Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Still waiting to see you modify enemies and bosses for not living up to their in-story prowess. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TravelLog posted:

Still waiting to see you modify enemies and bosses for not living up to their in-story prowess. :getin:

No that's what I did for Artix's FE6 HD Remix planned LP.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

vilkacis posted:

:stare:

Wow, you might be on to something. And they do say pokemon can breed with anything...

:tinfoil:

Well, guess I know what I'll be listening to for the rest of the day...

Man it's been forever since I remembered those games. I still remember finding the story to Sword of Mana oddly compelling. I thought it a beautiful game. 'Course I was like 12 when I played it, but the point remains.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

So uh to change the subject entirely how high can characters' stats go in this game before something breaks messily and hilariously, anyway? I've been capping everything at 30 for now, but...

The Iron Rose posted:

Man it's been forever since I remembered those games. I still remember finding the story to Sword of Mana oddly compelling. I thought it a beautiful game. 'Course I was like 12 when I played it, but the point remains.

I'm not familiar with Sword, but all the ones I have played were very nice looking games for the consoles they were on, so you're probably remembering it right.

Great soundtracks, too.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think after 30 everything breaks horrifically without major rewrites to the stats code. That's why you might see glitched stats in bad romhacks, or stats that wrap around when they go negative.

Don't go above 30 and you'll be safe.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

vilkacis posted:

So uh to change the subject entirely how high can characters' stats go in this game before something breaks messily and hilariously, anyway? I've been capping everything at 30 for now, but...

I'm not familiar with Sword, but all the ones I have played were very nice looking games for the consoles they were on, so you're probably remembering it right.

Great soundtracks, too.

31 specifically is the limit. If I'm not mistaken in 7 you can use some of FEditor's patches to increase that to 31+base in a state if I remember how it works right (check the documentation), but I'm not sure if you can do the same for six.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

vilkacis posted:

I think FEDDOP taught us that anything above 31 leads to ~magic~.

Fakeedit: Dammit.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

~Magic~, you say...? :unsmigghh:

...But equipment boosts don't count, right? Just looking at Fae, she could easily pass 30 Res with that stone equipped.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

vilkacis posted:

...But equipment boosts don't count, right? Just looking at Fae, she could easily pass 30 Res with that stone equipped.

Well, yeah. A few of the legendary weapons give +5s to classes that could already hit 30 or close to it, like Nomad Troopers with Murgleis or Generals with Armads. Hell, everyone's luck caps at 30 and Forblaze gives 5.

If stats break past 31 then base stats are stored as a binary and a hex. So 16 to 17 would be going from 0F to 10 internally. The +5 from equipment or dragonstone boosts must be added in formulas rather than directly applied to those stats.

E: Wait, the games understand having 0s in stats, so 15 would be 0F, 16 would be 10, and then 17 would be 11, all the way up to 31 at 1F. The games cap at 30 because, well, it looks nicer better than 31.

The Gamecube FEs let stats go up to 40, though PoR only shows it with extreme Luck blessing or Ashnard's huge arms. Shadow Dragon went back to 30 caps but True Mystery is on the same engine and Medeus has 40s on Lunatic.

Then Awakening happened and character stats get up to 66 between limit breaker and eugenics and enemies in Apotheosis show up rockin' 99s.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 9, 2015

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If stats break past 31 then base stats are stored as a binary and a hex. So 16 to 17 would be going from 0F to 10 internally. The +5 from equipment or dragonstone boosts must be added in formulas rather than directly applied to those stats.

I wouldn't be surprised if the stat boosts graphically displayed +5 STR or whatever but actually added to the derived Attack, Defense, Avoid, etc. stats that are actually used after counting in supports, terrain, etc.

Also, a bit of tooling around with numbers, and I think stats are stored internally as five bits. 31 is 11111 which fits in five bits, but 32 is 100000 which is six, so it just takes the five it's supposed to be and you get zero. Maybe. Logically, this means that the sixth bit gets toggled somewhere, which means that a >31 stat actually starts affecting other stats. I've never done any tinkering or delving into how FE does its stats to find out, but given Ostian Princess in general and one of the odd bugs that was encountered in the latest public Awful Emblem beta (a character, when loading the game, would end up with a negative/maxed stat and others would be affected), I strongly suspect this is how it's done.

