Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Well, you asked:

And that's exactly the advice I need, thanks. I figured it was a poo poo ad from the view/response ratio but it's tough to know why without a second set of eyes. But where are you seeing curb damage? That's gotta be an artifact of my Razr-grade photography skills because those wheels are near perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

And that's exactly the advice I need, thanks. I figured it was a poo poo ad from the view/response ratio but it's tough to know why without a second set of eyes. But where are you seeing curb damage? That's gotta be an artifact of my Razr-grade photography skills because those wheels are near perfect.

I am not seeing curb damage. I was saying if you did have curbed wheels move them to the back, since a lot of people selling on the 'jeej do not.

If you hit up local car forums you might be able to find one of the dudes who does car photography for fun who would be willing to take some snaps. I know a few guys who would probably help in exchange for sweat equity doing mods or repairs to their Subarus.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

SilentW posted:

Lemme give this a try when I get home tonight, I'll report back with any finagling I had to do.

Curious if you ever figured out what it is I'm doing wrong. I'm sure it's something obvious and dumb. I am not good with computer.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

MustardFacial posted:

I don't ignore everyone. I love everybody in AI

Me too, why can't we all just get along?

Also your av makes me grin every time. He's just so resigned to that mustard shot.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

It's so cold and foggy at work that the fog is condensing and dribbling down the toilet wall... This poo poo sucks, I haven't felt warm since 9am

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

goatse guy posted:

Now that the paperwork is signed, I bought my Miata for $5000. I've seen them go for almost twice that. I did promise to sell it back if I ever decide I don't want it though.

What makes this spec special?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ferremit posted:

It's so cold and foggy at work that the fog is condensing and dribbling down the toilet wall... This poo poo sucks, I haven't felt warm since 9am

Weather chat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I left the house - rain.
Got about half way to work on the bike - dry. Hooray!
Rode up the hill just past the previous point - rain.

loving drowned. You don't know shame until you've blowdried your ringpiece using a hand dryer because you forgot a towel.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ExplodingSims posted:

Even though I had an interest in cars and such at a younger age, I can pretty safely say I wouldn't care about some lovely BMW at that age either. Give me supercars or muscle cars thank you.

I think I was into every car at age 8, just high on being able to recognize and name them. Performance or handling meant nothing to me. I was/am really into dinosaurs, and I see the desire to classify and identify those as the same pleasure.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

goatse guy posted:

Now that the paperwork is signed, I bought my Miata for $5000. I've seen them go for almost twice that. I did promise to sell it back if I ever decide I don't want it though.
:hfive:

MustardFacial posted:

Computer Information Systems Administration (Network Systems Administration Option)
That's a good path and you should have some nice options when you graduate. My advice is if you don't know Linux start leaning as much as possible right now, pick up a Raspberry Pi if needed. Keep a clean record, stay out of trouble and you should be in good shape. We're always looking for sysadmins that know Linux.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

What the hell was up with the time limit on the Home Run Derby this year? Super weird.

Two of the 3 dogs my girl had died within the past 6 months. The third looked so loving sad last night. They got a new puppy but the old dog just lies around looking like its crying. I can't take it. :cry:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What the hell was up with the time limit on the Home Run Derby this year? Super weird.

Two of the 3 dogs my girl had died within the past 6 months. The third looked so loving sad last night. They got a new puppy but the old dog just lies around looking like its crying. I can't take it. :cry:

Because the old format was boring as gently caress and dragged on all night. The new format is you have 4 minutes to hit as many dingers as you can. Hit two over 425 ft, get an extra 30 seconds. Making it a bracket system really upped the competitive nature of the Derby and made it super exciting and very fun to watch.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Somebody had driven their Traction Avant to work today, I'll try and grab a picture later. :eyepop:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Took the e30 to work today. Looked at the weather and welp coming home I'm gonna be driving through severe thunderstorms and my driver headlight is...wonky...at best, flame-y at worst. Oops.

Because rolling project car that I take out on what I think are going to be/supposed to be nice days.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I think I have some type of sweaty fat person disease. Yeah it's like 100* up here but I shouldn't be soaking my jeans with sweat after 2 hours. Now I have to waddle around work the rest of the day trying not to chafe. Ugh.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I think I have some type of sweaty fat person disease. Yeah it's like 100* up here but I shouldn't be soaking my jeans with sweat after 2 hours. Now I have to waddle around work the rest of the day trying not to chafe. Ugh.

