Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
We've got 279 Gold Pieces and nothing to do with them. Let's give the Nerd some money. Perhaps we'll get a free toaster or pencil with our first deposit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Slice and dice. I don't think we need to give up our precious stuff!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
First we murdered for greed, now we murder the not-Jew to cover our foolish error.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Section 124 posted:

Roll one die. Score 1 to 3 and the Nerd manages to ring his bell: go to 101. Score 4 to 6 and you get in the first blow, thus preventing his ringing the bell and starting yet another hassle.

The Nerd has 20 LIFE POINTS, hits on 6 and carries a stiletto with paralysing poison on the blade so that you miss one strike back each time he hits you successfully.

If you manage to kill him, you will find 100 gold pieces in his boot but no other treasure, and may leave the room through the door to 133.

If he kills you, it's 14.

GOTTA GO FAST roll: 1. Crap.

Section 101 posted:

The Nerd reaches out a slim hand and rings the bell which sounds with a delicate, though
penetrating, tinkle.

'There,' he says primly, 'I did warn you.'

But warn you about what? Perhaps it has something to do with the massive shape slowly solidifying in a corner of the chamber. At first it looks like swirling smoke, but gradually it takes on the form of a bearded, turbanned giant, naked to the waist, green skinned and carrying a scimitar. It looks like a cross between Sinbad and the Incredible Hulk, and with your luck is almost certainly a Djinn.

'Another adventurer needs bashing, Master?' the Djinn says to the Nerd.

'Precisely,' says the Nerd. 'Bash, hack, slay then throw the pieces to the crows, making sure to keep any gold, weapons, magical items or other valuables for our leader's Treasure Repository.'

'Now just a minute -' you protest, holding up your hands in horror, this being you they are talking about bashing, hacking and slaying. It's not that you're frightened of course, but that Djinn looks as though he might have a million LIFE POINTS so a fight is definitely to be avoided.

But circumstances are largely outside your immediate control at this point. It's doubtful if you can kill the Djinn (or even the Nerd, come to that) so the only thing that really counts is whether or not one of those hands you held up in horror happened to be wearing a Tinglering.

If you are wearing a Tinglering, either collected during this adventure or during any previous adventure in the GrailQuest, then you should turn to 127.

If you don't have a Tinglering, then you're in big trouble. The Nerd has 20 LIFE POINTS and a concealed dagger that does +5 damage on account of its being made from finest Sheffield steel and lightly poisoned. He is a poor fighter and hits on 8 or better. The Djinn, while it does not have a million LIFE POINTS, certainly does have 100. What's more, it hits on 5 and does +3 damage with that scimitar. Neither will accept a bribe at this point, so you 're going to have to try to kill them. If you manage it you can go back out through the door to 133 and count yourself lucky. If you don't, pick up the pieces in 14.

Ladies and gentlemen, one of the hardest fights in the book, right here.

Also, I remember there was someone in this thread who wanted to know what a Tinglering actually does: this is what the Tinglering is used for, had we had one the Djinn would have recognized us as his master, sent the Nerd packing, and then we would have been able to summon him to fight on our side three times per book (but only three times: his Union prevents him from working more than that).

There are several places we can pick up a Tinglering: once in the first book, twice in the second, and once in this book (but, alas, we missed it).

Unfortunately we do not have a Tinglering, so we have to try and survive this.

Pip's intiative roll: 4 + 2 = 6
Nerd's initiative roll: 5 + 4 = 9
Djinn's initiative roll: 4 + 3 = 7
Turn order: Nerd - Djinn - Pip.

Plan for the battle: as anyone who has ever played an RPG knows, kill the enemies with lowest LIFE POINTS first, so we prevent him from plinking away at our health while we bash the larger threat. So first thing we shall murder the Nerd.
Afterwards it's just a question of hack-and-slash with the Djinn. I'll use magic in case of emergency (we have two FIREBALLS and ten LIGHTNING BOLTS for free from the start of the book after all).

Let's get ready to rumble!

Nerd attacks! 1 + 5 = 6, missed.
Djinn attacks! 2 + 6 = 8, Pip is hit for 3 + 3 - 4 = 2 LIFE POINTS and is down to 32.
Pip attacks! 4 + 6 = 10, Nerd is hit for 6 + 5 + 5 = 16 LIFE POINTS, is down to 4, and is out of the fight.

