Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Kemper Boyd posted:

About ten years later, a bunch of these countries have got neoliberal governments who want to take part in interventions (for what purpose, I do not know) but they didn't really check first if it was even feasible to do so. Nevermind fixing defense issues while at it. too cheap to pay for a real army.

The biggest threat to defense budgeting in any country nowadays is a conservative government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Nobody in Europe is willing to pay adequately for defense, conservative or liberal.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol: Former fighter pilot says he single-handedly saved the world? Sounds legit.
I was summarizing his involvement. If you actually listen to the stories he makes no particular claims that his actions were all that important, just that they might have been construed by the Soviets as part of an organized response by the U.S. Instead of the actions of a single over-aggressive pilot.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol: Former fighter pilot says he single-handedly saved the world? Sounds legit.

So there I was at 20k, Stalin, Kruschev, and Mao were each turning in on me.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Forums Terrorist posted:

The biggest threat to defense budgeting in any country nowadays is a conservative government.

yeah I know US conservatives are prone to cutting defense spending

E: although I guess you could phrase overspending as "a threat to budgeting", but i don't think that's what you meant

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

david_a posted:

I was summarizing his involvement. If you actually listen to the stories he makes no particular claims that his actions were all that important, just that they might have been construed by the Soviets as part of an organized response by the U.S. Instead of the actions of a single over-aggressive pilot.
The idea that a low pass by a fighter pilot in any way tipped the Soviet calculus about nuclear warfare with the People's Republic of China is the sort of extraordinary claim that demands really extraordinary evidence.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Enourmo posted:

E: although I guess you could phrase overspending as "a threat to budgeting", but i don't think that's what you meant

Well, with what happened to the Raptor buy among other very damaging long term things, I would say that the US conservatives did grudgefuck the military budget.

Also there's the minor matter of sequestration.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Enourmo posted:

It's one part the fiscal hawk wing making noise, one part sequestration (you don't get to claim credit for raising the defense budget when you shut down the entire federal apparatus in the process), one part making bad purchasing decisions and one part wishful thinking/I really want to push "right wingers are penny wise and pound foolish about the military" as a general politics meme.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dead Reckoning posted:

The idea that a low pass by a fighter pilot in any way tipped the Soviet calculus about nuclear warfare with the People's Republic of China is the sort of extraordinary claim that demands really extraordinary evidence.
I am much more interested about whether Nixon's madman bluff actually inadvertently averted a Soviet attack than I am about arguing over the exact wording of my summary of someone's story of a very minor incident.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

xthetenth posted:

Well, with what happened to the Raptor buy among other very damaging long term things, I would say that the US conservatives did grudgefuck the military budget.

Also there's the minor matter of sequestration.

The defense cuts in sequestration were due to a demand from the Democrats that military be cut substantially more by ratio than everything else. Sequestration happened because House, the Senate, and the President couldn't agree on a separate, non-automatic set of budget cuts. The Raptor buy was cut by the Obama administration, and yes, while Bob Gates was a significant player in that, Obama made cutting the F-22 a campaign pledge and was sufficiently invested in its demise that he didn't want to be photographed next to one.

So unless you're playing some stupid word games like "well all US politicians are actually conservative!" (which I've seen before on this forum, admittedly) then your claim makes no sense.

VVVV Oh my god I hate it when I'm right.

e: edited for mlmp08

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 12, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Sequestration was all on the House Republicans, yelling at the dems for not being even more spineless is pretty lol.

also lol at implying that the dems aren't also conservatives :d&d:

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Mortabis posted:

Nobody in Europe is willing to pay adequately for defense, conservative or liberal.

Finland, the Baltic countries and Poland have at least kept their defense capabilities going since 1991, but since the end of the Cold War, the fact remains that countries like Belgium and Holland simply don't have any sort of existential threat directed at them.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, according to several stories like this one, it was a direct threat from Nixon via Kissinger that persuaded the Soviet Union to back down, which is a hell of a lot more believable.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

The defense cuts in sequestration were due to a demand from the Democrats that military be cut substantially more by ratio than everything else. Sequestration happened because Congress and the President couldn't agree on a separate, non-automatic set of budget cuts. The Raptor buy was cut by the Obama administration, and yes, while Bob Gates was a significant player in that, Obama made cutting the F-22 a campaign pledge and was sufficiently invested in its demise that he didn't want to be photographed next to one.

So unless you're playing some stupid word games like "well all US politicians are actually conservative!" (which I've seen before on this forum, admittedly) then your claim makes no sense.

This is both incredibly simplistic and factually wrong, sorry. The idea that congress had a deal and the President threw that deal out is one of those lies people just keep repeating in the hopes that one day it's accepted as truth.

e: I finally started getting responses from my rep, who I was calling on a daily basis, when I started detailing every school and exercise I was pulling my unit from and blocking Soldiers from attending, some of which supported the Marines (my rep is a former Marine). When he finally broke ranks with the Tea Party hardliners and voted for some form of compromise later, he was of course excorciated as a RINO despite being pretty loving hardcore in his right-wing credentials. It was pretty fun when we pulled a BN(+) out of the field 4 days into their 3-week pre-deployment exercise due to sequestration. Mad about dumbass sequestration over here :mad:

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 12, 2015

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

mlmp08 posted:

This is both incredibly simplistic and factually wrong, sorry. The idea that congress had a deal and the President threw that deal out is one of those lies people just keep repeating in the hopes that one day it's accepted as truth.