Could be because this state is practically one big swamp and the humidity is like 92%+ today.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Thanks for sharing.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I've always been a sweaty mess with any humidity in the air. I used to skip classes because I'd get so sweaty walking up the hill from the parking lot, I was too embarassed to be seen like that. drat my Italian and Greek blood! My good friend is skinny as hell but he is Lebonese so he sweats just like me. This is why I bring 4 t-shirts to work. Ugh.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Replaced the circuit board in the MSD RTR distributor in my LTD. It runs now, just barely. Misfiring and only running on maybe half its cylinders. Timing light shows that each plug is only firing about half as much as it should. Everything was installed correctly. I'm really just thinking about spending the $400 on a new distributor just so I can get this thing sold before I move. It's pissing me off, nine years with no real issues and now this bullshit. At least with Hagerty it only costs about $20 a month to just sit there.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Cakefool posted:

No power steering, crank windows, LSD, cloth seats, Bilstein suspension, alloy wheels, front and rear lip spoilers, and a trunk lid spoiler. A/C was the only option. Back in the day it used to be the car to have for autocross.

SAC, switch to clothes made from synthetic fabrics. Anything made from cotton, like jeans, will hold the perspiration in and make you more miserable.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cakefool posted:

Autotosser special:
- Bilsteins
- Front/rear air dams (rear is garbage)
- Manual rack

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

SFH1989 posted:

Replaced the circuit board in the MSD RTR distributor in my LTD. It runs now, just barely. Misfiring and only running on maybe half its cylinders. Timing light shows that each plug is only firing about half as much as it should. Everything was installed correctly. I'm really just thinking about spending the $400 on a new distributor just so I can get this thing sold before I move. It's pissing me off, nine years with no real issues and now this bullshit. At least with Hagerty it only costs about $20 a month to just sit there.

Isn't it a Ford 460? Just hit the junkyard, much cheaper than a brand new distributor.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

429 but I'm not going to go backwards especially since I'm trying to sell it. "Well it had and MSD in it but that stopped working so I got something from the junkyard, just for you. Don't worry I didn't cheap out on anything else since I've been trying to sell it, trust me."

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

SFH1989 posted:

429 but I'm not going to go backwards especially since I'm trying to sell it. "Well it had and MSD in it but that stopped working so I got something from the junkyard, just for you. Don't worry I didn't cheap out on anything else since I've been trying to sell it, trust me."

Well, if the MSD isn't in it then it doesn't matter.

Id rather have stock components that work instead of some lovely aftermarket part that doesn't work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Same. MSD might be cool and all but I'd rather buy a stock vehicle than one some unknown person has modified. An MSD box or a hot air intake is a huge warning sign to me.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

It's a 45 year old car that came with a points distributor and a two barrel. I've replaced everything anyway.

This is what the engine bay looks like now and what all the pictures I have ready to show look like.

I was in high school when I did all this which didn't help. It would have gone differently if I had done this now.

I should probably just get the distributor I have to work. This is just really annoying. Maybe I'll get a junkyard distributor and spray paint the cap red, close enough.

I keep thinking about the show I saw on Spike, or something like that, where they converted an LS1 to have a carburetor and distributor. This poo poo is annoying as hell, why would you go backwards?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I feel like a few tons of bricks just got dropped on my head.

"Mom" and "cancer" are not words you ever want to hear in the same sentence.

I'm going to go find a dark corner to curl up in for a bit.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

SFH1989 posted:

I keep thinking about the show I saw on Spike, or something like that, where they converted an LS1 to have a carburetor and distributor. This poo poo is annoying as hell, why would you go backwards?

Because Merica.

No, seriously, just hit the yards and get a new one. I never have been impressed with MSD's stuff.

some texas redneck posted:

Sorry dude :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Oh dude :( I'm so sorry

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

NitroSpazzz posted:

:hfive:

That's a good path and you should have some nice options when you graduate. My advice is if you don't know Linux start leaning as much as possible right now, pick up a Raspberry Pi if needed. Keep a clean record, stay out of trouble and you should be in good shape. We're always looking for sysadmins that know Linux.

I've messed around with it a bunch as a kid, got my own version of Slackware mostly up and running but then I got stuck in dependency hell and went "gently caress this." Tried again a few years later and got it running properly. But then didn't have anything to actually do on it apart from web browsing.

I already have a raspberry pi, I had this idea of using a hall effect sensor(I think that's the one) and a couple LED's to tell me when the mail had come in. Never got around to actually building it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Cross-post from the Volvo thread just because it's bizarre and related to some snapchats I sent out last night and I want to try to figure it out before it drives me absolutely loving insane.

Alright guys, weird-rear end issue on my 850.

The car: 1997 Volvo 850, 143kish miles. check engine light on for various misfires and probably an O2 sensor, don't care, car drives fine. ABS/TRAC lights on due to left rear wheel speed sensor, which broke in its housing. Don't care, will fill before winter maybe. Aftermarket radio/Sirius installed six years ago, head unit stopped working a few months ago, fuse is pulled for stereo power. No tunes sucks but I'm reinstalling the factory CD player when I get to it. I don't think any of these are causing my issue.

