Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
MURDER DEATH KILL
(Still going with the "voting for what I didn't do" strategy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Kill them all.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Shoot them. They made themselves combatants as far as I'm concerned. Kill them all.

Especially if they turn to run.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kill

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014
Take a deep breath, send a few bullets into the sky. They're dead anyways, save the bullets for when you need them.
Just out of curiosity though, are grenades an option?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Adams wants the order, give it to him.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > B̧̦̱̎̌͗̄́͐́e̛̺ͨ͑̒͋͝͠ͅc̷̲̱͙̬̬͕̺ͤ̽̎̾̎ͬͯ͢ơ͔̖͚̠̈ͦ̒ͬͭ͛mͭͩ͊ͬ̊̍̇͏̡͙̻͝e̵͖̳͂̉͒͜ ̶̢͙̄̅ͦ͠a̵̰̜͎ͤ͂͑ͣ̎̇̋̓ͣ ̶̭̠̤̝̯̘͍̥̳ͮͧ͗ͥ̊ͧ̿͋̀͢Ṁ͔̪̼́ͣ̑͝o͚ͮ̏ͩͫ̚͢͡͞n̴̡͚̖̊̍̒͟ͅs̹̺̹͆̑̓̐͗͊́͢t̠̺̱̱̙͉͂̾ͥ͘͘é̛̱̥̹ͦͩ̇͆ͯͅr̞̙̜͉̥̝̜͎͐̋ͦ̔͟ ̶̵̯̯̗̦̮̖͛ͨ͛̉ͅW̵̡͎̫͉̞̓͊͊͐͐̇ͪ̊̿͘iͬ͛̂̃ͤ̍̌̋̚͏̙̣͎͎͓̮͙̣͞ͅţ̬̮̲̾ͥͤ̉ͪ̊́͡ḩ̫̺̜ͣͯ͐ͫ͒ͪͬ͡͡ ̡̹̊̔̈́͋̊̎̚͜Ḿ̡͕̟͕̜̥̳͈̱ͣe̛̛͕̝͓̓͒̎͑ͮ́͑.̯̣̹̹̼̹̿ͪ̅̿͝͝ Let's Play Spec Ops: The Line!

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Cut them all down.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
Frag em

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Punch the nearest one in their stupid face.

I like how even though his face is a huge mess, you can see Walker's on the verge of tears when he pulls the rope off.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
This was where the game's dissonance lost me on my first playthrough. We've just fought off the better part of a company, including a dude in EOD armor who can stop bullets with his face and a man trying to carve our heart out with a bayonet, and we're supposed to feel pressured by women with rocks?

Choice: You say you're a soldier? Act like it. Escalation of force: fire a few rounds in the air before throwing flashbangs if necessary.

Tajuh posted:

Still loving this LP, and playing the role of someone playing this for the first time works well.
Not really. He's way loving over selling it. (No offense, CJ.) It's hard to really get into the game's psychological space when the voiceover is piping in with, "Ohhh, I'm so not examining the reasons for any of this! Until right now, and suddenly I'm super upset!"

VVV I just think a more restrained approach would suit the game better :shrug:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 11, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Not really. He's way loving over selling it. (No offense, CJ.) It's hard to really get into the game's psychological space when the voiceover is piping in with, "Ohhh, I'm so not examining the reasons for any of this! Until right now, and suddenly I'm super upset!"

Some people like the LP gimmick, some people don't like the LP gimmick.

Either is cool.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
I have to admit that the screaming into the mic at the end of last episode was a little bit over the top.

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014
I like to think a gimmick like this is like acting in pro-wrestling. It's not about being perfectly believable. And it might be sort of stupid, but that's part of the charm

That said you were blowing out your mic something fierce.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

It'd be pretty inconsistent to change tack now. Kill 'em all and let god sort 'em out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I do have to agree on the screaming. You're getting so much louder than the game that it actually hurts my ears or bothers other people when it happens.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Max Payne, Dead Space, now this. CJacobs sure likes LPing games where the protagonist has a loosening grip on reality.