Djinn attacks! 5 + 1 = 6, Pip is hit for 1 + 3 - 4 = 0 LIFE POINTS.
Pip attacks! 5 + 2 = 7, Djinn is hit for 3 + 5 + 3 = 13 LIFE POINTS and is down to 87.

Djinn attacks! 2 + 5 = 7, Pip is hit for 2 + 3 - 4 = 1 LIFE POINT and is down to 31.
Pip attacks! 1 + 6 = 7, Djinn is hit for 3 + 5 + 3 = 13 LIFE POINTS and is down to 74.

Djinn attacks! 3 + 1 = 4, whiff.
Pip attacks! 1 + 2 = 3, also whiff.

Djinn attacks! 6 + 3 = 9, Pip is hit for 4 + 3 - 4 = 3 LIFE POINTS and is down to 28.
Pip attacks! 6 + 6 = 12 !!! Djinn is hit for 8 + 5 + 5 = 18 LIFE POINTS and is down to 56.

Djinn attacks! 3 + 3 = 6, Pip is hit for 1 + 3 - 4 = 0 LIFE POINTS.
Pip attacks! 6 + 6 = 12 !!!!! Djinn is hit for 8 + 5 + 5 = 18 LIFE POINTS and is down to 38 (Holy poo poo two twelves in a row :stare:)

Djinn attacks! 3 + 4 = 7, Pip is hit for 2 + 3 - 4 = 1 LIFE POINT and is down to 27.
Pip attacks! 6 + 5 = 11, Djinn is hit for 7 + 5 + 5 = 17 LIFE POINTS and is down to 21 (An 11 is fine, too)

Djinn attacks! 6 + 3 = 9, Pip is hit for 4 + 3 - 4 = 3 LIFE POINTS and is down to 24.
Pip attacks! 1 + 6 = 7, Djinn is hit for 3 + 5 + 5 = 13 LIFE POINTS and is down to 8.

Djinn attacks! 2 + 3 = 5, Pip is hit for 0 + 3 - 4 = no LIFE POINTS.
Pip attacks! 5 + 3 = 8, Djinn is hit for 4 + 5 + 5 = 14 LIFE POINTS and vanishes in a puff of smoke.

Thank you, RNG.

We're done with this room, and the only way we can go forward is through the corridors, so take a look at the map again:

Current section: 133, squares walked: 2

What do we do now?

Also, since this is a nice stopping point (we're not in the middle of doing anything), I'm taking this chance to announce a hiatus.
I'll be on vacation with no internet access starting the day after tomorrow until Saturday the 4th of July (and I'll be busy packing tomorrow) so this LP will resume on Monday the 6th of July. See you all then!

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 24/44 :siren:
SPEED: 9/18
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 12 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion x21 (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), xylophone x1, Artifical Aardvark x1, bookworm x1, blue powder x1, clickstick x1, hammer x1, joke book x1, container of oil x1, gold braid x1, torch x1, hunk of cheese x1, old boot (left foot) x1, powdered shark teeth (heal poison) x1, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies)
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook and Pip's Second Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PIP x2), Lightning Bolt x10 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x2 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
279 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:
Magic coin: +5 damage in battle

Roll of the dead posted:

Death the first: (poisonous) smoke inhalation

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Wait, don't we get the 100 gold in the Nerd's boot?

Let's drink two more healing potions.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Wait, don't we get the 100 gold in the Nerd's boot?

Let's drink two more healing potions.

Nope! Because we fought the Nerd at section 101, since he managed to ring the bell, and that section doesn't mention anything about loot (and also has different stats for the fight, namely in how the Nerd's weapon works).

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
I know it's a bit late now, but I made a poster for The Poetic Fiend: http://lpix.org/2114612/1.JPG.

(With apologies to these good people: http://campusinvolvement.umich.edu/article/poetry-slam-guest-performer-t-miller).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, I thought we'd have kept one of those tinglerings. I know we found several. They're probably all lying at the bottom of 14, though.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Welcome back! When we last left our hero, Pip had just killed a Djinn and a Nerd. Now let's chug a couple potions, to restore our LIFE POINTS a bit.

