Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Kurtofan posted:

I like the bounty hunter from Deadman Switch, funny guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I am pretty sure he savior of the universe. He saved everyone of us.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"You're saying Osiris is here on earth manipulating Dr. Jackson's dreams?"
I loving love General Hammond's summations of an episode, and that he just takes whatever SG-1 says at complete face value. Like , ok, Jack O'Neill is now 15. Let's just roll with that. All the weapons and half the food on the base just disappeared, must have something to do with SG-1, better start on the requisition forms to replace everything.

General Hammond was an awesome character, and Weir and Landry couldn't hold a candle to him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ugh, First Contact/Lost Tribe, when they mentioned Hammond died... I had to pause and give myself a while before I could go on.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Ugh, First Contact/Lost Tribe, when they mentioned Hammond died... I had to pause and give myself a while before I could go on.

lololololololololololol

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Was it in this thread that someone posted that Don S Davis actually insisted on the general being useful instead of being the typical obstructionist he was originally written as?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I like to imagine his character in Twin Peaks is the same guy somehow.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lololololololololololol

Go on. Get it out of your system.

Your laughter will never hurt me more than Hammond's passing did.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Of Texas.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Suspicious posted:

Was it in this thread that someone posted that Don S Davis actually insisted on the general being useful instead of being the typical obstructionist he was originally written as?

Yes. He was a (real) Captain in the Army and didn't want to play the stereotypical moron military commander so instead he went with the hyper-competent General Hammond :science:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Not only did he want to be portrayed as competent and supportive, he also never wanted to be the focus of the show. He was adamant that the show be about SG1 and would refuse to let the writers make an episode just about him.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure he savior of the universe. He saved everyone of us.

He's just a man. Nothing but a man.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Hard Clumping posted:

Not only did he want to be portrayed as competent and supportive, he also never wanted to be the focus of the show. He was adamant that the show be about SG1 and would refuse to let the writers make an episode just about him.

Which is a shame, because I really liked the episode where he was forced to retire and O'Neill went after Maybourne. That's probably the most Hammondy episode we got, and I could've stood more.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

The best Hammond moment was when Teal'c was stuck in the gate and they were ordered to start using the gate again. Carter objects and he says something along the lines of: "it's a legal order. All I can do is resign and they'll have a new CO down here in an hour. Would that be enough time?". From anyone else that would have come across as passive-aggressive "just following orders" hand-washing, but from Hammond you know drat well that if Carter had said yes he'd have resigned without hesitation. Don Davis and George Hammond were both awesome.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Grammar

The grammar of the Goa'uld language is fairly simple to grasp, the language uses a subject verb object (SVO) word order, as in English.

Pronouns

The pronouns of Goa'uld are fairly simple. At present, it is believed that Goa'uld has no third-person pronoun; instead, one uses the proper noun for that object.

The pronouns are:

Ta—I
Lo—you

Plural forms of these are created with the suffix -p, creating tap "we" and lop "you". The proper noun can also be used instead of the pronoun. It is unknown as to whether any special suffixes are used to indicate possession.

Verbs

Verbs in Goa'uld do not inflect for tense or person. Therefore, the Goa'uld verb tal pac can, depending on the situation, mean "to fall", "falling", "fell", "will fall", et cetera. In general, the context of the situation or time phrases in a sentence will indicate when the verb is taking place, as in most forms of Chinese.

Suffix order

Suffixes will be numbered (1), (2), (3) in the order that they belong. Intentionally or unintentionally, this is similar to the Klingon language; if the former, it could be a complex joke (a thing for which SG-1 writers are notorious). For example:
nok "now" with -ia "not" (1) and -k "to be" (2) is nokiak "in the beginning there was". Notice that this is translated as "in the beginning", and not "in the end" or "not now", although it could mean either. The phrase mel nok "after now" is used to mean "later", while nokia is used to mean "earlier".