Mow them all down. Armalite be praised. :unsmigghh:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'm alright with the screaming, but at times you could tone it down just a little.

That said, no more killing. Shoot upwards.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Don't stifle creativity. Let the man scream if he feels like screaming. :colbert:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
My only beef with the screaming is it sounded like he blew his mic out at the end there; definitely go for it but just be careful or edit the levels in post for the sake of us who listen to everything with headphones. :shobon:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In the future there will be less clipping.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Blood for the blood god. Skulls for the skull throne. :black101:

Walker's obviously not rational now. Khorne be praised.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Throw a sticky.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

Throw a sticky.

I have no idea what happens if you do this, but I kinda want to see it now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

VVV I just think a more restrained approach would suit the game better :shrug:

You do know OatmealRaisin's LP of Spec Op exists, right?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

nine-gear crow posted:

Don't stifle creativity. Let the man scream if he feels like screaming. :colbert:

in this case I say empty your handgun (if you still have it) into the air while screaming "aaaaahhhhh"

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

It is shameful for a demon to be working
Since I know there's several options here and think we should try something new and stupid, try shoot Adams in the leg. I have a feeling this will do what I think it's going to do.

ally_1986 posted:

shoot one person, make an example!

Then lie at your war crime tribunal.

It would be a very short war crime tribunal since it would end at approximately the point the defence told the judge this wasn't a war. In fact, being as the UAE in this world seems to have completely washed its hands of Dubai and says all its citizens are dead, they'd probably argue Walker couldn't possibly have killed anyone and must be suffering from heatstroke and dehydration and bad writing.

Tajuh posted:

Still loving this LP, and playing the role of someone playing this for the first time works well.

For some reason the phrase "you create your own" comes to mind.

Notes:

*I have a feeling this area is supposed to have been one of the palm marinas (you saw one in the distance at the start of the previous level, and they call it "the marina" at the start of the next level) that's been blocked off from the ocean and clogged up with sand while the remaining water in it evaporated. I guess you could also be in a sand-clogged Port Rashid which is much nearer the Burj Khalifa than the Palms are. There's some geographical weirdness here in that the Dubai Mall is literally next to the Burj Khalifa; both scripts seem to do that and it's kind of weird since it means Walker went after Radioman despite that it took him further from the place he was trying to get to. In Pearsey's script the idea seems to have been that they wanted to signal the US forces before they tried to go after him.

*Also, on the right side of the stage is what appears to be a low-detail version of Roman Abramovich's giga-yacht Eclipse. I'm not really sure why such a large yacht wouldn't have either left as soon as trouble was brewing or have been seized for use in the evacuation, I guess it's just a Symbol of Man's Futile Excess or something.

It's at least not quite as on-the-nose and stupid as the disaster movie cliche intel you get at the crashed A380 (behold, the rich people thought their riches would save them, not knowing natural disasters are magnetically attracted to large concentrations of money). I found that one really disappointing because it could easily have linked into the theme (the plane crashed after taking off overloaded because the pilot was trying to be a hero and save more people than he had the means to).

Whoever wrote that one also didn't know the plane in the game has four visible engines or that an A380 could not be caught by an 80 knot wind unless it was flying 60 knots below stall speed.

*You've actually already missed one AA-12 shotgun, there's one in the water depot.

*Just to quote Killing is Harmless for a good example of why not to buy it:

quote:

We go past one boat called White Bird as a literal white bird (maybe a seagull?) flies off the hull into the sky. Maybe a ham-fisted metaphor that any chance of peace has flown away from Dubai?

So yes, stock_seagull_sound.wav did not clue him in to the seagull being a seagull, seeing a seagull by the coast must be a metaphor rather than it being where you'd reasonably expect to find one, and the metaphor requires that you not know the difference between a seagull and a dove.

Watching Keogh trying to be thoughtful is like watching a dog trying to figure out what the washing machine is.

*Walker has now switched to the "cartoonishly overdone" set of voice barks. Now he hates being shot! He says gently caress when he gets shot now!

