Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Can someone please explain why people keep throwing out "black robed" judges/lawyers when it comes to berating the justices that okay'd SSM? Is there like some sort of biblical context that I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
They're implying the judges are sith lords obviously

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

unwantedplatypus posted:

They're implying the judges are sith lords obviously

And in the case of Scalia, they'd be right.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Morter posted:

Can someone please explain why people keep throwing out "black robed" judges/lawyers when it comes to berating the justices that okay'd SSM? Is there like some sort of biblical context that I'm missing?

If I had to guess, it's because it calls to mind that these aren't your representatives--they don't even dress like you!

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Morter posted:

You're not missing a thing. (it sounds sinister, I guess)

The messaging of the right-wing hate machine totally collapsed in on itself after the 26th.
I didn't expect it to be this bad, but they've been flailing around in their attempt to demonize gays and delegitimize the supreme court decision.

The timing was sublime:
To counter rainbow facebook images, they decided to use American Flag images - right before July 4th. So that went over as well as you expect. I'm sure our troops felt very supported in late June and early July.

And a racist virgin shot up an historic black church in an horrific massacre, so their most favored rallying banner of hateful rebellion is now off limits to them for the short term.

And the Republican primary is underway, and everybody is jones'ing to hate on gays as much as possible, but only in the most passive-aggressive way possible because they know the way the wind is blowing, even in their own party. The money and messaging is shifting, and they have to adapt with subtle silence.

It's as if a God on high is orchestrating a confluence of political events to make a backlash on gays unacceptable for the short term.

So far there has been no organized response to the legalization of marriage nationwide.

That'll change, but for now it's just one big victory lap of bigot tears.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Morter posted:

Coming from a background that involved a lot of that sort of stupidity, the night or just the color black can be seen as the domain of THE DEVIL!!!! to brainless fundamentalists, so they're likely trying to equate them with evil/THE DEVIL!!!! by drawing attention to that.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Do It Once Right posted:

It's as if a God on high is orchestrating a confluence of political events to make a backlash on gays unacceptable for the short term.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Tony Perkins on Trans* troops being able to serve their country

quote:

The military discriminates constantly in its attempts to find the best physical and mental recruits it can. Why is this any different? Otherwise qualified men and women are turned away from the military every day for bad eyes, flat feet, asthma, and a host of other truly immutable characteristics. Yet in the phony name of fairness, our leaders would willingly let people into the military whose mental state is not only unstable -- but a detriment to their fellow service members? It's illogical. Allergies can keep you out of the military, but gender dysphoria can't? The tension with China and Iran is escalating, and America's strength is declining. Instead of Humvees, we're buying hormones. A military whose budget was cut to bare bones will suddenly be forking over millions of dollars for surgeries, therapies, pills, and retrofitting of facilities. And for what? Certainly not to make the military more capable of performing its mission. It is time for our nation's military leaders to put their stars on the line and tell the President 'no.' The thousands of men and women who serve in our military follow the orders flowing from the Pentagon, trusting that their leaders are doing what is necessary to accomplish the military's mission -- not the deviant agenda of this President." - Tony Perkins

There is so much to take from this statement

Also, who knew flat feet was a deal breaker

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hmmm, we turn away people with medical conditions that can impair them in combat...I don't think gender identity does that.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

jivjov posted:

Hmmm, we turn away people with medical conditions that can impair them in combat...I don't think gender identity does that.
If they're on hormone treatments it might be relevant to their medical fitness, but I don't see why that can't be decided case by case. And they'd need to work out kinks like "does a person with XY chromosomes, not currently on hormones, who IDs as female have to meet the male fitness standards or the female ones?"

That doesn't seem like an unimaginable hurdle, though.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

jivjov posted:

What if they're about to shoot someone and their penis gets in the way and they're like "I REFUSE TO RECOGNIZE THE PENIS GOD GAVE ME" and they only accidentally shoot one civilian instead of all of them???

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

pookel posted:

If they're on hormone treatments it might be relevant to their medical fitness, but I don't see why that can't be decided case by case. And they'd need to work out kinks like "does a person with XY chromosomes, not currently on hormones, who IDs as female have to meet the male fitness standards or the female ones?"

That doesn't seem like an unimaginable hurdle, though.

Yeah...on a similar note, I got involved in a debate over trans people and organized sporting events. We walked away not having reached any kind of real agreement or answer...