Potion roll: 4 + 3 = 7, up to 31 LIFE POINTS.
Potion roll: 6 + 5 = 11, up to 42 LIFE POINTS.

Since our cap is 44 LIFE POINTS, there's no point in drinking another potion.

We're currently at section 133, and there's only one way to go from here, so let's take the corridor to 92 and see what happens.

This means, however, that we have to roll for Wandering Monsters. Section 92 is 10 squares away, and we have 2 steps "left over" from the last time we were in the corridors, so we get to roll twice!

Wandering Monster roll: 3 + 5 = 8, we get to fight an Animated Skeleton. As a reminder (we fought one before), it has 20 LIFE POINTS, hits on a 6 for +1 damage, and drops 10 Gold Pieces when defeated.

Pip's initiative roll: 4 + 4 = 8
Animated Skeleton's initiative roll: 1 + 2 = 3

Pip attacks! 6 + 2 = 8, Animated Skeleton is hit for 4 + 5 + 5 = 14 LIFE POINTS and is down to 6.
Animated Skeleton attacks! 6 + 6 = 12 :stare: Pip is hit for 6 + 1 - 4 = 3 LIFE POINTS and is down to 39.
Pip attacks! 3 + 3 = 6, Animated Skeleton is hit for 2 + 5 + 5 = 12 LIFE POINTS and is pulverized.

Once more, Wandering Monster roll: 2 + 5 = 7, we meet nobody.

Section 92 posted:

You have entered a Gallery of Mirrors, 20' wide and a full 80' long. Not ordinary mirrors, of course: not in a place like this. They are all distorting mirrors, the sort you get at carnivals where you look in and see yourself as a fat dwarf or a thin giant. Except they aren't exactly like carnival mirrors. Carnival mirrors are fun. These reflections show you all gnarled and deformed and nastily distorted, wizened and twisted and yuuuch.

In fact, they're making you feel as though you really were all gnarled and wrinkled and -

'They're magic mirrors, Pip!' shouts EJ, somewhat muffled from his scabbard. 'Don't look into them!'

Fool sword: never gives good advice and when he does, it's too late. You're looking in the mirrors, Pip, and gradually changing into something ghastly. Throw two dice quickly to find out if you have the willpower to look away.

Score 2 to 6 and go to 109.
Score 7 to 12 and go to 130.

Roll: 6 + 1 = 7, do we make it?

Section 130 B**** posted:

There's willpower for you! With a massive effort, you drag your gaze away from the distorting mirror and find, to your relief, that your body begins to untwist and un wrinkle and ungnarl until you change back into the incredibly fit, handsome and athletic person you have always been.

The only problem is the Thing that is stepping out of the mirror you've been looking into.

It's the gnarled, wrinkled, twisted version of you that you have just been looking at. It's open to a four-star bribe, since it shares your lust for gold, but apart from that, you'll never get a Friendly Reaction. What you need to do here is fight, Pip. Fight the ghastly version of yourself. Fortunately it only has half your current LIFE POINTS, but apart from that it is you in every respect, including the twisted version of EJ that it carries, so it won't be an easy fight.

If you kill the twisted you you will find your distorted replica carries the same amount of gold and booty you do, so everything you have is automatically doubled. If you can cope with the weight, you can stagger off to 123 through the door to the south, to 77 through the door to the west or into the corridor through the northernmost door to the west.

If you kill you ( that is, if the real you gets killed by the twisted you) one of you had better get on down to 14.

Super-hard fight! The reason being that, as spelled out in the Section, Thing-Pip hits exactly as hard as we do, i.e. like a goddamn truck. This is one of the few places in the book where more pluses to hit and damage are actually detrimental. Unfortunately we don't have enough gold to try and bribe him, so we have to cut our way through him.

Pip's initiative roll: 6 + 6 = 12
Thing-Pip's initiative roll: 5 + 6 = 11

Pip attacks! 1 + 1 = 2, crap.
Thing-Pip attacks! 3 + 2 = 5, Pip is hit for 1 + 5 + 5 = 11 LIFE POINTS and is down to 28.
Pip attacks! 4 + 2 = 6, Thing-Pip is hit for 2 + 5 + 5 = 12 LIFE POINTS and is down to 27.
Thing-Pip attacks! 5 + 4 = 9, Pip is hit for 5 + 5 + 5 = 15 LIFE POINTS and is down to 13.