*You are overdoing this schtick. Anyone who knows serious war movies or games knows the joker character always dies to show the Merciless Nature Of War, it's called the Goose Law.

*As well as the whole thing of the crowd being shown as a monolithic mass with one will, this whole scene is stupid because the "crowd of civilians" isn't anything of the sort. They are not "combatants" as the game claims later because they are not operating under any chain of command, but they are not unarmed because Lugo's three weapons are not accounted for and they can kill you with the weapons they do have to hand. Indeed, the fact that they're staying their ground against two men with automatic weapons would suggest that they do have Lugo's guns. One of which is actually about twenty yards from here, they didn't think to grab that?

In reality they'd probably all gently caress off the instant Adams and Walker showed up since they'd assume they'd come to kill them. Crowds only act like this if there's some basic understanding that the people they're facing will show restraint, and this lot are supposed to think the Delta team are remorseless murderers and have one of them waving a loaded machine gun at them. And that's operating under the unjustified assumption that any of them would have any idea who Adams, Walker or Lugo were to begin with, I suppose that information was distributed to them by the Foreign People Hive Mind.

The game breaks the scenario by having them able to kill the two of you if you do nothing at all; while it shows them throwing rocks, mechanically they're basically armed with rifles. If it was just them hurling abuse and garbage at you and they weren't clearly linked to Lugo's killing it might give you some degree of insight into how angry, frustrated soldiers can take out that anger on innocent people they think have wronged them, but the game is asking you to feel sorry for a murderous, armed lynch mob.

Evil Tim fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 11, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
your notes sounds like the ramblings of a mad man

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Evil Tim posted:

*Walker has now switched to the "cartoonishly overdone" set of voice barks. Now he hates being shot! He says gently caress when he gets shot now!

Oh come on now, :black101:angry, unhinged psycho:black101: Walker is best Walker. I personally thought the whole "red mist descending, urge to kill growing" thing he gets going is a really nice touch. It certainly beats the silent protagonists or detached wisecrackers we get in other games and it adds another dimension to his character growth.

Evil Tim posted:

The game breaks the scenario by having them able to kill the two of you if you do nothing at all; while it shows them throwing rocks, mechanically they're basically armed with rifles. If it was just them hurling abuse and garbage at you and they weren't clearly linked to Lugo's killing it might give you some degree of insight into how angry, frustrated soldiers can take out that anger on innocent people they think have wronged them, but the game is asking you to feel sorry for a murderous, armed lynch mob.

I would argue that if the mob stood relatively passively just shouting abuse and throwing pebbles or rotten fruit at the player instead of actively trying to harm them there would really be no dilemma in play. Shooting them woudn't make any sense from a gameplay standpoint in that situation, however much it would better fit the narative. It would need the player to actively buy into Walker's frame of mind at that point, instead of reacting organically to the situation. And as we've already established with the extensive criticism of the WP scene, if the choice was removed from the player the decision to shoot would lose a great deal of its weight. So at least in this instance it seems like not only have the goalposts moved, but they're on the entire other side of the pitch and what you'd prefer is that the player is constrained to making a bad decision arbitrarily, something that was a big sore point with the whole mortar situation.

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

TomViolence posted:

I would argue that if the mob stood relatively passively just shouting abuse and throwing pebbles or rotten fruit at the player instead of actively trying to harm them there would really be no dilemma in play. Shooting them woudn't make any sense from a gameplay standpoint in that situation, however much it would better fit the narative. It would need the player to actively buy into Walker's frame of mind at that point, instead of reacting organically to the situation. And as we've already established with the extensive criticism of the WP scene, if the choice was removed from the player the decision to shoot would lose a great deal of its weight. So at least in this instance it seems like not only have the goalposts moved, but they're on the entire other side of the pitch and what you'd prefer is that the player is constrained to making a bad decision arbitrarily, something that was a big sore point with the whole mortar situation.

No, I'm saying the gameplay scenario doesn't match what the story tells you it is. Mechanically, here you have a firing squad who will execute you after a timer expires unless you make them go away somehow. It wants you to accept this firing squad is a pitiful group of unarmed people. These two things don't match.