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Flatscan posted:

The best Hammond moment was when Teal'c was stuck in the gate and they were ordered to start using the gate again. Carter objects and he says something along the lines of: "it's a legal order. All I can do is resign and they'll have a new CO down here in an hour. Would that be enough time?". From anyone else that would have come across as passive-aggressive "just following orders" hand-washing, but from Hammond you know drat well that if Carter had said yes he'd have resigned without hesitation. Don Davis and George Hammond were both awesome.

I just watched this one. There's actually a great pause, making you think at first it's "just following orders" thing, but no, he's actually willing to do this:

Hammond: "If I did that... I'd have to resign."
* Carter looks down, dismayed*
Hammond: "You'd have someone new here within the hour." [pause] "...is that enough time?"

Hammond rocks.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pwnstar posted:

Grammar

The grammar of the Goa'uld language is fairly simple to grasp, the language uses a subject verb object (SVO) word order, as in English.

Pronouns

The pronouns of Goa'uld are fairly simple. At present, it is believed that Goa'uld has no third-person pronoun; instead, one uses the proper noun for that object.

The pronouns are:

Ta—I
Lo—you

Plural forms of these are created with the suffix -p, creating tap "we" and lop "you". The proper noun can also be used instead of the pronoun. It is unknown as to whether any special suffixes are used to indicate possession.

Verbs

Verbs in Goa'uld do not inflect for tense or person. Therefore, the Goa'uld verb tal pac can, depending on the situation, mean "to fall", "falling", "fell", "will fall", et cetera. In general, the context of the situation or time phrases in a sentence will indicate when the verb is taking place, as in most forms of Chinese.

Suffix order

Suffixes will be numbered (1), (2), (3) in the order that they belong. Intentionally or unintentionally, this is similar to the Klingon language; if the former, it could be a complex joke (a thing for which SG-1 writers are notorious). For example:
nok "now" with -ia "not" (1) and -k "to be" (2) is nokiak "in the beginning there was". Notice that this is translated as "in the beginning", and not "in the end" or "not now", although it could mean either. The phrase mel nok "after now" is used to mean "later", while nokia is used to mean "earlier".

Daniel Jackson parachute account spotted.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Light Gun Man posted:

I like to imagine his character in Twin Peaks is the same guy somehow.

He also plays Agent Scully's dad on The X-Files, a Navy Captain. He's played a character in every branch, probably. I always assume they're all the same person, too. He's the guy each president got to command all the black-ops stuff.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Blasphemeral posted:

He also plays Agent Scully's dad on The X-Files, a Navy Captain. He's played a character in every branch, probably. I always assume they're all the same person, too. He's the guy each president got to command all the black-ops stuff.

In X-files it was Mulder's dad that did the black ops stuff.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

bobkatt013 posted:

In X-files it was Mulder's dad that did the black ops stuff.

He did the alien takeover conspiracy stuff. That we know about.
Hammond was just so good we never heard about his dirty laundry. :tinfoil:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Blasphemeral posted:

He did the alien takeover conspiracy stuff. That we know about.
Hammond was just so good we never heard about his dirty laundry. :tinfoil:

Besides JFK, MLK, 1980's Olympics, and keeping the Buffalo Bills from winning the Super Bowl.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Dirty posted:

Which is a shame, because I really liked the episode where he was forced to retire and O'Neill went after Maybourne. That's probably the most Hammondy episode we got, and I could've stood more.

Not so sure I agree - although I would love some well written Hammond eps, considering the lengths Amanda Tapping had to go to make sure her character was treated properly I'm not so sure I would have trusted the writers to make Hammond stories that were correct for him. His two stipulations were a sort of broad stroke way to make sure the writers balanced his character well, to keep them from making him The Most Super Cool Important Guy Ever And Also Buff As Hell Too (like Michael Shanks wanted), but also keeping him competent and vital, a character you like to see on your screen; someone who isn't forced into making lovely or dumb decisions for the sake of plot points (see: every IOA character).

