Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Electric Phantasm posted:

Someone tell me more about the UK Sonic comics please.

The story beep by grandpa's av is taken from was written by Mark Millar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

That loving Sned posted:

I think it was in the music in one of Knuckles' stages, where Sonic says "You're drat right, Knuckles!"

You're right about it being a good decision to move away from that kind of story. Speaking of Yuji Naka, I think he has a new game coming out this year for the 3DS and Wii U, which is a bit like a 3D Nights game where you have to use homing attacks and lightspeed dashes to stay airborne. It looks really low budget, since the Wii U version is just a port of the 3DS one.

Apparently, when he left SEGA during Sonic 06's development he asked if anyone wanted to join him. No-one did. He was responsible for a few really good games, but was a nightmare to work with.
I forgot about that lyric, but what I was referring to was the opening cutscene on the hero side, where one of the pilots was supposed to say "Get that drat Hedgehog" or something. This was changed before release.

Related to '06, one of the major reasons that it was rushed was that they focused most of their manpower and development time on Shadow the Hedgehog, or so I hear. I don't know if that's one of the reasons Yuji Naka left, or if that was his decision, since he was highly enthusiastic on Shadow, or what.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Normie Slayer posted:

Related to '06, one of the major reasons that it was rushed was that they focused most of their manpower and development time on Shadow the Hedgehog, or so I hear. I don't know if that's one of the reasons Yuji Naka left, or if that was his decision, since he was highly enthusiastic on Shadow, or what.

They also wanted to have something ready for the Wii's launch, so they took away some developers again to work on a port of '06, but it wasn't possible so they made Secret Rings instead. This meant '06 didn't have a full development team for most of its production.

Instead of leeching people off for side games again, they just split Sonic Team into two teams after that, with the A team developing Unleashed and Generations, and the B team making the storybook games, Colours, and Lost World. If the A team's game is released next year for the 25th anniversary, they would've had a full five years to work on it.

The worst thing you could be is optimistic for a Sonic game, so let's assume it's been in development hell.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

That loving Sned posted:

If the A team's game is released next year for the 25th anniversary, they would've had a full five years to work on it.

The worst thing you could be is optimistic for a Sonic game, so let's assume it's been in development hell.

The worst result is if the game is sort of mediocre. I want the game to either be good or be 2006-bad.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Since Runners seems to be doing okay, we'll get Sonic Dash 2, Flappy Chao and a freemium CCG for mobiles.

And Sonic Classic Collection for 3DS, naturally.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Wheany posted:

The worst result is if the game is sort of mediocre. I want the game to either be good or be 2006-bad.

Exactly. It needs to be somewhat decent but with a huge crippling flaw, or bad enough to teach kids not to buy just anything with a recognisable character on the box.

There are completely unfounded rumours that the 25th anniversary game will feature Sonic going through stages based on other SEGA franchises, so look forward to the Ecco the Dolphin level. Also, it will feature classic Sonic again in some way. You can probably trust any rumour that doesn't mention it being Adventure 3.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

And Sonic Classic Collection for 3DS, naturally.

I dunno, that'd involve actually redoing Sonic 3K in some way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sonic Dash 2 is already announced, it uses Sonic Boom characters.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sonic Dash 2 is already announced, it uses Sonic Boom characters.

Sonic Dash 2 is already released.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

:cripes: Of course. I mean, why not?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So I decided to actually try out the Boom WiiU demo and it's...not as bad as I was expecting? I wasn't anything spectacular but I'd pay, like, $20 for it.

Except for the third part, holy poo poo that speed sequence. Usually a framerate has to plummet before I'll even begin to notice it, and I'm the type of person who legitimately cannot see the difference between 30 and 60 fps, but my eyes loving hurt after dealing with that section.

Which I'm guessing means that the reason it was so reviled is because it really was THAT buggy?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Keep in mind the game did get a patch at one point, so it was worse.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

sharrrk posted:

mr. yuji naka is alright

I played Shadow the Hedgehog yesterday for the first time. It was a worthless experience, until I found that Easter egg.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Flytrap posted:

So I decided to actually try out the Boom WiiU demo and it's...not as bad as I was expecting? I wasn't anything spectacular but I'd pay, like, $20 for it.

Except for the third part, holy poo poo that speed sequence. Usually a framerate has to plummet before I'll even begin to notice it, and I'm the type of person who legitimately cannot see the difference between 30 and 60 fps, but my eyes loving hurt after dealing with that section.

Which I'm guessing means that the reason it was so reviled is because it really was THAT buggy?

The Boom demo is also very selective and kinda deceptive in a way.

To generally sum up:
The demo lacks the hub levels, which are far too big, poorly laid out (and the map was pretty much useless prior to the patch), and were generally a source for some of the more ridiculous glitches, performance issues, and generally bad level design. Also you means you don't see the :effort: in the side characters, quests, and general story cohesion.
The demo also isn't something you're generally likely to try the multiplayer for, which means you don't run into the issues that stem from co-op gameplay, such as the graphics downgrade, more performance issues, but also terrible triggers for characters teleporting to each other when they're too far apart (and the game can never made up its mind on how far that is).
And in general you have no realisation of the fact that two of the three stages of the demo are from late in the game, so what seems like a decent first boss battle against Eggman is actually like, the second to last boss IIRC? Also Q-N-C seems like someone the characters would actually get to know, but... they really, really don't.

For me, Boom is at its most frustrating when you can see its wasted potential, though the Infinite Jump glitch provides some sobering amusement.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Re: STC, the UK Sonic Comic.

I was enthralled with these things as a kid. I'd buy every issue. STC did a /lot/ of really weird poo poo, it had to fill out four stories every two weeks and all of them were usually part of the same continuity so occasionally somebody would go insane on the writing staff and they'd be stuck with a character having an alcohol problem.

The premise itself of the comic, Sonic and friends are freedom fighters fighting the Robotnik empire has been done a thousand times, but Sonic's crew in this included the animals that you'd see freed at the end of Acts in Sonic 1. So in addition to Amy Rose (Who was a lunatic wielding a crossbow gun in this) you'd have Techno the Canary and Johnny Lightfoot (One of the birds and one of the rabbits). Hell they even pre-empted the Badnik gone good idea with Shortfuse the Cybernik (one of the squirrels).

I honestly like a lot of the concepts, Super Sonic being a murderous lunatic sounds like a one off thing to be edgy and drive sales, but they did so much with him as a character that it justified itself. Kid me was always super confused about why Super Sonic was depicted as a good guy in the games as a result though.

It was also, really really British. Like I recall Sonic once being sent to the Football Zone and having to whip a bad but kindhearted team into shape to win a football game?

The upside of all of this though is that on the 100th issue, which depicted the defeat of Robotnik was one giant issue where each individual story that you'd been following linked into each other to build up to the finale. It was really rewarding because you could see the pieces of what happened having been painstakingly laid out over something like 25 comics and to see it all come together was amazing.

Ultimately the comic ran out of steam after this and whilst it did have some really belting stories, eventually it caved under financial pressure.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I recall Sonic once being sent to the Football Zone
10/10

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Re: STC, the UK Sonic Comic.

And Johnny LIghtfoot straight up died during the Sonic Adventure adaptation.

I've always appreciated that Amy got a good amount of exposure in Euro Sonic material. Here in the US she was a character I knew about but it was years before I even knew her name since she wasn't in the comics that much, and the Sega CD release of Sonic CD called her Sally. One thing I always found funny though was her design in the Euro stuff, which seemed to be based exclusively on a single piece of official Sonic CD art.

Every single depiction of her, from comics to gamebooks to that infamous joke book, depicted her spines turned up like that. I guess Sega never sent out the official reference sheet for her, and no one bothered checking how she looked in the actual games. Obviously this changed when her design was updated after Sonic Adventure came out.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I still like how the UK comic dealt with Robotnik now being Eggman. In the US comics, they did some convoluted bullshit about a robot Robotnik who had Eggman's body as a backup shell if he got destroyed. In the UK comic, Robotnik... just put on a new coat instead and that was that.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I still like how the UK comic dealt with Robotnik now being Eggman. In the US comics, they did some convoluted bullshit about a robot Robotnik who had Eggman's body as a backup shell if he got destroyed. In the UK comic, Robotnik... just put on a new coat instead and that was that.