Which kind of makes sense, maybe? If we assume nine stats stored this way (level, strength, skill, speed, luck, defense, resistance, constitution, move, but not HP because that has to use at least seven bits), then you're saving 27 bits per character, or three and 3/8 bytes per character. Let's say HP's stored in seven bits because then we get a nice even 3.5 bytes per character. I don't know how many characters the RAM and SRAM support, but I'm going to just guess 80, since there's a 50 enemy cap. 80*3.5=280 bytes, or about a quarter of a kilobyte. Three save files means three quarters of a KB.

Now, there's all sorts of different save formats for the GBA ranging from 512 bytes to 128 KB. I don't know for sure which one FE6/7/8 uses, but all of the save files on GameFAQs are 64 KB so I suspect that might be the one. When you have 64 KB to play with, saving .75 KB seems fairly pointless, so I doubt the save file influenced this decision.

Maybe it was the internal RAM?

Wikipedia posted:

Memory: 32 kilobyte + 96 kilobyte VRAM (internal to the CPU), 256 kilobyte DRAM (outside the CPU).

With those kinds of numbers, possibly? I suspect the actual answer is different. FE6 was first unveiled as being in development in January 2001, two months before the GBA's actual release and a year and change before the game's release. It's entirely possible that FE6 was developed while the hardware limitations were still being hammered out, so the team had no way of knowing for sure the limitations they'd be under, so they went conservative. Additionally, this was in 2000/2001, and Nintendo hadn't yet switched to CDs. I would guess that everyone there was still in the SNES era "save as much space as possible because we have a 2 MB cart" mindset even while expanding hardware made that less necessary.

This is all speculation, of course, but it's fun to think of how the developers approached things just based on theorizing on how they stored some numbers.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Edward_Tohr posted:

I think FEDDOP taught us that anything above 31 leads to ~magic~.

Fakeedit: Dammit.
It was also going under zero that lead to ~magic~:

But yeah, stat boosts pushing you past 31 don't cause any problems, an easy example is Fomortiis:

Strength, Skill, Defense, and Resistance are all boosted beyond 31 no problem.

I should note that Fomortiis's caps are weird (FE8's Draco Zombies are too), and if you start leveling either of them up their stats will go right past 31, and then end up looping back to 0.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

fade5 posted:

But yeah, stat boosts pushing you past 31 don't cause any problems, an easy example is Fomortiis:

Strength, Skill, Defense, and Resistance are all boosted beyond 31 no problem.

I should note that Fomortiis's caps are weird (FE8's Draco Zombies are too), and if you start leveling either of them up their stats will go right past 31, and then end up looping back to 0.

Wasn't there a romhack that made the tutorial unwinnable by placing Fomortiis with negative hp on the map?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 16x: The Glorious Ascension or, :lol: Aureola

So before we do anything else I just want to say I went back to an earlier save and bought a Guiding Ring instead of one of the robes I got from the secret shop in case I actually want to use Hugh or something, but the only thing else that changed is that Dorothy didn't get HP for killing Narcian and maybe a couple of weapon uses saved/used but nothing really important.

The Saint's Tower was once a place of worship for Saint Elimine. In the tower lay numerous sacred relics relating to her. However, this sacred tower is now under the control of the revolutionaries.

Sadly, the previous paragraph has very little to do with the actual map, because space is yet again very limited, so we won't be bringing Hugh. In retrospect, I probably should have though, since he'd benefit more from it than all these promoted units.

Bishop Windbag is such a bit character I can't even be arsed to come up with something to replace his face with. It's simply not worth the effort.

As said, reduced party size. Even then, it's more than we'll need to finish the map - it's honestly nothing really special.

Of course there's a throne in the tower, why wouldn't there be a throne in the tower?

What of me?! I betrayed the church and took over this tower for him!

You're gonna die.

That's all there's to it.

Lord Roartz's message said that he considers your work a failure. He says that because you couldn't bend the church, he has no use for you.

Sadly, the pilot episode for Windham: The Last Churchbender did not sway the jaded hearts of the production company.

This is all Yoder's fault. If he hadn't meddled in my affairs...

I agree... but there's nothing to be done about that now...

...Very well... Then this is our last mission. If we are to die, then the Lycian Army shall fall along with us! Prepare the Heavenly Arrows!

But if we use those, we'll hit our own men as well!

Mostly your own men, actually.

Annnnd nope.

Meanwhile, at the bottom of the tower, Douglas is here to remind us that we didn't kill him for EXP last chapter.

Saint Elimine's weapon, the Aureola spell tome, lies within.

"Stop giggling. It's a holy relic, drat it!"