I'd say this qualifies as an emergency, don't you think?

Pip casts Fireball! 4 + 6 = 10, Thing-Pip smacked dead-center by 75 LIFE POINTS of damage and is immolated.

Phew, that was way too close for comfort. On the plus side, we get to double our stuff. I'll take the gold, but it's up to you guys to decide what items to take and, in case, what to drop, so take a look at our inventory and pick.

Also, this section made me realize I was really bad at keeping track of SPEED: each item we picked up during the adventure meant -1 to SPEED, so we should have been at 3 SPEED (6 items picked up) instead of 9, for a while now. I won't go back and replay the Sections since it was my mistake, but :siren: we have to drop at least six items unless we want to slow down :siren:.

After you've done that, also pick which way to go: to 77 or to 123.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 13/44 :siren:
SPEED: :siren: 3/18 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 14 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion :siren: x19 :siren: (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), xylophone x1, Artifical Aardvark x1, bookworm x1, blue powder x1, clickstick x1, hammer x1, joke book x1, container of oil x1, gold braid x1, torch x1, hunk of cheese x1, old boot (left foot) x1, powdered shark teeth (heal poison) x1, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies)
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook and Pip's Second Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PIP x2), Lightning Bolt x10 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball :siren: x1 :siren: (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
:siren: 578 :siren: Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Definitely drop the clickstick and artificial aardvark. They've actually been useful once, but there's no way we'll use them a second time. Right? ...Right?

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I think you forgot to half Bizarro Pip's life points, but we can call that payback for our irreduced speed.

If the Bizarro left boot came out of a mirror, it's a right boot now, right? I insist we complete our boot set. I insist.

I don't suppose we can have two magic coins and get +10 damage?

Whatever we do, we now have more life potions than we could possibly need and should pound some right away.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, that's a proper hard fight with a proper payout. Or at least, when you're buffed, this huge risk can get you double-buffed.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dunno about what to drop, but we should go to 77 because 7 is a lucky number.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Let's also drop the xylophone and the joke book. I can't imagine they will ever be useful. Also, what use is a hammer without nails or spikes? Drop the hammer.

The dragonskin jacket and boot(s?) are worn, not carried, so do they really count against inventory slots?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The dragonskin jacket and boot(s?) are worn, not carried, so do they really count against inventory slots?

The jacket doesn't, but the boots do, since we're not actually wearing them.

I'm not counting potions either even though I should (1 slot per dozen or something like that, I'm on my phone now so I can't check), because it's a bitch to keep track of them.

New update coming later today, sorry about the delay (super busy at work).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

You guys have chosen to drop the clickstick, artificial aardvark, joke book, xylophone, and hammer.

I'll also drop the hunk of cheese, since what use is that anyway? (Watch as I am immediately proven wrong).

Now let's pick up the second old boot from Thing-Pip (now we have two, and we can wear them so they weigh nothing), and also pick up his potions. Since we now have 38 potions and only 13 LIFE POINTS, as Explosions said let's drink some.

Potion roll: 2 + 4 = 6, up to 19 LIFE POINTS.
Potion roll: 6 + 1 = 7, up to 26 LIFE POINTS.
Potion roll: 4 + 5 = 9, up to 35 LIFE POINTS.
Potion roll: 2 + 6 = 8, up to 43 LIFE POINTS.

I won't be picking up the extra magic coin because... The magic of the two coins would cause a disastrous explosion, akin to crossing the streams in Ghostbusters. That's what it is. Definitely. (I'm really not picking it up becase I want some measure of challenge left in the fights :ssh:)

Now on to section 77!

Section 77 posted:

This looks interesting. A 20' x 20' room with a chest in the middle of the floor. An unguarded chest in the middle of the floor. How about that? The monster must be on its tea break.

The thing is, Pip, do you risk trying to open the chest? It may have some sort of nasty trap all ready and waiting to send you back to 14.

Risk trying to open the chest by going to 104.

Go through the north western door to 92.

Go through the southern door into the corridor.