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

jivjov posted:

Yeah...on a similar note, I got involved in a debate over trans people and organized sporting events. We walked away not having reached any kind of real agreement or answer...

I have no idea what to do there either.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

On what loving planet has the U.S. military budget been 'cut to the bone'?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even see that bit! Hahaha, what loving reality is he living in? Couldn't we cut 60% of our military spending and be spending more than any two other powers combined?

Gounads posted:

I have no idea what to do there either.

Yeah...because looking at average baseline, biological males are always going to have a strength advantage. And even a trans woman on hormones could potentially have gone through puberty still completely biologically male and thus have a pretty statistically significant advantage over cis women.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Maybe fitness for duty should be assessed on an individual basis, idk.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

jivjov posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even see that bit! Hahaha, what loving reality is he living in? Couldn't we cut 60% of our military spending and be spending more than any two other powers combined?

Yeah...because looking at average baseline, biological males are always going to have a strength advantage. And even a trans woman on hormones could potentially have gone through puberty still completely biologically male and thus have a pretty statistically significant advantage over cis women.

We spend more than the next top 14ish, so we'd have to cut more than that, I'd think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jivjov posted:

Depends how you are handling it, if it's making you depressed or otherwise unwell then, yeah it's kind of a problem. Presumably it would be possible to pass a psych evaluation depending on the person but a blanket "thanks but we're not really interested" isn't too outlandish if they don't want to spend money and don't expect to get many passes out of it. The military are stupidly overfunded but they don't like spending it on actual soldiers.

Depends whether you consider being able to join the army to be a right, which I don't think it is?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 15, 2015

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

jivjov posted:

The Olympics has allowed transgender athletes since 2004, provided they've been on Hormone Replacement Therapy for two years. Shockingly, legions of swole transgender women haven't walked away with all the gold medals and olympic records. Why? Because a transgender woman on HRT produces far less testosterone than a cisgender woman. They're basically on anti-steroids. While some transwomen might be taller or have longer limbs than your average (keyword: average!) ciswoman, they tend to be weaker, and have poorer endurance. See Fallon Fox slamming into a bit of a brick wall once she started moving up in MMA.

The problem is that all the Joe Rogans and other reactionary turds in the sports world would rather make snap judgements than actually learn what it is they're talking about.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Luminous Obscurity posted:

The Olympics has allowed transgender athletes since 2004, provided they've been on Hormone Replacement Therapy for two years. Shockingly, legions of swole transgender women haven't walked away with all the gold medals and olympic records. Why? Because a transgender woman on HRT produces far less testosterone than a cisgender woman. They're basically on anti-steroids. While some transwomen might be taller or have longer limbs than your average (keyword: average!) ciswoman, they tend to be weaker, and have poorer endurance. See Fallon Fox slamming into a bit of a brick wall once she started moving up in MMA.

The problem is that all the Joe Rogans and other reactionary turds in the sports world would rather make snap judgements than actually learn what it is they're talking about.

Thanks for all the info! I didn't even know about the Olympic thing (but I will admit to not having done a whole lot of research on the topic; my last debate was at a bar)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just let people play according to their gender identity. It's not like various epi-/genetic and developmental factors don't already give some athletes an advantage over others in their chosen sport.

I guess it might be a problem for fight sports like boxing, so maybe handle those on a case-by-case basis. I doubt that the population of boxers/MMA-ists and the population of transgender persons are both so large that it would be a frequent issue.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wait..what

Obama is going to Kenya and will speak about LGBT rights and one anti group is protesting

quote:

“The procession shall be carried out by approximately 5,000 totally naked men and women to protest President Barack Obama’s open and aggressive support for Homosexuality.

“The party’s main objective is for him to understand the difference between a man and a woman.”

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/7802178

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thousands of dongs flapping in the wind, the truest opposition to homosexuality. :911:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Some of the stuff in religion, that people regard as historical/literal fact, I merely regard as 'silly fairy tales'...

