated would likely be enough. Its only a 10 miniature a side game (11 maximum).

You could even paint the rim of the base on models with ranged weapons in a pinch.

Thanks everyone for Dwarf suggestions, i'll be looking into all that once i've played a few games and know its worth creating a nice warband for (i've got generics and a necromancer coming which will be enough for non campaign games).

If this takes off I might need dogges as well. Chaos warhounds and Warmachine war boars are an option.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

If anyone is in Australia like me, you can get the rulebook shipped from BookDepository for ~AU$27 aka USD$20.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Frostgrave-Joseph-McCullough/9781472805041

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MrFlibble posted:

In practice although it would be best to have WYSIWYG just having ranged and close combat models differentiated would likely be enough. Its only a 10 miniature a side game (11 maximum).

You could even paint the rim of the base on models with ranged weapons in a pinch.
Oh no, I'm big on converting so I'll want to make everything WYSIWYG. Plus, it's only 10-ish models so it's super simple.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really hope this is an homage figure.

That's how you do an homage figure, not BAM IN YOUR FACE HERE'S THE CAST OF FIREFLY BUT ZOMBIES.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

I really hope this is an homage figure.

That's how you do an homage figure, not BAM IN YOUR FACE HERE'S THE CAST OF FIREFLY BUT ZOMBIES.

Haha holy poo poo, that is awesome. I hope their sculpting budget allows for a white pegasus. Or maybe he'll have a spell called "The Power of Wings..."

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Haha holy poo poo, that is awesome. I hope their sculpting budget allows for a white pegasus. Or maybe he'll have a spell called "The Power of Wings..."

He won't have spells - that's the Apothecary, not a wizard.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You could totally use him as an Alchemist Wizard. :colbert:

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Is there an over/under on the book (and plastic soldiers!) being available at Gencon?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Malthusian posted:

Is there an over/under on the book (and plastic soldiers!) being available at Gencon?

Official release date is July 21st, so I'd say its pretty likely! Dunno about the soldiers.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I had some mans money floating around so I jumped in on the Nickstarter (Pre order program) and soon I will be getting me a wizard pair, a soldier box, the rule book plus the extras. Pretty reasonable amount of stuff for $111 NZ shipped; way better start up price then say a more recent release.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
Pretty keen to give this a try out, will have to grab a copy via Book Depository.
A shame I only just found out about the Nickstarter, that said I've got heaps too many left overs from mordheim campaigns that I should probably use

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

muskets posted:

He won't have spells - that's the Apothecary, not a wizard.

I was more referencing the Wendell character from the image, not expecting them to actually do a pegasus or a spell based on a song.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Anyone know if Frostgrave will support guns? Or is it all bows? If you can use guns it'll open up a huge amount of minis for use.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Anyone know if Frostgrave will support guns? Or is it all bows? If you can use guns it'll open up a huge amount of minis for use.

Just proxy. Call your guns crossbows and use those stats. This ain't GW son.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

TKIY posted:

Just proxy. Call your guns crossbows and use those stats. This ain't GW son.

Well with this mindset there's nothing stopping me from using my Deadzone minis

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

In most games crossbows and early powder firearms are similar in rules, not sure about fusion rifles.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

signalnoise posted:

Honestly if I was playing this game I would have no problem with you using a bunch of scifi space soldiers and having your 'wizard' be some sort of central AI/liaison to your spaceship for fire support/etc, go wild and have a good time. Bring your old StarShip Troopers models and use a Brainbug as the wizard, whatever.

Assuming that you are cool with those guys dying to a bunch of savages with pointy sticks, obviously. :v:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ashcans posted:

Honestly if I was playing this game I would have no problem with you using a bunch of scifi space soldiers and having your 'wizard' be some sort of central AI/liaison to your spaceship for fire support/etc, go wild and have a good time. Bring your old StarShip Troopers models and use a Brainbug as the wizard, whatever.

Assuming that you are cool with those guys dying to a bunch of savages with pointy sticks, obviously. :v:

Yeah, same, but I think the plot point where sci fi shows crash land in medieval shows to be entertaining so I may be a philistine.

I would also expect you to be okay with having power armour as good as plate mail and plasma rifles as good as crossbows or whatever, though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

spectralent posted:

Yeah, same, but I think the plot point where sci fi shows crash land in medieval shows to be entertaining so I may be a philistine.

I would also expect you to be okay with having power armour as good as plate mail and plasma rifles as good as crossbows or whatever, though.

Everyone knows that power armor is designed to diffuse lasers/plasma and is poorly suited to protecting against actual projectiles when they've run out of batteries.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

spectralent posted:

Someone should put together a Stargate team, and then you would have your entire justification built in!

Also works for the 'Doctor Who and Companions' group.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I would be willing to bet that if you took 40k figs, used 40k terrain and just wrote an set of model/equipment equivalences this would make a kick rear end replacement for Kill Team and/or Inquisitor.

Spells become psychic powers, wizards become Inquisitors or rogue/xenos psykers, warbands become Inquistorial Henchman or Cutlists.

Done.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I know my wizard will probably be a grey seer, with some rat-like henchmen. I mean gotta use the models for something, and I still like my Skaven fluff.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Mr.Booger posted:

I know my wizard will probably be a grey seer, with some rat-like henchmen. I mean gotta use the models for something, and I still like my Skaven fluff.

I am doing this if I can round anybody to play this with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Have there been any beta rules posted or people who have actually played? I pre-ordered the book as a Mordheim alternative/compliment, but I don't want to play $20 for something that looks pretty but isn't a very good game.