I realize this is most likely a pointless question, given your track record with this kind of things, but do you want to open the chest?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 43/44 :siren:
SPEED: :siren: 9/18 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 14
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion :siren: x34 :siren: (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), :siren: xylophone x1, Artifical Aardvark x1 :siren:, bookworm x1, blue powder x1, clickstick x1, :siren: hammer x1 :siren:, joke book x1, container of oil x1, gold braid x1, torch x1, :siren: hunk of cheese x1 :siren:, :siren: pair of old boots x1 :siren:, powdered shark teeth (heal poison) x1, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies)
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook and Pip's Second Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PIP x2), Lightning Bolt x10 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x1 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
578 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Bust that sucker open.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Loot

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I figured :)

Section 104 posted:

The chest is open and you're still here. No trap at all.

Inside there is a vial of a light blue liquid which, when you take the stopper out, smells of old socks. You're going to have to risk testing that liquid if you want to find out what it does. But if you taste it, you'll also risk the possibility that it's the most potent poison known to humanity and it might kill you outright.

This is known as Hobson's Choice, Pip.

You can taste the liquid by going to 141, take the north eastern door to 92, or take the southern door into the corridor.

For the purpose of moving this LP swiftly onwards, I'll just pocket the vial and drop the Shark Teeth to do so. We can always come back and pick up the teeth later. Tell me if you want to try drinking the potion.

Now I'll cheat a bit: instead of going down the corridor I'll skip it by going through 92 to reach 123, our next destination. This spares us one Wandering Monster roll.

Section 123 posted:

There's a man eating plant in here.

The plant he's eating is a carrot and it's screaming for help. This Ghastly Kingdom gets more like a loonybin every step you take.

'Help! 'screams the carrot.

'Ignore it,' remarks the man, with a friendly nod in your direction. 'This is one of the most appallingly evil carrots ever to pollute the face of the globe. I shall die instantly when I finish eating it, but I willingly sacrifice myself for the good of humanity which will be all the better for the demise of this evil carrot.'

'I'm not evil! I'm not evil!' shouts the carrot. 'I am a beautiful young princess bewitched by an Invisible Wizard who haunts this Ghastly Kingdom. Please rescue me!'

'You will be making a terrible mistake if you try to rescue this carrot,' says the man mildly. 'It's a vampire carrot.'

'He's lying,' shrieks the carrot desperately.

But is he? Or is it? Or are they both? Desperately you look around for some clue to help you make your decision. Your eye catches a prominent notice on the southern wall. It says:

RESCUE THE CARROT!

You reach for EJ, but then you catch sight of a second notice on the western wall. It says:

DON'T RESCUE THE CARROT!

You allow your hand to fall away in confusion. You glance upwards. A huge poster pasted on the ceiling says:

PLAY YOUR XYLOPHONE!

Which seems as sensible a course as any in this lunatic situation, provided, of course, you brought a xylophone.

So what will you do ?

If you decide to rescue the carrot, go to 112.

If you decide to ignore the whole affair and try to find a saner room, go to 143.

If you happen to have a xylophone with you and feel like playing it, go to 149.

Good thing we brought a xylophone, right? Wait, what do you mean we dropped it not two rooms back?

Well, that restricts our options a bit, but still we have a choice to make: do we save the carrot?

(Additionally, and before that, do we drink the mysterious potion?)

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 43/44
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion x34 (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), bookworm x1, blue powder x1, container of oil x1, gold braid x1, torch x1, pair of old boots x1, :siren: powdered shark teeth (heal poison) x1 mysterious blue potion :siren:, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies)
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook and Pip's Second Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PIP x2), Lightning Bolt x10 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x1 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
578 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Cast the spell to protect vs poison, drink potion.

Don't rescue the carrot. That's no Disney princess.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Go fetch the xylophone, come back, and give it a try.

Also taste the potion.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Comstar posted:

Don't rescue the carrot. That's no Disney princess.

Moving right along...

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Ghostwoods posted:

Go fetch the xylophone, come back, and give it a try.

Comstar posted:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Both of these things.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Pip casts PIP! 6 + 6 = 12, it worked, we're down to 40 LIFE POINTS. That was our last PIP spell, by the way, so we're on our own for any future poisonings.