Thank you, Sir Douglas. Although we were enemies earlier, I appreciate your help.

I have no need for thanks. I do as the king orders. Do not concern yourself.

Secretly, Douglas resents Roy for being able to grow such a rad 'stache at his tender age. Douglas was in his thirties by the time he managed to grow his, and it still isn't as good as Roy's.

You saved Eturia. It is an honor to fight alongside you.

Sir Douglas...

And here's the map. Windbag is in the top middle, and a whole bunch of casters are hanging around with Physic staves and ranged tomes. Some of them have status staves as well.

A bishop of the St. Elimine Church who turned against his order.

Most annoying of all,

Windbag has a Berserk staff,

...and this is his effective range with it. Well, technically about three tiles less, since he won't move off his throne - but as I'm sure you can imagine, climbing the tower will be a huge hassle with him free to snipe at us from across the entire map. Even worse, my only decent staff user is Saul, who has a much lower magic score, so we can't even pull any dirty tricks on him in return. I am sad.

The Great General of Eturia. A respected veteran.

Now that he's on our side, Douglas has both the growths and bases you'd expect of a prepromote (the former being HP 60, Str 30, Skl 30, Spd 30, Lck 20, Def 30, Red 5) and will be getting benched as soon I have a choice in the matter, beard or no beard. 19 Str and 20 Def isn't bad, as such, but on a level 20/8 character with single-digit speed it sure as hell isn't very impressive either.

I could mess around with the longbow, but two shots at 67% isn't worth it. We'll hit this guy with something less unique a few rounds from now instead.

Also at the end of every round these arrows randomly shoot down across the map. Anyone they hit takes 10 damage, I guess it counts as a gimmick or something?

Well, we can't sit around and wait all day, so let's get crackin'. Schwarth doesn't kill this guy, but that wasn't the point.

Candygram for Mongo!

gently caress you Saul

Pictured: Fir with a killing edge. That 68% crit rate :roflolmao:

Everything to ash!

You don't even have a fire tome, what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Oh, someone is really going to regret that decision.

Apparently being berserked turns off animations. Anyway, as you can probably imagine, Schwarth does to these guys what a berserked promoted unit with a killing lance usually does to unpromoted wastes of space.

(And of course I gave Schwarth the delphi shield, you think I'm gonna waste it on loving Shanna or something?)

Most of the enemies on this map are not very threatening.

Even the ones who would actually deal damage if they could hit.

...Well, okay, so the Bolting guys poo poo all over Douglas, but I don't know what you were expecting.

Go be useless someplace else.

This is even more obnoxious. Noah gets silenced.

This is worth two shots from the longbow.

Feeding Bartre those speedwings paid off, he doubles and kills this guy with the second swing :toot:

Let's fix that little problem. Oh yeah, that's what the Restore staff does, the Recover staff is a 1-range full heal.

...Why did you fly all the way down here when there's a nice juicy mage right next to where you were standing?

...This is somewhat problematic, though.

Wolt could probably murder my entire party if he really wanted to. Saul fixes this as soon as he's able.

Purge is back!

Purge still can't hit worth poo poo!

Again?!

You know, I can't decide if that was the smartest or the dumbest thing you could have done. Sure, that's my one good staff user out of the picture. But he has no weapons because I've loaded him with five different utility staves, so now he'll run around glaring menacingly at my other units while they slaughter the rest of the opposition. That was the last use of the Berserk staff.

You guys are really bad at this.

Your levels are still high enough to let Fae get like 80 exp per kill though, so that's nice!

:owned:

It's okay I guess. Schwarth status: Three levels under Douglas, better in six out of eight stats.

These guys are really not good at aiming.

Where are you, my daughter?

To be honest, this is probably the most interesting thing that happens this level.

F-Father... There's no need to shout so loudly...

I've been hearing some troubling rumors, Fir. I hear that another man in the army is secretly seeing you.

Oh...

Is it true, my daughter? If so, fear not! I will crush anyone who would hurt you!

N-no, it's nothing like that! He's helping me with my training. That's all.

Oho, so you merely wanted a training partner. Have no worries, my daughter. Your father is here to train you!

Um... I appreciate it, but I need someone who can use a sword...

I'm sorry, father...

Take care of yourself, my daughter.

Poor Bartre, he's trying so hard, but she's just at that age.

Douglas gets hit by an arrow.

Serves him right.

