Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am quite surprised that nobody mentioned that broken arm of Kevin Ware style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
I love the pen scene because Mikado went back to acting like his usual dorky self worrying about a wound that he himself caused

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah those last two eps were a pretty satisfying finish for that run. More in July? I'm in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

point of return posted:

I love the pen scene because Mikado went back to acting like his usual dorky self worrying about a wound that he himself caused

That was what Aoba found disturbing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Welp! Time to prepare for the second third of the season! When should we expect the first episode?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Welp! Time to prepare for the second third of the season! When should we expect the first episode?

July 4th

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

New episode is out.

In which Izaya is bored in the hospital.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Why do the op's keep getting more boring? This new one is terrible. The ed was neat though.

The episode itself was a kinda brilliant way to both recap the previous half and setup the next series of clusterfucks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, the reveal of Izaya's visitor was done a lot better in the novels. But I suppose that's hardly the fault of the anime. For those interested, the scene with Izaya drugging those two girls is the very first chapter of the first novel and so Izaya's "who are you" is meant to be a reflection of the reader's own thoughts and you're supposed to figure out who it is at the same time as him, it's done pretty well. Though in the anime that scene was replaced with the stuff with him kidnapping Rio from the first episodes, so it's got a different effect.

A pretty good episode though, Izaya has no friends who care that he got stabbed and the people he considers enemies don't give a gently caress either. :allears:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

He's reduced to trolling Shinra over the phone and fantasizing about people coming to beat him up. Poor guy

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Shinra is a really weird dude.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Shinra is a really weird dude.

So is Izaya. Probably why they're friends.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So is Izaya. Probably why they're friends.

Their friendship is as weird as they are.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lotta messed up people, in this show

i like how mika is basically the most informed character in the show it turns out

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I really hope that there is an episode just about Shinra and Celty's vacation while constantly getting interrupted by every other character.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Are there any non-messed up people in the show? Other than like Tom, and maybe Celty. Messed up people being involved in complicated shenanigans is kind of what the show is all about.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Are there any non-messed up people in the show? Other than like Tom, and maybe Celty. Messed up people being involved in complicated shenanigans is kind of what the show is all about.

Other then being an Assassin Egor seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Edit: Due to the way I phrased that Celty is disqualified from the non messed up people in this show.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Celty is abnormally scared of traffic cops, and is attracted to Shinra. She's plenty messed up.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Out of all the messed up people on this show, I do think that Namie, Seiji, and Mika are the most hosed up of all.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Cake Attack posted:

i like how mika is basically the most informed character in the show it turns out

Seriously, its pretty mad. She probably knows more than Izaya at this point. Shame that she wont really do anything with that information unless its for Seiji's sake though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

the wildest rear end posted:

Out of all the messed up people on this show, I do think that Namie, Seiji, and Mika are the most hosed up of all.

The real question is who is the most messed up out of the three of them? (It's Mika)

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The real question is who is the most messed up out of the three of them? (It's Mika)

It's close between her and Namie

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah other then being in love with a head (and willing to murder for it). Seiji seems somewhat adjusted.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Namie didn't come up with the plan to eat the head. She only thought it was a good idea after hearing Mika talk about it. Mika is goddamn insane.

Also Seiji fell in love with a head in a jar and tried to kill a girl over it. Dude is loving weird.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Namie didn't come up with the plan to eat the head. She only thought it was a good idea after hearing Mika talk about it. Mika is goddamn insane.

Also Seiji fell in love with a head in a jar and tried to kill a girl over it. Dude is loving weird.

I though Namie thought that idea was crazy too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

After hearing that idea Namie actually gained respect for Mika. You may be overestimating how sane Namie is about anything related to her little brother.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Namie probably wants to get into her brother's pants, which is almost as crazy as wanting to eat a head imo

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Namie probably wants to get into her brother's pants, which is almost as crazy as wanting to eat a head imo
I miss your old av

vv Comparing incest to eating heads is like comparing weed to bath salts.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I'm no WH, but I'm going to put these on different levels.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hmmm...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

All right I can see your point

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I miss your old av

helmetcat.png was taken before its time, by various ralp avatars :rip:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

helmetcat.png was taken before its time, by various ralp avatars :rip:
I mean the snarky bunny girl av

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The driver of the van gang seems pretty normal, his only thing is that he likes an idol a lot which is nothing compared to any other character.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Paracelsus posted:

Celty is abnormally scared of traffic cops, and is attracted to Shinra. She's plenty messed up.

Traffic cops are always hassling black people, that's perfectly normal of her.