Section 141 posted:

Tastes like old socks as well. It could be poison with a taste like that - Poisonous Elixir of Old Socks, a famous alchemical distillation. But don't start to writhe in agony just yet, because this is, in fact, a Poison Antidote. One swig of this stuff will cure any known poison. . . and there are six swigs in the vial. Use a dose now if you happen to be poisoned, otherwise save it carefully in case you might be in the future.

Go through the north eastern door to 92, or go through the southern door into the corridor.

Never mind! :v:

I'll just do the smart thing and forget the powdered shark teeth entirely and just carry this around instead.

Regarding the xylophone, I usually wouldn't allow it, but it's literally in the next room over. So let's pop out, pick that up, pop back in, and start playing.

Section 149 posted:

Both the carrot and the man stare at you in dumb amazement as you begin to play the xylophone.

'What on earth are you doing?' asks the carrot.

'Have you taken leave of your senses?' asks the man.

Plinka plinka plink, goes the xylophone.

'You'll attract an ampitherian if you keep playing that thing,' warns the man.

No, I don't know what an ampitherian is either, but the question is do you want to risk attracting one? If you continue playing, go to 114. If not, return to 123 and pick another option.

Do we want to risk attracting an amphiterian? (A smart goon pointed out during the last book that most Sections that include "14" in some form or other in their number are bad news, and that probably still stands.)

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 40/44 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion x34 (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), bookworm x1, blue powder x1, :siren: container of oil x1 xylophone x1 :siren:, gold braid x1, torch x1, pair of old boots x1, :siren: Poison Antidote x6 :siren:, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies)
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook and Pip's Second Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PIP :siren: x3 :siren:), Lightning Bolt x10 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x1 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
578 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

(I dropped the container of oil to pick up the xylophone, we can always pick it back up later.)

Roll of the dead posted:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 11, 2015

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

They're just jealous of our musical talent, keep playing.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Lets face the music and keep playing.

We brought this thing all this way, let's use it for what it was made for.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I do know that "therian" is the classy term for furry, so HELL NO

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Comstar posted:

Lets face the music and keep playing.

We brought this thing all this way, let's use it for what it was made for.

Precisely.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
https://www.google.com/search?q=ampitherian

Your search - ampitherian - did not match any documents.

:stare: If not even Google knows what that is, I really don't know what to think. Let's keep playing and find out, I guess.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Jazzimus Prime posted:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ampitherian

Your search - ampitherian - did not match any documents.

:stare: If not even Google knows what that is, I really don't know what to think. Let's keep playing and find out, I guess.

Most likely it's a compound word, perhaps of amphibian and therian (mystic animal spirit).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Sorry about the delay! This was cause by the fact that this update is extra-long, since we're going to be finishing this dungeon.

We were warned that our xylophone might attract an amphitherian, but is that really the case?

Section 114 posted:

The door behind you smashes open. Both the man and the carrot flee without a moment's hesitation, crashing through the other door into the corridor and racing off as fast as the man's legs will carry them both.

You spin round and find yourself facing a squat, rather toad-like creature about five feet high and six feet broad. It carries a club which hits with +3 damage, strikes on 6 and has 50 LIFE POINTS.

It hates xylophone players.

If you survive the encounter with the ampitherian, you may take the door to 92 or the other door into the corridor.

If not, you can take your broken xylophone to 14.

Sadly the book doesn't provide a picture of the ampitherian, but from the description it looks rather ugly and mean.

Pip's initiative roll: 6 + 5 = 11.
Ampitherian's initiative roll: 6 + 3 = 9.

Pip attacks! 2 + 3 = 5, ampitherian is hit for 1 + 5 + 5 = 11 LIFE POINTS and is down to 39.
Ampitherian attacks! 3 + 2 = 5, a miss.
Pip attacks! 3 + 4 = 7, ampitherian is hit for 3 + 5 + 5 = 13 LIFE POINTS and is down to 26.
Ampitherian attacks! 2 + 6 = 8, Pip is hit for 2 + 3 - 4 = 1 LIFE POINT and is down to 39.
Pip attacks! 3 + 2 = 5, ampitherian is hit for 1 + 5 + 5 = 11 LIFE POINTS and is down to 15.
Ampitherian attacks! 2 + 4 = 6, Pip is hit for 0 + 3 - 4 = NO LIFE POINTS.
Pip attacks! 4 + 5 = 9, ampitherian is hit for 5 + 5 + 5 = 15 LIFE POINTS, is down to 0, and is dead.