Schwarth's berserk status runs out, so now it's business as usual. Hm, come to think of it, this guy actually stands a pretty good chance of being painful! Guess I've been lucky she survived this long all by herself.

'Course, she crits him before he can try anything.

The rest is just mopping up.

Some reinforcements show up after a while. They're high-level bishops, so very good experience for just about anyone on the team. Though, they also have Lightning tomes and Physic staves, and sometimes also Silence staves, so they can be obnoxious.

Well gently caress me, a Purge actually hit. Oh well, Schwarth has vulneraries.

Almost done.

Somewhere along the way, Noah masters anima magic. Eeeexcellent.

Having healed up, Schwarth takes on the boss. That's a pretty nifty looking spell.

Hahaha! Haha... ha...

Boring to the end.

Holy poo poo Fae.

That's actually a kinda bad level, as Fae levels go.

We've dealt with all the enemies, so -

Oh, come on!

God drat!

anyway it's just 10 HP per arrow, so it's just an annoyance. I don't even care to farm some exp by healing it up.

Sir Douglas, is this it...?

This is the Glorious Ascension, Aureola, Saint Elimine's weapon.

May we make use of it?

The king said to take anything in the tower that may be of use.

With the tome in hand, we have literally taken everything in the tower that could be of use. drat stingy tower.

The St. Elimine Church is on our side as well. If any oppose our use of it, then I will negotiate.

"By 'negotiate' I mean I will bludgeon the bastard over the head with this tome until they stop complaining."

"That should solve the problem quite handily, yes."

All right. Thank you, Sir Douglas.

And scene change.

...The attack on Bern will begin after we finish in Eturia.

Did someone tell you already?

No... I simply knew that it would come to this eventually.

...We cannot leave Bern unopposed any longer. I know it will be painful to see your homeland invaded, but...

"...tough poo poo, everyone else on the team had to deal with it at some point so I'm sure you can too."

Bern's greatest treasure... the Fire Emblem.

What?!

Within it lies the sword of Hartmut, founder of Bern.

Is it... a legendary weapon?

Yes. The most powerful of them all, in fact. It was made to slay the leader of the dragons in the Scouring. Its power was so immense that it had to be sealed away after the war. The Fire Emblem is the key to accessing it once more.

The key...

My brother... is forcing the world into submission with military might. I cannot forgive him, no matter his reasons.

All we must do to stop him is defeat the dragons he commands.

Princess Guinivere...

"You do realize he's going to be a boss at some point, right? Parked on a throne on a map with a seize-the-throne-to-win objective...?"

No...

The people will resent me for the rest of my days. Roy, promise me this one thing. When we invade Bern, do not harm any civilians...

I will not. I promise you.

...Thank you.

I'm not sure I'll ever get to use this; at first I was planning to make Noah my light-caster type, but then I decided to save the tomes for Saul once he got close to promotion, but he's still spending most of his time staffbotting, so he will probably never reach that S-rank. Oh well, I'm sure there are other legendary weapons for us to play around with. Fir was actually carrying the Durandal around on this map, but nothing we fought warranted using it.

Either way, Roy's inventory isn't full, so we won't get to look at it until next map.

And that's it for this side mission. Next up... I hope for something a little more interesting, personally.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 12, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The recover staff actually fully heals a single target.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well I'll be hosed, so it does.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
This map is...not very fun. At least the staves makes it SLIGHTLY interesting I guess. But the map can't be salvaged with just that.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, it was just sort of underwhelming.

I'm actually kind of fond of Windbag's colossal range berserk staff, it's mean but not too assholeish since you're probably equipped to handle it at this stage, but the rest of the map was really just there, the enemies were largely weaklings, and the "gimmick" didn't add much.

I've sneaked a peek at the next map, though. It has ballistas in the middle of a lake! I'm going to have so much fun ignoring them completely with my arrow-proof fliers :v:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
So it might just be me being stupid and dumb, but it feels like your gifs for attacks/crits are playing fast, Vilk. If so, fewer frames of Fae is absolutely criminal. :colbert:

Please keep doing crazy stuff otherwise. Also just retcon Zeiss's portrait. You know you want to.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

vilkacis posted:

I'm not sure I'll ever get to use this; at first I was planning to make Noah my light-caster type, but then I decided to save the tomes for Saul once he got close to promotion, but he's still spending most of his time staffbotting, so he will probably never reach that S-rank. Oh well, I'm sure there are other legendary weapons for us to play around with.
You mean to say Saul won't suddenly discover that he's already very close to S-ranking light magic in the next 2 chapters? What kind of wizard are you?:colbert:

Seriously just bump him up to like A-and-a half rank in Light Magic, this game is stupid with not giving you useful Light Magic users without hilariously cheesy levels of grinding. Like seriously Saul will probably hit level 20 before he hits S in Light Magic.

Also there's something interesting you should know about S-ranks in this game: you can have multiple S-ranks on one unit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zwingley posted:

So it might just be me being stupid and dumb, but it feels like your gifs for attacks/crits are playing fast, Vilk. If so, fewer frames of Fae is absolutely criminal. :colbert:

Please keep doing crazy stuff otherwise. Also just retcon Zeiss's portrait. You know you want to.

Enemy armies really hate it when their soldiers start standing out like some kind of special snowflake so they try to put a stop to it as soon as possible.

Problem is that none of the armor fits them since they get it off the assembly line for the similarly armed hordes.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

fade5 posted:

You mean to say Saul won't suddenly discover that he's already very close to S-ranking light magic in the next 2 chapters? What kind of wizard are you?:colbert:

Seriously just bump him up to like A-and-a half rank in Light Magic, this game is stupid with not giving you useful Light Magic users without hilariously cheesy levels of grinding. Like seriously Saul will probably hit level 20 before he hits S in Light Magic.

Eh, not really. I had Saul max out Light in Chapter 21 at 20/17, and that was after he already had maxed Staves before that. It's just one of those things where you have to use them even if it's not the ideal situation (because ideal is fielding all of your mages with Aircaliburs)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Zwingley posted:

So it might just be me being stupid and dumb, but it feels like your gifs for attacks/crits are playing fast, Vilk.

That's actually the second time I've heard that. But it's strange, because that seems to be the speed VBA's video output plays at and I don't do anything strange to them after that..

quote:

Retcon?! I may do crazy things, but I don't do that crazy.

fade5 posted:

Wizards work with anima magic :colbert:

(well fine occasionally also romhacking but that definitely counts as dark)

quote:

Also there's something interesting you should know about S-ranks in this game: you can have multiple S-ranks on one unit.

Well, that's good to know because he's already at S staves.

RareAcumen posted:

Enemy armies really hate it when their soldiers start standing out like some kind of special snowflake so they try to put a stop to it as soon as possible.

wait wait what

goddammit I've been playing the wrong rom this whole time!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Then Awakening happened and character stats get up to 66
My Vaike!Gerome has 67 STR as a berserker. :goonsay:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Tell me you put that title screen in game. I know how that process goes and it was a pain in the rear end in FE7.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

FPzero posted:

Tell me you put that title screen in game. I know how that process goes and it was a pain in the rear end in FE7.

vilkacis posted:

I may do crazy things, but I don't do that crazy.

Just editing the image is more than enough hassle for a one-off joke.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
There're a few things I've wanted to draw, but I've been really busy, so you only get this one.

Adorable murder!

Also, I'm sad that Hugh doesn't have a monocle like his dad does.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Adorable murder!

The adorablest murder! :swoon:

quote:

Also, I'm sad that Hugh doesn't have a monocle like his dad does.

I don't know what you're talking about, he clearly has a monocle.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
That murder is VERY adorable.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlphaKretin posted:

My Vaike!Gerome has 67 STR as a berserker. :goonsay:

Dammit I was one off! ONE! OFF! DAMMIT!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dammit I was one off! ONE! OFF! DAMMIT!

Morgan can have 71 strength.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

vilkacis posted:

Roy, promise me this oen thing.

yokaiy posted:

Adorable murder!
I believe the official term is "adorable murderchicken" thank you very much :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Morgan can have 71 strength.

Morgan is dead.

GOD drat.

quote:

I believe the official term is "adorable murderchicken" thank you very much :colbert:

Fae is not chicken :mad:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 17: Ocean's Parting or, Revenge of the Nerds Fliers

forcing out the revolutionaries.

Ilia, the frozen highlands, is a land with short summers and long winters. With so little arable land, the nation's main source of income is mercenary contracts.

Now a joint force under the name of the Eturian Army, their first mission is to enter Ilia and finish off the revolutionaries.

Roy, nominated as leader of the Eturian Army, has the powerful support of the St. Elimine Church. With the church's support comes also the support of the people.
However, Roy has to face not only the freezing cold of Ilia,

Even worse, many skilled mercenary knights of Ilia have sided with Bern.

Gonna conquer the poo poo out of that castle... eventually.

This looks like a breather map, and I happened to notice it has an arena. I'm going to try and get some of these scrubs up to par and decide if I want them promoted or demoted. Probably not going to need all three cavs, what with Marcus (:swoon:) being here and Schwarth (and maybe Zeiss if he's a good boy) being even more mobile, so I'm planning to see whether AlLance or Jerrot impress me more and promote one while the other gets benched and forgotten.

Also, there's this thing! It's... there, I suppose.

And here's a map! Note the islands. Each has a ballista. We will be letting our fliers handle those, because it's hilarious.

Well then.

"And about loving time, too. I was gonna shank him when no one's looking if he survived that battle."

So it seems.
General Murdock, I still feel uncomfortable that we didn't go to his aid.

The king's orders explicitly said to leave him on his own. Bern's army has no use for a man who cannot manage his own messes.

It's an excuse as good as any other. Either way, he's dead. We killed him a whole lot. It was glorious.

Now for the next idiot!

Arcardo, I leave Castle Remi to you. Roartz, you will take Castle Edessa. Make preparations to defend against the enemy.

What?! Remi is right on the border! The enemy will be here in short time!

That much is true. But this position gives us an invaluable strategic advantage against Eturia. You must ensure that this castle does not fall into enemy hands.

Edessa lies all the way in the outer tundra of Ilia...

Yes, so you will have ample time to prepare your defenses.

...You... intend only to take the defensive? You don't mean to take back Eturia?

We play the waiting game for now. We will take Eturia some day. And once we do, it will be under Bern's jurisdiction.

What about us?! That's not what we agreed upon!

You have done nothing to deserve such renumeration.
If you'll excuse us.

What is this strange, fuzzy sensation in my chest? Could it be... happiness?!

We are not to blame if they fall. It is their own incompetence. Our army's code states that every officer must be capable and self-sufficient. Perhaps they should have considered that before joining us...

But then I wouldn't get to see them squirm, and we couldn't have that.

The enemy leader... Roy, was it?

Yes, Roy of Pherae.

I admit he has rebuilt the Lycian Army magnificently. I thought it finished after we crushed it the first time... I hope to cross blades with him before the war is finished.

The two of them fly off.

And as usual, we get a little scene with Roy before the map. I'm beginning to see why people are saying this would be a good time for him to promote... but of course, we don't roll like that.

Thank you for everything, Father Yoder. We've only made it this far thanks to the assistance of the church.

I am only repaying your favor. Had you not captured Aquleia, we would suffer great persecution from Bern. This is nothing compared to what you did for us.

It was my pleasure to help the church.

If I may be so bold... Can I ask one more favor?

Of course, if I am capable.

If you discover anything else about the dragons...

Say no more. If I find anything new, I will report to you immediately.

Roy very carefully does not look in Fae's direction.

You have my eternal thanks.
...Oh yes, I have some information that may be of use. At a certain time of day, the sea level drops, exposing a crossable sandbar.

It would take much time to make your way around the bay to the castle. However, crossing the sandbar would be a direct journey.

I'll bear it in mind.

However you choose ro proceed, please be careful. Rushing forward has its dangers as well.

Thank you for your advice.

Not at all. May the Eturian Army go with Saint Elimine's blessing.

And that's it for the talky bits.

I thought I heard a familiar sounding name, we should probably bring this guy so he can take back his castle at some point.

Now though, time for murder!

Two ballista buttheads, and an axe dude who's completely pointless in every possible way. Let's get 'em!

This is why Lance needs the arena.

We'll let Hugh handle it instead.

Since I have an infinite source of exp here, I don't really care who handles the regular enemies, as long as they get handled.

Most of the enemies are aggressive and will come running around the water to attack us. Dorothy will be killing like all of them.

Zeiss borrowed the Delphi shield since his defence is a little lower than Schwarth's. He is not impressed by the ballista.

Bye now.

I trust you need no screenshots of what happens to the the other guy, since I'm sending Schwarth in his direction.

You think I'm kidding when I say Dorothy will kill everything?

:stare: The cap for regular snipers is only 23 strength? Should probably do something about that...

Shanna gets to do something useful for once.

Holy loving poo poo strength.

a sandbar appears in the bay? It's a path right through the ocean. Good luck!

Roy visits a house and gets some very stale information.

I remember once I was getting ready to go fishing, but by the time I had my boat ready, the tide had already gone out.