It's been 10+ years since I've read the Archie comics, but i'm pretty sure that poo poo was because they wrote themselves into a corner after wasting the SATAM Robotnik early on. After realizing the story needed Robotnik to antagonize Sonic and friends instead of stupid poo poo like having Sonic piss around with mini Morgan Freeman and Knuckles get harassed by jihadi anthro dingos (seriously), they dug up an old gimmick robot Robotnik from a "battle of the timelines!" or whatever issue and made him the baddie. Turns out that he was the only Robotnik available when they needed to do the SA1 adaption, so they worked around him.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I honestly like a lot of the concepts, Super Sonic being a murderous lunatic sounds like a one off thing to be edgy and drive sales, but they did so much with him as a character that it justified itself. Kid me was always super confused about why Super Sonic was depicted as a good guy in the games as a result though.

It was also, really really British.

It really was ace.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The comic shops I've seen in San Francisco refuse to stock Sonic comics. The owners say they're bad but you can special order them if you need Sonic comics for some reason. I haven't read any and I don't plan to.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It seems we all have Sonic inside us: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_hedgehog

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

The comic shops I've seen in San Francisco refuse to stock Sonic comics. The owners say they're bad but you can special order them if you need Sonic comics for some reason. I haven't read any and I don't plan to.

I've read the US ones from Genesis up to the start of the Worlds Collide crossover, and they were fine? Not having any particular interest in them is one thing, refusing to stock them entirely in some weird display of comic snobbery is just loving stupid.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Weird the comic store I go to always sells out of the new ones unless they overstock. The only thing that doesn't sell to hot is the Super Digest.

closeted republican posted:

It's been 10+ years since I've read the Archie comics, but i'm pretty sure that poo poo was because they wrote themselves into a corner after wasting the SATAM Robotnik early on. After realizing the story needed Robotnik to antagonize Sonic and friends instead of stupid poo poo like having Sonic piss around with mini Morgan Freeman and Knuckles get harassed by jihadi anthro dingos (seriously), they dug up an old gimmick robot Robotnik from a "battle of the timelines!" or whatever issue and made him the baddie. Turns out that he was the only Robotnik available when they needed to do the SA1 adaption, so they worked around him.

During and after Worlds Collide, the comic pretty much got better. They got rid of a lot of old comic characters. If they weren't in SatAM or the games then they gone. If you ever wanted to read the Sonic comic books now is a good time. Just skip up to Worlds Collide (if you like Mega Man) or after because all the poo poo before then with weird condiluted story doesn't matter anymore. Except Genesis, because Genesis was good.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sonic comics sell really well or else they wouldn't have three ongoing Sonic titles to meet reader demand. However, they sell to kids, so some lovely comic shops might refuse to stock Archie stuff in general because of that. I wouldn't be surprised.

Guessing they also don't stock stuff like Teen Titans Go or the TV-based Ultimate Spider-Man comics? The ones explicitly for kids.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

Sonic comics sell really well or else they wouldn't have three ongoing Sonic titles to meet reader demand. However, they sell to kids, so some lovely comic shops might refuse to stock Archie stuff in general because of that. I wouldn't be surprised.

Guessing they also don't stock stuff like Teen Titans Go or the TV-based Ultimate Spider-Man comics? The ones explicitly for kids.

It could also be because Sonic comics are published under the Archie brand. Gotta make room for DC and Marvel.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

StC also had Sonic going to Earth, specifically London, Metal Sonic betraying Robotnik, and the city of the ancient Echidnas being based off Incan civilisation long before the games did.