The WP sequence didn't work because it was a cheap, forced "gotcha!" of making the player do something and then having it have horrible consequences; if you saw them coming, tough poo poo, it was going to blame you for it anyway. This is supposed to be the player choosing of their own accord to do something or not do something, but the scenario is still structured to force the player to take some kind of action in an extremely artificial way; the unarmed civilians murdering you isn't really any different from the magic snipers with god aim respawning infinitely on a building you don't even target in the WP sequence.

Just hoping the player is frustrated enough to take potshots at people who are being obnoxious to them after the loss of a friend might not get you the "he killed thems" result as often, but it does at least match what the story wants doing that to represent.

Evil Tim fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 11, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

angry, unhinged Walker caught me off guard with one of his statements. If he gets shot at enough times by one enemy and then you finally kill that enemy Walker lets out this really exasperated "fuuuuck you". It's cool and kinda nice to show the variety.

Of course I might be misremembering and he says that if he gets shot too many times, can't recall exactly but I do remember thinking it was a good delivery from North

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Shoot Evil Tim for being a massive buzzkill.

I kid, I kid.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

Of course I might be misremembering and he says that if he gets shot too many times, can't recall exactly but I do remember thinking it was a good delivery from North
He gets a lot of sneering at because he's everywhere and people have him in the "generic voice" label (up there with Steve Blum - who is way more recognizable), but North is a pretty drat good VA. Hell, try playing DotA2 and identify everything he voices there - you're bound to miss a bunch, his range is crazy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

IronSaber posted:

I kid, I kid.

Retroactively changing my vote to this.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Don't worry ET, you're still a good person.

Rather than going point by point (I can if you're interested, but I'm not sure how interesting wordy versions of "I disagree" can be after the 30th time you hear it), I'm gonna focus on one opinion:

Evil Tim posted:

Killing is Harmless is the Citizen Kane of ebooks

I enjoyed the read myself, because it's adorable how he totally misremembers things like who delivers which line and how the game mechanics work. But I also enjoyed seeing what I noticed and he didn't or vice-versa, or things I noticed and took a totally different way. Like I said before, you will certainly realize where your opinions of the game stand while reading it.

For example, the part you mentioned earlier where he mistakes a particular graffiti drawing for a Statue of Liberty interpretation:

I thought that was interesting because he, a non-American, took it as a reference to a well-known symbol of the U.S., while I, an American, took it as a reference to Abu Ghraib. I found that difference in association pretty stark.

Sidenote: I freaking love the graffiti in this game.

Wiggy Marie fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 11, 2015

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

IronSaber posted:

I kid, I kid.

We should've done this 12 pages ago.

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

Wiggy Marie posted:

My cat took a dump and I made it into a casserole.

Fake-quoting is obnoxiously passive-aggressive.

Brendan's book, for want of a more abusive term, is a waste of money, and for people who have failed to unlock the infinite money cheat in real life that's reason enough to not want it. The way to formulate good opinions is to study the facts and background of the things those opinions relate to, not read a book by someone who knows even less than you do and wanders around starry-eyed at how intellectual he is for his ability to create halfassed broken metaphors and talk at length about things he has no desire to ever understand. All that can possibly do is compound your ignorance through repetition.

I mean nevermind how loving patronising he can be at times. Oh, these poor people and their meek existence and how the hell did he seriously type that without some part of his body rising up and throttling him.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I was just making a joke. I thought it was funny, anyway. Different strokes!

Hey CJacobs, I only just noticed the animation you're doing on the title cards in the OP. Wanted to say I thought it was a neat touch :)

Wiggy Marie fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 11, 2015

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Let the civilians kill us too :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wiggy Marie posted:

Hey CJacobs, I only just noticed the animation you're doing on the title cards in the OP. Wanted to say I thought it was a neat touch :)

Thank you.

I agree that Killing is Harmless is pretty much a crapshoot. Sometimes a white bird is just a white bird.

• Locked thread