But the idea of "You let two adults (of the same gender) live with each other in peace?! Obviously you want to negate all heterosexual couples ever!!" is one of the most blatant departures from reality and logic I've ever seen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the idea is that they believe that gay people are physically incapable of having "proper" adult relationships and actually they want to have satan pedophile orgies all the time while using their marriage as cover. Marriage is only a thing that straight white christian people can do, everyone else is basically the marquis de sade in disguise, and letting them pretend to marry is just degrading the validity of "real" marriage.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Wait..what

Obama is going to Kenya and will speak about LGBT rights and one anti group is protesting

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/7802178

I don't think he'd get it. You better start telling the people to just gently caress each other so he'd understand you're talking about breeding and not nudism or something.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Crabtree posted:

I don't think he'd get it. You better start telling the people to just gently caress each other so he'd understand you're talking about breeding and not nudism or something.

:jerkbag:

Great, now its actually a scene out of a John dies at the End specifically that scene where they transition into the :cthulhu:'s home dimension.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OwlFancier posted:

I think the idea is that they believe that gay people are physically incapable of having "proper" adult relationships and actually they want to have satan pedophile orgies all the time while using their marriage as cover. Marriage is only a thing that straight white christian people can do, everyone else is basically the marquis de sade in disguise, and letting them pretend to marry is just degrading the validity of "real" marriage.

No kidding, most Christian fundies really do believe the only sort of pleasure, fulfillment, or anything positive at all people get out of gay relationships is the perverse thrill of defying God and making life hard for Christians. They really do think that is the only possible reason to do it.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Cythereal posted:

No kidding, most Christian fundies really do believe the only sort of pleasure, fulfillment, or anything positive at all people get out of gay relationships is the perverse thrill of defying God and making life hard for Christians. They really do think that is the only possible reason to do it.

Well, it's the only reason I do it but I'm probably an outlier.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cythereal posted:

You have to admit, those are pretty compelling reasons to do anything!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

You have to admit, those are pretty compelling reasons to do anything!

Get thee behind me, Satan.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cythereal posted:

I'd saw that's more of a perk than a driving force :D

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Get thee behind me, Satan.

I hope Jesus said that while doing this :yosbutt:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Flipping god the bird has always been my signal for "I'm close".

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
As they say: "Hasa diga eebowai"!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Klaus88 posted:

:jerkbag:

Great, now its actually a scene out of a John dies at the End specifically that scene where they transition into the :cthulhu:'s home dimension.

I think we can wear down the conservatives if we just keep stonewalling them with ignorance of "traditional marriage values" until they're the ones debasing themselves trying to explain it. Just imagine the last holdouts of anti-gay marriage being reduced to deviants that are just as soon arrested for public indecency than allowed to speak. Nothing like the polite homosexuals that are just trying to raise their children in peace without those straight pride freaks harassing these poor wholesome families at every turn.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Just imagine the last holdouts of anti-gay marriage being reduced to deviants that are just as soon arrested for public indecency than allowed to speak.

You have just described the exact horror situation that these people believe they've been living in since 26 June 2015.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Crabtree posted:

I think we can wear down the conservatives if we just keep stonewalling them with ignorance of "traditional marriage values" until they're the ones debasing themselves trying to explain it. Just imagine the last holdouts of anti-gay marriage being reduced to deviants that are just as soon arrested for public indecency than allowed to speak. Nothing like the polite homosexuals that are just trying to raise their children in peace without those straight pride freaks harassing these poor wholesome families at every turn.

I honestly, and worryingly, believe that the last holdouts of this mindset are Christian terrorists--not unlike these--that threaten to vandalize or harm places and people that allow for gay marriage.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's not so much that as the procurement budget is spent mainly on poo poo that never actually gets made (see: M16 and then the M4 successor programs, that smart grenade launcher), or stuff that the military doesn't actually want at all (more tanks). Plus there's the whole problem with the tanker fleet being 40 years old and F-15s falling out of the sky and combat ships literally disintegrating because they stupidly launched them without galvanic protection. The money is being spent but not in the way that it needs to be going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's not so much that as the procurement budget is spent mainly on poo poo that never actually gets made (see: M16 and then the M4 successor programs, that smart grenade launcher), or stuff that the military doesn't actually want at all (more tanks). Plus there's the whole problem with the tanker fleet being 40 years old and F-15s falling out of the sky and combat ships literally disintegrating because they stupidly launched them without galvanic protection. The money is being spent but not in the way that it needs to be going forward.

And the money isn't getting sent where it needs to go mainly because of horse trading in Congress. The US Army tried to tell Congress not to buy any more tanks, they don't want or need any more tanks and have more than enough, but Congress told the Army to shut up and get more tanks because of the tank manufacturers. See also the F-35 boondoggle.

• Locked thread