The issue: Starting yesterday, there is a buzzer that goes off once I hit 50 mph. It could also be a motor of some sort. It isn't a vibration or something fluttering, it sounds like a door buzzer. It's a very deliberate noise. It's coming from about the center of the dash, by the firewall near as I can tell. It isn't dependent on speed or RPM, and isn't related to the blower motor, the wiper motors or the windshield washer pump. It comes on at 50, every time like clockwork, then turns off once I go below 45. Like it's some kind of alarm.

I've seen other people with this issue but I can't find a solution. It isn't any pieces of trim buzzing against the roof or any parts of the steering column, like people in that post were thinking. It's a buzzer for some kind of alarm or something.

Anybody have any ideas? It's really. goddamn. annoying.

I posted a snapchat of the buzzing for those of you that like to show your penis to strangers, but I can upload a video when I get home. But imagine a loud buzzer noise, like an apartment buzzer, and that's the sound.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Stay strong dude.

CornHolio posted:

Cross-post from the Volvo thread just because it's bizarre and related to some snapchats I sent out last night and I want to try to figure it out before it drives me absolutely loving insane.

Alright guys, weird-rear end issue on my 850.

The car: 1997 Volvo 850, 143kish miles. check engine light on for various misfires and probably an O2 sensor, don't care, car drives fine. ABS/TRAC lights on due to left rear wheel speed sensor, which broke in its housing. Don't care, will fill before winter maybe. Aftermarket radio/Sirius installed six years ago, head unit stopped working a few months ago, fuse is pulled for stereo power. No tunes sucks but I'm reinstalling the factory CD player when I get to it. I don't think any of these are causing my issue.

The issue: Starting yesterday, there is a buzzer that goes off once I hit 50 mph. It could also be a motor of some sort. It isn't a vibration or something fluttering, it sounds like a door buzzer. It's a very deliberate noise. It's coming from about the center of the dash, by the firewall near as I can tell. It isn't dependent on speed or RPM, and isn't related to the blower motor, the wiper motors or the windshield washer pump. It comes on at 50, every time like clockwork, then turns off once I go below 45. Like it's some kind of alarm.

I've seen other people with this issue but I can't find a solution. It isn't any pieces of trim buzzing against the roof or any parts of the steering column, like people in that post were thinking. It's a buzzer for some kind of alarm or something.

Anybody have any ideas? It's really. goddamn. annoying.

I posted a snapchat of the buzzing for those of you that like to show your penis to strangers, but I can upload a video when I get home. But imagine a loud buzzer noise, like an apartment buzzer, and that's the sound.

I don't know if this is the same, but on the V70 XC, the Climate Control unit has a tiny air sampling sensor with a fan that can buzz if dirty, I don't know if the 850 has it, but its in the dash and can sound like a tiny buzzer.

EDIT: After a bit of quick searching, yep, your climate control system has one:

Don't know why it would change with speed :shrug:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 14, 2015

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Ugh, that's no good, man. My mom is going in for a biopsy on something they found in a mammogram last week, which has me all worked up. She's also got pneumonia right now.

stay strong, STR.

bandman fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 14, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Fuuuuck working with micromanagers. My lead is digging through my outlook calendar and inviting himself to my meetings.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Cancer can be no big deal. Both of my parents were diagnosed with it within 6 months of each other maybe 4 years ago. My mother lost her bladder and my father only has one testicle, but they're fine now.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

One club I hate welcoming people to.

What's the prognosis?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

I don't know if this is the same, but on the V70 XC, the Climate Control unit has a tiny air sampling sensor with a fan that can buzz if dirty, I don't know if the 850 has it, but its in the dash and can sound like a tiny buzzer.

EDIT: After a bit of quick searching, yep, your climate control system has one:

Don't know why it would change with speed :shrug:

I don't think that's it, unless it comes on at 50mph like clockwork and shuts off like clockwork when I go slower.

Edit: it's so deliberate it's almost like it's a "hood open" or "trunk open" buzzer.

Oh poo poo dude :(

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 14, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

poo poo dude, I'm sorry to hear that :glomp:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

:glomp: I'm sorry dude, we're all here for you

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:sympathy: I can't even imagine.

I mean treatments are pretty good these days, but whatever happens we're here for ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

goatse guy posted:

No power steering, crank windows, LSD, cloth seats, Bilstein suspension, alloy wheels, front and rear lip spoilers, and a trunk lid spoiler. A/C was the only option. Back in the day it used to be the car to have for autocross.

So the AI unicorn? :v: Looks fantastic.

CornHolio posted:

I don't think that's it, unless it comes on at 50mph like clockwork and shuts off like clockwork when I go slower.

Edit: it's so deliberate it's almost like it's a "hood open" or "trunk open" buzzer.

Who owned it before you? Is it an auto?

Hugs STR. We're here.

• Locked thread