That's not what I said.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

quote:

Sequestration happened because Congress and the President couldn't agree on a separate, non-automatic set of budget cuts.

That heavily implies that congress had a plan that would pass congress to even reach the president.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

mlmp08 posted:

That heavily implies that congress had a plan that would pass congress to even reach the president.

Okay, that sentence is ambiguous and I'll edit it for you.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

e: I finally started getting responses from my rep, who I was calling on a daily basis, when I started detailing every school and exercise I was pulling my unit from and blocking Soldiers from attending, some of which supported the Marines (my rep is a former Marine). When he finally broke ranks with the Tea Party hardliners and voted for some form of compromise later, he was of course excorciated as a RINO despite being pretty loving hardcore in his right-wing credentials. It was pretty fun when we pulled a BN(+) out of the field 4 days into their 3-week pre-deployment exercise due to sequestration. Mad about dumbass sequestration over here :mad:

My job / career relies on NIH funding. We got buttfucked severely by sequestration. Obama had nothing to do with that coming down.

If you want to point fingers blame Ted Cruz for riling up the far right with this 'no compromises ever' bullshit just before the deadline and then Boehner for letting his own party get away from him and not coming to any kind of agreement.

I did get to sit in on a meeting with an FDA, NIH and a longterm Ivy league Grants office administrator where all of them told me that "Sequestration was just coded into the last round of talks because its so idiotic there would be no way the government would ever let it happen, I wouldn't worry about your funding 'That Works', people usually work these things out before they are ever issues."

Yeah 2 weeks later the FDA and NIH guy were on furlough and the grants office administrator took a position at a pharma company.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mortabis posted:

Yeah but progressive governments at least used to not be as quick on the trigger.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Mortabis has, at best, a fragile and intermittent relationship with reality.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mortabis also seems to have a fragile relationship with noticing the difference between saying the conservatives have been bad for military budgets and saying the more liberal parties are good, less bad or anything actually.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Dead Reckoning posted:

For real though, if I was SecDef, all defense cuts would first be taken from the ample flesh of The Worst Service.

the army?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Everything but SAC is superfluous.

SAC does not turn back.

:911:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

xthetenth posted:

Everything but SAC is superfluous.

SAC does not turn back.

Gentlemen, the question is not "Do we need B-70s" the question is "how many megatons can we fit on each B-70?"

BOMBERS ALWAYS GET THROUGH

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

AceRimmer posted:

Yeah, according to several stories like this one, it was a direct threat from Nixon via Kissinger that persuaded the Soviet Union to back down, which is a hell of a lot more believable.

On the side there: HSBC fires six for performing mock ‘Islamic State’ execution as team-building exercise :catstare:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sounds like a lame company that can't take a joke.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Probably had to up it to that because no one was going to laugh at their "Lets launder billions for Mexican cartels and get rich as poo poo and pay a small fine for it" skit.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The Navy's Army, and more specifically the Navy's Army's Air Force if at all possible. One rated Marine Air Wing CGO I worked was getting a refresher on small unit tactics for their PME in correspondence, but their LNO never learned how or when to request non-ATO refueling. All I could think was, "what the gently caress is wrong with your priorities?" :psyduck:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Gentlemen, the question is not "Do we need B-70s" the question is "how many megatons can we fit on each B-70?"

BOMBERS ALWAYS GET THROUGH

Castle Bravo was the risky fart of nukes. Taco night every night.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dead Reckoning posted:

The Navy's Army, and more specifically the Navy's Army's Air Force if at all possible. One rated Marine Air Wing CGO I worked was getting a refresher on small unit tactics for their PME in correspondence, but their LNO never learned how or when to request non-ATO refueling. All I could think was, "what the gently caress is wrong with your priorities?" :psyduck:

That way when he runs out of fuel and crashes, he can effectively recruit and run a small guerilla unit behind enemy lines.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

One rated Marine Air Wing CGO I worked was getting a refresher on small unit tactics for their PME in correspondence, but their LNO never learned how or when to request non-ATO refueling. All I could think was, "what the gently caress is wrong with your priorities?" :psyduck:

This is like the joke you tell at the bar and when you're done everyone looks at you like :o:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Dead Reckoning posted:

pretty sure its the regular army

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

pretty sure its the regular army

The Marines don't need goddamned airplanes or aircraft carriers. As evidenced by iyaayas's story, they don't even know how to make THAT useful.

bewbies posted:

This is like the joke you tell at the bar and when you're done everyone looks at you like :o:

It's also one of those jokes that's funny until people realize that it's actually really loving sad. His story isn't the joke, pretending Marine aviation is a special snowflake is.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
This is not just a picture, its a metaphor

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 13, 2015

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

Trying to decode this. If his flight orders didn't include explicit instructions to go refuel at such-and-such a time, he'd just let his planes fall out of the sky?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

As of today, Russia is invading Georgia again. :psyduck:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Back Hack posted:

Welp, Russia is invading Georgia again. :psyduck:

Wait what

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Back Hack posted:

As of today, Russia is invading Georgia again. :psyduck:

DCS: Putin's Game is go.

http://agenda.ge/news/38872/eng

Apparently they're moving the totally incorrect "border fence" further and further back into Georgia?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 13, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

There are no Russian troops in Georgia. *nudges border with foot, takes another step*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE