Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I am having a really hard time replaying some of the older games I've already beat. I don't know how some people can burn right through the FFV Fiesta 4-8 times like they do but there you go.

Also one of my cats didn't come home last night and now I am worried sick that something happened to her. I hope she comes home safely soon. :(

good luck with the cat.

i'm with you on replay too. i very rarely do it because there are hundreds of games i've never played lurking out there. my exceptions are when i find out about a super cheesy gimmick that breaks a game hard. then i can't resist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

For something the length of an RPG, I usually only replay if there are alternate paths or it's been long enough that I've forgotten a good 40% of the details. I like to pick up short-rear end games and blast through them on a whim, though. Turtles in Time? I got an hour.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Once you've played FFV, unless you're doing a berserker or solo challenge, you can run through pretty quickly. The Fiesta adds a lot of replayability because each run is different and you get to use new tools for every boss.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Oh yeah, I'd go through a run of Binding of Isaac regularly, but that's not a game that is really about beating it insomuch as it is the video gaming equivalent to a bowl of popcorn.

In other news, I got accepted into the Gigantic Alpha Test. It's a fun little third person shooter with MOBA-like elements. I only got to play a handful of games yesterday but the ones I did play were a lot of fun, can't wait to give it another go.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
i will always have either a souls game or super metroid game on the go.

super metroid is more of a one sitting thing at this point though

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What the hell is going on with Devil's Third?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqWfcPfxnmc

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm still looking forward to it, poo poo production values or not

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

What the hell is going on with Devil's Third?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqWfcPfxnmc

It's really bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

For something the length of an RPG, I usually only replay if there are alternate paths or it's been long enough that I've forgotten a good 40% of the details.

I legitimately could not tell you anything about what happens in FF9 after disc 2.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

I legitimately could not tell you anything about what happens in FF9 after disc 2.
Here's a hint: all the awesome bits.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
except for the bad triple triad clone tourney

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually do remember the tourney, it's on Disc 2 i thought? seemed like it was early in the game cause Garnet wasn't Dagger yet, i think?

i dunno man that game's story is like Jupiter Ascending in terms of sheer anime weed holy poo poo, hold on, both games feature a furry male lead and the concept of harvesting planets.... :whoah:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
its on disc 3 and it blows

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Are there any fun gimmick runs in the first Paper Mario other than waiting to upgrade health last? Unlike TTYD, BP caps at 30, so you can't just level it up for almost the entire game, and I can't really think of anything other than maybe blowing a lot of money on Chet Rippo and living with the consequences.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Critical feline update: She's home, and is currently grooming her sister in a most :shobon: way.

Good kitty. :3:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Heavy Lobster posted:

Are there any fun gimmick runs in the first Paper Mario other than waiting to upgrade health last? Unlike TTYD, BP caps at 30, so you can't just level it up for almost the entire game, and I can't really think of anything other than maybe blowing a lot of money on Chet Rippo and living with the consequences.

I recall there being a gimmick build based around never upgrading your health and relying on badges that give you huge buffs when your health is at danger/peril levels, dunno if that's what you're referring to but if not then look that up.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Oo benis

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Critical feline update: She's home, and is currently grooming her sister in a most :shobon: way.

Good kitty. :3:

if you live in america "keep the fuckers inside"

if you live in uk "supervise the garden time"

if you live elsewhere an asian man may eat your cat.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

precision posted:

Garnet wasn't Dagger yet, i think?

This happens in like the first 1.5 hours of the game. Are you thinking of the scene where she cuts her hair?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FF9's plot is so much simpler than 7 or 8's.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The COD franchise's quest to absorb all other franchises, like some sort of frightening FPS AKIRA, continues unabated. If you've seen COD BLOPS THREE MP footage you know it's already absorbing TITANFALL and CRYSIS into itself, and now with the COD BLOPS THREE BUT WITH ZOMBIES footage we now know it intends to become BIOSHOCK 3 and THE DARKNESS 3 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdLqsWDl16c

Motto posted:

It's really bad.
Yeah but I mean what's with it not getting released in North America? It's already dated in Japan and Europe.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/10/devils-third-wont-be-published-by-nintendo-of-america-but-it-is-coming-here/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Real hurthling! posted:

if you live in america "keep the fuckers inside"

if you live in uk "supervise the garden time"

if you live elsewhere an asian man may eat your cat.

My cat really wants to go outside and chase pigeons but I'm scared to death she'll get clobbered by the cars, this being an apartment complex. I feel guilty as heck keeping her inside though :(

I hope I have time to get around to playing Ori and the Blind Forest this weekend, I've only played the first 10-15 minutes. Wanna play that before I try Valdis Story.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

My cat really wants to go outside and chase pigeons but I'm scared to death she'll get clobbered by the cars, this being an apartment complex. I feel guilty as heck keeping her inside though :(

get a harness and take her outside and go where she wants to go.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

See, that means it's ripe for replaying. Although I'd recommend replaying something a little better.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Here's a hint: all the awesome bits.

FF9 has no awesome bits, unless you count making the hidden superboss a beach ball.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

FF9 has no awesome bits, unless you count making the hidden superboss a beach ball.

:whitewater:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

See, that means it's ripe for replaying. Although I'd recommend replaying something a little better.

Your posting just keeps on getting worse.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Lurdiak posted:

:yikes:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The love story of Beatrix and Steiner is a romantic comedy of errors for the ages

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

That one scene with Steiner trying the pickles

The guards reaction to his bag of pickles later is my reaction to that one guys post

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your posting just keeps on getting worse.

If you take out the references to older games it's just another FF with a bad story and mediocre mechanics. And Kuja is like the worst villain in the franchise.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

If you take out the references to older games it's just another FF with a bad story and mediocre mechanics. And Kuja is like the worst villain in the franchise.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

lol

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That is a p. good joke, I will redact my statement to say that the awesome parts of FF9 don't make up for its flaws.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

FF9 was boring crap, just like all the NES/SNES Final Fantasies.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have already had the Final Fantasy 9 discussion, so I will just say that many of the Final Fantasy games are fun and this guy is an rear end in a top hat.

Ekster posted:

FF9 was boring crap, just like all the NES/SNES Final Fantasies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF9 did have the best font of all the mainline FF games.

I just restarted Lightning Returns. So I can actually finish it. Because it owns.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Is there a rule that every thread in Games has to have a dadjoke in its title or is it just one of those things that has been happening for so long that nobody really questions it anymore.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
can we please agree to a cease fire on hosed up avatars what in the actual gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hubris.height posted:

can we please agree to a cease fire on hosed up avatars what in the actual gently caress

:yikes:

• Locked thread