Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 383 days!
I just got a PS TV so I can play Persona 4:G, and also got Tales of Hearts. Any other recommendations? There seem to be alot of jrpgs available for it but they all look samey and gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Jansen was definitely helped immensely by his English VO. The complete disconnect of the dreams from the plot really hurt it and I don't know why you'd hire a novelist to write side material and then write the actual story yourself, except because you're Sakaguchi.

Anyway Mystic Quest has a lot of neat and innovative ideas even if they didn't all pan out or gel together. Encounters on the map, fights go quickly, monsters becoming visibly injured as their HP falls, badass music, clean gameplay, mild puzzle elements. I guess one could say Lufia 2 did most of that better but there are worse summaries than "not as good as Lufia 2."

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

tenderjerk posted:

I just got a PS TV so I can play Persona 4:G, and also got Tales of Hearts. Any other recommendations? There seem to be alot of jrpgs available for it but they all look samey and gross

Demon Gaze

Also both Danganronpa games, not sure if those really count as RPGs.

Edit: Or just keep playing P4G because it is awesome.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I have a $5 gamestop gift card so if i used that i could get lost odyssey for $5. the only other xbox 360 rpgs that are super cheap are enchanted arms and eternal sonata lol

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah it's worth 5 bucks

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's worth a lot more than that really. i was hard on it but only because people were overselling it imo, it's a good game

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If you liked Sakaguchi-era FFs like FF4 (and if you didn't come on dude) it's certainly worth playing. Just expect exactly the sort of story a SNES RPG would provide you because it makes roughly as much sense as that.

Gongora's mustache is pretty bitchin' too even if he's kind of lame as a villain.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Also both Danganronpa games, not sure if those really count as RPGs.

Not even remotely.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
true cool guys learn about Blue Dragon's boss theme through Barkley

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ys games are on vita and they're super good arpgs. i don't think all of them are compatible with vita tv though.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
lost odyssey is a PSX era final fantasy game that looks prettier, has a decent turn based system, good music, Jansenn, and a lovely villain.

Worth up $15 imo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I could have sworn Blue Dragon had a boss where the music would sync up so it would like the boss was doing the shouting part at the beginning of Eternity during their intro cutscene, but looking around for a few minutes it looks like it doesn't so that game can go into the garbage.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Ys games are on vita and they're super good arpgs. i don't think all of them are compatible with vita tv though.
Yeah I beat Ys 7 and Celceta and they're good times. Not as good as Oath though, which I think is also on PSP.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nakar posted:

Gongora's mustache is pretty bitchin' too even if he's kind of lame as a villain.

Tonight, I feel like making doo-doo golems!

That was such a bad scene.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

The White Dragon posted:

Tonight, I feel like making doo-doo golems!

That was such a bad scene.
Or the part where he hoovers up blood because something something royal blood.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Levantine posted:

It's just simple and inoffensive due to that simplicity. There's not a lot to dislike about the game. There's not a lot to like either, but that's a better ratio than most FF games :v:

At least everyone can agree the soundtrack is bitching, right?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Codiekitty posted:

It is a very good soundtrack.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Jansen is great. That's my Lost Odyssey opinion.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Codiekitty posted:

It was a hell of a thing after Blue Dragon's... whatever that was. Like Uematsu suddenly remembered how to compose.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

WrightOfWay posted:

I just got to a part where one of the kids gets possessed by a demon. Jansen's response: "Wow, puberty's weird." PSX era FF never had a character this good.

Seth is great too because she's voiced by Rikku.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's not nearly enough (j)RPGs.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

WrightOfWay posted:

This is literally the only game that makes me feel bad about getting rid of my 360.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
LO would probably be one of my favorite JRPGs if it wasn't for such a clown villain. Kind of like how the villain in Last Remant is a complete clown too but not as much of a clown as the MC

Also if the 4th disc (I think it was 4 discs?) wasn't complete garbo

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The main character of last remnant is basically keanu reeves bill & ted era if he was an anime teen

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Quest For Glory II posted:

The main character of last remnant is basically keanu reeves bill & ted era if he was an anime teen

My favorite thing about The Last Remnant is that it's one of the rare games that doesn't CARE if you don't want to see all the content. Having half the goddamn continent be optional in the first disc (maybe in both, I can't remember, never tried doing a straight story playthrough) is a seriously bold move. It's why I like the SaGa games too (besides Unlimited which is just... Too weird even for me), because they actually ALLOW YOU TO MISS THINGS.

Everyone should give Romancing Saga Minstrel Song a try at some point. Now THERE'S a game with a fantastic soundtrack.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

i dont like xenosaga, but kosmos and telos make me make this face: :greencube:

i imagine there are many in this position

I'm pretty sure XS' entire marketing campaign was based on getting that reaction to draw people in.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

My favorite thing about The Last Remnant is that it's one of the rare games that doesn't CARE if you don't want to see all the content. Having half the goddamn continent be optional in the first disc (maybe in both, I can't remember, never tried doing a straight story playthrough) is a seriously bold move. It's why I like the SaGa games too (besides Unlimited which is just... Too weird even for me), because they actually ALLOW YOU TO MISS THINGS.

Everyone should give Romancing Saga Minstrel Song a try at some point. Now THERE'S a game with a fantastic soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMEr2KWv5tc

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfUohC4SyQQ

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

This is literally the only game that makes me feel bad about getting rid of my 360.

Same, Lost Odyssey and Dead Rising 1 are the only 360 games I really miss. I'd buy PC ports in a heartbeat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

There's not nearly enough (j)RPGs.

There's lots they just all have NepNep in them now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WrightOfWay posted:

People talk up Jansen's English VA but his Japanese VA was goddamn outstanding, too. The beginning of the proverbial third act where the ballad is playing, and then it turns out he's singing along in Engrish just stuck with me so much.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

There's lots they just all have NepNep in them now.
That reminds me.
The new Langrisser is coming out. Impressions seem to be that the franchise should have stayed dead.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I liked Lost Odyssey but it definitely had a bunch of problems. Battles took forever sometimes and the load times were awful. It felt really slow for the first half of the game and then from around the end of disc 2 to disc 4 the game is fantastic.

The funeral minigame was a dumb idea.

I finished LISA....that was insanely hosed up.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Vampires were serious business in that game. They need a serious soundtrack.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

I liked Lost Odyssey but it definitely had a bunch of problems. Battles took forever sometimes and the load times were awful. It felt really slow for the first half of the game and then from around the end of disc 2 to disc 4 the game is fantastic.

The funeral minigame was a dumb idea.

I finished LISA....that was insanely hosed up.

Load times got much better once you installed the game when the dashboard update that allowed 360 games to do that came out but given how expensive and limited 360 hard drives were, 32GB was a hefty size at the time.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I had it installed when I played and on the larger enemy formations (worst case scenario) it took about 15 seconds to load the fight. Installing it helps but fights already took a bit too long to finish.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

my wife has a friend with this tattoo

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

hubris.height posted:

my wife has a friend with this tattoo

Can he make it laugh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height