For our efforts we get 1 EXPERIENCE POINT. Our xylophone was sadly smashed during the encounter, but we're going to go back and pick up the lamp oil we'd dropped.

Now, let's look at the map:

There's only one way to go from here that we haven't explored, and that's towards section 69. Unfortunately, to do so we have to cross a super long section of corridor. By my count that's 29 squares, which means we have to roll for Wandering Monsters four times (and one more would have meant FIVE, but we're lucky like that). So let's get to it.

Wandering Monster roll: 4 + 3 = 7, no one.
Wandering Monster roll: 6 + 3 = 9, we meet two Nerds. We fought these dudes before: they hit on a 7 for +2 damage, have 11 LIFE POINTS each, and drop 10 Gold Pieces each.

Pip's initiative roll: 3 + 1 = 4.
Nerds' initiative roll: 2 + 3 = 5.

Nerd 1 attacks! 2 + 5 = 7, Pip is hit for 0 + 2 - 4 = NO LIFE POINTS.
Nerd 2 attacks! 2 + 1 = 3, a miss.
Pip attacks! 3 + 2 = 5, Nerd 1 has a brief moment of "I made a huge mistake" awareness before being hit for 1 + 5 + 5 = 11 LIFE POINTS and killed.
Nerd 2 attacks! 3 + 3 = 6, another miss.
Pip attacks! 3 + 2 = 5, Nerd 2 joins his pal in the Kingdom of the Dead. (Wait isn't that were we are now? How does that work?)

Let's resume with the Wandering Monster rolls!

Wandering Monster roll: 3 + 6 = 9, two more Nerds. These guys just don't learn.

Pip's initiative roll: 5 + 3 = 8.
Nerds' initiative roll: 2 + 6 = 8.

Pip's initiative re-roll: 4 + 6 = 10.
Nerds' initiative re-roll: 6 + 1 = 7.

Pip attacks! 1 + 6 = 7, Nerd 1 is hit for 3 + 5 + 5 = 13 LIFE POINTS and is dead.
Nerd 2 attacks! 4 + 3 = 7, Pip is hit for 0 + 2 - 4 = NO LIFE POINTS.
Pip attacks! 5 + 2 = 7, Nerd 2 is mercilessly cut down.

One more Wandering Monster roll, and then we can check out what's in section 69.

Wandering Monster roll: 1 + 2 = 3, no one.

Section 69 posted:

A peculiar room this, peculiarly shaped and with a deep purple velvet curtain closing off the northern section.

Cold, isn't it?

There are little glittering crystals on the walls, like ice, except they are green and pink. You touch one curiously and promptly get a cold burn. This stuff is colder than ice, colder than anything you've ever experienced. You're shivering already. You head for the curtain fast before you freeze to death.

If you race for the curtain, throw two dice. Score above 3 and you make it to 138. Score 3 or below and you're a block of pink and green ice, thawing out slowly in 14.
Or you can go back out into the corridor the way you came.

Going back would be pointless, since we've explored every place this level has to offer. Let's make a dash for the curtain!

2 + 6 = 8, behind the curtain we find...

Section 138 posted:

Sword in hand, you brush aside the curtain.

No monsters, but something maybe just as terrifying. You've found a locked door and behind it (as you can see through a tiny barred window) stairs! Stairs going down....

Only one key can unlock this door - the Key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom itself. If you have it, unlock the door and take the stairs down to 71.

If not, you'd better make your way back the way you came and continue to explore this level until you find the Key.

Luckily we found a nice old lady who was kind enough to let us borrow her key.

Going down!

Section 71 B*** posted:

These are very long stairs. Very long, very steep and very dark.

'The sort of place you'd likely find spiders,' whispers EJ, who is a bit nervous of spiders.

But you press on bravely, brushing aside webs -

'Spider webs,'groans EJ.

- knowing perfectly well that any spiders you are likely to meet will be quite harmless little fly catchers who wouldn't do any harm to a brave -

'Here it comes!' shrieks EJ as two fiery red eyes approach you like an express train from the darkness ahead.