The quality of flavour text NPCs has gone to hell since we left home.

I'm just posting this because I find it funny. 4 hit :cawg:

That... kinda hurts, though.

It was once used by the noble Lady Tina...

Fae gets a Tina's staff from the village. It looks like a mend staff with a lower staff level and more uses? Pretty nice!

Zeiss sits back so he can watch his sister show how it's done.

The bishop misses.

Schwarth does not.

Some of the cavs also suicide at her. I'd complain if Schwarth wasn't already capable of soloing the entire map.

That's why I'm considering benching you two.

I know, but a challenge is just what I want.

Allen, I have something to request of you. If we lose.

If we lose?

Yes.
...If it ever looks like defeat is certain, I want you to take Lord Roy and retreat. I will act as a decoy for the enemy and buy you time.

What? But what about you?

If it has to be one of us, it may as well be me. I've served House Pherae the shortest, so-

Have you lost your mind?!

...Allen?

If you're staying, then so will I. I won't allow you to run headfirst into certain death alone.

But you're one of a long line of knights serving House Pherae. It's better that you take Lord Roy and flee.

How long you've served means nothing! Let me ask you this. Do you consider yourself any less loyal than the other knights?

No answer? Then allow me.
You're just as valuable as any of us! You've held to your knightly vows admirably! I've been your partner ever since you came to House Pherae so I know that well!

Allen...

Don't throw your life away, Lance. Lord Roy needs you. We all do.

Iiiii wouldn't go quite that far, but it's nice that you care I guess.

Let the arena fuckery begin.

A short while later, the sandbar shows up.

What?!

According to the locals, the tide pulls out this time of day...

Curses! Charge! Don't allow the enemy to cross that path!

Good luck with that, but we'll be sitting around here for a bit longer.

Did the sandbar appear?

Yes, Father Yoder was right.

Did the enemy know about it?

Actually, no. They seem to be in a panicked state.

Move forward!

When I'm bloody well done!

Apparently this guy had a new spell or something, but he never got to use it, so sad.

Pfft!

Instead, let's get Cath some levels. She's... not Chad, let's just say.

Strength is good.

Allen shows him up. What the gently caress's with that speed, you're supposed to be the slow cav!

The forts start spewing reinforcements. Yes, please do send pegs against my archer.

Mag!

All right Zeiss, let me see what you can

do

are you loving kidding me

drat, she saw me!

i mean

I wasn't going to do anything, I just found this axe lying around and was going to put it someplace safe!

!!

I was too focused on the enemies in front of me.

Don't worry about it. Gale often looked out of me like this, too. If we can survive by helping each other, then that's fine by me.

I think you're breaking Bern's code of military conduct here, but hey, what do I care, the blue paint dried long ago.

But I need to learn to defend myself on my own...

You're still inexperienced. It's all right. I'll watch your back until you're strong enough.

...Thanks.

I must become strong enough to protect her, too...!

Probably not going to happen if you keep that up, just saying!

This is me remembering that I gave Shanna an elysian whip in case she managed to not die horribly getting to 20. That +6 HP isn't too shabby!

Speed is more understandable on Lance.

Look, it's not an empty level! You shithead!

You're a shithead too.

wow so impressive

well let's promote this jerk anyway, I have enough whips for everyone I could possibly care to use.

Still a shithead, unworthy of rad hair.

You're all shitheads!

Even Roy gets in on it.

Hugh is not a shithead. This time.

You're still no Chad, but that's not bad.

That kinda is! Can you hear the bench? It's calling your name.

For whatever reason,

this Sleep staff guy isn't doing anything even though he could.

Better.

Worse, but Schwarth is in range to kill him next round so he won't do it again.

Level 20!

Schwarth is not a horse.

She doesn't have an axe either, god drat you guys suck.

+4 mag :stare:

Hugh is officially past Noah in the Mag department, colour me surprised.

(It's sort of loud yellowy green in case you didn't know.)

Some more enemies suicide on Schwarth.

Cath continues to be Not Chad.

Other enemies fail to hit the broad side of a sleeping wyvern.

ehhhh

better.

Hugh's staff is green, too. He really likes green.

ehhhhhhhhhhhh

Why not let Saul get in on the fun, too?

oh wait I remember this is why gently caress you Saul

I feel like I need to vent some frustration so let's torment Arcardo a bit.

An Eturian noble. Led the mining operation in the Western Isles.