I like it when Robotnik has some limits to what he can build, rather than pulling fleets of airships or theme park planets out of nowhere, such as in SA2 where he had to rely on his allies and his grandfather's space colony/death ray. In StC he was more of a dictator than a robot designer, and he employed people like gangsters, shady businessmen and weapon designers who benefitted from him being in power.

He also had his chief scientist, Grimer, design Metal Sonic, but Robotnik had the sense to put in a remote self destruct due to its sentient AI. Amy's friend Tekno was also a weapons designer who defected.

Amy was way more competent than the games later made her, and she took over as the leader whenever Sonic was trapped in another world, or later on when he thought his friends were just a liability. Sonic had a lot of flaws, like his arrogance, the way he treated his friends (to the point that one of them quits), and the whole Super Sonic thing. At one point he thought he'd killed all his friends during his transformation, and the stress made it happen more and more frequently until Super Sonic became a separate entity.

The UK comic was a continuation of the games' story with some elements from SatAM, while the Archie comic was the other way round. New games like Sonic 3&K and Knuckles' Chaotix were really well integrated into the story, although Sonic Adventure had to have major changes to fit into all that crazy stuff that had been written thanks to so many years without a new game. That was also around the time the comic was cancelled, not because it wasn't popular, just because the publishers had a policy to not keep a comic going for longer than five years.

The ending was a bit strange though. After years of failure, Robotnik gives up entirely, and only wants to see how it all ends. They somehow predicted how we'd all feel about the series 20 years later.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Archie Sonic is completely fine nowadays. Great writer that constantly winks to the fans with references (yet thankfully never lets it get over-bearing/pandering), art team that knocks it out of the park, and plots that are fun to follow. These days the comic is much more of a light-hearted adventure story. It made Silver totally likable, for example, so if you like or ever wanted to like the majority of the Sonic cast, the recent Archie books are right up your alley.

Archie Mega Man is also pretty great....sadly we'll soon have to say was pretty great. :(

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That loving Sned posted:

That was also around the time the comic was cancelled, not because it wasn't popular, just because the publishers had a policy to not keep a comic going for longer than five years.

Really? I know that it's better for things to end than to be driven into the ground, but they really need to play these things by ear.

Out of interest, is there anywhere online to read StC? I kept up with most of the run until I hit secondary school, then I stopped for some reason, at a really interesting point as well - just after the big story where Robotnik absorbed the emeralds' power, and Sonic finds him again with all of the evil sucked out of him and he'd turned back into Kintobor. Why I stopped there I have no idea.

Plus I want to read Decap Attack again, that poo poo was rad as hell.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Out of interest, is there anywhere online to read StC? I kept up with most of the run until I hit secondary school, then I stopped for some reason, at a really interesting point as well - just after the big story where Robotnik absorbed the emeralds' power, and Sonic finds him again with all of the evil sucked out of him and he'd turned back into Kintobor. Why I stopped there I have no idea.

Plus I want to read Decap Attack again, that poo poo was rad as hell.

http://en.sonicscanf.org/comics/

The first six issues are absolutely terrible. You can also read all the Archie comics on this site, as well as the fan-made continuation of StC.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
http://en.sonicscanf.org/comics/sonic-the-comic/062/#16

I forgot how much I loved this comic.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Here a good reason to read the Archie Sonic comics

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhsj9J0BbqM

I have no loving words.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Does anyone remember the title of some Mystic Cave Zone music mashup with some rap/hip hop video? I think it had people doing stuff in the streets?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Buying this DLC right now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, Sonic Boom's been sorta meh lately. The latest episode involved a chili cook-off and Knuckles getting in a quest to find a rare chili pepper that turned out to be the chief of a pepper village that want to take their lands back from Sonic and friends and it was still kinda boring.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it is a cartoon for 8 year olds

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, but it could stand to be wackier and more energetic, like Teen Titans GO. There were some boring chunks with characters just standing and talking with small jokes and no music going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Relin posted:

Does anyone remember the title of some Mystic Cave Zone music mashup with some rap/hip hop video? I think it had people doing stuff in the streets?

https://youtu.be/3gxnv0mBeU4

• Locked thread