And Shinra's enthusiastic, upbeat, madly in love with her, and designed to look as generically attractive as most anime characters with just glasses to signify he's a nerd. And he's got a more stable job than she does, barely.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shrina has admitted to Celty that he finds their love more important than she herself. So he is willing to lie to her, hurt her, and manipulate her in order to preserve that love. Celty still falls in love with him despite this, the relationship is pretty messed up.

Though it is still probably the least messed up form of love in the entire series, at least in like the top 3 most normal.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Shrina has admitted to Celty that he finds their love more important than she herself. So he is willing to lie to her, hurt her, and manipulate her in order to preserve that love. Celty still falls in love with him despite this, the relationship is pretty messed up.

Though it is still probably the least messed up form of love in the entire series, at least in like the top 3 most normal.

Is this drawing from LN material or do I need to go back and rewatch the earlier seasons?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is this drawing from LN material or do I need to go back and rewatch the earlier seasons?

Probably from end of the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The "who's the weirdness nut-job among this group of nut-jobs" seems like the kind of fruitless argument you're likely to find regarding power-levels on a Type-Moon thread / wiki or something. Mostly because they all seem to be somewhat nuts. Part of what's interesting for yours truly, however, is how they all seem to try to maintain some semblance of normal facade and that, in some cases, they're getting a bit better about it. Let's look into it for the main-ish characters:
  • Shizuo has a lot of issues with keeping his viciously-violent-streak-freakish-strength combo under control. He seems to be getting a bit better about it, though (especially when Izaya is not involved); having Tom and Celty as his closest friends and a group of dudes/ladies that don't mind hanging out with him when he's chill seems to be doing the job.
  • Shinra is a loving weirdo, though how much of that is due to Shingen 'raising' him + growing up with a headless fae, Izaya and the Heiwajima brothers as close acquaintances and how much is him just preferring weird stuff from the get-go is anybody's guess. Also, a lot of people find him annoying. He seems to have a somewhat steady gig and does seem to like Celty for reals and not just because of 'the love that they share'.
  • Kyohei seems like the pacifying influence in a group consisting of three otaku weirdos, but the fact that he seems to go into weird tangents himself means that he's not all that normal. Compared to Walker and Erika, he can still come off as normal, and actively tries to rein in those two.
  • All six of the main high school kids have some emotional baggage from before the series began. In some cases, we're shown what the damage is (Masaomi's iffy past as a gang-leader + Izaya's influence over the key incident, Anri's domestic tragedy + bullying at school), we can probably make a pretty sure-fire guess (growing up with Izaya as a brother couldn't possibly have positive effects in the long run for the twins) and some are yet to be shown (You're loving dreaming if you think I'm that much of a douche to spoil Mikado's and Aoba's backstories; we'll get there... probably).
  • Izaya, well, you're gonna find out this season. Of course, if you've been following all three cours of this show so far, you know he has a few screws loose. Even with that into account, it also seems that he's able to appear somewhat civil when he stands to gain something (being in cahoots with the Yakuza dude with the fox-like eyes).
  • Celty seems like the most outwardly weird. You know, what with her being a headless fae and all. But she also has a lot of down-to-earth qualities, especially concerning the way she carries herself. Her relationships with Shizuo, Anri and Mikado always give me this air of 'older-sis helping you sort your poo poo out' whenever she has the time, because of course she's not always gonna have the time. She has a job, and is decent at it. And her fears regarding both goofy stuff (aliens, dinosaurs and paranormal stuff) and serious stuff (the traffic cops being after her) seem like the conclusion of normal experiences, like people getting scared when watching a horror movie or having unwanted brushes against authority. Of course, she also has a few quirks: Her relationship with the aforementioned annoying weirdo and her ignorance of traffic norms being chief among them. She does seem to keep them under control most of the time, however. It probably helps that she's unable to talk normally and needs to use her mobile device.
  • The Yagiri brothers and Mika seem like the most disturbing of the bunch, despite appearing somewhat normal in appearances. For the most part, they are almost completely inconsequential to the plot, with Namie staying relevant mostly due to her being Izaya's employee and being almost as bonkers as her boss, she's just better at hiding it.
Of course, that's just my take. Some of the secondary guys (the Yakuza guys, the russian dudes and lady, etcetera) also have some interesting traits when it comes to the weirdo/normie ratio. Hell, even the foreign dudes the Van gang hangs out with have some interesting traits. I don't know who's the person/team in charge of scripts for the anime adaptation, but they've been doing right by Narita's original novels for the most part.

• Locked thread