After we look at his stats. He has an axe and a chuckable spear he's never going to equip because I'm going to rescuedrop Dorothy out of range after she hits him, very scary.

What have I done to deserve such a fate?!

I don't know, but if you think really hard you might be able to come up with something!

Wait, I have another reason, too!

And that's 20.

The three of them are... fairly comparable, statwise, but I like Jerrot's defence, and there's also the fact that I doubt anyone has ever used him on charges of being terrible, so

consider your paladunce status reinstated, as long as you don't think you can replace Elderly Hedgehog in my heart.

You won't be replacing anything in my heart.

Jerrot picks up Roy and heads for the castle.

Hey, not bad! Can you do it again?

Arcardo is actually kinda scary if you're a very tiny dragon with levels in the single digits.

I cannot... die... in a place such as this... Gah!

So I had Dorothy shoot him a couple of times first.

At least you never disappoint me.

Unlike some people I could mention.

gently caress this poo poo, we're done.

What a pathetic ending for one with so much power.

Pathetic and fitting, I enjoyed that a lot.

A year ago I myself never imagined I would be leading an army. Fate can be unpredictable... With any luck, the same will be true for Bern, too.

Lord Roy, what is that in your hand?

"No, not Arcardo's gold fillings, I saw you take those from the ashes, the other hand."

Oh, this? It's the Fire Emblem.

That tiny gemstone...?

I take it Roy is not getting a rad infinite use chest key shield thingy.

Princess Guinivere wanted me to keep it. It seemed... difficult for her to give it to me... I think she still hoped to end the war with diplomacy...

Hm... Perhaps she had faith in her brother. Even if that seems unlikely.

Why do you say that?

Because Zephiel is the treacherous king of Bern! It is said that he murdered his own father. I don't expect he would be moved by family trust...

Didn't you know, Lord Roy? Zephiel took the throne because his father, King Desmond, passed on. But because King Desmond's death was so sudden, there were rumors.

So they said...?

...Yes, that Zephiel assassinated him.

...Does Princess Guinivere know about this?

I'm sure she is at least aware of the rumors. She may even know the whole story.

'Course, those of us who played FE7 would probably say we know what's up, except FE7 retcons the hell out of this game so who even knows what they were thinking when they made it.

Pretty nice name for chapter 17, I had thought it was about a completely different kind of parting (Arcardo doesn't count). But we're parting with it now, so next time it's all about frozen rivers... I guess.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 12, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, and I tried doing something new with the gifs. Are they still fast, or is this better?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You probably already know but this is another route split, if your nomads had higher combined levels than your peg knights then you would have gone to Sacae instead.

E: VVV You're probably joking about the blatant superiority of Wolt (and to a lesser extent Dorothy), but just in case; we got Sue in chapter... 6? (Thria, round castle with lots of locked rooms, Wagner, first cath appearance) and Shin along with Fir in the first western isles chapter, both of them nomads.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 12, 2015

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

AlphaKretin posted:

You probably already know but this is another route split, if your nomads had higher combined levels than your peg knights then you would have gone to Sacae instead.

Wait, we have nomads? Since when?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

I did actually know there was a split like that, though I wasn't sure when and where. No need for spoiler tags since it's already happened, either.

Pyroi posted:

Wait, we have nomads? Since when?

No, you'd have to be mad to think so.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gifs are fine now.

Also, :cripes: I can't believe it took me so long to realize that the people with sprite edits have had their stats messed with* and that's most of the point to it.

*Minus Dorothy.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Good.

The stat-messing is kinda all over the place - I haven't done more than change the mugs for some of them (Saul, Fir, etc); Jerrot lost levels but kept his vanilla portrait, stats, and growths; Wendy and Zeiss got more levels (and stats according to their average growths) but no changes to bases or growth (aside from a generic +1 move to all knights and generals, friendly and hostile)... Some got single specific tweaks (Miledy's triple speed growth, Ogier's +100 speed growth)... I'm sure there's more I'm not remembering. But IIRC there are only, like, four characters who got really big changes - Wolt being the most major, the Phantasy Star references got better growths because I am biased as gently caress, and Cecilia got a scar and her bases boosted to look like she had actually gained 19 levels before promoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

vilkacis posted:

Oh, and I tried doing something new with the gifs. Are they still fast, or is this better?

RareAcumen posted:

Gifs are fine now.

Yeah they're definitely playing at a more normal speed now.

Also thank you for fixing Zeiss's hair. :3:

• Locked thread