That's not to say he can't kick rear end on occasion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytpqhSh_Iac&t=42s

(truth be told I was trying to find the video of him trying to reach the president, saying "do you know what color this phone is?" but this is redrad too)

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 10, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Is the best episode still considered to be the one where they are stuck in a timeloop and play golf into the stargate?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Pwnstar posted:

Grammar

Uh huh, that's great.

What does kree mean.

Go, Attack, Attention, Stop, Halt, Eyes On, Focus, Behind You; or as one episode suggests, is it a place?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

mossyfisk posted:

Uh huh, that's great.

What does kree mean.

Go, Attack, Attention, Stop, Halt, Eyes On, Focus, Behind You; or as one episode suggests, is it a place?

Yoo-hoo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Michaellaneous posted:

Is the best episode still considered to be the one where they are stuck in a timeloop and play golf into the stargate?

What kind of a question is that?

IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
You'd have to be "three fries short of a happy-meal" to think otherwise, frankly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

mossyfisk posted:

Uh huh, that's great.

What does kree mean.

I think it's a generic verb. It simply means "action" and its meaning in a sentence is derived from context.

You know, like the real life equivalent of "press X to interact"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Press F to pay respects to your god, shol'va.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Window of Opportunity is definitely up there, but it will never top season finales overall. If you refer to funniest, then definitely with some choice gems in other episodes... like Teal'c having coffee and getting rid of the ice cream before it melts.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

mossyfisk posted:

Uh huh, that's great.

What does kree mean.

The word kree has many meanings, but it is in essence used as a general call to attention or a call to duty. It is often used as a generic call to action, being translated as "be prepared", "aim", "listen up", "let's go", or even "yoo-hoo". Kree can be combined with verbs to indicate action or as an imperative. For example, kree hol means "We are going", "Let's go", and by adding mel "to die, to end" it becomes kree hol mel "We are standing by" or "Wait." It is frequently heard addressed to a particular group, as in, Jaffa, kree! (alternatively kree Jaffa!) "Listen up, Jaffa!" or "Jaffa, Attention!" It is occasionally heard addressed to other groups, such as Tok'ra, kree!, Tau'ri kree!, Goa'uld kree!, and Shol'va kree!.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

These posts are eerily reminiscent of the "grok" explanation scene from Stranger In A Strange Land.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Just saw Window of Opportunity for the first time.

Man, that was WACKO in the best way.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GuyUpNorth posted:

Window of Opportunity is definitely up there, but it will never top season finales overall. If you refer to funniest, then definitely with some choice gems in other episodes... like Teal'c having coffee and getting rid of the ice cream before it melts.

Teal'c, PI. Teal'c at the Vagina Monologues. Teal'c talking about undomesticated equines.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Luigi Thirty posted:

Teal'c, PI. Teal'c at the Vagina Monologues. Teal'c talking about undomesticated equines.

Teal'c and his Jaffa Jokes.

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 13, 2015

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Teal'c at the Vagina Monologues.

Hmm.. When you stop and think about it Teal'c has a giant set of "reproductive organs on the inside". He should be right at home.

You shouldn't stop to think about it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Season 6, Episode 10 "Cure"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GuyUpNorth posted:

I think Window of Opportunity is stronger than people tend to remember because while the main body of the episode is wacky, the ending is one of the more affecting they did, with Jack talking the guy down by pointing out that he couldn't watch his kid die over and over, no matter how much he'd love to spend another day with him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

I think Window of Opportunity is stronger than people tend to remember because while the main body of the episode is wacky, the ending is one of the more affecting they did, with Jack talking the guy down by pointing out that he couldn't watch his kid die over and over, no matter how much he'd love to spend another day with him.

That's absolutely why it's so great.

quote:

I LOST MY SON

RDA just kills that delivery, in that moment you believe he truly is the man who lost his son in a terrible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"Say for example that we accept they're an :airquote:alternate:airquote: SG-1 from a :airquote:parallel universe:airquote:..."

gently caress off Daniel. Seriously. Alternate reality SG-1 isn't the weirdest thing you had to deal with at the SGC. gently caress, it most likely wasn't the weirdest thing you had to deal with that loving week.