It's a giant spider, of course. What else could it possibly be in a place like this. Only 13 LIFE POINTS, but the bite is poisonous so that if the Spider manages to hit you three times in a row without you hitting back, then you're lethally poisoned and the Spider's next meal. The Spider hits on 6 or better and has surprise automatically since this is its home territory.
Curiously enough, it is susceptible to Bribery, as you may have noticed by the asterisks, but it will demand an awful lot of gold. If you get past the Spider, go to 74. If not, try 14.

What use does a spider have for gold anyway? Besides, we don't have quite enough gold to try and bribe it (remember, three asterisks stand for 1000 Gold Pieces or equivalent wealth).

Giant Spider attacks! 1 + 1 = 2, whiff.
Pip attacks! 4 + 5 = 9, Giant Spider is hit for 5 + 5 + 5 = 15 LIFE POINTS and is squashed like a bug.

Going down! Down-er, that is.

Section 74 posted:

At the bottom of the stairs you find yourself in a 20' x 30' chamber with a door in the south wall. The entire place is piled high with the bones, skulls and rusting weapons of previous adventurers. This is not a good omen, Pip.

But pinned to the wall with a broken spear is a tattered sketch map . . . (see Appendix, p. 223).

You will find in the corridors of this level that you must make a Wandering Monster roll every 50 feet (5 squares) not every 60 as on the level above.

Results should be read from the Level 2 Wandering Monster table (see Appendix).

Try the door?
Or return to 138 and Level 1.

Here's the map:

Onwards, through the door! We have to cross six corridor squares, so we get to roll once for Wandering Monsters with one square left over for the next time.

Wandering Monster roll: 1 + 2 = 3. Still no one.

Section 129 posted:

Despite what the map shows, you are in a 10' x 10' room with doors in the north, west and east walls.

The door east leads back to the corridor.
The door north to 78.
The door west to 83.

Looks like somebody's been doing some remodeling in this dungeon. Which way?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 39/44 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 18 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion x34 (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), bookworm x1, blue powder x1, :siren: container of oil x1 :siren:, gold braid x1, torch x1, pair of old boots x1, Poison Antidote x6, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies)
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook and Pip's Second Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PIP x3), Lightning Bolt x10 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x1 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
:siren: 618 :siren: Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 12, 2015

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Let's go to 83

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I think west is where we just came from. Let's go north.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
For some reason it seems kind of cute that the dungeon got remodeled after the map was drawn.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

We have a split vote, so I flipped a coin, and the coin says west to 83.

Section 83 posted:

Another 10' x 10' chamber. Doors in the east, north and west walls.

Take the door east to 129.
The door north to 118.
The door west to 89.

I took the liberty of crossing out the first option, since we just came from there, so we have two ways to go.

Also, since this sequence is (spoiler alert!) a succession of 10' by 10' rooms until we stumble upon the exit, for the purpose of moving the LP forward I'll take the first vote that gets posted regarding which way to go rather than waiting for several and then tallying them up. I hope you'll understand, I don't want to slow this thread down to a crawl.

For added fun, here's the map we found:

Compare it with what we actually go through.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 39/44
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 18
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion x34 (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), bookworm x1, blue powder x1, container of oil x1, gold braid x1, torch x1, pair of old boots x1, Poison Antidote x6, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies)
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook and Pip's Second Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PIP x3), Lightning Bolt x10 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x1 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
618 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

West again.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 89 posted:

Another 10' x 10' chamber. Doors in the east, north and west walls.

Go north to 93.
East to 83.
West to 86.

You might recognize this room as the exact same room we were just in, except with different exits :v:

Pip's Stat Block posted:

INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion x34 (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), bookworm x1, blue powder x1, container of oil x1, gold braid x1, torch x1, pair of old boots x1, Poison Antidote x6, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies)
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
618 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Thought so, just wanted to confirm. North.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 93 posted:

Another 10' x 10' chamber. Doors in the east, south and west walls.

Go south to 89.
East to 118.
West to 121.

Still in the square rooms. At least there's no non-euclidean fuckery going on. Yet.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
618 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

• Locked thread